IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:26 am

iowalum wrote:I'm hoping they don't defer so many people that it makes it difficult to get accepted next cycle - I'd imagine they'll have to raise their standards even more (for those of us who will be applying again...) :/


Nah, I'd be shocked if more than 10 people deferred. That's still what? 170 - 190 seats left. Apply early, and I bet you'll be fine.

step1plus2
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby step1plus2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 am

TommyK, did you get an email assigning you a UID? I ask because I also accepted the deferral offer, yet still got that email last night, and I just want to make sure everything is in order.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:35 am

step1plus2 wrote:TommyK, did you get an email assigning you a UID? I ask because I also accepted the deferral offer, yet still got that email last night, and I just want to make sure everything is in order.


Nope, no email, no UID. They said they would contact me in December to get things set up.

User avatar
AboveTheLawSchool
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 am

I already got my UID and everything. Guess I'll try giving them a call today or tomorrow....

step1plus2
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby step1plus2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am

TommyK wrote:
step1plus2 wrote:TommyK, did you get an email assigning you a UID? I ask because I also accepted the deferral offer, yet still got that email last night, and I just want to make sure everything is in order.


Nope, no email, no UID. They said they would contact me in December to get things set up.


Glad I asked, they hadn't received my email and I had to send it again. Now I'm officially posting in the wrong thread. See everyone next year!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:30 am

step1plus2 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
step1plus2 wrote:TommyK, did you get an email assigning you a UID? I ask because I also accepted the deferral offer, yet still got that email last night, and I just want to make sure everything is in order.


Nope, no email, no UID. They said they would contact me in December to get things set up.


Glad I asked, they hadn't received my email and I had to send it again. Now I'm officially posting in the wrong thread. See everyone next year!


Should we create a IU Bloomington Class of 2015 thread? :lol:

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Hey Tommy, with your deferral, are you still allowed to apply to other schools next cycle or is it some sort of binding deal?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:51 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Hey Tommy, with your deferral, are you still allowed to apply to other schools next cycle or is it some sort of binding deal?


I think it's as binding as a seat deposit - which is to say, not binding at all. That being said, I'm so thrilled to attend IUB for free and not re-write my personal statement and wait through the application game, that I will no way apply to another school unless Yale directly solicits my application.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 pm

You may want to ask Indiana about the terms of your deferral as it may prohibit you from applying elsewhere next year.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You may want to ask Indiana about the terms of your deferral as it may prohibit you from applying elsewhere next year.


If it is, it didn't say so in the email. But the issue is rather moot for me anyways - I'm not interested in going through the application process and I'm happy with where I'll be. Okay, I'm going to try my best to extract myself from TLS and actually be a productive member of society so I can stay employed for the next 16 months. Good luck to all!

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey all, I wanted to be able to shed some light on the deferral process for prospective students. My understanding is that students who have been offered deferral are being guaranteed a spot for c/o 2015, guaranteed their scholarship (if offered any at all and in some cases and increased scholarship amount to defer), and are not bound to IU.

More specifically about your obligation; students who choose to defer a year are not prohibited or discouraged from applying to other schools next cycle or eventually attending another institution. Essentially deferring a year provides you a safety net because you know you have an acceptance to a T-25 school with your scholarship money locked in. You're then free to play the application game again if you so chose.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby red_alertz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:50 pm

hey guys, I am a splitter who was borderline to begin with, now that I've been waitlisted for a while now and seeing ppl with better stats are being deferred, does that mean I am screwed?

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:42 pm

red_alertz wrote:hey guys, I am a splitter who was borderline to begin with, now that I've been waitlisted for a while now and seeing ppl with better stats are being deferred, does that mean I am screwed?

Screwed sideways to be exact (unless you have some high GPA, they prob. won't come a knockin). But really, best of luck as the WL is hard to predict movement for.

kcfella
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:09 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby kcfella » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:05 pm

TommyK wrote:I'm deferring, gang.

For all of those I met during SLD, it was great meeting you and I hope to see you in 2012, a few months before the ancient Mayans rise up and kill us all. Take good notes for me ;)

Cheers,
TK


What about our super-cool but somewhat quirky clique of people with slight Asberger's syndrome?

Seriously, I was looking forward to hanging out more but I wish you the best of luck. I will even share my lackluster outlines with you to virtually guarantee a sub-par performance.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 pm

So I called IU about two weeks ago and someone told me that I was going into the committee and I should be hearing a decision in two weeks. I got an email today that said that my application is complete and would recieve a decision in 8-10 weeks. Anyone have an idea what that's about?

oldtimer
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:So I called IU about two weeks ago and someone told me that I was going into the committee and I should be hearing a decision in two weeks. I got an email today that said that my application is complete and would recieve a decision in 8-10 weeks. Anyone have an idea what that's about?



