SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisokc

Re: SMU 2011

Postby chrisokc » Sun May 15, 2011 10:25 am

If UT had accepted me, I would have stopped checking other status checkers.

adamtx11

Postby adamtx11 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm looking to get a place in uptown. Any recommendations on where or where not to live? Thanks

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:53 pm

adamtx11 wrote:I'm looking to get a place in uptown. Any recommendations on where or where not to live? Thanks

Depends on what you're looking to pay.

I live in the Gables Villa Rosa, and I love it. Walking distance to restaurants and bars on McKinney, and its only a few years old. Hardwood, granite, stainless, all that stuff. Also, if you're planning on having a roommate, most of the units have floor plans with identical bedroom/bathroom sizes, which is perfect.

For the price, (i think) its a way better value than most of the Post properties in uptown that I toured.

sneijder

Postby sneijder » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
adamtx11 wrote:I'm looking to get a place in uptown. Any recommendations on where or where not to live? Thanks

Depends on what you're looking to pay.

I live in the Gables Villa Rosa, and I love it. Walking distance to restaurants and bars on McKinney, and its only a few years old. Hardwood, granite, stainless, all that stuff. Also, if you're planning on having a roommate, most of the units have floor plans with identical bedroom/bathroom sizes, which is perfect.

For the price, (i think) its a way better value than most of the Post properties in uptown that I toured.

what do you pay a month?

david787

Postby david787 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Does anyone live at the Amli Knox-Henderson?

packerbacker

Postby packerbacker » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am

Had to be YP. They had to know you would rather go to UT or something of that nature.

david787

Postby david787 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am

Yeah they probably knew through the LSAC you were going to UT.

wes5668

Postby wes5668 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Thirteen wrote:
wes5668 wrote:
Accepted at UT (will be attending), U of H, and OU. My personal statement emphasize from Dallas, SMU graduate employed in Dallas, needed to remain in Dallas. I'm as perplexed as everyone else.

Call and ask what happened. It will give you closure, and we all want to know what SMU was thinking :lol:

Called and was told "no information over the phone." About as blunt as the denial letter. I have to agree with all that it was YP based on LSAC reporting a seat deposit at UT. While UT is a great school, frankly I do not want to quit a job willing to accommodate a law school schedule, sell a home, and move two kids as emphasized in my "why SMU." Perplexed yet pissed to say the least.

brose

Postby brose » Mon May 16, 2011 1:34 pm

wes5668 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
wes5668 wrote:
Accepted at UT (will be attending), U of H, and OU. My personal statement emphasize from Dallas, SMU graduate employed in Dallas, needed to remain in Dallas. I'm as perplexed as everyone else.

Call and ask what happened. It will give you closure, and we all want to know what SMU was thinking :lol:

Called and was told "no information over the phone." About as blunt as the denial letter. I have to agree with all that it was YP based on LSAC reporting a seat deposit at UT. While UT is a great school, frankly I do not want to quit a job willing to accommodate a law school schedule, sell a home, and move two kids as emphasized in my "why SMU." Perplexed yet pissed to say the least.

Could you meet with an admissions officer?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon May 16, 2011 1:36 pm

wes5668 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
wes5668 wrote:

I know it might not feel this way, but you should be thankful that SMU took the decision out of your hands. As my classmates have said, UT is significantly better than SMU, so going there will probably pay off in the long run.

Still, it's shitty that SMU would deny admission.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

brose wrote:
wes5668 wrote:

Could you meet with an admissions officer?

Yeah, I'm sure that Jill Nikirk would be willing to meet with you some time this week. I saw her on campus Friday, so I'm assuming that she'll still be in her office this week.

david787

Postby david787 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm

In hindsight you probably should have communicated to them via a LOCI that you would withdraw from UT if admitted. They are going to make the same assumption as everyone else, that nobody would pick SMU over UT, that combined with your UT deposit...

It's certainly worth communicating that now, although I would imagine it's harder to reverse a ding.

I hope my tone isn't coming across as negative, I'm just trying to think practical/realistic.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:48 pm

wes5668 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
wes5668 wrote:

Did you apply exclusively to the PT program or is your job willing to accomdate a FT law school schedule?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon May 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Unless you told them you deposited at UT, then I highly doubt it was because of your deposit at UT since the schools just got that list from LSAC today whereas you received your rejection last week and from what Dean Pless of Illinois has explained, it only includes names of people who have deposited at the school who gets the report and another school. You didn't deposit at SMU, so your name would NOT show up on their list even if you had multiple deposits out already. I don't think it even includes the name of the law schools that the person has multiple deposits at, just the number.

