SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Just applied with a 3.65/166. Visited the campus last weekend and loved it, of course. SMU is definitely on the short list. Crossing my fingers...

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23864
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 pm

AP-375 wrote:Just applied with a 3.65/166. Visited the campus last weekend and loved it, of course. SMU is definitely on the short list. Crossing my fingers...


Good luck!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:48 pm

AP-375 wrote:Just applied with a 3.65/166. Visited the campus last weekend and loved it, of course. SMU is definitely on the short list. Crossing my fingers...



I can't imagine you won't get in. The only thing that might hurt is the later application.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Just applied with a 3.65/166. Visited the campus last weekend and loved it, of course. SMU is definitely on the short list. Crossing my fingers...



I can't imagine you won't get in. The only thing that might hurt is the later application.


And I took the LSAT... how shall I say this... more than once. Other than that, I have a really solid app.

Any thoughts on Dallas v. Houston for a business law career? They seem like similar huge markets with similarl dominant regional schools. I'm in at UofH, and wondering how I'll approach the decision if I get in (with money) at SMU.

User avatar
plug1
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby plug1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Sent my app out on 11/22 with a 3.4 / 165

do i have a good shot of getting in?

any shot at money?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 pm

AP-375 wrote:And I took the LSAT... how shall I say this... more than once. Other than that, I have a really solid app.

Any thoughts on Dallas v. Houston for a business law career? They seem like similar huge markets with similarl dominant regional schools. I'm in at UofH, and wondering how I'll approach the decision if I get in (with money) at SMU.


All things being equal, go to SMU over UH. UH law school is just a depressing looking place. The campus as a whole isn't pretty, the law school buildings look old and run down, and not in the "old and venerable" sense more in the "are you guys sure the buildings won't implode on us" sense.

Both cities have enormous legal and business communities who like to hire people who have ties to the state. Academically both schools give you solid employment prospects in their respective cities, so if you are set on practicing in Houston go to UH if you are set on practicing in Dallas go to SMU. If you don't really care, then I'd wait and see if you get in/get money from SMU. If you don't go to UH and if you do go to SMU.

UH notoriously doesn't give out money and they've raised tuition recently so even with a little bit of money from SMU, the price would be comparable.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm

plug1 wrote:Sent my app out on 11/22 with a 3.4 / 165

do i have a good shot of getting in?

any shot at money?

If you look at LSN, it doesn't appear as if anyone with a 3.0+ and a 165+ has gotten straight up rejected in the law 2 or 3 years. SMU loves high LSATs. If you applied early, I have a hard time believing you wouldn't get money.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 pm

fathergoose wrote:
plug1 wrote:Sent my app out on 11/22 with a 3.4 / 165

do i have a good shot of getting in?

any shot at money?

If you look at LSN, it doesn't appear as if anyone with a 3.0+ and a 165+ has gotten straight up rejected in the law 2 or 3 years. SMU loves high LSATs. If you applied early, I have a hard time believing you wouldn't get money.


Last year 19/24 applicants got admitted with GPAs ranging from 2.25-2.99 and LSAT in the 165+-169 range. Seems like If you are 165 and dont have a completely terrible GPA you got a good shot. Like me hopefully :lol:

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm

2 weeks! :mrgreen:

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby pokerlaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:2 weeks! :mrgreen:


Can't wait!

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm

pokerlaw wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:2 weeks! :mrgreen:


Can't wait!


Until what?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cartercl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:2 weeks! :mrgreen:


Can't wait!


Until what?


The day... D-day.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Mce252 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:59 pm

cartercl wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:2 weeks! :mrgreen:


Can't wait!


Until what?


The day... D-day.


Do a large number of applicants typically hear from SMU on the same day or is that just your predicted starting point for decisions being made?

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Do a large number of applicants typically hear from SMU on the same day or is that just your predicted starting point for decisions being made?


It's when they send out early action decisions.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Mce252 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:10 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Do a large number of applicants typically hear from SMU on the same day or is that just your predicted starting point for decisions being made?


It's when they send out early action decisions.



Haha... I obviously passed over a few details on their website.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Mce252 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Do a large number of applicants typically hear from SMU on the same day or is that just your predicted starting point for decisions being made?


It's when they send out early action decisions.



Haha... I obviously passed over a few details on their website.

It's ok, now you can be excited with us! :D

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby SrLaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:25 pm

is anyone else looking at SMU's JD/MBA program?

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

SrLaw wrote:is anyone else looking at SMU's JD/MBA program?

I really hated the few MBA classes I took (except the legal issues once, hence, why I'm here) but Cox has a great rep in the Dallas area. I don't think it would be a terrible idea, but I don't know that I've ever seen a job that requires both so I feel like it might be a bit of a waste of money.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:43 pm

SrLaw wrote:is anyone else looking at SMU's JD/MBA program?


