IU Bloomington Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Post by Barbie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 pm

angiej wrote:
Barbie wrote:Trying to decide if I should apply! I've heard great things but I wonder if its throwing away money (auto-ding)
Are you worried about your #'s being too low or too high (yield protect)? Ask for a fee waiver. They waive them automatically if you've received an LSAC fee waiver.
too low!! I dont have an LSAC waiver. I've gotten merit-based from @ 80% of the schools I'm applying to, though. Do you think they would give me one?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Barbie wrote:
angiej wrote:
Barbie wrote:Trying to decide if I should apply! I've heard great things but I wonder if its throwing away money (auto-ding)
Are you worried about your #'s being too low or too high (yield protect)? Ask for a fee waiver. They waive them automatically if you've received an LSAC fee waiver.
too low!! I dont have an LSAC waiver. I've gotten merit-based from @ 80% of the schools I'm applying to, though. Do you think they would give me one?
Its certainly worth a quick email or phone call. You've got to throw some reaches in the mix . . .let this be one of them.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:13 pm

angiej wrote:
Barbie wrote:
angiej wrote:
Its certainly worth a quick email or phone call. You've got to throw some reaches in the mix . . .let this be one of them.

That's true! I just feel like all my schools are reaches haha. I don't want them to laugh at me :( I suppose I will send them an email though!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 pm

they approached me with a fee waiver with a nice video attached to it that made me feel good about myself. nice people :-)

and my #'s aren't that great YET. i'm right around their medians.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:49 pm

justadude55 wrote:they approached me with a fee waiver with a nice video attached to it that made me feel good about myself. nice people :-)

do you mind sharing with me your numbers and how you got the waiver? email?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 am

Barbie wrote:
justadude55 wrote:they approached me with a fee waiver with a nice video attached to it that made me feel good about myself. nice people :-)

3.6 167 (retaking--registered a month before the test the 1st time, and started studying only a couple weeks before the test [i thought i could approach it like the sat's] but pt is i realized it was worth some effort to do better after i heard how learnable it is.)

again, #'s don't mean i'm in. but they did say, i "have their attention, and students with my academic blah blah blah are in high demand by top law schools."

edit: fee waiver doesn't mean i'm in. maybe they can see LOR? or the fact i had multiple majors helped my gpa?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 am

justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

3.6 167 (retaking--registered a month before the test the 1st time, and started studying only a couple weeks before the test [i thought i could approach it like the sat's] but pt is i realized it was worth some effort to do better after i heard how learnable it is.)

again, #'s don't mean i'm in. but they did say, i "have their attention, and students with my academic blah blah blah are in high demand by top law schools."

edit: fee waiver doesn't mean i'm in. maybe they can see LOR? or the fact i had multiple majors helped my gpa?

no they cant see any of that but 167 is above their 75th percentile if I remember correctly...

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Barbie wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

no they cant see any of that but 167 is above their 75th percentile if I remember correctly...
maybe by a point or two. frankly, i don't understand their fuss over a point. it's a single question in that region, but i'll take it.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:18 pm

justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

maybe by a point or two. frankly, i don't understand their fuss over a point. it's a single question in that region, but i'll take it.
I don't even know what you're talking about. Also, above you say you're around their median but really your above their 75th percentile. You're ALL over the place here....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:23 pm

3.0 and 166.
Fee waiver received and application submitted.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:23 pm

fee waiver granted upon request today :) good thing! im sending out my apps this weekend

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Barbie wrote:fee waiver granted upon request today :) good thing! im sending out my apps this weekend
That's awesome! I'm glad you went for it - I think you have a shot, especially if your applying early.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Barbie wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I don't even know what you're talking about. Also, above you say you're around their median but really your above their 75th percentile. You're ALL over the place here....
i didnt look up their median in particular. i just guesstimated based on ranking. im not all over the place.

also does anyone know, if a school can accept you before your lsat retake?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:03 pm

angiej wrote:
Barbie wrote:fee waiver granted upon request today :) good thing! im sending out my apps this weekend
That's awesome! I'm glad you went for it - I think you have a shot, especially if your applying early.
Thanks! Sent my app in last night so I guess we will find out!!! :D

and just dude, typically when a school sees you are retaking, they will not evaluate your app until afterward.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:42 am

justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

i didnt look up their median in particular. i just guesstimated based on ranking. im not all over the place.

also does anyone know, if a school can accept you before your lsat retake?
On most applications, the school will have a question asking you if you plan on taking a future LSAT. Most of the time, if you indicate "yes," the law school will hold your application until they receive your next score.

