SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jackson Pollock

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Jackson Pollock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 am

simontemplar wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
ebo wrote:Hey, can you guys take your internet pissing contest somewhere else?

Thanks,

ebo

Thank you ebo. Someone had to say it.

+2

+3.

It's getting to be all "Days of Our Lives" up in here.

jarv1506

Postby jarv1506 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 am

simontemplar wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

Thanks,

ebo

+2

+3

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:10 am

jarv1506 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

Thanks,

ebo

+2

+3

+4 -- I keep on checking because I want to know if that LSN guy in Alaska really did get in / how he heard.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:11 am

Longhorn88 wrote:Just got a call!

From my mom, she was wondering what time I was going to be getting in tonight. Going back to Dallas for the weekend.

:shock: Definitely got me with this one.
I wish there was a way to "flag as innappropriate" on these comments, I would definitely have done that to yours :P
Actually, I'm just jealous, because I thought of making similar posts before, but didn't have the guts to do that to everyone.

simontemplar

Postby simontemplar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 am

Not to revisit anything, but I thought this might be helpful to anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to visit the campus:

http://smu.edu/tour/index.htm#

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45 am

simontemplar wrote:Not to revisit anything, but I thought this might be helpful to anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to visit the campus:

You know, just to clarify things...I previously posted something to the effect of not being that impressed by the campus...I did not mean to imply anything negative about the campus. It's just that the photos make it look absolutely amazing, and it is nice. It's just didn't blow me away the way I expected it to.
There is really no arguement about the surrounding neigborhood. It is honestly the nicest neighborhood I have ever driven through, and there is great food and great shopping within walking distance of the law school. Not sure about affordable housing, but I don't think its that far to the 'M streets' or uptown areas which are both really cool, and not near as pricey.
As far as the facilities being old...Many top law schools are extremely old. I just visited one that was founded in the 1700s. There is a difference between old and dumpy. I have heard stories of South Carolina having their windows held together by duct tape in their classrooms. I don't know if that's true or not, but you will not see anything like that at SMU (at least no that I know of). My point is, old does not mean falling apart. Sure SMU is old, but it's old in a way that gives it character, not in a way that give you lead poisoning.

Edit: My view of the campus may have been effected by the fact that I live in a very dry climate, and on the day I was there I think it was about 110% humidity. Not comfortable. Of course the school has AC, but outdoors, it was nasty.

simontemplar

Postby simontemplar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 am

Capitol A wrote:
simontemplar wrote:Not to revisit anything, but I thought this might be helpful to anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to visit the campus:

You know, just to clarify things...I previously posted something to the effect of not being that impressed by the campus...I did not mean to imply anything negative about the campus. It's just that the photos make it look absolutely amazing, and it is nice. It's just didn't blow me away the way I expected it to.
There is really no arguement about the surrounding neigborhood. It is honestly the nicest neighborhood I have ever driven through, and there is great food and great shopping within walking distance of the law school. Not sure about affordable housing, but I don't think its that far to the 'M streets' or uptown areas which are both really cool, and not near as pricey.
As far as the facilities being old...Many top law schools are extremely old. I just visited one that was founded in the 1700s. There is a difference between old and dumpy. I have heard stories of South Carolina having their windows held together by duct tape in their classrooms. I don't know if that's true or not, but you will not see anything like that at SMU (at least no that I know of). My point is, old does not mean falling apart. Sure SMU is old, but it's old in a way that gives it character, not in a way that give you lead poisoning.

Edit: My view of the campus may have been effected by the fact that I live in a very dry climate, and on the day I was there I think it was about 110% humidity. Not comfortable. Of course the school has AC, but outdoors, it was nasty.

I was thinking about what you said about how nice the surrounding area is. Is anyone else determined to try to actually have a life in law school, or is it just me? Can it be done?

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:10 pm

bergg007 wrote:
As the guy you were referring to I feel I have a need to defend myself. I feel that the state of the buildings in the law school tell something about the school itself. It's not the #1 reason I consider in looking for a Law School but it holds a place for that reason. If a Law school has good Facilities it shows that the school cares a lot about its student's experience at the school. You are going to spend a lot of time on campus and if you hate it there you will have a bad experience.

bergg007 wrote: When I applied SMU was my number one. Then they made me wait.

Then I saw the campus.

Then I visited Dallas in general.

They have really fallen down my list.

The Law school campus is really unimpressive. I was sorely disappointed because the brochures looked so good. It's small and old. Not to sound like a cocky a-hole I don't think I'll go there unless they throw tons of cash at me. Right now i'm strongly leaning towards Bama(who did throw gobs of money my way, unexpectedly).

bergg007 wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty open. I only applied to schools that i'd be willing to work in their region. So I'd be perfectly willing to work in Alabama if I go to school there. Ideally i'd go back to California but I gave up on that dream a while ago.

My wife is from Dallas so she likes SMU but even she is pushing for UA now

I prefer to lurk and I don't normally get involved in this stuff.

