SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby sneijder » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 am

fathergoose wrote:
sneijder wrote:thanks bro!! GO ORANJE!! :D yea they're def my favorite international team (barring the USA of course) and sneijder is pure class! But I hope he doesnt end up at MAN U like people are saying.... :lol: but it seems like inter is going to sale him--for 35million Euros :roll:

I wouldn't put too much stock in transfer rumors. I don't think it's very likely that Inter lets him go. He's on contract for 3 more seasons with them.


very true, but when Sir Ferg and Man U are involved I don't rule anything out :lol:

lawboy22
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lawboy22 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Pony tracks now says to check back after July 8th for financial aid; looks like they just keep pushing the date back more and more.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Stan Eddy is a useless SOB.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:28 pm

lawboy22 wrote:Pony tracks now says to check back after July 8th for financial aid; looks like they just keep pushing the date back more and more.


Last time it went from June 15 to July 5, right? At least they're pushing it back in smaller increments now...maybe that means they're actually closer?

(Yeah, I know, I'm pulling at straws).

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:16 pm

swilson215 wrote:
lawboy22 wrote:Pony tracks now says to check back after July 8th for financial aid; looks like they just keep pushing the date back more and more.


Last time it went from June 15 to July 5, right? At least they're pushing it back in smaller increments now...maybe that means they're actually closer?

(Yeah, I know, I'm pulling at straws).

What are y'all trying to figure out about financial aid?

bebe
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bebe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:32 pm

do you think there is still chance for the waitlisters at this point...my application page is still active...are there others whose pages are still active and they r still hopeful?

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 pm

chrisokc wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
lawboy22 wrote:Pony tracks now says to check back after July 8th for financial aid; looks like they just keep pushing the date back more and more.


Last time it went from June 15 to July 5, right? At least they're pushing it back in smaller increments now...maybe that means they're actually closer?

(Yeah, I know, I'm pulling at straws).

What are y'all trying to figure out about financial aid?


Just waiting for award notifications.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm

bebe wrote:do you think there is still chance for the waitlisters at this point...my application page is still active...are there others whose pages are still active and they r still hopeful?

I'm still hopeful, but we'll see...

Are you FT or PT? I'm FT.

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby renee88 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:40 am

bebe wrote:do you think there is still chance for the waitlisters at this point...my application page is still active...are there others whose pages are still active and they r still hopeful?


I think there's a decent chance people will still be accepted. I doubt I will go regardless of what happens, but if you're willing to wait until August, I wouldn't lose hope.

bebe
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bebe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 am

thanks renee for reassuring post... what makes you think we have a decent chance?
flamingo ..i am both ft and pt

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby renee88 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:54 am

bebe wrote:thanks renee for reassuring post... what makes you think we have a decent chance?
flamingo ..i am both ft and pt


Well, when I called SMU they said they could accept people all the way up until the first day of classes. I don't know if they've done that in years past, but I know a lot of other schools do. I'm guessing they'll keep that option open for themselves until then because people may change their minds at the last minute. I'm sure there will be at least a few openings as currently admitted students get offered places at better schools or just change their minds about attending.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23931
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm

renee88 wrote:
bebe wrote:thanks renee for reassuring post... what makes you think we have a decent chance?
flamingo ..i am both ft and pt


Well, when I called SMU they said they could accept people all the way up until the first day of classes. I don't know if they've done that in years past, but I know a lot of other schools do. I'm guessing they'll keep that option open for themselves until then because people may change their minds at the last minute. I'm sure there will be at least a few openings as currently admitted students get offered places at better schools or just change their minds about attending.


I know of a girl that was admitted in mid-July, and another one that was admitted some time in August. Keep the faith!

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby nouseforaname123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:00 pm

There was a student in my PT class who was acccepted the week classes started (I think it might have been the day before classes started).

User avatar
asunshinee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby asunshinee » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:23 pm

ebo wrote:
asunshinee wrote:I plan on applying with a 3.55 (probably will be a 3.58 or 3.6 by the time I actually apply) and a 163. I thought this was solid for SMU but apparently not? Should I retake or should I just take my chances?

Retake, retake, retake. Both your GPA and LSAT are under SMU medians, so unless you're a URM, you need to retake. I had a lower GPA and a 166 and got 76k.

asunshinee wrote:My major GPA is a 3.9 if that makes any difference.

All that matters is your LSAC GPA



I've heard that if you don't think you can raise your LSAT score by 5 points.. then it looks bad. I would need to get a 168, which I've never gotten on a practice test before. Is that worth the risk of taking it and doing the same / a couple points better?

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23931
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:26 pm

asunshinee wrote:
ebo wrote:
asunshinee wrote:I plan on applying with a 3.55 (probably will be a 3.58 or 3.6 by the time I actually apply) and a 163. I thought this was solid for SMU but apparently not? Should I retake or should I just take my chances?

Retake, retake, retake. Both your GPA and LSAT are under SMU medians, so unless you're a URM, you need to retake. I had a lower GPA and a 166 and got 76k.

asunshinee wrote:My major GPA is a 3.9 if that makes any difference.

All that matters is your LSAC GPA



I've heard that if you don't think you can raise your LSAT score by 5 points.. then it looks bad. I would need to get a 168, which I've never gotten on a practice test before. Is that worth the risk of taking it and doing the same / a couple points better?