You have something to weigh here, though. Your 167 is 3 points above IU's median (164). If you apply this early, you probably have a pretty good chance of getting in. However, if you believe that you can significantly increase your LSAT score, then you can take it again; BUT, there will be fewer seats available at the law school.

Anyways, I finished my application for Indiana last night. It is definitely a reach for me, as my LSAT is several points below their median. My GPA, however is right in the middle and I feel that the rest of my application is fairly strong. I also did not receive a confirmation email from them, which is a little annoying.

Oh well, good luck to all those who apply to IU!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote: On most applications, the school will have a question asking you if you plan on taking a future LSAT. Most of the time, if you indicate "yes," the law school will hold your application until they receive your next score.

You have something to weigh here, though. Your 167 is 3 points above IU's median (164). If you apply this early, you probably have a pretty good chance of getting in. However, if you believe that you can significantly increase your LSAT score, then you can take it again; BUT, there will be fewer seats available at the law school.

Anyways, I finished my application for Indiana last night. It is definitely a reach for me, as my LSAT is several points below their median. My GPA, however is right in the middle and I feel that the rest of my application is fairly strong. I also did not receive a confirmation email from them, which is a little annoying.

Oh well, good luck to all those who apply to IU!
I didn't get my email from them until a few days later, so I wouldn't worry. I am below their median (moreso in GPA) but have a LSAT @ the median. I have really strong softs, IMO, so I am curious to see how the cycle plays out for us (since you mentioned you have a strong application outside of #s)

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:46 pm

who is to say someone has strong softs? unless you win an oscar or a medal of honor, who is to say what one person reading your app will favor? #'s are #'s: they do something tangible for the school, and they aren't open to subjective opinion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 pm

justadude55 wrote:who is to say someone has strong softs? unless you win an oscar or a medal of honor, who is to say what one person reading your app will favor? #'s are #'s: they do something tangible for the school, and they aren't open to subjective opinion.

Well I would think that certain things on your resume would be considered "strong" no matter what school you're looking at. Experience at a law firm or in the DA's office is always going to be a major plus for any applicant.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:53 pm

ZachOda wrote:
justadude55 wrote:who is to say someone has strong softs? unless you win an oscar or a medal of honor, who is to say what one person reading your app will favor? #'s are #'s: they do something tangible for the school, and they aren't open to subjective opinion.

Well I would think that certain things on your resume would be considered "strong" no matter what school you're looking at. Experience at a law firm or in the DA's office is always going to be a major plus for any applicant.
Exactly. Justadude, IMO, you have no idea what you are talking about. I believe my softs are "strong" because I'm a published author including articles and a full length novel, have worked at a law firm, and have a pretty unique diversity that I would bet less than 1% of applicants have. And to attack your argument specifically, justadude... "who is to say"= obviously you think you are, and that is hilarious to think that your opinion matters more than the adcomms I have spoken with. #'s are #'s is an absolute joke as well, because while they are the primary indicator, they are not alone by any means. And YES YOUR APPLICATION IS open to subjective opinion. Resume, personal statement, diversity statement, and LORs all contain matter that will sway an opinion from an adcomm.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Barbie wrote:
ZachOda wrote:

Exactly. Justadude, IMO, you have no idea what you are talking about. I believe my softs are "strong" because I'm a published author including articles and a full length novel, have worked at a law firm, and have a pretty unique diversity that I would bet less than 1% of applicants have. And to attack your argument specifically, justadude... "who is to say"= obviously you think you are, and that is hilarious to think that your opinion matters more than the adcomms I have spoken with. #'s are #'s is an absolute joke as well, because while they are the primary indicator, they are not alone by any means. And YES YOUR APPLICATION IS open to subjective opinion. Resume, personal statement, diversity statement, and LORs all contain matter that will sway an opinion from an adcomm.

