SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swilson215

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:40 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I am on campus for the next couple hours. Anyone have any suggestions on where to eat?

i heart yogurt for dessert! i have a feeling that place is going to be one of my new favorites! :)

CalTexCo

Postby CalTexCo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 am

They posted the Fall course schedule:
http://www.law.smu.edu/apps/registrar/courses.aspx?Term=Fall-2011&Year=1

Since I'll be in the evening program, this basically gives me my schedule for the fall. Do any current students have feedback on Colangelo, Anderson or Pryor (or any other 1L professors for that matter)?

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 am

CalTexCo wrote:They posted the Fall course schedule:

Since I'll be in the evening program, this basically gives me my schedule for the fall. Do any current students have feedback on Colangelo, Anderson or Pryor (or any other 1L professors for that matter)?

Bellin is awesome. He's a relatively new professor, and everyone really likes him. I really like Crespi, other people might feel differently. He doesn't use socratic and just pretty much lectures. But he pretty much focuses on BLL and holds "optional" exam review sessions almost every friday. He gives you a huge book of all of his old exams, which I guess makes the curve kind of tight because he teaches you how to take his exams.
Those are the only two that Section 1 had this year. I'm really surprised not to see Forrester for property or Martinez for Civ Pro.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 am

sorry, noob question - what does this mean? do i have to rush to get into any of these professor's classes or will i be placed into them. unnecessary panic attack alert.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am

bartleby wrote:sorry, noob question - what does this mean? do i have to rush to get into any of these professor's classes or will i be placed into them. unnecessary panic attack alert.

Nope. Registar does all of your 1L classes for you. You'll have all your classes with your one section.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 am

Based on the professors, would any of the current students prefer Sec 1 or Sec 2? (I realize it's not our choice, but I'm bored :) )

ebo

Postby ebo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am

Also, when do we find out which section we're in?

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 am

ebo wrote:Also, when do we find out which section we're in?

not until late summer

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:Based on the professors, would any of the current students prefer Sec 1 or Sec 2? (I realize it's not our choice, but I'm bored :) )

I love Crespi, so I'd probably prefer Section 1. We didn't have any of the other professors, so don't put much weight into my preference.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks! super helpful

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Based on the professors, would any of the current students prefer Sec 1 or Sec 2? (I realize it's not our choice, but I'm bored :) )

Section 2. You get Bellin for Crim and he is awesome. A lot of reading, but awesome. And I hear Mayo is fantastic as well.

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:53 pm

deliriousxix wrote:

Thanks! super helpful

+1. 9 am class, definitely gonna try to be living as close to campus as possible.

anybody know anything about the Village's typical availability? I'd love to live there, but probably won't be able to start my lease until August, and don't really want to pay beyond 1k a month in rent.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:56 pm

smithc2011 wrote:
deliriousxix wrote:

Thanks! super helpful

+1. 9 am class, definitely gonna try to be living as close to campus as possible.

anybody know anything about the Village's typical availability? I'd love to live there, but probably won't be able to start my lease until August, and don't really want to pay beyond 1k a month in rent.

same - would like to know this info as well

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 pm

smithc2011 wrote:anybody know anything about the Village's typical availability? I'd love to live there, but probably won't be able to start my lease until August, and don't really want to pay beyond 1k a month in rent.

I don't live in the village so I can't say first hand but there are like 8 billion different complexes in "the village" so I imagine one of them would have whatever availability you are looking for

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:47 pm

kalvano wrote:

Section 2. You get Bellin for Crim and he is awesome. A lot of reading, but awesome. And I hear Mayo is fantastic as well.

One of the big game-changers can be which teacher you get for legal writing. Remember, at SMU, a huge chunk of of your time will be spent on legal writing, and the rest will be distributed among the other subjects. There will be a lot of times during your first semester when that will seem like the only class you're taking. There are some big differences among the teachers too.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Ok I REALLY need a decision from SMU on/before April 29th because I have a $500 deposit due at Illinois on April 29th, and even though I will be so happy if I get into SMU with $$, I will also be incredibly pissed if I wasted $500 by depositing at Illinois. Do you think I should email them letting them know about my other deposit coming up or will trying to pressure them into a decision blow up in my face?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:45 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Ok I REALLY need a decision from SMU on/before April 29th because I have a $500 deposit due at Illinois on April 29th, and even though I will be so happy if I get into SMU with $$, I will also be incredibly pissed if I wasted $500 by depositing at Illinois. Do you think I should email them letting them know about my other deposit coming up or will trying to pressure them into a decision blow up in my face?

I'd send the e-mail, but expect to receive a stock response along the lines of, "We're working on the next round of applications, and you can expect a decision shortly."

