SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ebo

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

For FT 1L's:

What does your schedule look like each week? Are classes all at the same times for 1L students?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 pm

ebo wrote:What does your schedule look like each week?

About three hours of class a day more or less. 2 hours in the morning and one in the afternoon.

ebo wrote:Are classes all at the same times for 1L students?

Both of the two day sections have unique schedules but you will have all the same people in all of your classes.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:Props to the 0L at the ASD today who kept nodding off in the front row and the other one who texted the entire time while being literally 5 ft away from crespi. Bold moves.
HA! Saw that kid sleeping. I was on Crespi's right in a red polo

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Props to the cute blonde who walked in late then played with her hair all throughout class.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 pm

kalvano wrote:Props to the cute blonde who walked in late then played with her hair all throughout class.

She will have a much easier time finding 1L summer employment than I did.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 pm

For anyone who was there, I just want to let you know that class usually isn't that boring. Crespi's one of our best profs, but the material was fucking dry as hell today.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Even if it was dry, the rest of the day made my decision easy -- paid my deposit, officially going to be there in August!!!! :D

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:29 pm

swilson215 wrote:Even if it was dry, the rest of the day made my decision easy -- paid my deposit, officially going to be there in August!!!! :D

Nice.

labeauche

Postby labeauche » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:30 pm

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Props to the cute blonde who walked in late then played with her hair all throughout class.

I think you are talking about me. Sorry, I do not see the point of sitting in on a class that half of the language can be classified as legalese. Isn't it akin to trying to read a casebook the summer before you begin law school? Lots of energy expended with very little to show for it. I am sure he is an excellent prof, but it may have been easier to sit in on a class utilizing even a hint of the socratic method. For a bystander at least, it makes for a more dynamic experience. After sitting through several such lectures I probably should have learned my lesson and just skipped ahead to the tour. My bad.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm

labeauche wrote:
fathergoose wrote:

I think you are talking about me. Sorry, I do not see the point of sitting in on a class that half of the language can be classified as legalese. Isn't it akin to trying to read a casebook the summer before you begin law school? Lots of energy expended with very little to show for it. I am sure he is an excellent prof, but it may have been easier to sit in on a class utilizing even a hint of the socratic method. For a bystander at least, it makes for a more dynamic experience. After sitting through several such lectures I probably should have learned my lesson and just skipped ahead to the tour. My bad.

Even if the lecture was given in russian and the topic was late 18th century scuba diving techniques, its rude to be late and you probably made yourself look like an idiot by not at least pretending to pay attention.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 pm

labeauche wrote:I think you are talking about me. Sorry, I do not see the point of sitting in on a class that half of the language can be classified as legalese. Isn't it akin to trying to read a casebook the summer before you begin law school? Lots of energy expended with very little to show for it. I am sure he is an excellent prof, but it may have been easier to sit in on a class utilizing even a hint of the socratic method. For a bystander at least, it makes for a more dynamic experience. After sitting through several such lectures I probably should have learned my lesson and just skipped ahead to the tour. My bad.

Typically that's why they send most of the tours through our property class with Forrester. I think she is probably the easiest to understand from a lay perspective. I guess it just didn't fit in with your ASD schedule.

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:37 pm

ha, i was going to go to this, but instead i worked on a paper until midnight, drank until 4. waking up at 5 and driving to dallas didn't seem like a good idea.

how did everyone enjoy it? I figured the only thing i really missed out on was the tour, which i can get any time.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Capitol A wrote:
labeauche wrote:I think you are talking about me. Sorry, I do not see the point of sitting in on a class that half of the language can be classified as legalese. Isn't it akin to trying to read a casebook the summer before you begin law school? Lots of energy expended with very little to show for it. I am sure he is an excellent prof, but it may have been easier to sit in on a class utilizing even a hint of the socratic method. For a bystander at least, it makes for a more dynamic experience. After sitting through several such lectures I probably should have learned my lesson and just skipped ahead to the tour. My bad.

Even if the lecture was given in russian and the topic was late 18th century scuba diving techniques, its rude to be late and you probably made yourself look like an idiot by not at least pretending to pay attention.

Capitol A, were you in Crespi's classroom? If not, STFU. I was on Facebook the whole time (black dude in the back of the classroom in jorts), as were a good number of my classmates. We might have noticed it, but none of the other posters said anything about it being rude, or about her being an idiot. Don't put words in any of our mouths.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:41 pm

fathergoose wrote:Props to the 0L at the ASD today who kept nodding off in the front row and the other one who texted the entire time while being literally 5 ft away from crespi. Bold moves.

He was hungover. We put him in a car at 4am this morning, he was still drunk.

labeauche

Postby labeauche » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:43 pm

labeauche wrote:Even if the lecture was given in russian and the topic was late 18th century scuba diving techniques, its rude to be late and you probably made yourself look like an idiot by not at least pretending to pay attention.

