SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lonestar

New

Re: SMU 2011

Post by lonestar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 am

I started another thread, with a poll to show how many people are in the Held boat.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=153578

I also looked through LSN from last year, and almost all of the late April notifications were Waitlists. Hopefully SMU is changing their strategy this year.

emlawi

New

Post by emlawi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

seriously SMU?? STILL at ACed.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Dinged for PT today via status checker

emlawi

New

Post by emlawi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Just dinged for FT via status checker

texasforever

New

Post by texasforever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:56 am

haven't been on this site in a while but I see most people with sub 164's are still waiting.. this was the course last year.. I didn't get my phone call until April 28 so keep holding out.. Also, if you manage to go here next year, get ready for the most challenging year of your life (no lie)

For relevancy's sake, I was accepted FT; white male in state 3.98 157.. good luck to everyone still waiting, if you get WL'ed, it's an uphill battle to get off so make visits to the school and press your willingness to attend as much as possible

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waketiger

New

Post by waketiger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:10 pm

texasforever wrote:haven't been on this site in a while but I see most people with sub 164's are still waiting.. this was the course last year.. I didn't get my phone call until April 28 so keep holding out.. Also, if you manage to go here next year, get ready for the most challenging year of your life (no lie)

For relevancy's sake, I was accepted FT; white male in state 3.98 157.. good luck to everyone still waiting, if you get WL'ed, it's an uphill battle to get off so make visits to the school and press your willingness to attend as much as possible
Do you mind me asking what UG you went to?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:30 pm

texasforever wrote:Also, if you manage to go here next year, get ready for the most challenging year of your life (no lie) school to be mostly fun except for a poorly-run Legal Writing department which takes pleasure in its sadism in a vain and futile attempt to make SMU grads "more marketable" than UT grads.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
texasforever wrote:Also, if you manage to go here next year, get ready for the most challenging year of your life (no lie) school to be mostly fun except for a poorly-run Legal Writing department which takes pleasure in its sadism in a vain and futile attempt to make SMU grads "more marketable" than UT grads.
lol, having a graded legal writing class was one of the main reasons I considered attending elsewhere...

I was doing some NALP research and was looking at firm bios for SMU grads... almost every single recent associate (i.e. 2008-2010) had Law Review, Order of the Coif, cum laude or better credentials.

If you are not in the top 10% can you pretty much assume you won't get a job through OCI?

Does anyone know what SMU curves at?

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
kalvano wrote:
lol, having a graded legal writing class was one of the main reasons I considered attending elsewhere...

I was doing some NALP research and was looking at firm bios for SMU grads... almost every single recent associate (i.e. 2008-2010) had Law Review, Order of the Coif, cum laude or better credentials.

If you are not in the top 10% can you pretty much assume you won't get a job through OCI?

curve @ a B. top 10 is around a 3.5, 25 is around a 3.3.

I think u need at the very least top 20 for the big firms at OCI. Never been thru OCI so i could be completely wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:14 pm

ArchRoark wrote: lol, having a graded legal writing class was one of the main reasons I considered attending elsewhere...

SCL = 3.8
MCL = 3.6
CL = 3.2

Top 10% last year at graduation was 3.606.

According to at least one professor top 30% used to be the sweet spot for OCI. ITE, it is anbody's guess.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I think the job market is on the upswing but that being said, it would be hard for it not to be on an upswing given how low it has been.

I think as far as OCI goes, its hard to generalize given the disparity in the types of firms. I don't think anybody outside of the top 10% will get a sniff at interviews with the Skaddens of the world but I think being in the top third will get you interviews with someone, even if it is just to fill out their slots. I think being on journal, moot, etc. matters a lot too.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:16 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I was doing some NALP research and was looking at firm bios for SMU grads... almost every single recent associate (i.e. 2008-2010) had Law Review, Order of the Coif, cum laude or better credentials.

Keep in mind, Order of the Coif is awarded at graduation, and you have 2 years to pad your GPA past 1L. Also, you can write on to Law Review. So just because the ended up with those things does not mean they had them at OCI time.

I know a girl in the top 10% who got nothing at OCI, and I am sure there are people in the top 1/3 who got a firm offer. OCI is more about how well you connect with the person interviewing you.

I do feel that this year the jobs will be more plentiful than in the past couple of years.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:26 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote: lol, having a graded legal writing class was one of the main reasons I considered attending elsewhere...

SCL = 3.8
MCL = 3.6
CL = 3.2

According to at least one professor top 30% used to be the sweet spot for OCI. ITE, it is anbody's guess.
These percentages are 3L graduation percentages, which do not mean anything for OCI. 1L percentages are what really matter, and are lower, i.e. top 10: 3.5ish.

Also, FWIW, That was probably an opinion based on pre-2009 OCI results.

