IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zla2014

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Everyone ITT has been so nice, it makes me love IU-B even more! I'm about to call the school to ask about visiting because I am too anxious to wait until my packet arrives to receive more info. But, I want your insight as well on visiting and housing.

There is an apartment complex that houses a lot of law students close to the law school building, correct? Would it be impossible to rent one of these apartments or a room in one of these apartments so late in the cycle? I'll be completely new to the town and don't want to live in an unfamiliar city alone. Any advice on where I should look that's within walking distance to campus or am I SOL at this point?

Well, they did show us a few places that were law-student-focused (and didn't accept undergrads as tenants) but from what I hear, they're all full and have a waitlist. If you do visit IU they should have a packet of housing information, but not sure how helpful it will be, as you said, this late in the cycle. I'm still looking, and might settle on an apartment on the side of a house hopefully less than a mile from the law building.

Thanks for the info! I just talked to admissions and they're going to send me that housing packet. It sucks that they accepted me after ASW though, going to be even harder to find an apt. and a roommate. I'm gonna have to hustle! Have you found the links under IU's webpage for admitted students housing info useful?

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:49 pm

zla2014 wrote:Thanks for the info! I just talked to admissions and they're going to send me that housing packet. It sucks that they accepted me after ASW though, going to be even harder to find an apt. and a roommate. I'm gonna have to hustle! Have you found the links under IU's webpage for admitted students housing info useful?

I think these links are essentially the same as what you might get in the mail, but with some flashier brochures of happy people :) I've mostly been browsing craigslist, but that route will mean you'll live on your own away from other students likely. Of course, the dog in the suit on this site beats all the brochures imo... http://www.parkermgt.com/

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Thanks for the info! I just talked to admissions and they're going to send me that housing packet. It sucks that they accepted me after ASW though, going to be even harder to find an apt. and a roommate. I'm gonna have to hustle! Have you found the links under IU's webpage for admitted students housing info useful?

I think these links are essentially the same as what you might get in the mail, but with some flashier brochures of happy people :) I've mostly been browsing craigslist, but that route will mean you'll live on your own away from other students likely. Of course, the dog in the suit on this site beats all the brochures imo... http://www.parkermgt.com/

haha. Thanks for the link! Just thinking about using craigslist sparks horrible flashbacks of searching for an apt. in undergrad. lol. Good luck to you on finding a nice place and thanks again for the help! :)

Jspain

Postby Jspain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 pm

zla2014 wrote: Just thinking about using craigslist sparks horrible flashbacks of searching for an apt. in undergrad.

Amen. These guys still have studios for $450 at the "canadian" location (1m away from the law school) and they are 475 sq feet with a dishwasher (a rarity in the cheap apartments closer to the school). http://www.cspropertymanagement.com/

I'd check them out and hop on the waitlist for poolside - It's close to the law school and 525 for a studio. Good luck!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Do many apartment complexes take splitters off the wait list ;)?

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Just got my IU User ID #, as well as instructions on accessing OneStart Portal.

This was via email at 4:30 eastern time
Last edited by twairlines on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:20 pm

twairlines wrote:Just got my IU User ID #, as well as instructions on accessing OneStart and Portal.

In the mail or via email?

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:13 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
twairlines wrote:Just got my IU User ID #, as well as instructions on accessing OneStart and Portal.

Got mine via email at 3:30 central.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Received the deferral offer via email. I have a deadline of April 15 (admitted a while ago, got my April 1 date pushed back before SLD) to accept for this year or next and current scholarship offer is guaranteed ($120k, no increase offered as some have gotten). The email said the class is "overflowing."

