IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kcfella

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby kcfella » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Long-time lurker, first-time poster

I just got in at IU with the $120k over 3 years. My wife and I are extremely excited and almost certain that I am going to accept. BTW, I am an old guy (33) with two and a half kids (will be three kids before school starts). Are there any other non traditional students considering coming? I am hoping we can sit together in the front of class with rolling backpacks and lots of hypotheticals to discuss. :wink:

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:58 pm

kcfella wrote:Long-time lurker, first-time poster

I just got in at IU with the $120k over 3 years. My wife and I are extremely excited and almost certain that I am going to accept. BTW, I am an old guy (33) with two and a half kids (will be three kids before school starts). Are there any other non traditional students considering coming? I am hoping we can sit together in the front of class with rolling backpacks and lots of hypotheticals to discuss. :wink:

Congrats on the scholarship. I'm a non-traditional as well (29). Welcome to the board.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Well, I decided to apply today. Hoping for a quick turn around...good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats to those accepted!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 pm

I feel so dumb. I got my Stetson acceptance package Saturday and completely missed the IU USPS package. I just now saw it - 120k.

Wow. 8)

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Sandro wrote:I feel so dumb. I got my Stetson acceptance package Saturday and completely missed the IU USPS package. I just now saw it - 120k.

Wow. 8)

congrats!! I'm hoping I get 120k as well. They seem to have a pretty simple index, and give it to everyone that falls within that index.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Sandro wrote:I feel so dumb. I got my Stetson acceptance package Saturday and completely missed the IU USPS package. I just now saw it - 120k.

Wow. 8)

Congrats!! Nice to see those schollys havent totally dried up yet

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:57 pm

JenDarby wrote:

Wow. 8)

congrats!! I'm hoping I get 120k as well. They seem to have a pretty simple index, and give it to everyone that falls within that index.

Thanks !! I was surprised. This makes my choice between UGA in state sticker and IU with 120 very, very tough. I have no idea right now.

Whats your #1 right now ?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Looking at last year it seems like people who were within that range and applied late still had a good shot at getting them.

pcvmeli

Postby pcvmeli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 am

JenDarby wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Looking at last year it seems like people who were within that range and applied late still had a good shot at getting them.

Hope that's the case! I applied January 17th and I hope that I am not out of the running. I was concerned about applying with a low LSAT and didn't want to waste my money, but had a great Dec score and decided to go for it. I know I shouldn't be waiting to hear back yet, but I keep hoping I will have a quicker turn around since its nearing the end of the cycle.

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Made the final decision this weekend... IU it is! :D I was wondering if any of you are considering the Summer Start Program and if so why?

Also, and 1Ls who completed the program what did you think of it? I am on a full tuition scholly so my tuition is covered, but how much will have to come up with for books/fees etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 pm

kehoema2 wrote:
giddybiscuit wrote:
SrLaw wrote:How is everyone feeling about these 120K offers? Anyone putting IU-B at the top with these big boy scholarships?

I want to practice in Cali, so IU is not the best fit for me, but I LOVE the looks of their program. If I don't get in anywhere better than my current list, I might consider it to save some major money and avoid the loan train.

I don't want to deter you from choosing IU, but just keep in mind they do not have much of a reputation in California. Obviously IU could save you a ton of debt, but if you don't have really strong contacts, it could make it tough to go back.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:Made the final decision this weekend... IU it is! :D I was wondering if any of you are considering the Summer Start Program and if so why?

Also, and 1Ls who completed the program what did you think of it? I am on a full tuition scholly so my tuition is covered, but how much will have to come up with for books/fees etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I looked into the summer program and wouldn't recommend it.

For starters, you're forfeiting any money that you could earn by working a summer job. So take that into consideration.

Additionally, you won't be able to choose the crim pro class that you'll be taking in the fall (in place of torts) and it will be loaded with 2Ls and 3Ls just waiting to dominate the curve.

On the other hand, it's a way to get a feel for law school with a lighter workload and without assaulting your GPA.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Lwoods wrote:SlimCharles - one TLSer asked and I forget the wording, but essentially it's not flunking out (the required GPA for graduation is a 2.3).

Just FYI (and I realize this isn't news to anyone but my own paranoid self) I confirmed this with the admissions department this morning. The stipulation for the scholly is just to maintain a passing grade.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

giddybiscuit wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:
giddybiscuit wrote:
SrLaw wrote:How is everyone feeling about these 120K offers? Anyone putting IU-B at the top with these big boy scholarships?

I want to practice in Cali, so IU is not the best fit for me, but I LOVE the looks of their program. If I don't get in anywhere better than my current list, I might consider it to save some major money and avoid the loan train.

I don't want to deter you from choosing IU, but just keep in mind they do not have much of a reputation in California. Obviously IU could save you a ton of debt, but if you don't have really strong contacts, it could make it tough to go back.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

Well, people do place there. My graduating class had it rough, and I knew people who got in a pretty big firms there. The legal market is very poor right now all around, and if you're realistically going to get a job anywhere, it's going to be through networking. There are plenty of Indiana lawyers in California, but no not nearly as many as the schools that are actually there. Obviously USC/UCLA and above are no brainers, but there aren't an abundance of law schools in IU's range. Hastings is traditionally good, but they seem to be slumping lately. Irvine is kind of an unknown at the point, but could be a great option for you. But again its a brand new law school, so if you're looking for alumni, Indiana is going to have plenty more than Irvine at this time.

