IU Bloomington Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stlisforlovers

Bronze

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Post by stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Yay! congrats, new admits!

JenDarby, I would definitely email them to evaluate without your new score. Actually, I would call them, as it seems that they are not very quick in responding to emails... as in it takes over a month for them to respond.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 pm

hey guys, on the acceptance letter it mentions the summer start program, and the letter says more information is about it in the packet. Well my packet includes the accept. letter, personal note, LSAC financing my education book, and a travel guide about Bloomington. Oh and the red folder the letter was in. Am I missing something?

RooksWS6

New

Post by RooksWS6 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:11 pm

twairlines wrote:hey guys, on the acceptance letter it mentions the summer start program, and the letter says more information is about it in the packet. Well my packet includes the accept. letter, personal note, LSAC financing my education book, and a travel guide about Bloomington. Oh and the red folder the letter was in. Am I missing something?
No you're not missing anything. Mine included the same. I was told they would be sending more info out in a separate mailing.

I'm a little surprised by people having trouble getting email responses. My experience has been quite the opposite--several hours to a day tops...

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Maybe they just don't like me :oops:

I needed to add something to my application and it took two emails, a phone call, and about six weeks to get a response. I emailed them about two weeks ago with a scholarship question and I've gotten nothing but silence. I'm sure they're overwhelmed right now, so it's understandable. It sort of makes me feel bad though if it's just me they don't respond to. Haha

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Got my package!

In, $120K, same deal as everyone else.

I am so cised. 95% chance I show up in the fall!!
Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pcvmeli

New

Post by pcvmeli » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Just got word from the States that I am another one with the 120k! So excited! I am thinking about the JD/MPA program. Anyone else doing a dual-degree? Not 100% set on IU, but unless someone offers me more $, I'll likely be there. I wonder how many of us got these huge scholarships and how it will affect enrollment.

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Congrats on people getting acceptances.

With all the action lately, it seems like they're getting all the full schollys out of the way at the moment. Hopefully I'll hear soon and at least get some $...I'd love to go to IU, but it needs to work financially.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm about 95% i'll be attending. Only 90k but still really excited about it.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 am

My family is apparently not going to be as supportive as I would like with this one. They straight up told me they dont want me to go. They have their heart set on me going to SJU and aren't trying to hear about me going away to Indiana. Kind of disappointed, because I would have hoped they would back me a bit more in this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alexb

Bronze

Post by alexb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:36 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:My family is apparently not going to be as supportive as I would like with this one. They straight up told me they dont want me to go. They have their heart set on me going to SJU and aren't trying to hear about me going away to Indiana. Kind of disappointed, because I would have hoped they would back me a bit more in this.
While it's not really my place, but you posted this, so I feel like you might want this sort of input, but I'm not sure, I think you need to do what you think is best for your future. If you haven't already, try explaining that to them, that the legal market is rough, especially the NYC market, and unless you have some serious connections, all you're going to have to work with is the prestige of your degree and your class rank.

Sorry if you I offended you. No harm was meant, truly.

FuturMinn

New

Post by FuturMinn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:51 am

Go to INDIANA, seriously. Seems like the better option since the scholarship is not the issue. Good luck with whatever you choose though!

tlabrum3

New

Post by tlabrum3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 am

In w/ the 120k. 167/3.41. I'm sure this has already been mentioned but does anyone know specifics about what "maintaing satisfactory progress" means?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:07 am

tlabrum3 wrote:In w/ the 120k. 167/3.41. I'm sure this has already been mentioned but does anyone know specifics about what "maintaing satisfactory progress" means?
when did you submit your app?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mf980

New

Post by mf980 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:19 am

pcvmeli wrote:Just got word from the States that I am another one with the 120k! So excited! I am thinking about the JD/MPA program. Anyone else doing a dual-degree? Not 100% set on IU, but unless someone offers me more $, I'll likely be there. I wonder how many of us got these huge scholarships and how it will affect enrollment.
If the scholarship is renewable beyond three years, then I would definitely pursue a joint degree. Like you, I'm curious about the JD/MPA program, which seems to be a nice complement of skills.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 am

alexb wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:My family is apparently not going to be as supportive as I would like with this one. They straight up told me they dont want me to go. They have their heart set on me going to SJU and aren't trying to hear about me going away to Indiana. Kind of disappointed, because I would have hoped they would back me a bit more in this.
While it's not really my place, but you posted this, so I feel like you might want this sort of input, but I'm not sure, I think you need to do what you think is best for your future. If you haven't already, try explaining that to them, that the legal market is rough, especially the NYC market, and unless you have some serious connections, all you're going to have to work with is the prestige of your degree and your class rank.

Oh no Im am far from offended. My reasoning matches up with yours exactly, especially since I have NO legal connections at all. I am a finance major so I know some people in ibanking and whatnot, but I dont know anyone who is a current lawyer and only have one friend who has gone to law school.

