IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Prairie

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Prairie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:09 pm

waitlisted. :(

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:10 pm

I swear I just posted this, but don't see it now. (Apologies if my computer's being retarded and I post twice.)

In with $120,000. 3.56/171. Will likely just use it for scholly leverage at Lewis & Clark, although now my dad is lecturing me to seriously consider it. Might go to the admitted students thing in the spring to make him happy...or not.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Barbie wrote:justdude55... srsly, every time I try to like you as a poster-- you make comments like you have in this thread and its back to square 1 of disbelief you are anything but a troll.

so do u believe i'm a troll or not? your wording is very confusing me.

i can say everything i wrote on here is true, and i apologize if it bothered you. i am just being honest about what i like. i never claimed to be a good person, although i do care about my fellow citizens.

i am flattered that you spent all this time trying to like me. i can ensure you i have spent none, though i found you good natured and nice anyway.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Prairie wrote:waitlisted. :(

u can still get in. that gpa is rockingggggg. weird a 3.0 and 167 gets 120k and you get rejected

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Hmm, I would have thought you would be in. This does not bode well for me at all then as you are a much better candidate. Reverse splitters tend to have really unpredictable cycles.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:23 pm

jaydizzle wrote:

Hmm, I would have thought you would be in. This does not bode well for me at all then as you are a much better candidate. Reverse splitters tend to have really unpredictable cycles.

I am surprised they are sending out waitlists right now.....

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:

I am surprised they are sending out waitlists right now.....

Some are sending out rejections too as I know well. Hmm 1 point and he would have been in from what I can see. That totally stinks. 1 point means acceptance and tons of money so stupid...

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Congrats to all those that are in! I will be sending in my app within the next week so hopefully I am not too late (and $$$ would be nice as well)......

on a side note, does anyone know if the admissions office is closed until after new year's? Thanks

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:54 pm

In with full ride. 3.90/169.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:47 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:In with full ride. 3.90/169.

is 120k full ride or did u get more??????? great #'s man. i have u on LSAT but GPA u kick butt. i think u can get a full ride some place higher.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:02 pm

justadude55 wrote:

is 120k full ride or did u get more??????? great #'s man. i have u on LSAT but GPA u kick butt. i think u can get a full ride some place higher.

Sorry, you weren't good enough for a full ride. Some people got 128k if you look at LSN. :lol: Why is is that you keep asking if people got more money? 120k is about the max amount. You did fine.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:02 am

jaydizzle wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

Sorry, you weren't good enough for a full ride. Some people got 128k if you look at LSN. :lol: Why is is that you keep asking if people got more money? 120k is about the max amount. You did fine.

$120K isn't quite a full ride. Out-of-state tuition is $42,800, plus just under $3K more in fees/books. (And then there's living expenses.)

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:09 am

It's 3 years, out-of-state tuition. That's 120K and change, right?

EDIT: Should have made it clear. Full ride = full tuition.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:16 am

muff cabbage i want a full ride. maybe i can negotiate the extra 8k and housing?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 am

justadude55 wrote:muff cabbage i want a full ride. maybe i can negotiate the extra 8k and housing?

Most definitely. I would suggest emailing them tomorrow asking for the extra 8k and an on campus housing spot.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:08 am

Lwoods wrote:I have to disagree about Indiana being particularly desolate (more than Pennsylvania? Iowa? Kansas? Nebraska? Doubt it). Bloomington is definitely a small town, but there's a lot going on because of the university. You'll have many retail chains for shopping, and there are numerous cultural events in Bloomington. Remember IU has top music and dance programs, so there are exquisite operas and ballets.

It's also not far from Indianapolis and only a few hours from Chicago.

I have to disagree. I have lived in Bloomington for almost 2 years now and there is very little going on here. Unless I'm shopping for bare essentials, I have to wait for my visits to Nashville, TN or Detroit, MI to go shopping. There are few retail shops and products are over-priced.

True, there are great operas and ballets, but if you're into any other kind of music, you're out-of-luck. You'll be paying high covers for average local bands. As for bars, there are tons of really fratty undergrad bars, but the few others get old after awhile. Bloomington has just a handful of decent restaurants (which are also overpriced). Dating for graduate and professional students is sparse at best but I guess if you're into dating people a lot younger than you, you're in luck.

Housing is also a problem. Expect to pay big bucks for housing if you don't want to rent from an undergraduate slum lord.

I truly think Bloomington would be a great place to go for undergraduate study, but there is just little there for young professionals and graduate students. If I stay in Bloomington and go to IU next year, it will be for the law school, DEFINITELY not the city.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:29 am

buchy2009 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I have to disagree about Indiana being particularly desolate (more than Pennsylvania? Iowa? Kansas? Nebraska? Doubt it). Bloomington is definitely a small town, but there's a lot going on because of the university. You'll have many retail chains for shopping, and there are numerous cultural events in Bloomington. Remember IU has top music and dance programs, so there are exquisite operas and ballets.