However, I just want to get this straight. The quality of the facilities at SMU are a factor that concern you as some kind of indicator of quality of life yet you are perfectly fine living and working in Alabama with its notoriously corrupt state government, crumbling infrastructure, inferior public education system, consistently higher than average unemployment and lax regulatory environment?

Like you, I grew up in California. I also lived in Alabama for four years (two different times in two different "major" cities). Your position here is somewhat surprising to me.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:19 pm

simontemplar wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

I was thinking about what you said about how nice the surrounding area is. Is anyone else determined to try to actually have a life in law school, or is it just me? Can it be done?

I will absolutely have a life while in law school. I am comitted to making academics my #1 priority, and I know that 1L grades are critically important. I also know that 1L is extremely time consuming. All that being said, I have spoken to number of law students who treat school as if it's a full time job. They tell me that including time in class, they spend about 50-60hrs/week on school (this includes the weekend) and more time during finals. This is a big comittment, but 60hrs/week is not enough to make encompass your entire life. If you put in 10hrs/day during the week, and 5hrs/day on Saturday and Sunday, that leaves enough time to workout every day, eat dinner with your family (if you have one), go to football games on Saturday, and even have some time to sit around and relax on Sunday. Now, if you go to bar review on Thursday night, and you stay out until 4 on Fri and Sat, that could make life harder than it needs to be. And I don't think you should expect to have tons of time to sleep in and and play xbox, but having a decent quality of life...Totally realistic.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:22 pm

*popping popcorn

Round 2?

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 pm

I am the LSN guy with the stated acceptance from SMU.

1. I am not from Alaska
2. I have had so many problems logging in with LSN that I updated that preemptively assuming that I was in.

My bad, good luck to everyone on Monday.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:43 pm

SrLaw wrote:I am the LSN guy with the stated acceptance from SMU.

1. I am not from Alaska
2. I have had so many problems logging in with LSN that I updated that preemptively assuming that I was in.

Awesome. Nothing like technological mishap to create widespread speculation. I love it.

simontemplar

Postby simontemplar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:52 pm

Capitol A wrote:

1. I am not from Alaska

Awesome. Nothing like technological mishap to create widespread speculation. I love it.

lol false alarm? :D

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BlueBlazer/jd

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:04 pm

simontemplar wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

1. I am not from Alaska

lol false alarm? :D

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BlueBlazer/jd

Looks like a false alarm. If the rest of the profile is accurate, I think I would be going for W&L if I was this guy.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:04 pm

simontemplar wrote:I was thinking about what you said about how nice the surrounding area is. Is anyone else determined to try to actually have a life in law school, or is it just me? Can it be done?

It's very possible.

Also, whether a classroom needs paint or not won't really matter when you fall asleep in class after the 393rd definition of "battery".

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:12 pm

kalvano wrote:
simontemplar wrote:I was thinking about what you said about how nice the surrounding area is. Is anyone else determined to try to actually have a life in law school, or is it just me? Can it be done?

It's very possible.

Also, whether a classroom needs paint or not won't really matter when you fall asleep in class after the 393rd definition of "battery".

Kalvano, would you say 50-60hr/week during non-finals times is an accurate estimate of time requirement?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Capitol A wrote:Kalvano, would you say 50-60hr/week during non-finals times is an accurate estimate of time requirement?

Sometimes more, sometimes less. It depends on how fast you read (and I mean actually read, not skim) and what else is going on. The first semester of LRW is a bitch, there is always something due. Anywhere from 45-60 hours is probably about right. In the end, whatever it takes to know the law and be able to talk about it. I know that's a crappy, cliched answer, but it varies. Torts, I barely spent any time on. Property kicked in the gut on a weekly basis.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm

bartleby wrote:But you do sound like a dick. First with the age "attack" and then the grammer chek LOL action.

Sorry. My b.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Kalvano, would you say 50-60hr/week during non-finals times is an accurate estimate of time requirement?

Sometimes more, sometimes less. It depends on how fast you read (and I mean actually read, not skim) and what else is going on. The first semester of LRW is a bitch, there is always something due. Anywhere from 45-60 hours is probably about right. In the end, whatever it takes to know the law and be able to talk about it. I know that's a crappy, cliched answer, but it varies. Torts, I barely spent any time on. Property kicked in the gut on a weekly basis.

Thank you. That is a cliched answer, but it sounds like your short answer would be 'yes, if.' Honestly I don't think 60hrs/week is too much, as long as you go into it knowing that's what it's going to take, and you are committed to doing your best.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:28 pm

So is it the common wisdom that those who's status updated to 1/28 will hear back monday?

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Last edited by Longhorn88 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:How do tickets work for students? Are law students grouped differently?

Tickets for what?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:42 pm

plug1 wrote:So is it the common wisdom that those who's status updated to 1/28 will hear back monday?

I would say if you're EA, you'll be hearing back Monday. They say end of January, so that's monday night by 11:59PM.

ebo

Postby ebo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Chill brohan,

Longhorn88 wrote:Whoa there cowboy,

Enough.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:04 pm

kalvano wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:How do tickets work for students? Are law students grouped differently?

Tickets for what?

Fixed, one track mind.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”