SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Capitol A wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Just to add something, that relaxed pace has benefits too. Kal and I have not a single "gunner" in our section. Not one of our teachers has ever humiliated a student or been mean with the Socratic Method. And, for the first six or eight weeks of the fall semester, I had free time every night because they were easing us into the routine.

I like the the idea of 'easing into the routine.' It will also be nice for me to be the only gunner in my section.

I think there are plenty of people that study very hard and have read all the books about exams and taken TLS advice to heart.

By "gunner", he means raising their hand to the point of popping it out joint, posing random stupid hypos, and arguing with teachers.

Longhorn88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Part of your student fees cover tickets. Just bring your student ID.

Thanks for the replies, another random question: does it seem like SMU law students seem to cluster when it comes to finding a place to live? If so, what neighborhoods or complexes?

It varies a bit, since Dallas is so spread out. Also depends on your budget. Right near the school is expensive. Probably the most popular place is Uptown, but plan on $1400 - $1600 a month in rent. The Village is a big complex a few miles away from school which is much more affordable. Think $750 - $1100.

I have a house way away from the school, so I'm not entirely sure where the young'uns hang out these days.

ebo

Postby ebo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 pm

chrisokc and Kalvano- I'm assuming you are both 1Ls. If so, what types of jobs are SMU 1Ls considering for this upcoming summer?

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:40 pm

ebo wrote:chrisokc and Kalvano- I'm assuming you are both 1Ls. If so, what types of jobs are SMU 1Ls considering for this upcoming summer?

+1

Also, can anyone provide some info on SMU and scholarships?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:41 pm

By "gunner", he means raising their hand to the point of popping it out joint, posing random stupid hypos, and arguing with teachers.

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. How else will I make it obvious to everyone else in class that I am so much smarter than they are?

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 pm

ebo wrote:chrisokc and Kalvano- I'm assuming you are both 1Ls. If so, what types of jobs are SMU 1Ls considering for this upcoming summer?

The 2Ls have stressed to us that nobody should expect (or really even spend much time attempting) to get a paid position for 1L summer. We have been told that maybe three people from 1L might find something paid, and then only those with the highest GPAs. The 2Ls to whom I've spoken have done a wide variety of things for 1L. A lot of people work for judges at all levels. People are also sending resumes to the local DA's offices. The main thing that we've been told is to just find something in the legal field that we can discuss at future interviews.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:58 pm

SrLaw wrote:

+1

Also, can anyone provide some info on SMU and scholarships?

The Dallas office of the US Attorney's Office just posted for interns in the Criminal Division, which I really, really want to do. There are internships available in the Plano office as well. The Dallas DA has some openings, as does the PD's office. Legal Aid, internships with firms...there are many options out there. Very, very few paid ones for 1L, though. But there seems to be plenty of stuff to do. I'm hoping to split my summer with a judge and the USAO, and do my public service hours with Legal Aid or the DA's office.

What about scholarships? 164 or so seems to be the magic number. They are generous. Keeping it requires remaining in good standing, not a specific GPA.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Is 164 really the magic number or is that just derived from a glance at last yrs lsn And seeing who got what?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:Is 164 really the magic number or is that just derived from a glance at last yrs lsn And seeing who got what?

Yes, 164 is the magic number as far as LSAT goes. At least it was last year. They may try to raise it some this year.

ebo

Postby ebo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info. Here's hoping for a decision this time tomorrow...

simontemplar

Postby simontemplar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:21 pm

ebo wrote:Thanks for the info. Here's hoping for a decision this time tomorrow...

+1 good luck everyone

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

how generous is SMU with scholarships usually?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:10 pm

Sandro wrote:how generous is SMU with scholarships usually?

Very. But their initial offer is their offer. They don't negotiate.

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 am

well smu, within the next 17 hours i should think you owe us some news

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 am

swiftwings88 wrote:well smu, within the next 17 hours i should think you owe us some news

I concur. I'm harboring under the "no news is good news" since I have had no movement on my checker... still at 10/11/10 App Complete.

