IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stlisforlovers

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:26 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I also like that it is on the first page on the U.S. news website, the same can't be said for ND...

It sounds stupid (and is), but when I started this whole law school business it was my goal to go to a school on the first page of USNWR.

AND NOW I REASONABLY CAN.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:30 am

danquayle wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:Yea... I know the rankings really don't matter but it makes me excited that I got an almost full ride to a top 25 school. Top 25 sounds much better than top 30 for some reason.

+1

I've said it a hundred times, rankings matter if they're sustained. Year to year fluctuations are irrelevant, but trends matter. What makes US News powerful is that people actually buy into them. More people have considered IU ever since they cracked the top 30. That brings in better students, which eventually brings in better recruiters. You sustain that pattern for a decade and you'll establish a stronger alumni base and an accompanying stronger reputation. Reputation is all about the echo chamber.

As foolish as some people think it is, I think its far more foolish to think Indiana's sudden 3 year stay in the 20s after decades in the 30s doesn't mean something. IU still needs to sustain this effort for more years for it to really matter, but they're definitely doing some things right, and I can respect that.

Succinctly, IU's ranking in the top 25 for a year, a couple years or even 5 years don't make it a "top 25" school. But I think 10 years would.

it's too late for reason Mr. Quayle, the coke party is in full swing at the admissions office

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 am

seriously???? wrote:
danquayle wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:Yea... I know the rankings really don't matter but it makes me excited that I got an almost full ride to a top 25 school. Top 25 sounds much better than top 30 for some reason.

+1

I've said it a hundred times, rankings matter if they're sustained. Year to year fluctuations are irrelevant, but trends matter. What makes US News powerful is that people actually buy into them. More people have considered IU ever since they cracked the top 30. That brings in better students, which eventually brings in better recruiters. You sustain that pattern for a decade and you'll establish a stronger alumni base and an accompanying stronger reputation. Reputation is all about the echo chamber.

As foolish as some people think it is, I think its far more foolish to think Indiana's sudden 3 year stay in the 20s after decades in the 30s doesn't mean something. IU still needs to sustain this effort for more years for it to really matter, but they're definitely doing some things right, and I can respect that.

Succinctly, IU's ranking in the top 25 for a year, a couple years or even 5 years don't make it a "top 25" school. But I think 10 years would.

it's too late for reason Mr. Quayle, the coke party is in full swing at the admissions office

That's a party I'd actually like to get an invite to. I bet Keller could get CRAZY.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

prospective student: So if I am a median student, what kind of job prospects can I get?
Admissions: You can get anything you want (sniff,sniff). We're 23! (Sniff) We're gonna outplace GULC (Sniff) Then Chicago (sniff,sniff) Then the whole fucking world. (overdose)

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 am

#23!!!!!!!!

daniel5126

Postby daniel5126 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 am

2010: 23rd
2011: 27th
2012: 23rd

if this trend continues, then we'll be ranked 23rd again by the time we graduate!

JKill01

Postby JKill01 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 am

stlisforlovers wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I also like that it is on the first page on the U.S. news website, the same can't be said for ND...

It sounds stupid (and is), but when I started this whole law school business it was my goal to go to a school on the first page of USNWR.

AND NOW I REASONABLY CAN.

Yeah I would be lying if it I didn't say IU-B being on the first page pumped me up. It has an odd psychological effect.

Also, I e-mailed them my commitment last week, and I should be seeing some of you at the ASW... :)
Last edited by JKill01 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:31 am

I'm on the waitlist. When are the deposit deadlines this year? I want to get an idea of when I can expect some movement.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 am

jaydizzle wrote:I'm on the waitlist. When are the deposit deadlines this year? I want to get an idea of when I can expect some movement.

Actually in a couple weeks, April 1. The ASW is in a week and a half though, and I imagine most people who are on the fence will make their decision then, so I'd imagine you'd see movement sooner than later...

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 am

chrisnashville wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I'm on the waitlist. When are the deposit deadlines this year? I want to get an idea of when I can expect some movement.