Congrats on Illinois, btw. It's a great school, and my friends that go there love it.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Thirteen wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Ok I REALLY need a decision from SMU on/before April 29th because I have a $500 deposit due at Illinois on April 29th, and even though I will be so happy if I get into SMU with $$, I will also be incredibly pissed if I wasted $500 by depositing at Illinois. Do you think I should email them letting them know about my other deposit coming up or will trying to pressure them into a decision blow up in my face?

I'd send the e-mail, but expect to receive a stock response along the lines of, "We're working on the next round of applications, and you can expect a decision shortly."

Congrats on Illinois, btw. It's a great school, and my friends that go there love it.

Thanks, I'm visiting Illinois for the first time next week to see if I like it. I'd much rather stay in TX, but I figure it's a great out of state option with decent placement in TX.

Yeah, I fully expect to receive that type of response, but do you think letting them know about my upcoming deposit will actually get them to speed up the process a bit, or will they just blow it off? I know you probably have no idea, but I'm fine with speculation at this point, I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Seriously, if SMU accepted me and gave me 60K, I'd take it in a heart beat and deposit right that second.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 pm

fathergoose wrote:
smithc2011 wrote:anybody know anything about the Village's typical availability? I'd love to live there, but probably won't be able to start my lease until August, and don't really want to pay beyond 1k a month in rent.

I don't live in the village so I can't say first hand but there are like 8 billion different complexes in "the village" so I imagine one of them would have whatever availability you are looking for

I wrote a blog post reviewing a few of the Village properties I saw on my trip a few weeks ago. The link to my blog is in my profile... :)

All of the leasing agents I spoke with said availability wouldn't be a problem, to contact them mid-June to early-July to get something rented. And a majority of the places that I saw that were 1 bedroom/1 baths were well under $1k/month...most were between $650 and $800.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

One of the big game-changers can be which teacher you get for legal writing. Remember, at SMU, a huge chunk of of your time will be spent on legal writing, and the rest will be distributed among the other subjects. There will be a lot of times during your first semester when that will seem like the only class you're taking. There are some big differences among the teachers too.

If you get Cashen, start crying immediately.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:14 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Yeah, I fully expect to receive that type of response, but do you think letting them know about my upcoming deposit will actually get them to speed up the process a bit, or will they just blow it off? I know you probably have no idea, but I'm fine with speculation at this point, I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Seriously, if SMU accepted me and gave me 60K, I'd take it in a heart beat and deposit right that second. Stupid 164. :(

I called them before April 1st and told them that I had deposit deadlines coming due on the 1st, and they said that I would hear from them (SMU) in late April/early May.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Yeah, I fully expect to receive that type of response, but do you think letting them know about my upcoming deposit will actually get them to speed up the process a bit, or will they just blow it off? I know you probably have no idea, but I'm fine with speculation at this point, I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Seriously, if SMU accepted me and gave me 60K, I'd take it in a heart beat and deposit right that second.

I called them before April 1st and told them that I had deposit deadlines coming due on the 1st, and they said that I would hear from them (SMU) in late April/early May.

So it obviously won't make a difference at all then. Maybe I can get Illinois to push back my deposit date by a week or two.

squ1rtle

Postby squ1rtle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Mayo is amazing as a torts professor. Very entertaining in his lectures. Also, he doesn't really call on people, but asks for volunteers. If no one volunteers, then he will call on people.

As far as legal writing professor, if you get Walls, you've lucked out. She was really helpful and really set out exactly what she is looking for in papers you turn in. Also, I will likely be your T.A. if you get Walls! =D

bass08

Postby bass08 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 pm

squ1rtle wrote:Mayo is amazing as a torts professor. Very entertaining in his lectures. Also, he doesn't really call on people, but asks for volunteers. If no one volunteers, then he will call on people.

As far as legal writing professor, if you get Walls, you've lucked out. She was really helpful and really set out exactly what she is looking for in papers you turn in. Also, I will likely be your T.A. if you get Walls! =D

Thornburg is discussing Erie--shouldn't you be paying attention???

Also, did any of you 1Ls attend the Fall Recruiting meeting today? If so, how was it? Any interesting data to report?

squ1rtle

Postby squ1rtle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm

bass08 wrote:
squ1rtle wrote:Mayo is amazing as a torts professor. Very entertaining in his lectures. Also, he doesn't really call on people, but asks for volunteers. If no one volunteers, then he will call on people.

Thornburg is discussing Erie--shouldn't you be paying attention???

Also, did any of you 1Ls attend the Fall Recruiting meeting today? If so, how was it? Any interesting data to report?

Oh yea, was taking a break from this amazing lecture. =D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”