My application was "received" on 2-14 and I received the same email about 15 minutes ago!

It took 2 months for it to go "complete" after the received all of the information from LSAC? Sounds like something isn't right here.

tlabrum3
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby tlabrum3 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:32 pm

My wife and I will be heading to Bloomington to check out apartments next month. We're looking for a 2 bedroom. Being close to the law school isn't too important to me as long as it is an easy commute (i.e. close to bus stop, etc.). I'd like to stay in a nicer apartment and am willing to pay for that (within reason). Any one have suggestions as to any specific complexes or areas that we should start our search? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:43 pm

oldtimer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:So I called IU about two weeks ago and someone told me that I was going into the committee and I should be hearing a decision in two weeks. I got an email today that said that my application is complete and would recieve a decision in 8-10 weeks. Anyone have an idea what that's about?



My application was "received" on 2-14 and I received the same email about 15 minutes ago!

It took 2 months for it to go "complete" after the received all of the information from LSAC? Sounds like something isn't right here.

Yeah the weird part is that the guy I called said that I was going to the committee. Maybe things got shuffled up as they were worrying about their overinrollment issues... I dunno, I'm pretty confused. I called Kelly Compton, so I hope she gives me a call soon with some details.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if I end up reapplying or getting an admit/defer for next year

oldtimer
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
oldtimer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:So I called IU about two weeks ago and someone told me that I was going into the committee and I should be hearing a decision in two weeks. I got an email today that said that my application is complete and would recieve a decision in 8-10 weeks. Anyone have an idea what that's about?



My application was "received" on 2-14 and I received the same email about 15 minutes ago!

It took 2 months for it to go "complete" after the received all of the information from LSAC? Sounds like something isn't right here.

Yeah the weird part is that the guy I called said that I was going to the committee. Maybe things got shuffled up as they were worrying about their overinrollment issues... I dunno, I'm pretty confused. I called Kelly Compton, so I hope she gives me a call soon with some details.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if I end up reapplying or getting an admit/defer for next year


I'm curious how this turns out for you. Keep us posted.

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby hope11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:01 pm

ok so this is freaking me OUT! I never received an e-mail directly from IU saying they received my application or what have you - LSDAS notified me of transmission though. Then I received a packet from IU with a view book and financial information (prospective not an acceptance package). I've not heard from them ever since! Do they notify through e-mail or what is going on!?!?!

oldtimer
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:11 pm

hope11 wrote:ok so this is freaking me OUT! I never received an e-mail directly from IU saying they received my application or what have you - LSDAS notified me of transmission though. Then I received a packet from IU with a view book and financial information (prospective not an acceptance package). I've not heard from them ever since! Do they notify through e-mail or what is going on!?!?!


It seems the status quo for them is to notify (albiet sparsely) via email. As I mentioned, I received an email when they RECEIVED my application and it stated that they would contact me if any further information was needed and then when my application was "complete" it would take 8-10 weeks to receive a decision. THEN, 2 months later (today) I received an email stating that my application was "complete" and it would take... again...8-10 weeks to receive a decision.

Obviously, I won't be waiting another 2 months for their decision, so I'm hoping that there is some issue with their email notification system causing this confusion.

User avatar
chrisnashville
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby chrisnashville » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:18 pm

tlabrum3 wrote:My wife and I will be heading to Bloomington to check out apartments next month. We're looking for a 2 bedroom. Being close to the law school isn't too important to me as long as it is an easy commute (i.e. close to bus stop, etc.). I'd like to stay in a nicer apartment and am willing to pay for that (within reason). Any one have suggestions as to any specific complexes or areas that we should start our search? Thanks in advance.


I would ask the folks over in this forum: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88284&start=2325

They are current students and might have a better idea than us 0Ls :-) But I think there is plenty to be had if you're OK with living a little bit further out from the school. Off the top of my head, Burnham rentals offer nice 2br/2ba that are very close, though a little pricey (think 1200?).

Edit: Whoops, just saw you posted there too :)

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Sandro » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:59 pm

If they are asking people to defer until next year, I would stop freaking out about IU not having gotten back to you yet. Think about it.

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby hope11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Sandro wrote:If they are asking people to defer until next year, I would stop freaking out about IU not having gotten back to you yet. Think about it.


huh? english por favor

oldtimer
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm

hope11 wrote:
Sandro wrote:If they are asking people to defer until next year, I would stop freaking out about IU not having gotten back to you yet. Think about it.


huh? english por favor


He's basically saying that we can assume a "reject" based on the deferments, but I'd argue that it would be unwise to assume that quite yet.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ericb1228, Google [Bot], JazzyMac, jyzhao3, lawlzi, Mia93, PDX4343, ramp_999, Snowjon, ThorB and 15 guests