When I retook, my score dropped 5 points. I don't think it negatively affected my cycle.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:35 pm

asunshinee wrote:
ebo wrote:
asunshinee wrote:I plan on applying with a 3.55 (probably will be a 3.58 or 3.6 by the time I actually apply) and a 163. I thought this was solid for SMU but apparently not? Should I retake or should I just take my chances?

Retake, retake, retake. Both your GPA and LSAT are under SMU medians, so unless you're a URM, you need to retake. I had a lower GPA and a 166 and got 76k.

asunshinee wrote:My major GPA is a 3.9 if that makes any difference.

All that matters is your LSAC GPA



I've heard that if you don't think you can raise your LSAT score by 5 points.. then it looks bad. I would need to get a 168, which I've never gotten on a practice test before. Is that worth the risk of taking it and doing the same / a couple points better?


Yes, shoot for a 165+. I think 165 was the magic number for SMU this cycle

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby renee88 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:12 pm

asunshinee wrote:
ebo wrote:
asunshinee wrote:I plan on applying with a 3.55 (probably will be a 3.58 or 3.6 by the time I actually apply) and a 163. I thought this was solid for SMU but apparently not? Should I retake or should I just take my chances?

Retake, retake, retake. Both your GPA and LSAT are under SMU medians, so unless you're a URM, you need to retake. I had a lower GPA and a 166 and got 76k.

asunshinee wrote:My major GPA is a 3.9 if that makes any difference.

All that matters is your LSAC GPA



I've heard that if you don't think you can raise your LSAT score by 5 points.. then it looks bad. I would need to get a 168, which I've never gotten on a practice test before. Is that worth the risk of taking it and doing the same / a couple points better?


I wouldn't worry about needing to raise it 5 points. A score of, say, 166 is above their median and will help SMU raise its median- those things are what they're concerned with, in my opinion. They won't worry about the previous score, especially as it's their stated policy to only consider the highest score.

User avatar
asunshinee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby asunshinee » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:06 pm

renee88 wrote:
asunshinee wrote:
ebo wrote:
asunshinee wrote:I plan on applying with a 3.55 (probably will be a 3.58 or 3.6 by the time I actually apply) and a 163. I thought this was solid for SMU but apparently not? Should I retake or should I just take my chances?

Retake, retake, retake. Both your GPA and LSAT are under SMU medians, so unless you're a URM, you need to retake. I had a lower GPA and a 166 and got 76k.

asunshinee wrote:My major GPA is a 3.9 if that makes any difference.

All that matters is your LSAC GPA



I've heard that if you don't think you can raise your LSAT score by 5 points.. then it looks bad. I would need to get a 168, which I've never gotten on a practice test before. Is that worth the risk of taking it and doing the same / a couple points better?


I wouldn't worry about needing to raise it 5 points. A score of, say, 166 is above their median and will help SMU raise its median- those things are what they're concerned with, in my opinion. They won't worry about the previous score, especially as it's their stated policy to only consider the highest score.



Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but hypothetically speaking.. if I do worse on the October LSAT, would that look bad to admissions? I know they have a policy of only considering the highest score, but would it be more damaging to see a lower score than to just not retake it?

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby renee88 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:20 am

I really doubt it would have a significant impact. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've heard of several people (one just a few posts ago) who dropped points their second test but still did as expected in admissions based on the first score. I really think they just take the highest score regardless of whether it came from the first test or the second. I've never heard otherwise. There are a million reasons someone could drop their score (illness, bad day, etc) and I doubt they'd put a lot of thought into it.

User avatar
labeauche
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby labeauche » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:16 am

financial aid is finally out. hoozah!

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23931
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 pm

asunshinee wrote:
renee88 wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but hypothetically speaking.. if I do worse on the October LSAT, would that look bad to admissions? I know they have a policy of only considering the highest score, but would it be more damaging to see a lower score than to just not retake it?


It won't hurt. I got a 169, then retook and got a 164. Didn't hurt with SMU (but did cause me to get autodinged at UVA, haha).

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby renee88 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Thirteen wrote:
asunshinee wrote:
renee88 wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but hypothetically speaking.. if I do worse on the October LSAT, would that look bad to admissions? I know they have a policy of only considering the highest score, but would it be more damaging to see a lower score than to just not retake it?


It won't hurt. I got a 169, then retook and got a 164. Didn't hurt with SMU (but did cause me to get autodinged at UVA, haha).


Does UVA average scores?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 am

renee88 wrote:Does UVA average scores?

UVA and other splitter friendly schools don't like splitters whose second attempt was lower than their first attempt. Your best options as a splitter are (a) kill the lsat the first time and dont retake or (b) kill it your first time and do even better the second time.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 pm

I wish SMU would send out updates to waitlisted people. :?

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23931
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 pm

fathergoose wrote:
renee88 wrote:Does UVA average scores?

UVA and other splitter friendly schools don't like splitters whose second attempt was lower than their first attempt. Your best options as a splitter are (a) kill the lsat the first time and dont retake or (b) kill it your first time and do even better the second time.


This. Also, I didn't score above their 75% mark, so my shot at the school went up in flames. The score came out on a Saturday, and I was dinged the following Monday. Bastards.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 0LawSchool, Assasindowntheavenue, Earlskies, Google [Bot], JD_Kingfish, joezze, Lawschool305, lillawyer2, patrickkpaul, Yahoo [Bot] and 30 guests