Sorry Mom, I still had to go into work this morning to approve paperwork before coming for ASD, and when I tried to tell the women in charge that I would just wait they insisted that I go sit in on class. Maybe I am the idiot that shouldn't go to SMU.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Agree with 13. Nothing wrong with showing up late and she didn't do anything disruptive. Just found it amusing that her and nodding off guy were right in the front rows and clearly did not care at all. Not that I blame them. Just saying it was a bold move.

And that sucks for nodding off guy, Crespi does not go down well hungover. Nobody wants to hear about the finer points of anticipatory repudiation while they are focusing really hard on not yakking.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Also, what's with people bringing their parents to ASD? In our tour group we had one annoying parent asking 50% of the questions.

Seriously, if you're 22+ years old and enrolling in law school, you're old enough to take a tour without daddy holding your hand.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Also, what's with people bringing their parents to ASD? In our tour group we had one annoying parent asking 50% of the questions.

Seriously, if you're 22+ year olds and enrolling in law school, you're old enough to take a tour without daddy holding your hand.

If they write the checks then they get to come.

How do you tell your parents "yes I would like your money for tuition and living expenses but you don't get to come visit the school"

I gladly would trade being embarrassed at ASD by my parents for a monthly rent check

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:53 pm

fathergoose wrote:And that sucks for nodding off guy, Crespi does not go down well hungover. Nobody wants to hear about the finer points of anticipatory repudiation while they are focusing really hard on not yakking.

Hope Crespi wasn't offended, it's habitual:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

fathergoose wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:Also, what's with people bringing their parents to ASD? In our tour group we had one annoying parent asking 50% of the questions.

Seriously, if you're 22+ year olds and enrolling in law school, you're old enough to take a tour without daddy holding your hand.

How do you tell your parents "yes I would like your money for tuition and living expenses but you don't get to come visit the school"

I gladly would trade being embarrassed at ASD by my parents for a monthly rent check

Understandable, it was just annoying to keep getting interrupted by someone who isn't going there next year. Also, they tend to ask stupid questions.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

Capitol A, were you in Crespi's classroom? If not, STFU. I was on Facebook the whole time (black dude in the back of the classroom in jorts), as were a good number of my classmates. We might have noticed it, but none of the other posters said anything about it being rude, or about her being an idiot. Don't put words in any of our mouths.

New funniest post ever on TLS.
no, i wasn't there. I didn't need to be there to know that its rude to be late. To anything.
The fact that the majority of the class was not paying attention does not make it anymore okay to not pretend to pay attention.
Behavior does not have to be disruptive in order to be inappropriate.
How did put words in anyone's mouth? Did I say, 'I heard it was rude'? or 'I heard you were disruptive'? nope. The words clearly came from me alone. It's okay if you disagree, but in no way did I put words in anyone's mouth. I can be the only one taking this position and I will still stand by it.
I don't actually care. I withdrew from SMU weeks ago. I do, however find it incredibly amusing that you got so defensive about this. She referred to me as 'mom,' but unless you're her dad or trying to get a date, I can't possibly see how you could care.

alphasteve

Postby alphasteve » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Capitol A wrote:
thirteen wrote:Capitol A, were you in Crespi's classroom? If not, STFU. I was on Facebook the whole time (black dude in the back of the classroom in jorts), as were a good number of my classmates. We might have noticed it, but none of the other posters said anything about it being rude, or about her being an idiot. Don't put words in any of our mouths.

no, i wasn't there. I didn't need to be there to know that its rude to be late. To anything.
The fact that the majority of the class was not paying attention does not make it anymore okay to not pretend to pay attention.
How did put words in anyone's mouth? Did I say, 'I heard it was rude'? or 'I heard you were disruptive'? nope. The words clearly came from me alone. It's okay if you disagree, but in no way did I put words in anyone's mouth. I can be the only one taking this position and I will still stand by it.
I don't actually care. I withdrew from SMU weeks ago. I do, however find it incredibly amusing that you got so defensive about this. She referred to me as 'mom,' but unless you're her dad or trying to get a date, I can't possibly see how you could care.

We try to have a douche-free school. To the best we can, the community policies it. You, sir, are being a douche. And I am glad to hear you've withdrawn.
Last edited by alphasteve on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 pm

fathergoose wrote:

Honestly, I'm kind of with Longhorn on this one. And if you DO have to bring your parents, for goodness' sake don't let them ask questions at the Q&A, on the tour, or monopolize the time of the 3Ls and staff/faculty that are in your groups!! That's taking the time away from people who will actually be at the school next year.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 pm

alphasteve wrote:We try to have a douche-free school. To the best we can, the community policies it. You, sir, are being a douche. And I am glad to hear you've withdrawn.

This

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 pm

alphasteve wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
thirteen wrote:Capitol A, were you in Crespi's classroom? If not, STFU. I was on Facebook the whole time (black dude in the back of the classroom in jorts), as were a good number of my classmates. We might have noticed it, but none of the other posters said anything about it being rude, or about her being an idiot. Don't put words in any of our mouths.

We try to have a douche-free school. To the best we can, the community policies it. You, sir, are being a douche. And I am glad to hear you've withdrawn.

Is a sense of decorum considered a douchie trait?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”