Honestly, that sounds like a strong soft to me... ha

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 pm

There are two types of "softs".

The first are extraordinary, life altering, universe shaping events. You cured cancer. You are a Nobel Laureate. You have been to the moon. You are the UFC's undisputed light heavyweight champion. These types of softs will get you into a school you otherwise wouldn't be accept to or money from a school you otherwise wouldn't see $ from.

The second type of soft, like being a published author, working for a law firm, or being a really sweet dude matter at the margins. To say that they aren't helpful is false. To say that they will get you into a school that you otherwise wouldn't get into, is probably false.

Your LSAT score and your UG GPA are the prime factors for your law school acceptance, in that order. All else, except the first category of softs, is generally only significant at the margins.

None of that is any reason to feel less accomplished or proud of your extracurricular achievements. Being a published author is an impressive accomplishment in its own right. But, it probably won't be a large factor in your law school acceptance.

Edited for grammar.
Last edited by RMstratosphere on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Barbie is the shit. Beyond her softs, she has about as compelling of a GPA addendum as you can get. Just FYI. :)

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Marionberry wrote:Barbie is the shit. Beyond her softs, she has about as compelling of a GPA addendum as you can get. Just FYI. :)

aww <3
I don't think being an author or working @ a law firm are big softs. I think the biggest one I'm working with is the diversity thing, if it is to be called a "soft" is debatable, but I'm not a URM so not sure what else it would be refered to as...

and I'm speaking on the terms more of a borderline candidate. I think softs are what make or break these people, who already have mediocre numbers... (plus some schools are known to be more lenient with softs than others)

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Barbie wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Barbie is the shit. Beyond her softs, she has about as compelling of a GPA addendum as you can get. Just FYI. :)

aww <3
I don't think being an author or working @ a law firm are big softs. I think the biggest one I'm working with is the diversity thing, if it is to be called a "soft" is debatable, but I'm not a URM so not sure what else it would be refered to as...

and I'm speaking on the terms more of a borderline candidate. I think softs are what make or break these people, who already have mediocre numbers... (plus some schools are known to be more lenient with softs than others)
I think that's an accurate assessment of things. I would view your URM status as a numbers affecting circumstance rather than a soft. It changes the goal posts for your numbers rather than supplementing them with qualitative achievements.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:40 pm

I've been through an application cycle and have researched how to get into law schools for over two years. I know what I'm talking about. To say that softs don't matter is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board.

Yes, numbers are numbers. They do matter a lot, but they aren't a guarantee of anything. If you are right at a school's medians, they aren't just going to say "Well, this kid has good numbers. Accept." They're going to review your entire application and make sure you are an active person and will bring a unique perspective to their law school. Trust me, plenty of people right at the medians are going to apply. Not all of them get accepted. Check out LawSchoolPredictor.com if you don't believe me. Hell, just to prove my point, I've already done this for you, and you only have a 68% chance of getting in if you're right at IU's medians.

More importantly, if you are slightly below a school's medians, your softs become a HUGE factor. Like I said, my LSAT is a little below Indiana's median and my GPA is right at it. How are they going to decide if me falling in their 25th percentile is worth admitting? By looking beyond my numbers--my personal statement, my resume, my letters of recommendation. My applications were entirely done last cycle (done with LSAT, graduated college, already have LOR's, etc.), but it still took me to October to perfect my personal statement as much as possible. Why? Cause it is what MAY get me into schools slightly above my numbers.

And seriously, you came into this thread asking several questions. People (including myself) did their best to answer them as thoroughly as possible. Then you're going to sit there and tell us we don't know what we're talking about? Come on man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”