SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 pm

ebo wrote:How much work are you all putting in outside of class each week?

A good bit now that finals and the open memo are upon us. 8-10 hours a day Saturday and Sunday, and anywhere from 1-4 hours a night on weeknights, plus any free time at school is usually spent reading or researching. But I'm also pretty lucky in that I read and retain really well, so it doesn't take me as long to read my class assignments.

It's not really much different than a full-time job.

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:23 pm

kalvano wrote:

A good bit now that finals and the open memo are upon us. 8-10 hours a day Saturday and Sunday, and anywhere from 1-4 hours a night on weeknights, plus any free time at school is usually spent reading or researching. But I'm also pretty lucky in that I read and retain really well, so it doesn't take me as long to read my class assignments.

As a PTer, I can confirm that this sounds about right. I would add that LRWA takes nearly 50% of my time, almost as much as the other three classes combined.

I still have my FT job, and can't imagine having much more coursework and still continuing to work. I strive to complete all assignments for the entire coming week on the weekend prior, otherwise I can't guarantee I'll have time to complete Wed/Thurs assignments. The PTers without jobs probably have different strategies.

My job alternates between busy and not-busy. During those not-busy periods, I have time to do reading, proofing or researching LRWA, working on outlines, etc. Some classmates' jobs are not so forgiving and consequently they feel more pressed for time.

MichaelB123

Postby MichaelB123 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Thirteen wrote:

I probably put in ~ 40 hours outside of class each week. The workload is a lot, but it's manageable. I usually go out Friday nights and take Saturdays off to watch football, so I try not to b.s. during the week.

Wait... so no more heavy drinking during the week like in undergrad???

Holy shit, maybe I won't be able to handle this whole law school thing.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:02 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

I probably put in ~ 40 hours outside of class each week. The workload is a lot, but it's manageable. I usually go out Friday nights and take Saturdays off to watch football, so I try not to b.s. during the week.

It's possible, but I wouldn't do it during 1L year. There have been a few weekends where I went out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but I usually try to keep it to 1-2 nights a week.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:07 pm

kalvano wrote:

This actually doesn't sound that bad...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:14 pm

cartercl wrote:
kalvano wrote:

This actually doesn't sound that bad...

A lot will depend on how quickly you can read. If you don't read quickly, add 8-12 hours a week.

Note - by quickly, I don't mean skim it over and get a vague idea. It's important to read and understand it.

Other than that, no, it's not bad. I think people get overwhelmed because they have trouble assigning priorities and aren't used to academic work that is relentless. Most people get used to the undergrad thing of several small assignments, a big assignment, then the teacher gives you a break to recover. No breaks here. You're expected to keep up with a steady workload no matter what. If you're used to more XBOX time than study time, it will seem really difficult. If you've had a 50-70 hour a week job, it won't seem bad at all.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Thirteen wrote:
MichaelB123 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

It's possible, but I wouldn't do it during 1L year. There have been a few weekends where I went out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but I usually try to keep it to 1-2 nights a week.

Pay attention in class, sir

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:40 pm

I applied EA on 10/31, and then sent in my optional essay via postal and via email just to make sure it got in before the 11/15 deadline. They emailed me back saying that they would add my optional essay to my file, but my status checker hasn't been updated since I first went complete on 11/8. Does that mean they haven't added my optional essay to my file? Or am I just freaking out?

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:47 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:I applied EA on 10/31, and then sent in my optional essay via postal and via email just to make sure it got in before the 11/15 deadline. They emailed me back saying that they would add my optional essay to my file, but my status checker hasn't been updated since I first went complete on 11/8. Does that mean they haven't added my optional essay to my file? Or am I just freaking out?

they're just slow. haha. I did the same thing. Got the email saying they had it.

da87

Postby da87 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:05 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:I applied EA on 10/31, and then sent in my optional essay via postal and via email just to make sure it got in before the 11/15 deadline. They emailed me back saying that they would add my optional essay to my file, but my status checker hasn't been updated since I first went complete on 11/8. Does that mean they haven't added my optional essay to my file? Or am I just freaking out?

It will not show up on your status checker. If they sent you an e-mail then it is in your file.

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:59 am

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 am

eve2490 wrote:I am all set for SMU, just need to submit my motivations paragraph and I was wondering what you guys typically, and not so typically, mentioned as reasons for SMU in particular. Both regional, academically, and professionally. Please helpppp

Don't you have a reason for applying there? That's what you should write.
This thing is super short, so make it genuine. It doesn't need to be anything profound.

asuusa

Postby asuusa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:14 pm

I was honest about my desire to attend SMU and didn't make "high-falutin'" (that's a word, right?) grandstanding, sweeping statements or anything. Why do you want to go? Make sure they know.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:05 pm

C-USA west champs! Now they have free time to admit me right?

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 pm

If anyone gets in please post it here so we can have some idea of when they are sending decisions out. I know SMU takes a long time but damn they are ridiculous.

ads222

Postby ads222 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:02 pm

I've been complete for a month, but I got an email a week ago asking me to answer one of the C&F check-off boxes that I left blank (whoops). So while SMU is ridiculously slow... at least we can assume they're LOOKING at stuff... maybe. (I just looked at LSN and if last year is any indication, I might be withdrawing before decisions come out. Too impatient haha)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 pm

swiftwings88 wrote:If anyone gets in please post it here so we can have some idea of when they are sending decisions out. I know SMU takes a long time but damn they are ridiculous.

Don't expect anything until the end of January.

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 am

<163 = don't expect to hear anything until mid-April

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:46 am

kalvano wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:If anyone gets in please post it here so we can have some idea of when they are sending decisions out. I know SMU takes a long time but damn they are ridiculous.

Why do they take so long with the applications for Early Decision?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:51 am

swiftwings88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's like that every year.

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:04 am

Thirteen wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's like that every year.

Thanks. guess i'll just have to resign myself to waiting. They probably won't beat Baylor's scholarship offer to me anyway. In my financial situation I can't say no to that kind of money.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am

SMU has been slow to give decisions for decades.

Also, SMU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Baylor.

Baylor is awful.

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

kalvano wrote:SMU has been slow to give decisions for decades.

Also, SMU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Baylor.

Baylor is awful.

I get a lot of that on these forums. Why so awful? Most attendees and Baylor grads I've talked to report a challenging rewarding experience, and several lawyers I've talked to in litigation informed me in no uncertain terms that baylor grads are exceptionally well prepared for litigation.

I guess in order to keep this on topic I have to ask: let's say I receive comparable or slightly less money from SMU. Why should I choose SMU over Baylor? sell me.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Have you ever been to Waco? I grew up 40 miles away from there and it's reason enough to go to SMU.

On a serious note the people I have talked to about Baylor say it's a living hell, but I know many succesful lawyers that went there. This isn't big law I'm talking about though.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm

I always try to provide a defense for Baylor when this topic comes up, but I've done it toom any times and I don't care anymore. I'ts not bad depending on what you want to do, but it's not a good route to big or mid-law in any respectable city.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”