SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

haha, i think it is going to be stupid easy to identify me. i gotta go back and edit all my posts.

avery87
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby avery87 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Been at second "completed" since 3/24. Trying to hold out and be patient but decision time is fast approaching. When is the first seat deposit due? Think more decisions will go out after the first date passes?

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23879
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

avery87 wrote:Been at second "completed" since 3/24. Trying to hold out and be patient but decision time is fast approaching. When is the first seat deposit due? Think more decisions will go out after the first date passes?


It was due on April 1. There should be another round within the next couple of weeks.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm

For those of you who weren't able to make it to the ASD this past weekend, I wrote a little bit about it on my blog, if you're interested! The link is in my profile.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 pm

swilson215 wrote:For those of you who weren't able to make it to the ASD this past weekend, I wrote a little bit about it on my blog, if you're interested! The link is in my profile.


Thanks! If you get some free time, post up those pics.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
swilson215 wrote:For those of you who weren't able to make it to the ASD this past weekend, I wrote a little bit about it on my blog, if you're interested! The link is in my profile.


Thanks! If you get some free time, post up those pics.


Will do for sure, just as soon as I can find my camera cable! :oops:

User avatar
smithc2011
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby smithc2011 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 am

swilson215 wrote:For those of you who weren't able to make it to the ASD this past weekend, I wrote a little bit about it on my blog, if you're interested! The link is in my profile.

Thanks a lot, I visited campus on Sunday, but was afraid I had missed out on the actual event. I'll just pretend like your impressions were mine.

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lokist86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am

smithc2011 wrote:
swilson215 wrote:For those of you who weren't able to make it to the ASD this past weekend, I wrote a little bit about it on my blog, if you're interested! The link is in my profile.

Thanks a lot, I visited campus on Sunday, but was afraid I had missed out on the actual event. I'll just pretend like your impressions were mine.


Her impressions were pretty spot on. :)

waketiger
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:27 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby waketiger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 pm

avery87 wrote:Been at second "completed" since 3/24. Trying to hold out and be patient but decision time is fast approaching. When is the first seat deposit due? Think more decisions will go out after the first date passes?



Exact same situation...

User avatar
txsunshine
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby txsunshine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

.
Last edited by txsunshine on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
txsunshine
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby txsunshine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Woops. Sorry for the sideways view, they didn't show up like that in the upload preview :roll:

User avatar
scutarius
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby scutarius » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

swilson215 wrote:For those of you who weren't able to make it to the ASD this past weekend, I wrote a little bit about it on my blog, if you're interested! The link is in my profile.



Excellent blog. Thank you for doing that. It is interesting how different the FT ASD was from the PT ASDinner (which I attended). It would have been nice to sit in on a class, although it sounds like that was a bit of a waste.

I also liked the movie you recommended. The California Bar pass rate may be very low, but they also let people take the test who have not graduated from an ABA accredited law school. You can even attend an online law school and sit for the California Bar. Those people who attend a good law school generally do well on the exam.

Keep up the great blogging. :D

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

scutarius wrote:
Excellent blog. Thank you for doing that. It is interesting how different the FT ASD was from the PT ASDinner (which I attended). It would have been nice to sit in on a class, although it sounds like that was a bit of a waste.

I also liked the movie you recommended. The California Bar pass rate may be very low, but they also let people take the test who have not graduated from an ABA accredited law school. You can even attend an online law school and sit for the California Bar. Those people who attend a good law school generally do well on the exam.

Keep up the great blogging. :D


Thank you!!!

Yeah, the CA Bar exam is kind of ridiculous. I know attorneys who NEVER went to law school - not online or correspondence or anything! You can "apprentice" instead (it's called the Office Study Program). You just have to "study"(work) under a judge or attorney for 4 years and pass the Baby Bar. I've been working for lawyers for 2 years and I'm no where NEAR halfway qualified to be a lawyer.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the pics txshunshine. I have a 3 hour layover in Dallas this weekend and am going to check out the campus. I wonder if I will need a pass to check out the inside of the buildings/library.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Thanks for the pics txshunshine. I have a 3 hour layover in Dallas this weekend and am going to check out the campus. I wonder if I will need a pass to check out the inside of the buildings/library.

