IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm

krad wrote:
danquayle wrote:
daniel5126 wrote:
beidoun wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/GreedisGood

Looks like IU-B is changing their game plan for the rest of the cycle.

I got an email on Friday saying I was accepted and the packet is coming.

time to decide if 50k in debt and a degree from Indiana ≥ 170k debt and a degree from GWU

Yes.

170k in debt is bananas.

I second this. FWIW I withdrew from GW as soon as I found out they weren't giving out much $. Their COA is crazy high :|

Sticker or anything near sticker at GWU is insanity. They were on a $105K or $0 thing this year, and I happened to be one of those $0 people. I cant possibly pay for that, but I havent withdrawn yet. Once I officially accept an offer (most likely after I visit IUB for SLD) I will tell GW where to shove it, lol

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 pm

jdfrisby wrote:

Do you have any info other than the 1 WL that shows that they are looking for high GPAs instead of high LSATs?

Two WL, which is not enough information to say they have moved from high LSAT to high GPAs. But the applicant linked has a 3.5+ and a 166, so weather this shows a seismic shift in what IU-B will be doing for the rest of the cycle or not, it is still interesting to see them WL this candidate.

JKill01

Postby JKill01 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 pm

I just e-mailed them my intent to attend and withdrew my other aps, so I'll be joining some of you guys/gals in Bloomington next year. :)
Last edited by JKill01 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 pm

beidoun wrote:
jdfrisby wrote:

Do you have any info other than the 1 WL that shows that they are looking for high GPAs instead of high LSATs?

Two WL, which is not enough information to say they have moved from high LSAT to high GPAs. But the applicant linked has a 3.5+ and a 166, so weather this shows a seismic shift in what IU-B will be doing for the rest of the cycle or not, it is still interesting to see them WL this candidate.

Ok, cause you're original post scared the shit out of me. I've been freaking out for the last hour thinking that you had some other info I wasn't privy to. Thank God it's just speculative.
p.s. I wasn't considering the other WL b/c he/she has a 2.4 GPA so I doubted the significance of it.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 pm

pics will be up tuesday night / wed

teaser --ImageRemoved--

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 pm

jdfrisby wrote:
beidoun wrote:
jdfrisby wrote:

Ok, cause you're original post scared the shit out of me. I've been freaking out for the last hour thinking that you had some other info I wasn't privy to. Thank God it's just speculative.
p.s. I wasn't considering the other WL b/c he/she has a 2.4 GPA so I doubted the significance of it.

this WL doesn't seem to be a shift in IUB but rather something wrong with the applicant besides numbers

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 pm

dreakol wrote:
jdfrisby wrote:Ok, cause you're original post scared the shit out of me. I've been freaking out for the last hour thinking that you had some other info I wasn't privy to. Thank God it's just speculative.

this WL doesn't seem to be a shift in IUB but rather something wrong with the applicant besides numbers

thank you!!! that is incredibly comforting.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 pm

jdfrisby wrote:
dreakol wrote:
jdfrisby wrote:Ok, cause you're original post scared the shit out of me. I've been freaking out for the last hour thinking that you had some other info I wasn't privy to. Thank God it's just speculative.

thank you!!! that is incredibly comforting.

sorry if I was beating a dead horse with what I said since I basically echoed what a previous poster had said.

I am just a little nervous about it as well since I applied late. Though, I am above the medians. At least lsat.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Came home to find a waitlist letter in my mailbox. 163/3.3, applied mid November, interviewed in DC in January.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 pm

ALSO - according to a IUb professor this years class will be smaller than last, under 200. Take it for what its worth but the guy had a good reason to know this.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am

Sandro wrote:ALSO - according to a IUb professor this years class will be smaller than last, under 200. Take it for what its worth but the guy had a good reason to know this.

Did you enjoy your visit? I didn't get to interact with any professors or anything and I'd really like to hear your opinions about the people you met. Thanks.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am

stlisforlovers wrote:
Sandro wrote:ALSO - according to a IUb professor this years class will be smaller than last, under 200. Take it for what its worth but the guy had a good reason to know this.

Did you enjoy your visit? I didn't get to interact with any professors or anything and I'd really like to hear your opinions about the people you met. Thanks.