Quote from Dean Pless:
You only get the names of people who have paid a deposit at your school and another school.

So it couldn't have been from your UT deposit unless you told them about it. I'm not trying to be rude or anything; I'm only saying this because I don't want people reading your speculation as to why you were rejected and believing that depositing at a school will hurt you at another school, etc.

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection and it doesn't make sense on the surface, but you can definitely rule this possible explanation out. Good luck at UT.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm

plus, people w/ better numbers were accepted this cycle. either way, i'd trade a nut go to UT over SMU but you obs. have your reasons.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 16, 2011 7:11 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Unless you told them you deposited at UT, then I highly doubt it was because of your deposit at UT since the schools just got that list from LSAC today whereas you received your rejection last week and from what Dean Pless of Illinois has explained, it only includes names of people who have deposited at the school who gets the report and another school. You didn't deposit at SMU, so your name would NOT show up on their list even if you had multiple deposits out already. I don't think it even includes the name of the law schools that the person has multiple deposits at, just the number.

Quote from Dean Pless:
You only get the names of people who have paid a deposit at your school and another school.

So it couldn't have been from your UT deposit unless you told them about it. I'm not trying to be rude or anything; I'm only saying this because I don't want people reading your speculation as to why you were rejected and believing that depositing at a school will hurt you at another school, etc.

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection and it doesn't make sense on the surface, but you can definitely rule this possible explanation out. Good luck at UT.

False. I double-deposited last year and received a phone call from one of the schools well before LSAC's magical list was supposed to be released, and they knew about the dual deposit, school name, everything.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon May 16, 2011 7:57 pm

kalvano wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Unless you told them you deposited at UT, then I highly doubt it was because of your deposit at UT since the schools just got that list from LSAC today whereas you received your rejection last week and from what Dean Pless of Illinois has explained, it only includes names of people who have deposited at the school who gets the report and another school. You didn't deposit at SMU, so your name would NOT show up on their list even if you had multiple deposits out already. I don't think it even includes the name of the law schools that the person has multiple deposits at, just the number.

Quote from Dean Pless:

False. I double-deposited last year and received a phone call from one of the schools well before LSAC's magical list was supposed to be released, and they knew about the dual deposit, school name, everything.

Ok that still doesnt dismiss my post or point. They may have released it early last year or the schools talk to each other who knows, but my point is that if Dean Pless is right, then SMU would have no idea about his deposit at UT since the schools can only see if you deposit at their school (aka you had to be accepted already) and another school.

renee88

Postby renee88 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Even if SMU somehow knew about the deposit, it would be pretty ridiculous for them to hold that against him, especially in light of his personal statement. What was he supposed to do when SMU takes so long with decisions? Even if I applied somewhere with 99% certainty I'd be accepted, if I hadn't heard by May I certainly wouldn't throw caution to the wind and not deposit anywhere else. If SMU assumes something more out of students for whom they haven't even given a decision, then they are truly in their own world of expectations.

sneijder

Postby sneijder » Tue May 17, 2011 6:05 pm

renee88 wrote:Even if SMU somehow knew about the deposit, it would be pretty ridiculous for them to hold that against him, especially in light of his personal statement. What was he supposed to do when SMU takes so long with decisions? Even if I applied somewhere with 99% certainty I'd be accepted, if I hadn't heard by May I certainly wouldn't throw caution to the wind and not deposit anywhere else. If SMU assumes something more out of students for whom they haven't even given a decision, then they are truly in their own world of expectations.

+1

packerbacker

Postby packerbacker » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

True. An argument could be made, however, that with his numbers and assuming they knew about UT that they werent going to accept him purely to YP. That late in the decision making process and seeing his deposit could have sent them enough red flags to not want to risk sending an acceptance. I think at the very least though he should have been waitlisted. Thats what shocks me

derowland986

Postby derowland986 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Accepted off waitlist via phone call and very excited!

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:02 pm

derowland986 wrote:Accepted off waitlist via phone call and very excited!

Congrats! Good to know there's some movement on the waitlist. Although now I'm sure the stress level for everyone WL'd is going to shoot up!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed May 18, 2011 5:03 pm

derowland986 wrote:Accepted off waitlist via phone call and very excited!

Congrats! I just finished my 1L year here, so feel free so shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Wed May 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm already having issues with financial aid. Joy.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed May 18, 2011 6:54 pm

what issues?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”