IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lwoods » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:22 am

...IU has a medical school... While the last two (clinical) years are in Indianapolis, the first two (classroom) years are in various cities in Indiana. One of the choices is Bloomington.


Anyway, Merry Christmas and congrats to all who were accepted!

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby buchy2009 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:37 am

Lwoods wrote:...IU has a medical school... While the last two (clinical) years are in Indianapolis, the first two (classroom) years are in various cities in Indiana. One of the choices is Bloomington.


Anyway, Merry Christmas and congrats to all who were accepted!



Oh, wow. I stand corrected. I guess I just haven't met any med students.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby ran12 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:15 am

I know people who went to undergrad at IU and they told me that it's just a bunch of cornfields and pretty boring.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:01 pm

i do mind spending 20-30 on a meal when i can have a perfectly good meal for 5 dollars. it's nice to do something nice every once in a while, but i am a terrible cook and do not want to put myself heavily in debt.

this is probably going to make me disliked, but i have always been able to "get by" without doing much work. i had a 3.5x while working f/t throughout college to pay my way through, and studied max 2 hours for any one test. i got in the 170s on the LSAT by studying over a lot of time, and thinking about it a lot but really only practicing maybe 20 hours total. the point of this is i might have more free time than other people in law school, not because i am smarter, but because i am relatively lazy compared to many students. i would personally have no prob dating a UG girl as long as she is mature and not out of touch with reality as many girls 18-22 are, not self absorbed and would not put me in situations such as drinking with her under-21 friends or smoking pot around me that might get me into trouble with my scholarship to C&F.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I could take or leave the bar scene, but I'm put off by the fact that the entire state has a vertical gradient of 1000 feet, and the local ski resort has a total vertical drop of 300 feet. As someone who spends most of her saturday mornings from November to April on Mt. Hood, that's pretty depressing.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:33 pm

what does that mean? it's on top of a hill?

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12770
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:50 pm

justadude55 wrote:what does that mean? it's on top of a hill?



No, that Indiana as a state is very flat.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:31 pm

justadude55 wrote:what does that mean? it's on top of a hill?


Having 1000 feet of variation in elevation over an entire state means it's extremely flat. Oregon, not really known as particularly mountainous, will vary 1000 feet in a few miles. A typical chairlift on Mt. Hood will travel 1500 vertical feet.

Indiana's the kind of place you can watch your dog run away from you for five days.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:59 pm

in with 120K a year! what a fabulous christmas present. i wasnt really interested before but now im definitely at least visiting. i cant believe how many giant scholarships theyre giving out though. congrats to those admitted and good luck to everyone waiting!!!

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Lots of scholarships out there. Is Indiana one of the schools with a ton of scholarships but a ridiculously high GPA requirement for keeping them?

SortOfObsessed
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby SortOfObsessed » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Bumi wrote:Lots of scholarships out there. Is Indiana one of the schools with a ton of scholarships but a ridiculously high GPA requirement for keeping them?


I don't think so.

Pretty sure Indiana got $35 million in 2008 to give out as scholarships, hence why last year 22% of the students have full tuition to more than full tuition scholarships/grants.

The GPA requirement is a 2.3 GPA.

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby mez06 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:51 pm

justadude55 wrote:i do mind spending 20-30 on a meal when i can have a perfectly good meal for 5 dollars. it's nice to do something nice every once in a while, but i am a terrible cook and do not want to put myself heavily in debt.

this is probably going to make me disliked, but i have always been able to "get by" without doing much work. i had a 3.5x while working f/t throughout college to pay my way through, and studied max 2 hours for any one test. i got in the 170s on the LSAT by studying over a lot of time, and thinking about it a lot but really only practicing maybe 20 hours total. the point of this is i might have more free time than other people in law school, not because i am smarter, but because i am relatively lazy compared to many students. i would personally have no prob dating a UG girl as long as she is mature and not out of touch with reality as many girls 18-22 are, not self absorbed and would not put me in situations such as drinking with her under-21 friends or smoking pot around me that might get me into trouble with my scholarship to C&F.

:lol: :roll: :lol:

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lwoods » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Just got home from visiting the inlaws...