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Lol...they are sending out deferral emails before an applicant even gets the chance to accept. Unless you got a job lined up it wld not make sense to wait out especially at the curent scholly since tuition keeps increasing annualy. They dug themselves this hole...is this a common thing tht happens at other schools?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Should have set the LSAT cutoff at 167 obv.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:45 pm

so it's not looking good for those of us who are on the WL obviously... sigh

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Still haven't heard back from them. I probably wouldn't go even w/ the 120k, tho so it's w/e. I think I'll just go ahead and e-mail them my withdrawal. Good luck everyone and enjoy IUB if you decide to matriculate

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Geez, I haven't even gotten formal word that they got my acceptance of their offer :|

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:16 pm

red_alertz wrote:so it's not looking good for those of us who are on the WL obviously... sigh
FWIW I am a super splitter. I know there was talk of them trying to boost their GPA median due to admitting so many of my kind. Since this appears to be the case, I don't blame them for trying to keep me from not further weighing down the median.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Do you think since they need to keep their high GPA people for their targeted median that us reverse splitters may have a little more leverage for scholarship negotiation? A girl can hope....:)

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
chrisnashville wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Geez, I haven't even gotten formal word that they got my acceptance of their offer :|

Hey incase they missed your acceptance, just let them know you were the one at our last session during sld mudering the questions :) . You should be fine as no one else really has said they got their id except for 2 of us. also, dont' be too worried at not getting a response back because the admissions office doesn't respond rather k.compton does. So I'm sure he is just bogged down and prob hasnkt had chance to respond to everyone.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Yea... I haven't recieved my user Id yet. I have to say I'm going to be quite peeved if they ask me to defer.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 am

stlisforlovers wrote:Yea... I haven't recieved my user Id yet. I have to say I'm going to be quite peeved if they ask me to defer.

Yeah, to clarify, though - as somebody who was offered and accepted the deferral, they never asked me to defer. They called and offered it to me, but I never felt pressure to take them up on it. Others may have interpreted the call otherwise, but I think it's awesome that they're giving the option of deferral and keeping the scholarship. If you accepted, it's all yours, I'm sure :)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 am

TommyK wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:Yea... I haven't recieved my user Id yet. I have to say I'm going to be quite peeved if they ask me to defer.

Yeah, to clarify, though - as somebody who was offered and accepted the deferral, they never asked me to defer. They called and offered it to me, but I never felt pressure to take them up on it. Others may have interpreted the call otherwise, but I think it's awesome that they're giving the option of deferral and keeping the scholarship. If you accepted, it's all yours, I'm sure :)

Well, if I don't make it in this year, or get a "you can come next year but not this year" from IU-B it'll be nice to have someone from the thread next year to commiserate over sitting out a year with.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:02 am

TommyK wrote:

Hey if you haven't noticed it says Class of 2014...get the F out of here :lol: . In all seriousness, you seemed like stand up guy through your posts, and hope to meet you when you join us at IU the following year.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:00 am

twairlines wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Hey if you haven't noticed it says Class of 2014...get the F out of here :lol: . In all seriousness, you seemed like stand up guy through your posts, and hope to meet you when you join us at IU the following year.

Nahh, I can be as much of an insufferable jackass as the next guy - just ask cowgirl_bebop :wink: I'm going to actually try to ween myself off TLS as much as possible over the next 12 months or it is going to drive me crazy watching everybody get ready for the next phase of their life. I'll feel like I'm on the sideline, begging coach to just put me in. Yep - see you in Bloomington in a bit. Enjoy your 1L (as much as you can enjoy your 1L year)

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 am

They have not asked me to defer, but I think I might like to anyways...

Are they asking people who've already committed? I'm getting cold feet, but I don't think I have a legitimate reason for asking for a deferral.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:They have not asked me to defer, but I think I might like to anyways...

Are they asking people who've already committed? I'm getting cold feet, but I don't think I have a legitimate reason for asking for a deferral.

Indiana seems to be very open to accepting deferrals for the following year. Usually, they don't let you carry forward your scholarship, though. That's what makes this different - they're offering some folks the chance to defer their scholarship, which is awesome. If you're having cold feet and know you would defer if offered, give 'em a call and see if they would allow you to defer w/ your money. Worst case scenario, they say no. If they ask why, you can always talk about this extra year would give you a chance to get your finances in order.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 am

I'm hoping they don't defer so many people that it makes it difficult to get accepted next cycle - I'd imagine they'll have to raise their standards even more (for those of us who will be applying again...) :/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”