Actually in a couple weeks, April 1. The ASW is in a week and a half though, and I imagine most people who are on the fence will make their decision then, so I'd imagine you'd see movement sooner than later...

Great, thanks! If I do get in, I probably won't get a dime. Being out of state would mean this school would cost me a fortune.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 am

Apparently IUB has already taken some people off of the waitlist. I suspect you should hear something by the first few weeks in April. Also, IUB doesnt require any deposit, just an email saying you plan on attending.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Apparently IUB has already taken some people off of the waitlist. I suspect you should hear something by the first few weeks in April. Also, IUB doesnt require any deposit, just an email saying you plan on attending.

Is the e-mail binding?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 am

SrLaw wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Is the e-mail binding?

My understanding is that it is just as binding as any seat deposit is - which is to say, not at all. They say "we take your word as a future lawyer". Which I imagine is a pretty effective guilt trip 8). I won't be sending an email accepting my seat without full intention of attending.

JakeDelhomme

Postby JakeDelhomme » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

i went complete on 12/20 and still haven't heard anything - no acceptance, no waitlist, no rejection. is anyone else in a similar boat?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:08 pm

JakeDelhomme wrote:i went complete on 12/20 and still haven't heard anything - no acceptance, no waitlist, no rejection. is anyone else in a similar boat?

This makes me feel a lot worse about going complete after February scores were released.

ciceroJD

Postby ciceroJD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm

JakeDelhomme wrote:i went complete on 12/20 and still haven't heard anything - no acceptance, no waitlist, no rejection. is anyone else in a similar boat?

i went complete in December, and haven't heard anything either.

Any thoughts on why we have yet to hear anything? Do you think they will make us wait till after the April 1st deadline?

introversional

Postby introversional » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Per recent ranking developments, I'd love to see a ND vs IU smackdown ITT.

Hoosiers vs. Leprechauns

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

introversional wrote:Per recent ranking developments, I'd love to see a ND vs IU smackdown ITT.

Hoosiers vs. Leprechauns

If there is an NFL season this year, Jimmy Clausen will lead the panthers to the league's second in history 0-16 record

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:16 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:
introversional wrote:Per recent ranking developments, I'd love to see a ND vs IU smackdown ITT.

Hoosiers vs. Leprechauns

If there is an NFL season this year, Jimmy Clausen will lead the panthers to the league's second in history 0-16 record

I'm bored at work, so I'll play.
Since IU football is completely irrelevant, how 'bout that basketball team? IU was the only D1 team in Indiana to have a losing record this year. Congrats!

(I actually have split loyalties as a ND football and IU basketball fan and have not yet chosen between the two schools.)

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:58 pm

Lou9 wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:

Hoosiers vs. Leprechauns

I'm bored at work, so I'll play.
Since IU football is completely irrelevant, how 'bout that basketball team? IU was the only D1 team in Indiana to have a losing record this year. Congrats!

(I actually have split loyalties as a ND football and IU basketball fan and have not yet chosen between the two schools.)

ND and IU were tied in at 23 in 2009 too.

Let's not compare the two schools. They're far too dissimilar and Notre Dame sports would CRUSH Indiana right now.

I will say though, I always found it curious they never play in football or at least basketball

Edit: We do have a bunch of ND people in the office though, and I did mention the tie this morning.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 pm

ciceroJD wrote:

i went complete in December, and haven't heard anything either.

Any thoughts on why we have yet to hear anything? Do you think they will make us wait till after the April 1st deadline?

Definitely call. They seem to be pretty receptive to letting them know you're still interested.

mla

Postby mla » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 pm

chrisnashville wrote:

My acceptance was pretty recent, but the deadline was April 15. Maybe it's different depending on when you're accepted?

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

Anyone already written to accept your admission gotten a response? Do you get a response back? How long did/does it take?

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Yes, I got a response but it took roughly a week.

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:Yes, I got a response but it took roughly a week.

Thank you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”