SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Albatross wrote:Hmm. Also, I just sent in my apps for Bama and SMU. Where is this status checker or ticker or whatever supposed to be for my application?


They emailed me when it was ready

User avatar
KAM
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby KAM » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Does anyone know about how many people apply early compared to the regular cycle?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 pm

KAM wrote:Does anyone know about how many people apply early compared to the regular cycle?



17.3467%.
























I have no idea, actually. Seemed like a late rush of applicants last year.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
KAM wrote:Does anyone know about how many people apply early compared to the regular cycle?

I have no idea, actually. Seemed like a late rush of applicants last year.


Are you suggesting there will be less this year due to the earlier deadline?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
KAM wrote:Does anyone know about how many people apply early compared to the regular cycle?

I have no idea, actually. Seemed like a late rush of applicants last year.


Are you suggesting there will be less this year due to the earlier deadline?



No. You can go find the thread last year. Seemed like a decent amount of people applied EA, then the biggest bulk applied mid-spring.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
KAM wrote:Does anyone know about how many people apply early compared to the regular cycle?

I have no idea, actually. Seemed like a late rush of applicants last year.


Are you suggesting there will be less this year due to the earlier deadline?



No. You can go find the thread last year. Seemed like a decent amount of people applied EA, then the biggest bulk applied mid-spring.


Gotcha. I would think that an earlier app deadline would decrease the number of apps though, but who knows

baileyb3
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:04 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby baileyb3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:51 pm

submitted my app yesterday with every optional essay possible. Now the wait. I am super nervous and can't imagine waiting so long to find out. I called today and they said decision was garunteed by 1/31. Hoping to be really happy on that day! Good luck everyone!

hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 am

What do you guys think my chances are with a 157 and 3.3 AA Female? SMU is my first choice! About to apply over the weekend

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

hopehope wrote:What do you guys think my chances are with a 157 and 3.3 AA Female? SMU is my first choice! About to apply over the weekend


Full time? I think you'll be in

bebe
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bebe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:05 am

does anyone know if smu takes the average lsat score or the highest score into consideration?lsac generated report gives average score on its report alongwith individual scores.whats the policy with smu?

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:08 am

bebe wrote:does anyone know if smu takes the average lsat score or the highest score into consideration?lsac generated report gives average score on its report alongwith individual scores.whats the policy with smu?

http://www.law.smu.edu/Prospective-Stud ... tions.aspx

Does SMU average multiple LSAT scores?
No. We use an applicant’s highest reported LSAT score for admissions and scholarship awarding purposes.

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Albatross » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:52 am

Application received at SMU. Does anyone know if the guaranteed answer by Jan. 31st could be waitlisted or if it is only Admit or Reject?

hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
hopehope wrote:What do you guys think my chances are with a 157 and 3.3 AA Female? SMU is my first choice! About to apply over the weekend


Full time? I think you'll be in


Thanks! Any chance of getting money or am I pushing my luck? If no money, do u think SMU is worth it at sticker?

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Albatross » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 am

hopehope wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
hopehope wrote:What do you guys think my chances are with a 157 and 3.3 AA Female? SMU is my first choice! About to apply over the weekend


Full time? I think you'll be in


Thanks! Any chance of getting money or am I pushing my luck? If no money, do u think SMU is worth it at sticker?


I don't know if you'll get scholly money or not, but I do know that the Dallas legal market is very rewarding for those who manage to get the top jobs.

Edit: So to indirectly answer your question, I would attend SMU at sticker given the chance.

hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Albatross wrote:Dallas legal market is very rewarding for those who manage to get the top jobs


Thats actually my appeal to Dallas....! My husband is in IT and Dallas is also good for IT so we think it would be good for the both of us.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Albatross wrote:Application received at SMU. Does anyone know if the guaranteed answer by Jan. 31st could be waitlisted or if it is only Admit or Reject?


I'm pretty sure they can hold your app for further review with the RD applications

cafloyd12
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cafloyd12 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:12 pm

ebo wrote:
Albatross wrote:Application received at SMU. Does anyone know if the guaranteed answer by Jan. 31st could be waitlisted or if it is only Admit or Reject?


I'm pretty sure they can hold your app for further review with the RD applications


Correct. I don't believe they waitlisted anyone until RD last year. If you're an EA applicant and you don't get admit or reject on Jan 31st, you will be held for further review.

Also, I'm currently a 1L here. So if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Albatross » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 am

cafloyd12 wrote:
ebo wrote:
Albatross wrote:Application received at SMU. Does anyone know if the guaranteed answer by Jan. 31st could be waitlisted or if it is only Admit or Reject?


I'm pretty sure they can hold your app for further review with the RD applications


Correct. I don't believe they waitlisted anyone until RD last year. If you're an EA applicant and you don't get admit or reject on Jan 31st, you will be held for further review.

Also, I'm currently a 1L here. So if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.


Do you have a summer job yet?

lawboy22
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lawboy22 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:38 am

does anyone think since they moved back the deadline for EA by a full month that they'll be making decisions earlier this year? I know from reading last years thread that most decisions didnt get sent until the week before the 31st deadline. It would certainly be nice to know sooner.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51 am

lawboy22 wrote:does anyone think since they moved back the deadline for EA by a full month that they'll be making decisions earlier this year? I know from reading last years thread that most decisions didnt get sent until the week before the 31st deadline. It would certainly be nice to know sooner.


I hope so, but the email they sent said we would hear something by Jan. 31st. So I would imagine it will be around then again this year

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23886
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51 am

Albatross wrote:Do you have a summer job yet?


We can't officially apply for positions until December 1, but I know a few people that have things "in the works."

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 pm

lawboy22 wrote:does anyone think since they moved back the deadline for EA by a full month that they'll be making decisions earlier this year? I know from reading last years thread that most decisions didnt get sent until the week before the 31st deadline. It would certainly be nice to know sooner.
i doubt it. i read through the whole thread for last year (bored at work) and it sounded like they took forever. maybe they're just trying to give themselves more time.

lawboy22
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lawboy22 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:11 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
lawboy22 wrote:does anyone think since they moved back the deadline for EA by a full month that they'll be making decisions earlier this year? I know from reading last years thread that most decisions didnt get sent until the week before the 31st deadline. It would certainly be nice to know sooner.
i doubt it. i read through the whole thread for last year (bored at work) and it sounded like they took forever. maybe they're just trying to give themselves more time.


I guess it's just wishful thinking. I'm too impatient and the end of January seems so far away.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Thirteen wrote:but I know a few people that have things "in the works."



Like what, an quick start on the soon-to-be-mandatory early bar prep courses?

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby pokerlaw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Finished my application this afternoon.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”