IU Bloomington Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RMstratosphere

Bronze

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Post by RMstratosphere » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:who is to say someone has strong softs? unless you win an oscar or a medal of honor, who is to say what one person reading your app will favor? #'s are #'s: they do something tangible for the school, and they aren't open to subjective opinion.
I've been through an application cycle and have researched how to get into law schools for over two years. I know what I'm talking about. To say that softs don't matter is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board.
Then keep reading.
AVBucks4239 wrote:Yes, numbers are numbers. They do matter a lot, but they aren't a guarantee of anything. If you are right at a school's medians, they aren't just going to say "Well, this kid has good numbers. Accept." They're going to review your entire application and make sure you are an active person and will bring a unique perspective to their law school. Trust me, plenty of people right at the medians are going to apply. Not all of them get accepted. Check out LawSchoolPredictor.com if you don't believe me. Hell, just to prove my point, I've already done this for you, and you only have a 68% chance of getting in if you're right at IU's medians.
AVBucks4239 wrote:
Having a 68% chance of admission does not imply that soft factors are dispositive.
AVBucks4239 wrote:More importantly, if you are slightly below a school's medians, your softs become a HUGE factor. Like I said, my LSAT is a little below Indiana's median and my GPA is right at it. How are they going to decide if me falling in their 25th percentile is worth admitting? By looking beyond my numbers--my personal statement, my resume, my letters of recommendation. My applications were entirely done last cycle (done with LSAT, graduated college, already have LOR's, etc.), but it still took me to October to perfect my personal statement as much as possible. Why? Cause it is what MAY get me into schools slightly above my numbers.
AVBucks4239 wrote:
This completely confuses admissions criteria. If you are slightly below a school's median, your softs are not thereby enhanced in significance. Raising your LSAT score to median will do more than any soft factor could. IU, as every other school, will decide if your falling near the 25th percentile "is worth admitting" by looking at the rest of their applicant pool. Not at your softs.
AVBucks4239 wrote:]And seriously, you came into this thread asking several questions. People (including myself) did their best to answer them as thoroughly as possible. Then you're going to sit there and tell us we don't know what we're talking about? Come on man.
AVBucks4239 wrote:
Respect for throwing the "C'mon man!" in at the end. I read that in Chris Berman voice.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:05 pm

I missed a call from a current student at IU-B... :( He left a really nice voicemail asking me if I had any questions. Anyone else get a call?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:50 pm

msch0i wrote:I missed a call from a current student at IU-B... :( He left a really nice voicemail asking me if I had any questions. Anyone else get a call?
I didn't

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Relax. I didn't say softs aren't important. Major RC fail. I just said who is to say what softs are important. Yale shows off about having a cocktail waitress from Vegas and FBI Agent, but not a paralegal. I believe that charitable things are universally going to be good, but who is to say what job is better to a given law school. I am sure some ADCOMS prefer legal experience, while others prefer artistic experience. Who knows?

I don't think my #'s in any way ensure I am locked into Indiana. I was merely saying, "who is to say what softs are better, if weren't talking about major awards or charitable involvement?"

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:16 am

RMstratosphere wrote: This completely confuses admissions criteria. If you are slightly below a school's median, your softs are not thereby enhanced in significance. Raising your LSAT score to median will do more than any soft factor could. IU, as every other school, will decide if your falling near the 25th percentile "is worth admitting" by looking at the rest of their applicant pool. Not at your softs.
Most of what I said comes from a student who is good friends with a student government representative who sits in on admissions meetings at a law school. He has told me numerous times that having good softs is more important for a person below the medians than it is for a person right at them.

With that said, you are right--the obvious best thing an applicant can do is retake the LSAT/raise GPA to get near a school's medians. I don't think anybody would argue that.
justadude55 wrote:Relax. I didn't say softs aren't important. Major RC fail. I just said who is to say what softs are important. Yale shows off about having a cocktail waitress from Vegas and FBI Agent, but not a paralegal. I believe that charitable things are universally going to be good, but who is to say what job is better to a given law school. I am sure some ADCOMS prefer legal experience, while others prefer artistic experience. Who knows?

I don't think my #'s in any way ensure I am locked into Indiana. I was merely saying, "who is to say what softs are better, if weren't talking about major awards or charitable involvement?"
I just skimmed over your comment and read it entirely the wrong way. I definitely see what you're saying with the "eye of the beholder" type argument. Some schools take huge pride in diversity (work and/or ethnic), while others simply try to get the best class possible.

Anyways...no need to argue. Good luck with re-taking the LSAT (if you do) and getting into IU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:26 pm

msch0i wrote:I missed a call from a current student at IU-B... :( He left a really nice voicemail asking me if I had any questions. Anyone else get a call?

