IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
b.j.

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby b.j. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 pm

zla2014 wrote:
bigben5289 wrote:Hello

I was also accepted today. I am going to go visit in 2 weeks. I have been complete since 2/24.

Congrats! I too went complete 2/24. Probably going to schedule a flight on Tuesday. Are you a reverse splitter too?

How did you find out that you were accepted? I'm still not sure why some schools refuse to have an online status checker.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:14 am

b.j. wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

I was also accepted today. I am going to go visit in 2 weeks. I have been complete since 2/24.

Congrats! I too went complete 2/24. Probably going to schedule a flight on Tuesday. Are you a reverse splitter too?

How did you find out that you were accepted? I'm still not sure why some schools refuse to have an online status checker.

via e-mail

bigben5289

Postby bigben5289 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 am

zla2014 wrote:

I am a reverse splitter, also URM.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 am

So whoever came up with the theory of them trying to fix up their numbers a bit seems to be on to something. They probably noticed that their median was something like 3.4 / 167 and that if they're able to frontload a couple reverse splitters and backload a couple of splitters, they could get the median gpa up a bit and keep the lsat the same. Good theory, guys.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:55 am

TommyK wrote:So whoever came up with the theory of them trying to fix up their numbers a bit seems to be on to something. They probably noticed that their median was something like 3.4 / 167 and that if they're able to frontload a couple reverse splitters and backload a couple of splitters, they could get the median gpa up a bit and keep the lsat the same. Good theory, guys.

;)

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

in yesterday w $!

156/3.89 non URM

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

zla2014 wrote:
Jspain wrote:
chrisnashville wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Hey, I'm new to the thread. Just was accepted a few minutes ago via e-mail. Forgive me, I'm sure this question has been answered already but I read several pages back and couldn't find the answer. Is scholarship $$ included in the packet or would they have mentioned any $$ in the acceptance e-mail? Thanks!

In my acceptance packet they mentioned the scholarship in the second graf.. I don't think any money was discussed in any of the e-mails since, though.

Same. IU-B seems pretty good about giving you all of your info at once. I'd expect any scholarship info in the package that is/was mailed to you. :)

Thank you both for your quick responses! I'm on cloud nine over this acceptance! :)

My scholly info was in the email I received yesterday.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:28 am

manhattandoll8 wrote:in yesterday w $!

156/3.89 non URM

Congrats!

That GPA as a music major at IU is particularly impressive. (If it's not clear; I'm not being sarcastic. A's are not given freely in top BFA programs like IU).

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:41 am

Lwoods wrote:

156/3.89 non URM

Congrats!

That GPA as a music major at IU is particularly impressive. (If it's not clear; I'm not being sarcastic. A's are not given freely in top BFA programs like IU).

Thanks! I NEVER thought I would EVER have a reason to be back in Bloomington and I hadn't actually even considered going here because I didn't think I stood a chance of getting in but now I'm all sorts of confused about what to do. Anyone know if IUB places well in Chicago or other large metro areas? My BF is a professional musican so I was trying to stay in big cities (we are in nyc now) so that that he can have work opportunities but now that this is an option, it's very tempting.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 am

manhattandoll8 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

156/3.89 non URM

Congrats!

Thanks! I NEVER thought I would EVER have a reason to be back in Bloomington and I hadn't actually even considered going here because I didn't think I stood a chance of getting in but now I'm all sorts of confused about what to do. Anyone know if IUB places well in Chicago or other large metro areas? My BF is a professional musican so I was trying to stay in big cities (we are in nyc now) so that that he can have work opportunities but now that this is an option, it's very tempting.

I think the TLS chorus will probably say "no" to your question about big city placement, but I'm not sure that's 100% accurate. Chicago is tough because the market hasn't rebounded as well as some other markets and there are a lot of solid schools that are reasonably close (Chicago, NU, WUSTL, IUB, Notre Dame, UIUC) as well as it being home to people from t14 schools who want to return.

Part of the lack of NYC placement is probably due to self-selection, but I'm still a believer that if you're intentional about your networking, a strong performer, have a transparent desire to actually work and live within said marked, and not overall a weird person, you can get into most markets. And I think IUB is a big enough school with enough undergrad and law grad alumni that networking will not be impossible anywhere.