I am. I was just about to post and see if anyone else can give any info. The only thing I know about it specifically is that it has a decent ranking (in the 50s or so), and there was an article on Above the Law about some idiot SMU JD/MBA who had his admission revoked.
But that story aside, I'm seriously considering it. Can anyone add to my knowledge about it?

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Capitol A » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:49 pm

AP-375 wrote:
SrLaw wrote:is anyone else looking at SMU's JD/MBA program?


I am. I was just about to post and see if anyone else can give any info. The only thing I know about it specifically is that it has a decent ranking (in the 50s or so), and there was an article on Above the Law about some idiot SMU JD/MBA who had his admission revoked.
But that story aside, I'm seriously considering it. Can anyone add to my knowledge about it?

I don't really have anything to add, but I will say that a considerable number of SMU JDs end up going into business anyway, so the extra education and the extra letters after your name certainly couldn't hurt. The question just has to be whether they help enough to make it worth the extra time and money.

k123456
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby k123456 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I just wanted to know if anyone who has applied ED has any changes to their application status. Should I be "under review" by now if I applied ED? Thanks for your help.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cartercl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:37 pm

k123456 wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered, but I just wanted to know if anyone who has applied ED has any changes to their application status. Should I be "under review" by now if I applied ED? Thanks for your help.


Nah... And I don't think we should expect any change before the decision is rendered.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bartleby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm

SMU is my top choice after hearing about UH's tuition hike. Ridiculous.

texasforever
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby texasforever » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 pm

bartleby wrote:SMU is my top choice after hearing about UH's tuition hike. Ridiculous.


I am from Houston originally but am currently a 1L at SMU. Let all of you be warned, if you want a real grasp of how hard the legal market has been hit in Dallas jump on NALP and look up the difference in the number of summer associates taken by the big firms.

Case in point: V&E took 51 summer associates in Houston, 19 in Dallas. Jones Day took 40+ in Houston, less than 5 in Dallas. Big law in Dallas is absolutely terrible right now. We are a T1 school but at this point it is taking top 4-5% of the class to even have a shot at a 2L OCI offer. All of my 2L friends are pretty much screwed seeing as how there were only 15 people who got offers from biglaw this past August out of the 300+ in the total class. That horror story in the Times that was written this past week is true. Even as great a school as SMU is, there are too many lawyers for too little work, if you are outside of the top half and your dad doesn't know anyone then you will be working as a legal temp or busing tables in three years. The pressure is definitely there, sadly grades are the only thing that matter to a firm with 100+ attorneys.

That being said, my 2L friend at Houston got offers from Jones Day, Fulbright, V&E, etc, and he is just outside of the top third of his class. Top third vs. top five percent is pretty self explanatory. I love Dallas and would much prefer to live here permanently but the market is driving me back to Houston for both 1L summer work and it looks like 2L work as well.

Something to keep in mind for all the biglaw gunners wanting to come to SMU.

User avatar
swiftwings88
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:42 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swiftwings88 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:16 am

texasforever wrote:
bartleby wrote:SMU is my top choice after hearing about UH's tuition hike. Ridiculous.


I am from Houston originally but am currently a 1L at SMU. Let all of you be warned, if you want a real grasp of how hard the legal market has been hit in Dallas jump on NALP and look up the difference in the number of summer associates taken by the big firms.

Case in point: V&E took 51 summer associates in Houston, 19 in Dallas. Jones Day took 40+ in Houston, less than 5 in Dallas. Big law in Dallas is absolutely terrible right now. We are a T1 school but at this point it is taking top 4-5% of the class to even have a shot at a 2L OCI offer. All of my 2L friends are pretty much screwed seeing as how there were only 15 people who got offers from biglaw this past August out of the 300+ in the total class. That horror story in the Times that was written this past week is true. Even as great a school as SMU is, there are too many lawyers for too little work, if you are outside of the top half and your dad doesn't know anyone then you will be working as a legal temp or busing tables in three years. The pressure is definitely there, sadly grades are the only thing that matter to a firm with 100+ attorneys.

That being said, my 2L friend at Houston got offers from Jones Day, Fulbright, V&E, etc, and he is just outside of the top third of his class. Top third vs. top five percent is pretty self explanatory. I love Dallas and would much prefer to live here permanently but the market is driving me back to Houston for both 1L summer work and it looks like 2L work as well.

Something to keep in mind for all the biglaw gunners wanting to come to SMU.


Houston Adcomm?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Anon.y.mousse., cd1945, cyclawps, Leahmealone and 20 guests