SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Well... it was just wishful thinking really, didnt see it lol.


Haha- gotcha. Hopefully us ED folks will hear something by Friday- this three month wait has been painful, but it will all be worth it with an acceptance phone call!

SMUPonyGrad10
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby SMUPonyGrad10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 pm

My best friend was admitted PT ED last cycle (2010), and PTs are notified by phone call at the same time as FT admits. She didn't hear anything about scholly $$ for a month. Hopefully, they do not extend this agony through Monday!

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby maqkitty214 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I am glad I am not the only one reading the 2010 thread and postulating on what a date change on "App Complete" or "Decision Rendered" might mean. Mine still says "App Complete 10/11/10"

I'm shooting for part time (which is still a reach for me), but fingers crossed we'll get good news this week!

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Iconoclast » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:I am glad I am not the only one reading the 2010 thread and postulating on what a date change on "App Complete" or "Decision Rendered" might mean. Mine still says "App Complete 10/11/10"

I'm shooting for part time (which is still a reach for me), but fingers crossed we'll get good news this week!


Just a clarification about the "app complete" dates from last year. When they first go through and verify that your package is complete, you will change from app submitted to app complete. A couple days before phone calls started, people started seeing a change in the date next to "app complete." So that's what you're looking for (if the same pattern holds true)... a change from app complete (old date) to app complete (new date).

Here is a decsription of the process from last year's thread:

What happened to me, and what other people have reported as the normal sequence of events is:

1. When your file first goes complete, you get a complete date.

2. When a decision has been reached, your complete date changes and there is a message that says, You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Neither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.

3. Shortly after the complete date changes and the above message is displayed (it was less than 24 hours in my case) the status changes to Decision Rendered.

4. You receive either a phone call or letter with the decision.

People who were both accepted and rejected reported the same sequence. The difference was that people who got accepted received a phone call within a day or two of the change. People who were rejected received a letter.



Hope that helps.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Iconoclast,

Do you remember if all accepted students had their App Complete change on Tuesday, and then the less fortunate had theirs change on Wednesday? That's what I concluded from the 2010 thread, but I didn't know if there was a direct correlation between Tues-->Acceptance and Wed-->Denial/Hold.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Iconoclast » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm

ebo wrote:Iconoclast,

Do you remember if all accepted students had their App Complete change on Tuesday, and then the less fortunate had theirs change on Wednesday? That's what I concluded from the 2010 thread, but I didn't know if there was a direct correlation between Tues-->Acceptance and Wed-->Denial/Hold.


I was a regular decision applicant, so I didn't pay as close attention to the initial batch of acceptances for the ED people, but I believe that is correct. Maybe one of the early applicants who stalked the status changes more carefully can give you a more definite answer.

As with anything else though, even if that is what was reported here (and I think it was), we need to remember that we're still dealing with incomplete data, so there may be exceptions that we didn't see.

Good luck to all of you waiting for news. I feel your pain.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Iconoclast wrote:I was a regular decision applicant, so I didn't pay as close attention to the initial batch of acceptances for the ED people, but I believe that is correct. Maybe one of the early applicants who stalked the status changes more carefully can give you a more definite answer.

As with anything else though, even if that is what was reported here (and I think it was), we need to remember that we're still dealing with incomplete data, so there may be exceptions that we didn't see.

Good luck to all of you waiting for news. I feel your pain.


Thanks for the insight.

asuusa
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby asuusa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Does anyone know for sure about when scholarships come out? I've heard conflicting things, like it's on the phone, to a week or two later, to a month later. For me, it's come down to SMU and one other school, and I need to know their scholly offer so I can end this madness.

And good luck everybody- may you receive a pleasant phone call instead of a thin envelope.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm

asuusa wrote:Does anyone know for sure about when scholarships come out? I've heard conflicting things, like it's on the phone, to a week or two later, to a month later. For me, it's come down to SMU and one other school, and I need to know their scholly offer so I can end this madness.

And good luck everybody- may you receive a pleasant phone call instead of a thin envelope.


I saw conflicting things as well on the '10 thread. Some a few days after, some didnt hear until the end of Feb.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby brose » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Someone on LSN has a rejection already via status checker... here we go... :|

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Mce252 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm

brose wrote:Someone on LSN has a rejection already via status checker... here we go... :|



I'm quite sure that would be me. I was rejected via status checker. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby brose » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Mce252 wrote:
brose wrote:Someone on LSN has a rejection already via status checker... here we go... :|



I'm quite sure that would be me. I was rejected via status checker. Good luck everyone.


Sorry to hear... :(

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Sorry Mce.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Mce252 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm

francisConn wrote:Sorry Mce.


Much appreciated. The worst part is that the status checker just reads "denied". I didn't spend but a couple minutes on the "Why SMU" statement and I think I may have pissed someone off.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cartercl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:16 pm

No SMU for me... Damn this one sucks.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Mce252 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:17 pm

cartercl wrote:No SMU for me... Damn this one sucks.


Does yours just read "denied"? I'm really curious if that was specifically for me.

jdbarr06
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jdbarr06 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Mce252 wrote:
francisConn wrote:Sorry Mce.


Much appreciated. The worst part is that the status checker just reads "denied". I didn't spend but a couple minutes on the "Why SMU" statement and I think I may have pissed someone off.


Your GPA is good. If you don't mind me asking, was your LSAT score low?

Just wondering why you got rejected.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cartercl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Mce252 wrote:
cartercl wrote:No SMU for me... Damn this one sucks.


Does yours just read "denied"? I'm really curious if that was specifically for me.


Mine said the same thing. Good luck to everyone else. I'll try again after 1L.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:20 pm

I didn't do much with Why SMU either. SMU is prestigious yadda yadda, Dallas is great yadda.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Mce252 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:20 pm

jdbarr06 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
francisConn wrote:Sorry Mce.


Much appreciated. The worst part is that the status checker just reads "denied". I didn't spend but a couple minutes on the "Why SMU" statement and I think I may have pissed someone off.


Your GPA is good. If you don't mind me asking, was your LSAT score low?

Just wondering why you got rejected.


It was below their median. If you're at that or above, I would guess you should at least get held over.

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Albatross » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Damn, I'm rejected too. ~2.6, 162. Kind of expected it.

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bergg007 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:32 pm

hmmmmmm.... very interesting. I wonder if I'll get rejected soon because I integrated my why SMU into my PS.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm

I wonder if I'll get .... oh wait, no school wants to make a decision on my application ! :mrgreen:

mcnabb5
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:47 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby mcnabb5 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I wonder if I'll get .... oh wait, no school wants to make a decision on my application ! :mrgreen:


I'm in the same boat...applied to four schools in early Nov., haven't heard anything back yet.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 pm

After having been through finals, I just want to tell all of you who are considering (or will be considering) SMU that I cannot even begin to tell you how comforting it is to not have your scholarship dependent on some type of GPA cutoff. It should stay with you as long as you "remain in good standing."

I know it doesn't seem like much, but trust me, it's a huge, huge relief.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hogscienceavatarlost, musiclover123, potterotter and 20 guests