SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
RaspberryBeret
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby RaspberryBeret » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:31 am

swilson215 wrote:All right, so I've touched down in the lone star state...any suggestions as to what I should do tomorrow around the SMU area before the ASW on Friday?



Not really directly next to SMU, but go to Northpark Mall! Or shop around Mockingbird Station or Snider Plaza if you must stay close.




I swear I'm not an airheaded sorority girl.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 am

RaspberryBeret wrote:
swilson215 wrote:All right, so I've touched down in the lone star state...any suggestions as to what I should do tomorrow around the SMU area before the ASW on Friday?



Not really directly next to SMU, but go to Northpark Mall! Or shop around Mockingbird Station or Snider Plaza if you must stay close.

I swear I'm not an airheaded sorority girl.


1) Nothing wrong with sorority girls! I am one myself. I do need to go shopping, hmmmm...sounds good!
2) I've got a suh-weet lime(ish) green ford focus as my rental, so I don't have to stay close. (Seriously, green? I begged the rental company for ANYTHING else).

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23880
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 am

swilson215 wrote:
RaspberryBeret wrote:
swilson215 wrote:All right, so I've touched down in the lone star state...any suggestions as to what I should do tomorrow around the SMU area before the ASW on Friday?



Not really directly next to SMU, but go to Northpark Mall! Or shop around Mockingbird Station or Snider Plaza if you must stay close.

I swear I'm not an airheaded sorority girl.


1) Nothing wrong with sorority girls! I am one myself. I do need to go shopping, hmmmm...sounds good!
2) I've got a suh-weet lime(ish) green ford focus as my rental, so I don't have to stay close. (Seriously, green? I begged the rental company for ANYTHING else).


Don't sag your jeans at Northpark.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:24 am

And bring a copy of your credit report, there's a minimum score required for admittance.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby chrisokc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:28 am

Or check out Highland Park Village, but the shops there only accept the black American Express cards.

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lokist86 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 am

Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 am

lokist86 wrote:Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?


Depends which hotel it is and which highway, if any, you would have to get on to get to the school. What's the hotel address?

User avatar
timmah427
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby timmah427 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am

lokist86 wrote:Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?


From my experience, there is usually very little traffic going away from downtown on 75 in the morning (especially before 8:00). I would guess it won't take you more than 10-15 minutes, but you might want to get the opinion of somebody who lives downtown.
Last edited by timmah427 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lokist86 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?


Depends which hotel it is and which highway, if any, you would have to get on to get to the school. What's the hotel address?


Sheraton Dallas - 400 North Olive Street, Dallas, TX 75201

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 am

lokist86 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?


Depends which hotel it is and which highway, if any, you would have to get on to get to the school. What's the hotel address?


Sheraton Dallas - 400 North Olive Street, Dallas, TX 75201


If you wanna be at the school by 8, I'd leave about 7:30. It should take 20 minutes with traffic, but if there's any wrecks, it could be nasty.

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lokist86 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?


Depends which hotel it is and which highway, if any, you would have to get on to get to the school. What's the hotel address?


Sheraton Dallas - 400 North Olive Street, Dallas, TX 75201


If you wanna be at the school by 8, I'd leave about 7:30. It should take 20 minutes with traffic, but if there's any wrecks, it could be nasty.


lol, thanks.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23880
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:Hey guys, serious question. I've been told that traffic can be hellish in the morning for the Dallas area. I got a hotel room booked in downtown Dallas. From what google map is telling me, it doesn't look that far away. But from the mouth of true Dallas natives, how early should I head out in the morning to make it to SMU campus by 8ish?


Depends which hotel it is and which highway, if any, you would have to get on to get to the school. What's the hotel address?


Sheraton Dallas - 400 North Olive Street, Dallas, TX 75201


If you wanna be at the school by 8, I'd leave about 7:30. It should take 20 minutes with traffic, but if there's any wrecks, it could be nasty.


This. I live downtown, and plan to leave around 7:30ish tomorrow morning. It will take less than 15 minutes if there isn't traffic, but one flat tire could add 15 minutes to the commute.

TortoiseshellCat
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby TortoiseshellCat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:19 pm

Does the status check go from "File Complete" to "File under Review" or does it just go straight to "Decision Rendered"? Mine has been complete for a while now...

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby sceva31st » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

TortoiseshellCat wrote:Does the status check go from "File Complete" to "File under Review" or does it just go straight to "Decision Rendered"? Mine has been complete for a while now...

Mine was complete for about 2 months, then the File Completed date changed, and then the next day I received an acceptance phone call.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby mbusch22 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Hamburger Man and an over-crowded Crespi Contracts lecture tomorrow? ASD-ers are in for a real treat.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby wellington » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm

mbusch22 wrote:Hamburger Man and an over-crowded Crespi Contracts lecture tomorrow? ASD-ers are in for a real treat.


I hope he goes off on a tangent. Those are the best.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:53 pm

I hope he emails all the prospective students 4 minutes after class gets out.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:00 pm

kalvano wrote:I hope he emails all the prospective students 4 minutes after class gets out.

And then email them again about 30 minutes after that.

He is up to 59 for the semester which is just about 2 emails for each class we've had.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby chrisokc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 pm

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:I hope he emails all the prospective students 4 minutes after class gets out.

And then email them again about 30 minutes after that.

He is up to 59 for the semester which is just about 2 emails for each class we've had.

To get a true feel for things, they should also be required to sit through a session of the "voluntary" semester-long pre-class test review.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:43 pm

chrisokc wrote:To get a true feel for things, they should also be required to sit through a session of the "voluntary" semester-long pre-class test review.

I may avoid taking BE from him just because I don't want to be subjected to that again.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby chrisokc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:52 pm

fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:To get a true feel for things, they should also be required to sit through a session of the "voluntary" semester-long pre-class test review.

I may avoid taking BE from him just because I don't want to be subjected to that again.

Ha! There is no way I would voluntarily go through it again. I've had quite enough, thank you.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:56 pm

I will avoid BE at all costs simply because of the math.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Longhorn88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm

mbusch22 wrote:Hamburger Man and an over-crowded Crespi Contracts lecture tomorrow? ASD-ers are in for a real treat.


HAMBURGER MAN?!?!? YESSSSSSSSSSS

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23880
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 am

chrisokc wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:I hope he emails all the prospective students 4 minutes after class gets out.

And then email them again about 30 minutes after that.

He is up to 59 for the semester which is just about 2 emails for each class we've had.

To get a true feel for things, they should also be required to sit through a session of the "voluntary" semester-long pre-class test review.


At least y'all haven't seen what I have seen :shock:

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Props to the 0L at the ASD today who kept nodding off in the front row and the other one who texted the entire time while being literally 5 ft away from crespi. Bold moves.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”