SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Iconoclast

Bronze

Re: SMU 2011

Post by Iconoclast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Capitalist wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:I'd assume if you get held, the best case scenario is WL?
Sounds about right.
Actually, it's a little better than that. In the early decision section of SMU's "How to apply" page it states, "If your application is held for further review, it will be reconsidered with regular decision applications."

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I guess they aren't following the same pattern as last year? Interesting.
F. don't string this thing out SMU.

HA HA. That's what they do best.

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Also held for further review:(
End of the alphabet.

swiftwings88

New

Post by swiftwings88 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:39 pm

my guess would be admissions calls tomorrow or monday. I don't know for sure but im gonna go out on a limb and say that this office doesn't work on saturdays

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Held..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm so excited for tomorrow! When I applied back in October, I thought this week would neverrrrrr come!

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm

I applied before the ED deadline, and was told I would be considered with ED. Thing is, I had two letters of rec sent to SMU several weeks later. Do yall think this will delay me to regular decision??

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 pm

simontemplar wrote:I applied before the ED deadline, and was told I would be considered with ED. Thing is, I had two letters of rec sent to SMU several weeks later. Do yall think this will delay me to regular decision??
After 11/15? That was the deadline for all supporting materials I think. Regardless, some RD people heard with the ED batch last cycle

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Yes. Darn it. lol We will see...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Is it too soon for a LOCI if held?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I'm so excited for tomorrow! When I applied back in October, I thought this week would neverrrrrr come!
and it never did.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:23 pm

bergg007 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I'm so excited for tomorrow! When I applied back in October, I thought this week would neverrrrrr come!
and it never did.
Are you one of the pessimists who think we will have to wait until Monday?

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:26 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
and it never did.
Are you one of the pessimists who think we will have to wait until Monday?
just might be....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Held for Further Review, but I didn't apply ED. Anybody know what's up with that?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:32 pm

I just can't think of a good reason for them making us wait this long in the first place. When I applied SMU was my number one. Then they made me wait.

Then I saw the campus.

Then I visited Dallas in general.

They have really fallen down my list.

The Law school campus is really unimpressive. I was sorely disappointed because the brochures looked so good. It's small and old. Not to sound like a cocky a-hole I don't think I'll go there unless they throw tons of cash at me. Right now i'm strongly leaning towards Bama(who did throw gobs of money my way, unexpectedly).

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:32 pm

bergg007 wrote:I just can't think of a good reason for them making us wait this long in the first place. When I applied SMU was my number one. Then they made me wait.

Then I saw the campus.

The Law school campus is really unimpressive. I was sorely disappointed because the brochures looked so good. It's small and old. Not to sound like a cocky a-hole I don't think I'll go there unless they throw tons of cash at me. Right now i'm strongly leaning towards Bama(who did throw gobs of money my way, unexpectedly).
Where do you want to practice?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:37 pm

ebo wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I just can't think of a good reason for them making us wait this long in the first place. When I applied SMU was my number one. Then they made me wait.

Then I saw the campus.

Where do you want to practice?

Honestly, I'm pretty open. I only applied to schools that i'd be willing to work in their region. So I'd be perfectly willing to work in Alabama if I go to school there. Ideally i'd go back to California but I gave up on that dream a while ago.

My wife is from Dallas so she likes SMU but even she is pushing for UA now

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm

bergg007 wrote:The Law school campus is really unimpressive. I was sorely disappointed because the brochures looked so good. It's small and old. Not to sound like a cocky a-hole I don't think I'll go there unless they throw tons of cash at me. Right now i'm strongly leaning towards Bama(who did throw gobs of money my way, unexpectedly).

I know it's a matter of opinion, but you are honestly the first person I've ever heard say the campus isn't nice looking.

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:46 pm

I was RD, too! On the upside, at least they did look at my application with the ED people...less fortunately, they decided I was moron :?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
bergg007 wrote:The Law school campus is really unimpressive. I was sorely disappointed because the brochures looked so good. It's small and old. Not to sound like a cocky a-hole I don't think I'll go there unless they throw tons of cash at me. Right now i'm strongly leaning towards Bama(who did throw gobs of money my way, unexpectedly).

I know it's a matter of opinion, but you are honestly the first person I've ever heard say the campus isn't nice looking.
Make me the second. I wasn't that impressed either.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

legalprincess wrote:I was RD, too! On the upside, at least they did look at my application with the ED people...less fortunately, they decided I was moron :?
I'm just assuming that they burst out into laughter when they looked at my file, so at least it's not a ding :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm

kalvano wrote:

There are parts of campus that are gorgeous, but the Law school facilities are unimpressive. The library is small. It is definitely charming on the outside but on the inside it feels clustered and old. I'm a fan of new spacious buildings. If you like old buildings, with the dust and the chipping paint and nasty carpet, then you'll love SMU. I was unimpressed

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Make me the second. I wasn't that impressed either.
thank you

maqkitty214

New

Post by maqkitty214 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:54 pm

kalvano wrote:

I spent a semester at SMU during undergrad, and the whole place is good looking. Usually the consensus from the city is that SMU is schmancy. I give the whole place a thumbs up for the on-campus Chick-fil-a. :D

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:55 pm

bergg007 wrote:There are parts of campus that are gorgeous, but the Law school facilities are unimpressive. The library is small. It is definitely charming on the outside but on the inside it feels clustered and old. I'm a fan of new spacious buildings. If you like old buildings, with the dust and the chipping paint and nasty carpet, then you'll love SMU. I was unimpressed

Did they only show you the private study rooms? The library is big. It has 4 floors to use.

And the main classrooms that you'll be in are huge.

Your statements confuse me. And I prefer new, spacious buildings as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”