Also +1 to LWoods. We used to say during undergrad that three hardest majors were biochem, music, and a studio art. The amount of time that art students and music students put in outside of class put to shame what most law students do.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:41 am

danquayle wrote:
TommyK wrote:So whoever came up with the theory of them trying to fix up their numbers a bit seems to be on to something. They probably noticed that their median was something like 3.4 / 167 and that if they're able to frontload a couple reverse splitters and backload a couple of splitters, they could get the median gpa up a bit and keep the lsat the same. Good theory, guys.

;)

Tricky. I'm going to be really interested in what the GPA/LSAT medians are for our class. I would guess 3.5/166?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
danquayle wrote:

;)

Tricky. I'm going to be really interested in what the GPA/LSAT medians are for our class. I would guess 3.5/166?

Their threshold points are pretty obvious. 166 and 3.8. The way medians work, they either hit them or don't, but if they miss the GPA median, it'll be a big drop off... to like 3.4 or lower. Because of that, I'm actually guessing they'll actually hit them, because it sounds like they're working from a position of power. (Which kind of surprises me).

At the very least I doubt they'll drop their GPA median much if at all. They probably view the drop from 3.8 to 3.4 worse than the drop from 166 to 165, so if they sacrifice anything it'd be that extra LSAT point.

But... it really seems like they're in position to hit those medians. Sounds like they have a surplus of 166+ people if they're looking for deferrals. By surplus, that means a surplus over their 180 class size goal. They've shown they can accept up to 250. At this point, they can admit as many high GPA people as they want to make sure they offset the low GPA high LSAT people. I honestly suspect they'll keep taking people off the waitlist well into summer to account for late decommits and to ensure they get those numbers.

The fewer deferrals they get, the more reverse splitters they'll need. Lucky for them, reverse splitters are a buyers market. (True splitters are more a seller's market.) They can not only admit reverse splitters, but admit those with LSATs on the low side for a T1 school. (Because really, the LSAT doesn't matter in terms of impact on numbers. They could have a 3.9/140 and have the same impact on the class profile as a 3.9/162.)

That actually might be a good strategy --> offer admission to someone with a 3.8+ GPA but such a low LSAT that they wouldn't typically get into a T1, let alone a T-25. Those kinds of people might have the idea of leaping from a T3 to a T-25 irresistible, even at full sticker. That helps them not only offset the true splitter's numbers, but offset the cost of the true splitter's scholarship.

This is gaming the system at its purest, and I love it.

(Of course, I don't think the LSAT is that predictive anyway).
Last edited by danquayle on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

manhattandoll8 wrote:
My scholly info was in the email I received yesterday.

Nooo! lol.

Well we are basically number twins and I do have somewhat of a background in art too. Interesting.

I, too, didn't think I stood a chance but now I'm EXTREMELY interested.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 pm

danquayle wrote:
chrisnashville wrote:
danquayle wrote:

;)

Their threshold points are pretty obvious. 166 and 3.8. The way medians work, they either hit them or don't, but if they miss the GPA median, it'll be a big drop off... to like 3.4 or lower. Because of that, I'm actually guessing they'll actually hit them, because it sounds like they're working from a position of power. (Which kind of surprises me).

At the very least I doubt they'll drop their GPA median much if at all. They probably view the drop from 3.8 to 3.4 worse than the drop from 166 to 165, so if they sacrifice anything it'd be that extra LSAT point.

But... it really seems like they're in position to hit those medians. Sounds like they have a surplus of 166+ people if they're looking for deferrals. By surplus, that means a surplus over their 180 class size goal. They've shown they can accept up to 250. At this point, they can admit as many high GPA people as they want to make sure they offset the low GPA high LSAT people. I honestly suspect they'll keep taking people off the waitlist well into summer to account for late decommits and to ensure they get those numbers.

The fewer deferrals they get, the more reverse splitters they'll need. Lucky for them, reverse splitters are a buyers market. (True splitters are more a seller's market.) They can not only admit reverse splitters, but admit those with LSATs on the low side for a T1 school. That actually might be a good strategy --> offer admission to someone with a 3.8+ GPA but such a low LSAT that they wouldn't typically get into a T1, let alone a T-25. Those kinds of people might have the idea of leaping from a T3 to a T-25 irresistible, even at full sticker. That helps them not only offset the true splitter's numbers, but offset the cost of the true splitter's scholarship.