The point I'm trying to make to you is that I don't think any of the look schools you'd be looking at in California are going to position all that much better than Indiana, particularly if you have money from IU. Just remember, money means flexibility. IMHO opinion, the job hunt from Indiana with little debt is favorable to the job hunt from Hastings with bucu debt. A school like San Diego is a no go to me... way too expensive... way too much cost of living.

California in general is an extreme meat market right now. If you want to end up there in a good job in California, you might want to look at gathering experience at a smaller firm in a non-major market.

But if you simply want to be in California period, then by all means go to Hastings/Irvine. They're good schools, and yes you'll certainly have much better chances placing into California BigLaw there than at IU. I just don't think the odds are spectacular either way. I do suppose there is the added benefit of being able to put in part-time work and network on the ground, but damn... Cali is scary. And for that reason I wouldn't look any lower without substantial scholarship money. Not even Pepperdine, which is a personal fave of mine. COL would EAT you alive.

I dunno, maybe Kings has a rebuttal to me...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 am

I'm 166 3.475, but with a fairly upward trending GPA. I'm also from Indiana. Does anyone have any idea what my chances are with these numbers? I'm taking the LSAT again in Feb (hopefully 169-173) and I haven't quite finished my app but I was just wondering. Also, I'm diabetic so I am technically under the Americans with Disabilities Act umbrella and I was wondering if that affects admissions/scholarship decisions, and if so, how to let them know this. IU-Indy has a box for ADA to check but no other app has this. Anyway, I know I have a lot of random questions but I was hoping to see if anyone got in with similar numbers that is not a URM and doesn't have any crazy strong softs

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 am

jdfrisby wrote:I'm 166 3.475, but with a fairly upward trending GPA. I'm also from Indiana. Does anyone have any idea what my chances are with these numbers? I'm taking the LSAT again in Feb (hopefully 169-173) and I haven't quite finished my app but I was just wondering. Also, I'm diabetic so I am technically under the Americans with Disabilities Act umbrella and I was wondering if that affects admissions/scholarship decisions, and if so, how to let them know this. IU-Indy has a box for ADA to check but no other app has this. Anyway, I know I have a lot of random questions but I was hoping to see if anyone got in with similar numbers that is not a URM and doesn't have any crazy strong softs

You're almost certainly in. Probably in with $120k. A couple people with 166 lsat and substantially lower gpa got $120k.

Regarding your "disability" - no, i sincerely doubt you get additional scholarship money for not being able to process sugars properly.

You should apply soon if you haven't already.

Edit: Allow me to introduce you to Lawschoolnumbers.com, if you haven't already stumbled across it. You can evaluate how the cycles are going. Caveat - information is user-submitted, so accuracy isn't guaranteed, but it's pretty good. You can see how people with your numbers are fairing with acceptances and scholarship money.

http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=1011

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:14 am

I wish I'd applied to IU sooner, knowing now that you only need a passing grade to keep your scholarship. I'm a pretty good candidate for a full scholarship. LSN suggests it might not be too late, which I hope is the case, because I will nearly definitely go there with a full scholarship, and those lax stipulations.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 am

JenDarby wrote:I wish I'd applied to IU sooner, knowing now that you only need a passing grade to keep your scholarship. I'm a pretty good candidate for a full scholarship. LSN suggests it might not be too late, which I hope is the case, because I will nearly definitely go there with a full scholarship, and those lax stipulations.

It really is a smart financial decision to go to IU-B with a full ride or a 105k, with the lax stipulations and the good reputation in the midwest . I will more then likely be attending if I get in with a large scholarship.

I am just hoping my 166 and 2.96 will put me in line for the 120k scholarship.

When did you end up applying?

I just got an email today from IU-B saying I went complete.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:22 am

I applied yesterday. :shock:

I really hope it's not too late. I almost surely will attend with a full ride.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 am

JenDarby wrote:I applied yesterday. :shock:

It seems like they're accepting only certain types of applicants for now and waiting on the rest. Looking at their graph on LSN is very telling. As long as you have a 165+ it seems like you are getting your answer sooner then later.

I am hoping to get mine within the next couple weeks as I am now complete.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 am

beidoun wrote:

It seems like they're accepting only certain types of applicants for now and waiting on the rest. Looking at their graph on LSN is very telling. As long as you have a 165+ it seems like you are getting your answer sooner then later.

I hope so, I'm 168. I hope them seeing my retake in Feb doesn't hold up a decision.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:46 am

JenDarby wrote:
beidoun wrote:

I hope so, I'm 168. I hope them seeing my retake in Feb doesn't hold up a decision.

I would probably called them and ask because my assumption would be that it would. You are probably an auto 120k scholarship, maybe you can tell them to review your application without your February score.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:52 am

beidoun wrote:I would probably called them and ask because my assumption would be that it would. You are probably an auto 120k scholarship, maybe you can tell them to review your application without your February score.

I was thinking that too, (I hope that's the case!) I will email them once they acknowledge receiving my application.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:25 am

did any of you guys send a why x essay? I dont think it asks for it, just curious.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:28 am

dreakol wrote:did any of you guys send a why x essay? I dont think it asks for it, just curious.

I included a why x paragraph, in my PS. All the schools I did this for, I got accepted quickly, with a good scholarship, though I think it's just a coincidence.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”