IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:This is mostly speculation on my part, but I expect the more "average" score holders to start seeing offers as we get later into the admissions cycle. It seems that by padding their roster with high scores, this will give them some room to accept the median and lower scores without worrying so much about where the median will fall when it's all said and done.

I think it's pretty clear that the main concern this year is raising their LSAT median and, as a result, ranking. Stands to reason that students that can help in this regard would be admitted and/or offered $$$ first.

+1

That would explain their offering big money to splitters, even extreme splitters with very low GPAs. Here's to hoping they look past my low GPA and become fixated on my 167 :wink:

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
RooksWS6 wrote:This is mostly speculation on my part, but I expect the more "average" score holders to start seeing offers as we get later into the admissions cycle. It seems that by padding their roster with high scores, this will give them some room to accept the median and lower scores without worrying so much about where the median will fall when it's all said and done.

I think it's pretty clear that the main concern this year is raising their LSAT median and, as a result, ranking. Stands to reason that students that can help in this regard would be admitted and/or offered $$$ first.

+1

That would explain their offering big money to splitters, even extreme splitters with very low GPAs. Here's to hoping they look past my low GPA and become fixated on my 167 :wink:

I am hoping my 166 is still good enough for their median goals!

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:+1

I was lucky enough to benefit from the splitter love. :D Hopefully it works out in your favor too. I'm also a 167.

Didnt you also apply to UM? I'm still waiting to hear something back and it's driving me crazy!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:+1

I was lucky enough to benefit from the splitter love. :D Hopefully it works out in your favor too. I'm also a 167.

Didnt you also apply to UM? I'm still waiting to hear something back and it's driving me crazy!

UM held me, so I am about to withdraw. I have an offer from SJU and im in at GW, and Miami is not particularly high on my list. Even if I get in, I dont think Im going to go.

CooleyReject

Postby CooleyReject » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:19 pm

I wonder if IUB will show my 172 a little love even though I decided to apply kind of late. Does anyone have any thoughts on the number of 120k schollys IUB seems to be giving out? It strikes me as a tad odd considering the data available for last year on LSN.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 pm

CooleyReject wrote:I wonder if IUB will show my 172 a little love even though I decided to apply kind of late. Does anyone have any thoughts on the number of 120k schollys IUB seems to be giving out? It strikes me as a tad odd considering the data available for last year on LSN.

I don't think there is a distinct number. I imagine they use an index. They must know a good majority of those people won't attend, many probably even withdraw early.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 am

High LSAT scores almost by definition are a scarcer commodity, so it just serves to purpose that you'd secure that first. Theres no real cap on how many good gpas universities can give, so they're far easier to get later in cycles.

I suspect once they get a clearer idea of how their class is looking, they'll start looking to boost the gpa averages.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 am

JenDarby wrote:
CooleyReject wrote:I wonder if IUB will show my 172 a little love even though I decided to apply kind of late. Does anyone have any thoughts on the number of 120k schollys IUB seems to be giving out? It strikes me as a tad odd considering the data available for last year on LSN.

I don't think there is a distinct number. I imagine they use an index. They must know a good majority of those people won't attend, many probably even withdraw early.

I'm not sure this is true. Once they've established their "goal" median, all that should matter is whether its above or below. 167 LSAT is just as good as a 172 median if you're looking at a 166 median.

I mean if we're assuming they are just gaming numbers here.

I'd plug the sweet spots for strong admission at 166 or a 3.9 gpa...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 am

I wonder if IU has it down to a science what % of 105/120kers will end up at IU ? And how does this new drop in apps/takers effect that ? I would love to go behind the scenes of an admissions department.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 am

danquayle wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I'm not sure this is true. Once they've established their "goal" median, all that should matter is whether its above or below. 167 LSAT is just as good as a 172 median if you're looking at a 166 median.

I think you misunderstand. The index would place a value on LSAT and GPA, based on what they are looking for, and being above the minimum threshold would make you passable. They are not going to simply stop making offers because of offers out there, as people withdraw, and many/most won't matriculate, so for their goal, they will likely still put more offers out, to people who fit their index and will raise their numbers.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 am

I would say there isn't an index for 120k as it seems anyone with 167+ gets it. I think if they were doing Index a 165/4.0 would have a better index than my 167/sub3 ...

stephan75th

Postby stephan75th » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 am

Not everybody with a high LSAT score gets 120k. I have a 177 and I was offered 105k. I can't decide if I should take the scholarship or attend Georgetown...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:55 am

stephan75th wrote:Not everybody with a high LSAT score gets 120k. I have a 177 and I was offered 105k. I can't decide if I should take the scholarship or attend Georgetown...

That makes no sense. It couldn't have been because of my killer app.. could it :shock:

and dude, negotiate. There is no reason why a 177 with a legit interest in attending IU shouldn't be able to easily be bumped up to 120k. If you do indeed have "strong softs" you should have gotten the 120k. I'm sure your softs were better than mine.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:27 am

JenDarby wrote:
danquayle wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I think you misunderstand. The index would place a value on LSAT and GPA, based on what they are looking for, and being above the minimum threshold would make you passable. They are not going to simply stop making offers because of offers out there, as people withdraw, and many/most won't matriculate, so for their goal, they will likely still put more offers out, to people who fit their index and will raise their numbers.

