IU Bloomington Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Gold

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Post by Sandro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 pm

thats a good thing, right ?

tlabrum3

New

Post by tlabrum3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

For those who are admitted, I would say so. It means less crowded rooms, more personal contact with teachers, and (hopefully) better stats for the class as a whole. For those who are waiting, probably not so much.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:26 pm

tlabrum3 wrote:For those who are admitted, I would say so. It means less crowded rooms, more personal contact with teachers, and (hopefully) better stats for the class as a whole. For those who are waiting, probably not so much.
I think IUB is going for the coveted 1:1 Student:Faculty ratio.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:29 pm

@tlabrum3: Are you sure that Indiana-Bloomington is reducing its first year class size from 250 to 180 students ? A 28% class size reduction in one year seems quite drastic. Plus, I believe that IUB law has made more than 300 offers with scholarships of $120,000 or more already for the upcoming class. Even with an expected yield of less than 50%, Indiana has offered admission to a lot of applicants without offering huge scholarships.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 pm

tlabrum3 wrote:For those who are admitted, I would say so. It means less crowded rooms, more personal contact with teachers, and (hopefully) better stats for the class as a whole. For those who are waiting, probably not so much.
my guess is they are having a smaller class to have better employment statistics and to get an advantage in some of the categories for the rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@tlabrum3: Are you sure that Indiana-Bloomington is reducing its first year class size from 250 to 180 students ? A 28% class size reduction in one year seems quite drastic.
A professor told me they were going under 200 so its very likely

tlabrum3

New

Post by tlabrum3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@tlabrum3: Are you sure that Indiana-Bloomington is reducing its first year class size from 250 to 180 students ? A 28% class size reduction in one year seems quite drastic. Plus, I believe that IUB law has made more than 300 offers with scholarships of $120,000 or more already for the upcoming class. Even with an expected yield of less than 50%, Indiana has offered admission to a lot of applicants without offering huge scholarships.
That's what Dani Weatherford told me, and she is the Director of Recruitment so I imagine she knows her stuff. Where did you hear of 300 120k scholarships? That's sounds inaccurate.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Officially doing summer start now. Has anyone else committed to this?

stephan75th

New

Post by stephan75th » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Tied for 23

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mf980

New

Post by mf980 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 pm

stephan75th wrote:Tied for 23
With Notre Dame, University of California--Davis, and University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign.

I doubt that the big scholarships of this cycle played into this, but it does seem like the school is working its way up the rankings, which brings with it some bragging rights!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44 pm

mf980 wrote:
stephan75th wrote:Tied for 23
With Notre Dame, University of California--Davis, and University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign.

I doubt that the big scholarships of this cycle played into this, but it does seem like the school is working its way up the rankings, which brings with it some bragging rights!
Well, back up to #23... three years hovering around #25... I'd say they've established themselves in that range... kind of surprised. Everyone though the first 36 to 13 jump was a fluke. Guess not.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Full ride at IU is looking better and better.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Their application deadline is way late (August), maybe I'll give it a shot. Looks like a great school and B looks like an amazing city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 pm

TommyK wrote:
alexb wrote:I feel like IU is trying to pass up Notre Dame and be #1 in their state.
I'm sure they would like to, but the LSAT/GPA/Acceptance rate (i.e., selectivity components), which is clearly what they're making a strong push on counts as a quarter of the ranking score. While it will help the school climb in rankings, improving these stats at the margins probably won't make a HUGE difference, since the plurality of the ranking is drawn from peer assessments (academic faculty from other law schools) and practitioner assessments (judges and lawyers). I think Notre Dame will continue to have an edge. The Notre Dame network strikes me as a bit more intrinsically national than IUB. That being said, I would be happy to see it happen.
Ugh, TommyK is such an idiot.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm

TommyK wrote:
TommyK wrote:
alexb wrote:I feel like IU is trying to pass up Notre Dame and be #1 in their state.
I'm sure they would like to, but the LSAT/GPA/Acceptance rate (i.e., selectivity components), which is clearly what they're making a strong push on counts as a quarter of the ranking score. While it will help the school climb in rankings, improving these stats at the margins probably won't make a HUGE difference, since the plurality of the ranking is drawn from peer assessments (academic faculty from other law schools) and practitioner assessments (judges and lawyers). I think Notre Dame will continue to have an edge. The Notre Dame network strikes me as a bit more intrinsically national than IUB. That being said, I would be happy to see it happen.
EH, IU was tied with Notre Dame 2 years ago too... IU's ability to stay in the top 20s is whats impressive about this, not that its tied with ND. I mean, it historically has always ranked in the 30s-40s.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 pm

danquayle wrote:
TommyK wrote:
TommyK wrote:
EH, IU was tied with Notre Dame 2 years ago too... IU's ability to stay in the top 20s is whats impressive about this, not that its tied with ND. I mean, it historically has always ranked in the 30s-40s.
no doubt. I'm not a ranking whore, but that's fun news.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 am

TommyK wrote:
danquayle wrote:
TommyK wrote:
no doubt. I'm not a ranking whore, but that's fun news.[/quote]

Just think what their rank will be next year with less then 200 students in the class and all the scholarship money they are giving out to the high lsat applicant.

Now I can tell my family I'm going to a top 25 school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 am

beidoun wrote:
Now I can tell my family I'm going to a top 25 school.
This.
Since they know so little about law schools, this is all I need to tell them to get them off of my back about moving so far away.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 am

Yea... I know the rankings really don't matter but it makes me excited that I got an almost full ride to a top 25 school. Top 25 sounds much better than top 30 for some reason.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

stlisforlovers wrote:Yea... I know the rankings really don't matter but it makes me excited that I got an almost full ride to a top 25 school. Top 25 sounds much better than top 30 for some reason.
+1

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 am

if IUb jumped to 23 this year imagine what will happen with an entire LSN page of full ride off admits? C.R.E.A.M

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 am

stlisforlovers wrote:Yea... I know the rankings really don't matter but it makes me excited that I got an almost full ride to a top 25 school. Top 25 sounds much better than top 30 for some reason.
Yeah, maybe sports polls has something to do with it. Top 10, Top 25 seem like the most natural breaks in rankings. Definitely nice to say "Top 25" over "Top 30." That just sounds ..forced. Others receiving votes :D

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:14 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:
+1
I said top 30 with shame and now I can say top 25 with pride.

Top 25 just sounds better. You never hear top 30 rankings but top 25 rankings are everywhere.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 am

I also like that it is on the first page on the U.S. news website, the same can't be said for ND...

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:
+1
I've said it a hundred times, rankings matter if they're sustained. Year to year fluctuations are irrelevant, but trends matter. What makes US News powerful is that people actually buy into them. More people have considered IU ever since they cracked the top 30. That brings in better students, which eventually brings in better recruiters. You sustain that pattern for a decade and you'll establish a stronger alumni base and an accompanying stronger reputation. Reputation is all about the echo chamber.

As foolish as some people think it is, I think its far more foolish to think Indiana's sudden 3 year stay in the 20s after decades in the 30s doesn't mean something. IU still needs to sustain this effort for more years for it to really matter, but they're definitely doing some things right, and I can respect that.

Succinctly, IU's ranking in the top 25 for a year, a couple years or even 5 years don't make it a "top 25" school. But I think 10 years would.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”