You're right. I do find it irresistible! I And I love this too! I've been hoping that they would play this game and sure enough they did!

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:21 pm

zla2014 wrote:
danquayle wrote:

The fewer deferrals they get, the more reverse splitters they'll need. Lucky for them, reverse splitters are a buyers market. (True splitters are more a seller's market.) They can not only admit reverse splitters, but admit those with LSATs on the low side for a T1 school. That actually might be a good strategy --> offer admission to someone with a 3.8+ GPA but such a low LSAT that they wouldn't typically get into a T1, let alone a T-25. Those kinds of people might have the idea of leaping from a T3 to a T-25 irresistible, even at full sticker. That helps them not only offset the true splitter's numbers, but offset the cost of the true splitter's scholarship.

You're right. I do find it irresistible! I And I love this too! I've been hoping that they would play this game and sure enough they did!

Indiana, if you're reading this, you should hire me into your admissions office. :)

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:34 pm

danquayle wrote:Indiana, if you're reading this, you should hire me into your admissions office. :)

Too funny, by some of your insight, I kind of suspected they already had :wink:

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Everyone ITT has been so nice, it makes me love IU-B even more! I'm about to call the school to ask about visiting because I am too anxious to wait until my packet arrives to receive more info. But, I want your insight as well on visiting and housing.

There is an apartment complex that houses a lot of law students close to the law school building, correct? Would it be impossible to rent one of these apartments or a room in one of these apartments so late in the cycle? I'll be completely new to the town and don't want to live in an unfamiliar city alone. Any advice on where I should look that's within walking distance to campus or am I SOL at this point?

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:44 pm

comp keeps double-sending. pls forgive me. :|

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 pm

What do you guys think my chances are right now?
166/3.1
IUB undergrad
Full time work at government agency for 3 summers
Sent in app 2/28 but didn't go complete till 3/30.

I'm beginning to think about taking a year off and trying again next cycle :(
Last edited by Bobeo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Bobeo wrote:What do you guys think my chances are right now?
166/3.1
IUB undergrad
Full time summer work at government agency

Well, I got 120k with those numbers, but also applied about 5 months before you.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Ya I shot myself in the foot getting into the game as late as I did.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Well, I think taking a year off could be a great option if things don't work out as hoped this cycle. Good luck.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

zla2014 wrote:Everyone ITT has been so nice, it makes me love IU-B even more! I'm about to call the school to ask about visiting because I am too anxious to wait until my packet arrives to receive more info. But, I want your insight as well on visiting and housing.

There is an apartment complex that houses a lot of law students close to the law school building, correct? Would it be impossible to rent one of these apartments or a room in one of these apartments so late in the cycle? I'll be completely new to the town and don't want to live in an unfamiliar city alone. Any advice on where I should look that's within walking distance to campus or am I SOL at this point?

Well, they did show us a few places that were law-student-focused (and didn't accept undergrads as tenants) but from what I hear, they're all full and have a waitlist. If you do visit IU they should have a packet of housing information, but not sure how helpful it will be, as you said, this late in the cycle. I'm still looking, and might settle on an apartment on the side of a house hopefully less than a mile from the law building.

Bobeo wrote:Ya I shot myself in the foot getting into the game as late as I did.

Yeah, you might have trouble with that GPA. I'm suspecting those stats were golden in November, but now they're trying to boost their GPA median if anything :(

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm deferring, gang.

For all of those I met during SLD, it was great meeting you and I hope to see you in 2012, a few months before the ancient Mayans rise up and kill us all. Take good notes for me ;)

Cheers,
TK

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Bobeo wrote:What do you guys think my chances are right now?
166/3.1
IUB undergrad
Full time work at government agency for 3 summers

If you're truly option to taking a year off, you could proactively broach the topic and mention deferring, maybe get the same deal as these other people. Though, I'm not sure what incentive Indiana would have for doing that... Still couldn't hurt, and it could put you on the radar early for getting a $120k deal next year.

Either way, I'd wait til you get a decision first though. Unfortunately, I'm guessing you'll get put on the waitlist at this point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”