I DID on 10/5! I picked up the phone and chatted a little bit with the current student. He was pretty cool and helpful. I think he may have sounded more nervous than I was, which was a relief, because I wasn't expecting a call so my on-the-spot questions were dumb (I asked him about stuff I already read on their website :cry: )
Basically he said he'd be my "student contact" through the admissions process and I could call him on his cell or email him with any future questions.
In the phone call, he said he'd also send me an email with more info, which I got today.

I'm so happy! This is my first real contact/news from a law school (status checker updates don't count). I'm hoping this is indicative of a good chance of getting in?
Crossing fingers.... :mrgreen:

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I think I am going to apply to IUb. What is everyone's feelings on their regional placement in the midwest?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I think I am going to apply to IUb. What is everyone's feelings on their regional placement in the midwest?
The student I talked to on the phone mentioned that behind Indiana, Chicago and DC are where most other students get placed. I'm not sure about how many of them who want to work in Chicago actually get placed in Chicago, considering UChicago, NU, Michigan, WUSTL and other tier 2, 3, 4 schools in Chicago compete for Chicago....

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Does IUB have a status checker? If so, how long does it typically take them to send out the relevant info?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:21 pm

lalalawya wrote:Does IUB have a status checker? If so, how long does it typically take them to send out the relevant info?
If so, I never got it. I don't remember but I think they just emailed me said they got everything and I'll get another email after theyve made up their mind.

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Barbie, how long after you submitted did you receive that e-mail? I just sent mine in beginning of this week, so I am guessing I still have some time before I receive confirmation from them...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:56 pm

lalalawya wrote:Barbie, how long after you submitted did you receive that e-mail? I just sent mine in beginning of this week, so I am guessing I still have some time before I receive confirmation from them...
I'd give it another week

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:04 pm

wildcathighfive wrote:
+1 to this. My dad is an IU-B law grad, so it's in my blood.
Same here! I'm guessing they don't have legacy admissions, though, right?

I'm nervous about not receiving a call from a current student; I wonder who gets those calls....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Lwoods wrote:
wildcathighfive wrote:
+1 to this. My dad is an IU-B law grad, so it's in my blood.
Same here! I'm guessing they don't have legacy admissions, though, right?

I'm nervous about not receiving a call from a current student; I wonder who gets those calls....
I'm sure being a legacy helps!

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 am

Bloomington is one of my top choices! I'm somewhat confused, however, after seeing that the median LSAT is 164 and the median GPA is 3.7.

I applied with a 159 and 3.571 GPA ( with Persian ethnicity and 1 year good WE) and law school predictor gave me a "Consider." My stats seem pretty far off from the medians...what's going on?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 am

Amir N wrote:Bloomington is one of my top choices! I'm somewhat confused, however, after seeing that the median LSAT is 164 and the median GPA is 3.7.

I applied with a 159 and 3.571 GPA ( with Persian ethnicity and 1 year good WE) and law school predictor gave me a "Consider." My stats seem pretty far off from the medians...what's going on?
Assuming the predictor is accurate, it looks like there's quite a gap between IU's 25th percentile (156, 3.26) and median (164, 3.7).

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Just sent my application in. Wicked excited!
Any ideas on when decisions start getting made?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:46 pm

ZachOda wrote:Just sent my application in. Wicked excited!
Any ideas on when decisions start getting made?
Mid-December
http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... er=asc&p=3

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:17 pm

I just applied ED to IU-Bloomington with a 164 and 3.1 from the University of Iowa. Has anyone else applied ED, and any advice on my chances of admission?

Also, has anyone applied at IU-Indy as a back-up? I really want to be in the Indianapolis area, so is this frowned upon?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

my guess is you're in with those numbers ED.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:33 pm

iowalum wrote:I just applied ED to IU-Bloomington with a 164 and 3.1 from the University of Iowa. Has anyone else applied ED, and any advice on my chances of admission?

Also, has anyone applied at IU-Indy as a back-up? I really want to be in the Indianapolis area, so is this frowned upon?
A current 3L at IU B told me its actually easier to work in Indy as a IU-Indy graduate than IU-B despite the difference in rank.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Does anyone know how well Indiana-Bloomington places in Kentucky, specifically Louisville?

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 pm

anyone receive an "app received" email recently? i haven't, i submitted last weekend.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:14 pm

wildcathighfive wrote:anyone receive an "app received" email recently? i haven't, i submitted last weekend.
Mine came just under a week after I submitted (submitted on a Tuesday, received the email on the following Monday).

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Amir N wrote:Does anyone know how well Indiana-Bloomington places in Kentucky, specifically Louisville?
my understanding is it's a mid-west school. kentucky is more southern. it's hard to find out information about specific regions. school percentages are misleading, because it's only where people wind up working. for example, there's a difference between 1% of the class working in kentucky and 80% of those who want to work in kentucky landing jobs (if only 1.2% wanted kentucky.) my advice would be to call top firms in kentucky, and ask what they'd think of an IU graduate applying. i've done this with firms, and they're pretty nice about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”