No, I certainly don't misunderstand. I think maybe you do. I honestly don't think they're using an index. An index would likely say, for example, a 163/3.8 would be a stronger admission than a 166/3.0. That certainly isn't the case. Not for IU. Not for this year.

The index approach simply doesn't improve numbers, for the reasons I've stated above. LSATs are far scarcer. Do they want high GPAs? Certainly, but they can hold out longer for them than the high LSATs. In fact, if you look at the primary difference amongst law school class compositions, it's the LSAT not the GPA.

So yes, I think they will hold off on making offers to people with high GPAs and so-so LSATs, because if they're assuming their median is a 165, they really don't care if they're losing out by holding off on people with say a 162-160, because they're not really much more valuable. In fact, a 160/3.5 is probably a lot less valuable to them than a 152/3.9, because the former will drag down own of their presumed medians while the latter will not. If that sounds idiotic I agree, but its totally sensible if you look at how the game they're playing functions.

I think your analysis is flawed because you're not really considering what really matters to them. And that's how the overall class profile will look at the medians, not how the overall applicant looks at the medians. Therefore I really, really do not think an index is used, or would even be effective in reaching their objectives. And I think the preliminary empirical evidence backs me up in that assertion.
Last edited by danquayle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:29 am

Sandro wrote:I would say there isn't an index for 120k as it seems anyone with 167+ gets it. I think if they were doing Index a 165/4.0 would have a better index than my 167/sub3 ...

stephan75th wrote:Not everybody with a high LSAT score gets 120k. I have a 177 and I was offered 105k. I can't decide if I should take the scholarship or attend Georgetown...

Like I said, I honestly don't think there is an index. I think there are threshold numbers. A 177 isn't much more valuable to them than a 169, because both are going to be in their top quartile. Maybe you could argue for a "range" based approach, but that's about it. We all know IU isn't going to even approach a 167 median, so is a 167 any different to how their class numbers will look than a 177?

No.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 am

/facepalm.

rli66

Postby rli66 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Emailed about a travel stipend yesterday to Ms. Compton. No response as of yet.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:38 pm

rli66 wrote:Emailed about a travel stipend yesterday to Ms. Compton. No response as of yet.

...They're kind of buried in ice right now...

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

JenDarby wrote:/facepalm.

Not sure you get the difference between median and mean. danquayle's argument makes sense.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

danquayle wrote:
Sandro wrote:I would say there isn't an index for 120k as it seems anyone with 167+ gets it. I think if they were doing Index a 165/4.0 would have a better index than my 167/sub3 ...

Like I said, I honestly don't think there is an index. I think there are threshold numbers. A 177 isn't much more valuable to them than a 169, because both are going to be in their top quartile. Maybe you could argue for a "range" based approach, but that's about it. We all know IU isn't going to even approach a 167 median, so is a 167 any different to how their class numbers will look than a 177?

No.

If they can get the 75th up to 167 a 177 would be better but as far as the median goes, you're right. USNews cares about the 75th so IU does too. Same goes with someone with a good GPA that would drag the 25th LSAT down. Just because a score is over or under the median doesn't mean that other considerations are not made.

pinkzebra

Postby pinkzebra » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Lwoods wrote:
rli66 wrote:Emailed about a travel stipend yesterday to Ms. Compton. No response as of yet.

Oh yes, I'm in Indianapolis and it just took me 95 minutes to get enough ice off my car to be able to drive it... Gotta love that winter weather!

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

It's MR Kelly Compton, btw.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:59 pm

pinkzebra wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Oh yes, I'm in Indianapolis and it just took me 95 minutes to get enough ice off my car to be able to drive it... Gotta love that winter weather!

Protip: Break the ice (by scraping sideways). Do not scrape up and down unless you want to spend forever doing it.

pinkzebra

Postby pinkzebra » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:08 pm

LeDique wrote:
pinkzebra wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Protip: Break the ice (by scraping sideways). Do not scrape up and down unless you want to spend forever doing it.

I actually used a can of de-icer and just hit the really thick ice until it broke haha... My scraper was essentially useless, especially since it took me 10 minutes to even get my door open and get to it

But I did use it sideways once I was able to :)

On another note, someone asked this awhile ago and I was the only one who replied, so I'm going to be annoying and ask again... Is anyone going to the Dean's Scholar reception day thing on February 18th?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Verity wrote:
JenDarby wrote:/facepalm.

Not sure you get the difference between median and mean. danquayle's argument makes sense.

Never ONCE did I say a higher lsat is any more important than an lsat that breaks their threshold to raise the MEDIAN. I even used the word THRESHOLD in my explanation.

An index does not have to be high gpa or high lsat compensating for a lower one of the other. GPA could be given little to NO weight in the index, while LSAT is given most or ALL weight. That being said, being above a certain number on said index due to a SUFFICIENTLY high lsat would allow you to pass the THRESHOLD of being desirable for acceptance to raise their MEDIAN lsat, in which case they could accept/give scholarships freely to all who surpassed said THRESHOLD.

make sense?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”