Edit: Kalvano is right though. Grades/Rank gets you the interview, not the job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:

SCL = 3.8
MCL = 3.6
CL = 3.2

These percentages are 3L graduation percentages, which do not mean anything for OCI. 1L percentages are what really matter, and are lower, i.e. top 10: 3.5ish.

Also, FWIW, That was probably an opinion based on pre-2009 OCI results.

Edit: Kalvano is right though. Grades/Rank gets you the interview, not the job.
I agree the percentage I quoted was at graduation, I even said as much.

I also agree that Latin Honors are awarded at graduation. I think AR is smart enough to take that into consideration given that he is the one who first brought up that Latin Honors seem to go hand in hand with Biglaw employment from SMU.

Yes, that opinion is based on pre-2009 OCI results. That's why I noted that Crespi told us that "it used be..." and "ITE, it is anybody's guess."

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:53 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
I also agree that Latin Honors are awarded at graduation. I think AR is smart enough to take that into consideration given that he is the one who first brought up that Latin Honors seem to go hand in hand with Biglaw employment from SMU.

Yes, that opinion is based on pre-2009 OCI results. That's why I noted that Crespi told us that "it used be..." and "ITE, it is anybody's guess."
yeah sorry i didn't read it well, i wasn't trying to one-up your post.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for the replies, just about what I was thinking.

Anyone have any information about Haynes and Boone Minority Scholars Program? It is mentioned on the hayboo website, but nothing specific about when one applies (i.e. as a 0L/1L etc). From the short description it appears you would apply as an 0L.
Effective recruiting and mentoring are foundations of diversity. To that end, we have established the Haynes and Boone Minority Scholars Program for first-year students at SMU Dedman School of Law and the University of Texas School of Law. Haynes and Boone Scholars receive a monthly stipend, a summer clerkship at our firm, and a mentor to provide guidance during the student’s first year in law school.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:03 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Thanks for the replies, just about what I was thinking.

Anyone have any information about Haynes and Boone Minority Scholars Program? It is mentioned on the hayboo website, but nothing specific about when one applies (i.e. as a 0L/1L etc). From the short description it appears you would apply as an 0L.
Effective recruiting and mentoring are foundations of diversity. To that end, we have established the Haynes and Boone Minority Scholars Program for first-year students at SMU Dedman School of Law and the University of Texas School of Law. Haynes and Boone Scholars receive a monthly stipend, a summer clerkship at our firm, and a mentor to provide guidance during the student’s first year in law school.
Applications were due on November 30 this year, and there was a reception to meet the associates and partners in mid January (about a week before grades were released).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Thirteen wrote:

Applications were due on November 30 this year, and there was a reception to meet the associates and partners in mid January (about a week before grades were released).
Cool.

Seeing as admissions decisions weren't released until January, I am assume then you apply as a 1L? I guess the stipend/mentor is only for the second half of the year.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:32 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Cool.

Seeing as admissions decisions weren't released until January, I am assume then you apply as a 1L? I guess the stipend/mentor is only for the second half of the year.
Yep, you apply during 1L.

frognot

New

Post by frognot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 am

To all the current SMU law students, good luck on your upcoming exams. Your presence here has been very helpful.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 am

frognot wrote:To all the current SMU law students, good luck on your upcoming exams. Your presence here has been very helpful.
Just paying forward all the help I got on here when I was going through the process. Feel free to PM just about any of us if you have questions as the summer turns into fall. I can't promise we'll get back immediately but most of us are more than happy to help.

And I can safely say that all of you 0Ls are in for the most ridiculous roller coaster year of your lives. It is an incredible learning experience but for mostly reasons you wouldn't expect. (foreseeability anyone?)

Enjoy the hell out of the next three months and come into 1L bright eyed and well rested.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:57 am

fathergoose wrote:
frognot wrote:To all the current SMU law students, good luck on your upcoming exams. Your presence here has been very helpful.
Just paying forward all the help I got on here when I was going through the process. Feel free to PM just about any of us if you have questions as the summer turns into fall. I can't promise we'll get back immediately but most of us are more than happy to help.

And I can safely say that all of you 0Ls are in for the most ridiculous roller coaster year of your lives. It is an incredible learning experience but for mostly reasons you wouldn't expect. (foreseeability anyone?)

Enjoy the hell out of the next three months read all of the EE's cover-to-cover and come into 1L bright eyed and well rested way ahead of everyone else.
FTFY

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Actually, reading the Civ Pro E&E cover to cover would be beneficial. You wouldn't have to go to class at all.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 pm

kalvano wrote:Actually, reading the Civ Pro E&E cover to cover would be beneficial. You wouldn't have to go to class at all.
That's my strategy. Unfortunately, I only have until next Friday to do it... and have a couple other exams to contend with in the meantime. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”