IU Bloomington Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Gold

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Post by Sandro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:56 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:In! Applied 1/11, complete 1/20, package was postmarked the same day. Just received it yesterday.
OOS, 2.90, 167

105,000 scholly!
I applied mid december (took Dec LSAT) and got a complete email on 1/24. Same* numbers. I don't get it .... :?:

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:26 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:In! Applied 1/11, complete 1/20, package was postmarked the same day. Just received it yesterday.
OOS, 2.90, 167

105,000 scholly!
Congrats!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Sandro wrote:
OOS, 2.90, 167

105,000 scholly!
I applied mid december (took Dec LSAT) and got a complete email on 1/24. Same* numbers. I don't get it .... :?:
How has the rest of your cycle been? Any LOR's that you're kind of worried about in retrospect? Anything weird about your personal statement? It's probably nothing, though.

It's still within the timeframe of 8-10 weeks of submission. I wouldn't sweat it quite yet. Who knows why some get processed more quickly than others.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 pm

I sent in my app mid-November. I think it is safe to say that I did not get in. I'm not surprised. I just wish they wouldn't keep me waiting this long though for a rejection.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Rejected - 158/3.65 .. wasn't really expecting anything else :?

Good luck to everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:15 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I sent in my app mid-November. I think it is safe to say that I did not get in. I'm not surprised. I just wish they wouldn't keep me waiting this long though for a rejection.
Whats your numbers?

It seems to me that they are waiting on most applicants that are under 165 LSAT score to keep their median at the level they want.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Just had my interview today in D.C. Went really well I think! Fingers crossed that I hear something soon! Do they email or only snail mail?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 pm

beidoun wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I sent in my app mid-November. I think it is safe to say that I did not get in. I'm not surprised. I just wish they wouldn't keep me waiting this long though for a rejection.
Whats your numbers?

It seems to me that they are waiting on most applicants that are under 165 LSAT score to keep their median at the level they want.

Way under in the 150s. It's one of my hail mary schools.

ixwad

New

Post by ixwad » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Why do they interview some and not others?

In today with $120K -- 166, 3.51

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 pm

TommyK wrote:
Sandro wrote:
OOS, 2.90, 167

105,000 scholly!
How has the rest of your cycle been? Any LOR's that you're kind of worried about in retrospect? Anything weird about your personal statement? It's probably nothing, though.

It's still within the timeframe of 8-10 weeks of submission. I wouldn't sweat it quite yet. Who knows why some get processed more quickly than others.
I got into my #1 choice so my app cant be THAT bad. It just doesnt make sense that I could apply almost a month before you yet go complete 4 days after. Not really sweating IU because only a 105/120k scholly would make them competitive and I don't expect anything. Just odd to see people apply later with sameish numbers get in with scholarships before I even go complete.

SortOfObsessed

New

Post by SortOfObsessed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 am

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have been negotiating your 120k offers (either with other schools or with Indiana for more money).

Not to be completely greedy, but it seems like if they're already offering you 120k, they must want you enough to get your guaranteed attendance with a 9k increase.

Anyone tried sending a letter being like "I'll definitely go if you change this 120k to full tuition"?

And if you're negotiating with other schools, how has it been working out?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:39 am

SortOfObsessed wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have been negotiating your 120k offers (either with other schools or with Indiana for more money).

Not to be completely greedy, but it seems like if they're already offering you 120k, they must want you enough to get your guaranteed attendance with a 9k increase.

Anyone tried sending a letter being like "I'll definitely go if you change this 120k to full tuition"?

i think if #s are the end all be all, i deserve better than 120k given other people who have gotten the same offer with substantially lower numbers. i'm also grateful for the offer, and don't want to lose it. it's my best offer so far.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 am

ixwad wrote:Why do they interview some and not others?

In today with $120K -- 166, 3.51

Congrats!!

When did you apply/go complete?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 am

justadude55 wrote:
SortOfObsessed wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have been negotiating your 120k offers (either with other schools or with Indiana for more money).

i think if #s are the end all be all, i deserve better than 120k given other people who have gotten the same offer with substantially lower numbers. i'm also grateful for the offer, and don't want to lose it. it's my best offer so far.
:roll:

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am

OOS, 2.90, 167

105,000 scholly!
Congrats! This gives me a glimmer of hope that I may get a decision soon as well. I submitted on 1/14 and went complete on 1/17. Let's hope for Monday!