I guess its just going to be tough going to school somewhere that my family doesnt want me to go. They can be very vocal and I know they are going to hang this over my head and try to shame me into staying for a long time, lol.
FuturMinn wrote:Go to INDIANA, seriously. Seems like the better option since the scholarship is not the issue. Good luck with whatever you choose though!
It'll probably be Indiana. Guess I'll just have to get used to the Midwest, since I've only been there once :D

cerulean87

New

Post by cerulean87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:35 am

danquayle wrote:
cerulean87 wrote:Just got my package today. In with a full ride so 120k. 3.85 gpa and 167 lsat. Definitely a great offer and close to Michigan so I'll likely be attending. Very happy. Congrats to all the others and good luck to anyone still waiting!
Where are you in Michigan?
About 40 minutes from the capital. Small town. As I've been checking out Bloomington I'm getting excited. There's actually forms of culture there *gasp* :) Driving to Detroit all the time gets a bit old. Are you in MI as well?

cerulean87

New

Post by cerulean87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
alexb wrote:

Oh no Im am far from offended. My reasoning matches up with yours exactly, especially since I have NO legal connections at all. I am a finance major so I know some people in ibanking and whatnot, but I dont know anyone who is a current lawyer and only have one friend who has gone to law school.

I guess its just going to be tough going to school somewhere that my family doesnt want me to go. They can be very vocal and I know they are going to hang this over my head and try to shame me into staying for a long time, lol.
FuturMinn wrote:Go to INDIANA, seriously. Seems like the better option since the scholarship is not the issue. Good luck with whatever you choose though!
It'll probably be Indiana. Guess I'll just have to get used to the Midwest, since I've only been there once :D
Yay for the Midwest! :) If you like the outdoors at all you'll like the midwest just fine. You may just have to deal with our nasally accents occasionally :) Where are you from?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 am

cerulean87 wrote: Yay for the Midwest! :) If you like the outdoors at all you'll like the midwest just fine. You may just have to deal with our nasally accents occasionally :) Where are you from?
I was born in VA and moved to MD in 04. I have been in DC since 06. All of my family live in VA and NYC, so I am a Southern/East Coast girl to the bone! Last year I went to IU with our men's basketball team to play a game, which we lost, but other than that I have had no dealings with the Midwest. I am not really an outdoorsy type; I like the city scene in DC and NY much better. Its going to be hard to leave and adjust, at least at first.

cerulean87

New

Post by cerulean87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
cerulean87 wrote: Yay for the Midwest! :) If you like the outdoors at all you'll like the midwest just fine. You may just have to deal with our nasally accents occasionally :) Where are you from?
I was born in VA and moved to MD in 04. I have been in DC since 06. All of my family live in VA and NYC, so I am a Southern/East Coast girl to the bone! Last year I went to IU with our men's basketball team to play a game, which we lost, but other than that I have had no dealings with the Midwest. I am not really an outdoorsy type; I like the city scene in DC and NY much better. Its going to be hard to leave and adjust, at least at first.
Well from what I've checked out, Bloomington seems to have a fairly well rounded hub of culture. So while it won't be NYC, you'll still have your choice of food, music art etc. And perhaps you'll dip your toes in the great outdoors and fall in love :) It will definitely be an adjustment but hopefully it's a fun one. I'm definitely planning on a trip to Bloomington soon though just to get a more well rounded view. If you can also it'd probably be a very good idea.

yepyep

New

Post by yepyep » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 am

With all due respect. It's not their decision, so who cares what they think. If they had your best interests in mind, they would A. want you to go to the better school with better job prospects, and B. want you to go where YOU want to go and would seem to be the happiest. Doesn't sound like A or B has been contemplated in their thought process. Just sayin.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:27 am

I went to Illinois for undergrad and from what people have told me Bloomington is very similar to Champaign, and for me that's not a bad thing :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:30 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I went to Illinois for undergrad and from what people have told me Bloomington is very similar to Champaign, and for me that's not a bad thing :D
Champaign is awesome. I went there for the first time after I graduated to visit a buddy and I was so annoyed that my coffee shops back at my undergrad didn't serve wine and beer.

cerulean87

New

Post by cerulean87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:32 am

TommyK wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I went to Illinois for undergrad and from what people have told me Bloomington is very similar to Champaign, and for me that's not a bad thing :D
Champaign is awesome. I went there for the first time after I graduated to visit a buddy and I was so annoyed that my coffee shops back at my undergrad didn't serve wine and beer.
Wait, coffee shops there serve wine and beer? I may need to strongly consider my offer from Illinois :)

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

cerulean87 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Wait, coffee shops there serve wine and beer? I may need to strongly consider my offer from Illinois :)
I know, right! They also have one of the most amazing beer bars I've ever been to and the attractive bartenders know their beer - The Blind Pig. It's the kind of place that you'd get kicked out if you ordered a Coors.

cerulean87

New

Post by cerulean87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:36 am

TommyK wrote:
cerulean87 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
I know, right! They also have one of the most amazing beer bars I've ever been to and the attractive bartenders know their beer - The Blind Pig. It's the kind of place that you'd get kicked out if you ordered a Coors.
Ugh that's the way all places should be run. The town I live in is obsessed with bud light. There's only one place to get any micro brews or anything worth drinking. Normally we just buy from a small store outside of town that carries everything and opt to drink in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”