In with $120k! :D

redrose11
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby redrose11 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm in state and got full tuition plus 3000 stipend/yr. I find it weird that everyone else was given figures but mine didn't give a dollar amount besides the stipend. Is it because I'm in state do you think?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lwoods » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:51 pm

redrose11 wrote:I'm in state and got full tuition plus 3000 stipend/yr. I find it weird that everyone else was given figures but mine didn't give a dollar amount besides the stipend. Is it because I'm in state do you think?


Yeah, probably because you're in-state and it's full tuition. I think there was only one poster above who received full OOS tuition.

Congratulations! That's awesome.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Lwoods wrote:
redrose11 wrote:I'm in state and got full tuition plus 3000 stipend/yr. I find it weird that everyone else was given figures but mine didn't give a dollar amount besides the stipend. Is it because I'm in state do you think?


Yeah, probably because you're in-state and it's full tuition. I think there was only one poster above who received full OOS tuition.

Congratulations! That's awesome.


Really? For those of you posting actual dollar amount (such as $120K), it actually said that number in the letter? Mine just said full out of state tuition. I thought everyone was just doing the math and rounding off, no?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lwoods » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:05 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
redrose11 wrote:I'm in state and got full tuition plus 3000 stipend/yr. I find it weird that everyone else was given figures but mine didn't give a dollar amount besides the stipend. Is it because I'm in state do you think?


Yeah, probably because you're in-state and it's full tuition. I think there was only one poster above who received full OOS tuition.

Congratulations! That's awesome.


Really? For those of you posting actual dollar amount (such as $120K), it actually said that number in the letter? Mine just said full out of state tuition. I thought everyone was just doing the math and rounding off, no?


Nope, actually states "$120,000...to be divided equally over three years..."

Congrats on the full ride. :)

User avatar
Lou9
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lou9 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Lwoods wrote:Just got home from visiting the inlaws...

In with $120k! :D


Congrats!

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:40 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:The GPA requirement is a 2.3 GPA.


You sure? I could have sworn the "taking questions" thread said it was 3.2.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Bumi wrote:
SortOfObsessed wrote:The GPA requirement is a 2.3 GPA.


You sure? I could have sworn the "taking questions" thread said it was 3.2.

The letter just said you needed to achieve satisfactory completion of the 1L curriculum.

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Lwoods wrote:
redrose11 wrote:I'm in state and got full tuition plus 3000 stipend/yr. I find it weird that everyone else was given figures but mine didn't give a dollar amount besides the stipend. Is it because I'm in state do you think?


Yeah, probably because you're in-state and it's full tuition. I think there was only one poster above who received full OOS tuition.

Congratulations! That's awesome.



I got full oos tuition, too. No stipend though :wink: To the other person posting about the full oos tuition scholarship: I have very similar numbers and got a few other full rides. Did you apply to Iowa, Illinois or wustl? They seem to be really generous .

Congrats to all the others who were recently admitted and good luck to everyone else!

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:40 am

stlisforlovers wrote:
Bumi wrote:
SortOfObsessed wrote:The GPA requirement is a 2.3 GPA.


You sure? I could have sworn the "taking questions" thread said it was 3.2.

The letter just said you needed to achieve satisfactory completion of the 1L curriculum.

"Satisfactory completion?" I would want that defined.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby danquayle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Lwoods wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
redrose11 wrote:I'm in state and got full tuition plus 3000 stipend/yr. I find it weird that everyone else was given figures but mine didn't give a dollar amount besides the stipend. Is it because I'm in state do you think?


Yeah, probably because you're in-state and it's full tuition. I think there was only one poster above who received full OOS tuition.

Congratulations! That's awesome.


Really? For those of you posting actual dollar amount (such as $120K), it actually said that number in the letter? Mine just said full out of state tuition. I thought everyone was just doing the math and rounding off, no?


Nope, actually states "$120,000...to be divided equally over three years..."

Congrats on the full ride. :)


Don't undervalue the difference here. The full ride obliges them to credit you the full tuition every year, regardless of tuition changes. Stating an actual value numbers allows them to charge you more by raising tuition and thereby diluting the scholarship value. This is what happened to me. 10k on 24k sounded pretty good, 10k on 38k not so much.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TheOcho » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Also in with 120k/year. Who says Mondays have to suck?

pinkzebra
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby pinkzebra » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm another in-stater who is in with full tuition + $3000/year stipend... Woohoo IU!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”