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:43 am

I'm not sure why they interview some people and not others. I've heard that they 1) interview borderline candidates; 2) open interviews to all people applying from certain cities (I'm D.C.) or 3) interview people that they are interested in accepting, but just want the final face-to-face (which is kind of a different way to say reason #1).

Has anyone been interviewed and rejected or waitlisted?

Edit: Before my interview yesterday, I also spoke with their director of recruitment who told me that because of the job market, law firms are looking at factors outside of class rank when making offers (want folks with experience and interpersonal skills), and so that lets them (Indiana) look at factors outside of LSAT and GPA.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:52 am

I'm nearly certain that the folks reporting a "$120k" scholarship are rounding for convenience and their actual package says something to the effect of: "full out of state tuition for six semesters..." Point being, I think for TLS purposes $120k = full tuition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 am

RMstratosphere wrote:

I'm nearly certain that the folks reporting a "$120k" scholarship are rounding for convenience and their actual package says something to the effect of: "full out of state tuition for six semesters..." Point being, I think for TLS purposes $120k = full tuition.
Nope. There are two different types of letters going out. Many $120k, and a good (but smaller) number of full tuition. I was awarded the former. That said, some who received the "full tuition" wording and saw all the $120k might have also rounded to $120k thinking the others who did so also had the full tuition wording.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:07 am

Lwoods wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

Nope. There are two different types of letters going out. Many $120k, and a good (but smaller) number of full tuition. I was awarded the former. That said, some who received the "full tuition" wording and saw all the $120k might have also rounded to $120k thinking the others who did so also had the full tuition wording.
Ms. Woods is correct. 120k is not full tuition and it explicitly states 120k. My only concern is that over the last few years, they've raised it a pretty solid clip. I just hope it doesn't continue to rise to the point where the scholly won't be nearly as appealing as it does right now.

miazdc

New

Post by miazdc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:15 pm

ash8309 wrote:I'm not sure why they interview some people and not others. I've heard that they 1) interview borderline candidates; 2) open interviews to all people applying from certain cities (I'm D.C.) or 3) interview people that they are interested in accepting, but just want the final face-to-face (which is kind of a different way to say reason #1).

Has anyone been interviewed and rejected or waitlisted?

Edit: Before my interview yesterday, I also spoke with their director of recruitment who told me that because of the job market, law firms are looking at factors outside of class rank when making offers (want folks with experience and interpersonal skills), and so that lets them (Indiana) look at factors outside of LSAT and GPA.

I interviewed yesterday in DC as well.

Number 2 can't be correct, since they only interviewed 40 people in DC (that was stated in the email we got) and I'm sure far more than that applied from the area. I think number 1 make sense because the people I've talked to had on-the-bubble numbers for IU (myself included). Unfortunately, I did some TLS/LSN stalking and it seems that a good number of people who were interviewed last year were eventually waitlisted. Even more frustrating is that a lot of them didn't find out about it until March. But...I'm doing my best to stay cautiously optimistic! Good luck!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 pm

I didnt even know IUB was doing interviews :(

How long after you apply do they call/email you to schedule one?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

miazdc

New

Post by miazdc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:49 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I didnt even know IUB was doing interviews :(

I'm pretty sure they only interview candidates from Chicago, DC, and Indianapolis. In DC, it was a one-day thing (which was yesterday), so they contacted everyone they wanted to interview at once. I applied in late november, but I think that's irrelevant.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm

miazdc wrote:

I'm pretty sure they only interview candidates from Chicago, DC, and Indianapolis. In DC, it was a one-day thing (which was yesterday), so they contacted everyone they wanted to interview at once. I applied in late november, but I think that's irrelevant.
Hmmm.... I live in DC. I hope thats not a bad sign.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:11 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
miazdc wrote:

What are you numbers if you don't mind me asking? Might help us determine if they are only interviewing borderline candidates.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 pm

ash8309 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
miazdc wrote:

What are you numbers if you don't mind me asking? Might help us determine if they are only interviewing borderline candidates.
167/2.44 URM. I know they've bitten on candidates with similar numbers, so Im hoping to get good news.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”