It says attorneys and students only but nobody really checks ID. Just walk in or if you want someone to give you a walk through I'm sure one of the 1Ls on here would be glad to help or honestly you could ask any student on campus and they'll show you around.

User avatar
Scorch
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Scorch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 pm

I'll be attending the evening ASD on the 19th. Anyone else? If so, PM me and we can arrange to grab a beer or three after the formalities. It would be nice to meet some classmates.

Kalvano, I know I owe you at least one.

gorangers
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby gorangers » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi this is my first post.

I applied to both the FT and the PT, with preference of FT. Chances are I will only be admitted to the PT, but I was held for review for FT after early admission. I'm assuming that if I withdrew my application for FT right now, I'd get a letter soon saying I got in to PT because my numbers are above the PT median, and possibly a scholarship which I don't think I'd receive if was somehow admitted to FT.

Do I need to send an email saying that I'd rather be offered PT than be waitlisted into the summer for FT? Also, am I hurting my chances for acceptance into PT and scholarship money in PT by waiting around for FT?

Any advice is appreciated. I called admissions and the girl who answered didn't seem to understand my question.
Last edited by gorangers on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Scorch wrote:I'll be attending the evening ASD on the 19th. Anyone else? If so, PM me and we can arrange to grab a beer or three after the formalities. It would be nice to meet some classmates.

Kalvano, I know I owe you at least one.



You were accepted I take it?

Congratulations. I felt pretty sure you would be.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 pm

gorangers wrote:I called admissions and the girl who answered didn't seem to understand my question.



Call back and ask to speak to an admission counselor, not the student who answers the phone.

david787
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby david787 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:01 pm

I've been "Held for Further Review" since February, still waiting...

User avatar
Scorch
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Scorch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
Scorch wrote:I'll be attending the evening ASD on the 19th. Anyone else? If so, PM me and we can arrange to grab a beer or three after the formalities. It would be nice to meet some classmates.

Kalvano, I know I owe you at least one.



You were accepted I take it?

Congratulations. I felt pretty sure you would be.


Yes, I was accepted for the evening program. You're assessment was pretty accurate. I think my "work experience" helped.

tryan
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby tryan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 am

I was just curious if anybody else was in the same boat I'm in still: I applied back in mid-December but haven't heard a word since then. In reading this thread some people have mentioned that if your status checker says "Application CompleteD" then that means something--if it does, mine has been like that since 12/16.

Other question: is it worth contacting the admissions office and asking what my status is even though I can check online and/or whether it'd help to send a LOCI? SMU had been a top choice of mine going into this, but after not hearing a word for the past 3 1/2 months, I'm beginning to wonder...

TortoiseshellCat
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 am

tryan wrote:I was just curious if anybody else was in the same boat I'm in still: I applied back in mid-December but haven't heard a word since then. In reading this thread some people have mentioned that if your status checker says "Application CompleteD" then that means something--if it does, mine has been like that since 12/16.

Other question: is it worth contacting the admissions office and asking what my status is even though I can check online and/or whether it'd help to send a LOCI? SMU had been a top choice of mine going into this, but after not hearing a word for the past 3 1/2 months, I'm beginning to wonder...


I've been wondering the same thing :/. I would call the admissions office and give it a shot...let me know what they say! :D

User avatar
OklahomasOK
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm calling admissions tomorrow, I'm pretty set on SMU but I'm getting turned off every day I don't hear a peep from them. I don't think a LOCI would be needed since I haven't even had a decision rendered yet.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 am

OklahomasOK wrote:I'm calling admissions tomorrow, I'm pretty set on SMU but I'm getting turned off every day I don't hear a peep from them. I don't think a LOCI would be needed since I haven't even had a decision rendered yet.

Let us know how it goes because I have the exact same feelings as you about waiting for SMU and it's driving me crazy that I haven't heard yet.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”