But what kalvano said about the admin being relaxed/slow actually made me feel better. Reminds me of when I lived in New Orleans. The bus drivers would stop the bus to go into convenience stores or Dunkin Donuts and just leave the passengers sitting there. There was really not any sort of "bus schedule," but they would eventually come. That's what I'm hoping for with this news.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 am

I've waited patiently this long. If they decided to mail them exclusively instead of calling....well....I guess I'll wait some more.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 am

maqkitty214 wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:well smu, within the next 17 hours i should think you owe us some news

I concur. I'm harboring under the "no news is good news" since I have had no movement on my checker... still at 10/11/10 App Complete.

But what kalvano said about the admin being relaxed/slow actually made me feel better. Reminds me of when I lived in New Orleans. The bus drivers would stop the bus to go into convenience stores or Dunkin Donuts and just leave the passengers sitting there. There was really not any sort of "bus schedule," but they would eventually come. That's what I'm hoping for with this news.

That's pretty funny. Reminds me of Durango, CO. I was having some furniture repaired, and I couldn't reach the guy for like 2 months after he was supposed to be done fixing my chair. When he finally called me back he said, "oh yeah, sorry 'bout that. my brother and I went up fishing, and we were having a good time so we just decided to camp for a while."
Maybe SMU adcomms just got caught up on a longer than originally planned fishing trip.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am

Capitol A wrote:
maqkitty214 wrote:

That's pretty funny. Reminds me of Durango, CO. I was having some furniture repaired, and I couldn't reach the guy for like 2 months after he was supposed to be done fixing my chair. When he finally called me back he said, "oh yeah, sorry 'bout that. my brother and I went up fishing, and we were having a good time so we just decided to camp for a while."
Maybe SMU adcomms just got caught up on a longer than originally planned fishing trip.

They better hurry, there's a big storm coming in town tonight. The wonderful thing about Texas in the winter is that even the threat of snow is enough to send people running. I remember a couple years ago having a snow day called preemptively b/c there was a strong chance of snow the next day. It never snowed.

ebo

Postby ebo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:I've waited patiently this long. If they decided to mail them exclusively instead of calling....well....I guess I'll wait some more.

When I met with one of the admissions reps, they told me we'd know something by the end of January and to call if I hadn't heard anything. 15 hours...clock is ticking

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 am

Oh yeah, the "snow storms" in Texas which net like 2-3 inches. They are predicting a "blizzard" up here in Chicago, but I've never had school or work cancelled because of winter weather. Sucks. I miss snow days. :(

I hope they get decisions out before the city of Dallas completely shuts down.

byronmullens

Postby byronmullens » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am

maqkitty214 wrote:Oh yeah, the "snow storms" in Texas which net like 2-3 inches. They are predicting a "blizzard" up here in Chicago, but I've never had school or work cancelled because of winter weather. Sucks. I miss snow days. :(

Uh they are predicting blizzard conditions only 100 miles north of the Metroplex, so this one could really hold up the process a few days. A major ice storm is likely.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

Has anyone else already looked at your status checker 2 or 3 times this morning?
If you haven't, don't bother. Mine hasn't changed from "Complete 1/28"

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 am

byronmullens wrote:
maqkitty214 wrote:Oh yeah, the "snow storms" in Texas which net like 2-3 inches. They are predicting a "blizzard" up here in Chicago, but I've never had school or work cancelled because of winter weather. Sucks. I miss snow days. :(

Uh they are predicting blizzard conditions only 100 miles north of the Metroplex, so this one could really hold up the process a few days. A major ice storm is likely.

A blue northern coming in to town, law school acceptances trying to get out. It sounds like...

dun dun dun

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am

byronmullens wrote:

well thats not supposed to really hit till tues, so they won;t have an excuse. and even if it did, some of us have been waiting for months

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 am

I just called right now and the admissions person told me decisions are going out today and to keep an eye on your status checker. I asked if we get decisions over the phone and she said to check my status checker.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am

osalinas44 wrote:I just called right now and the admissions person told me decisions are going out today and to keep an eye on your status checker. I asked if we get decisions over the phone and she said to check my status checker.

Great. There goes any chance at a productive day at work.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”