I did. Bloomington is a nice place, I cant imagine how nice it will look when it warms up. I met with Admissions Dean Motley for a good 30+ minutes and Dean Keller (Career Office) for just under that. Very open and honest conversation about IUb. I also met with the summer start professor Gjerdingen and had a nice conversation about it and IUb as a whole. They all talked about the strength of IU's alum network as well as the focus on helping you become a better lawyer rather than just a law student.

Very tough decisions coming up this month.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 am

Sandro wrote:pics will be up tuesday night / wed

teaser --ImageRemoved--

Gah. Bloomington is gorgeous.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 am

I demand names.

lateblooming

Postby lateblooming » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
krad wrote:
danquayle wrote:
daniel5126 wrote:
I got an email on Friday saying I was accepted and the packet is coming.

time to decide if 50k in debt and a degree from Indiana ≥ 170k debt and a degree from GWU

Yes.

170k in debt is bananas.

I second this. FWIW I withdrew from GW as soon as I found out they weren't giving out much $. Their COA is crazy high :|

Sticker or anything near sticker at GWU is insanity. They were on a $105K or $0 thing this year, and I happened to be one of those $0 people. I cant possibly pay for that, but I havent withdrawn yet. Once I officially accept an offer (most likely after I visit IUB for SLD) I will tell GW where to shove it, lol

I guess I'm not the only one - I really had no interest in IUB in the beginning of the cycle but applied a month ago and here I am with a 120k offer.

I'm looking at offers from GWU & BU (so far with no money from either), and WL'd at Vandy & Michigan. Are people excited about Bloomington? Do they have good food there? If so, I'm in.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am

lateblooming wrote:I guess I'm not the only one - I really had no interest in IUB in the beginning of the cycle but applied a month ago and here I am with a 120k offer.

I'm looking at offers from GWU & BU (so far with no money from either), and WL'd at Vandy & Michigan. Are people excited about Bloomington? Do they have good food there? If so, I'm in.

Food is fantastic. Best restaurants per capita of any place I've ever been.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 am

Lwoods wrote:

teaser

I hope that's just a bad angle of the building because it looks like a prison.

:?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

teaser

I've been inside, it's much prettier in the spring! Not the most modern buildings, but they're comfortable and very 'old institution' feeling. The neighborhood itself is very pretty and the library is nice. This is kind of a bad angle though...

Eagles_Legendz

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 am

Can anybody venture a guess as to whether the scholarship numbers trend might continue? My numbers are in line with those who received the 120k package. If I received that, Indiana would probably become my first choice, but I applied rather late in the cycle (mid Feb). Did they release a bunch of scholarship money at once, or was it per acceptance?

Thanks.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:53 am

It seemed like they threw out a lot of money all at once (if you met the 166+ requirement) until about early-mid Feb, and are now waitlisting everyone. I know others have other opinions, but I think it will completely depend on how many of these $120k's are accepted. I would imagine they would replace some of these with similar numbers off the waitlist (maybe with less $) and try to fill most of the rest of the class with high GPA's, then throw out some sticker acceptances. Maybe I'm totally off, but especially if they have a smaller class, it seems like they'll try to hold on to as many of the higher LSAT's as possible.

I have pretty much resigned myself to waiting another year. June LSAT, here I come!

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:00 am

teaser iub.jpg

Ohhh I can't wait to see them!

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am

iowalum wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

teaser

I've been inside, it's much prettier in the spring! Not the most modern buildings, but they're comfortable and very 'old institution' feeling. The neighborhood itself is very pretty and the library is nice. This is kind of a bad angle though...

Yeah, that is probably the least flattering view of the law school. It's not even near an entrance and is the back of the building.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:02 am

Where is everyone coming from for ASW?

nadiaaa5860

Postby nadiaaa5860 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:07 am

SrLaw wrote:Where is everyone coming from for ASW?

I'm coming from the Detroit area. Have you guys checked out the admitted class so far for 2014 on the Admitted Students page on IUB's website, seems to be a lotttt of local kids, which makes sense because they'd be more likely to commit sooner but still I was hoping for a really diverse class.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:12 am

Yea, bad angle. I really liked the limestone buildings and the architecture, a break from the god awful 70s modernist/gross buildings of my ug.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”