I have to disagree. I have lived in Bloomington for almost 2 years now and there is very little going on here. Unless I'm shopping for bare essentials, I have to wait for my visits to Nashville, TN or Detroit, MI to go shopping. There are few retail shops and products are over-priced.

True, there are great operas and ballets, but if you're into any other kind of music, you're out-of-luck. You'll be paying high covers for average local bands. As for bars, there are tons of really fratty undergrad bars, but the few others get old after awhile. Bloomington has just a handful of decent restaurants (which are also overpriced). Dating for graduate and professional students is sparse at best but I guess if you're into dating people a lot younger than you, you're in luck.

Housing is also a problem. Expect to pay big bucks for housing if you don't want to rent from an undergraduate slum lord.

I truly think Bloomington would be a great place to go for undergraduate study, but there is just little there for young professionals and graduate students. If I stay in Bloomington and go to IU next year, it will be for the law school, DEFINITELY not the city.

def have to check it out. didn't realize it's expensive to live in IU. do they ever throw dorms into scholly? does tuition include dorming?

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:29 am

Sandro777 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:muff cabbage i want a full ride. maybe i can negotiate the extra 8k and housing?

Most definitely. I would suggest emailing them tomorrow asking for the extra 8k and an on campus housing spot.

I don't think there is much harm asking for the extra 8-9K. Especially if you get a great deal at another school, too. Let them know that you understand it's kind of silly, given that the money amount is so small, but that having a full tuition scholarship would really make the decision easier on you. Worst they say is no. I don't think anyone has ever had a scholarship offer revoked for asking politely (even if they probably shouldn't ask at all).

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:32 am

So, if you go to this school you're pretty much stuck working in a random town in Indiana?

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:35 am

buchy2009 wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know the city, but this runs contrary to everything I've ever heard about Bloomington. It's probably one the best all around graduate Universities in the country, so why wouldn't it have a scene tailored to our needs? This isn't some one off program--many of it's humanities are elite top 5 type graduate programs. It's law school is well regarded, and it has a successful medical school, too. All of this adds to pretty compelling argument that a professional scene must exist, you just haven't found it yet.

As for being pricey, that's a matter of relation, but I've found it's most often graduate students that create that type of environment, with custom built bike shops and locally grown, all organic, vegan restaurants.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:38 am

organic crap stinks. i just want low cost of living with a good gym, taco bell and jobs.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:41 am

kk19131 wrote:So, if you go to this school you're pretty much stuck working in a random town in Indiana?

Nobody said this. Indications are that you will do very well in Indianapolis, with the top of the class landing jobs in Chicago. The absolute top of the class may have a shot at New York or DC, I haven't seen anything to indicate one way or the other (although this seems to usually be, in itself, an indication against). I've heard it places very strongly in Louisville, which is a bit surprising because, although they are geographically close, the South seems to be treated like a steel curtain. I've also heard places like Detroit (what's left of it), Milwaukee, and even Minneapolis are not completely out of the question.

The big problem with Indiana seems to be that it doesn't place a huge percentage of graduates anywhere, but a small percentage all over the place. And then you've got your random town in Indiana, I guess.

robb0106

Postby robb0106 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:48 am

justadude55 wrote:organic crap stinks. i just want low cost of living with a good gym, taco bell and jobs.

what would you do if taco bell went organic?

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:12 am

robb0106 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:organic crap stinks. i just want low cost of living with a good gym, taco bell and jobs.

what would you do if taco bell went organic?

I think that's a sign of the apocalypse :shock:

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:29 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know the city, but this runs contrary to everything I've ever heard about Bloomington. It's probably one the best all around graduate Universities in the country, so why wouldn't it have a scene tailored to our needs? This isn't some one off program--many of it's humanities are elite top 5 type graduate programs. It's law school is well regarded, and it has a successful medical school, too. All of this adds to pretty compelling argument that a professional scene must exist, you just haven't found it yet.

As for being pricey, that's a matter of relation, but I've found it's most often graduate students that create that type of environment, with custom built bike shops and locally grown, all organic, vegan restaurants.

You are correct, there are 8 top 25 graduate programs at IU (although it has no medical school). The problem is that most graduate students hole themselves up in carrels and don't go out much. In contrast, the undergraduates programs are in general very easy (IU is 56 in the midwest for undergraduate programs last I heard) so they can go out a lot more, and there are a lot more of them. I think this makes it so the city is much more UG-oriented.

In regards to price, I don't mind spending $20-$30 on a meal, but the restaurants in B-town in this price range just don't stack up. In others cities, restaurants would be charging 1/2 what they do for the quality of service and food they provide.

I guess my point is that Bloomington isn't awful to live in for a couple of years, but the city really isn't anything to right home about. Most people in my department and related departments agree that the city is vastly overrated.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”