SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gecko of Doom

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wellington

Postby wellington » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 am

kalvano wrote:I don't think you understand the depth of what you're offering. I don't need help understanding teams, I would actually need help understand the rules and the sport itself.

You give me all the notes from the 4 out of 5 lecture classes I don't go to/don't take notes in, and I'll teach you everything there is to know about football.

jplayer

Postby jplayer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:43 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
jplayer wrote:Thanks Thirteen. I figured that becoming a Cowboys fan would be required. They are NFC, and my Raiders are AFC, so I don't see any big problem there. In fact, I hate the Niners and always used to root for the Cowboys to beat them anyways, so i am already halfway there.

Ok, we're going to need to flip a coin or do rock paper scissors or something to decide which of us goes to SMU. A Chiefs fan and a Raiders fan in the same class isn't going to end well.

As long as the Chiefs keep rolling over twice a year for the Raiders, and I see no signs of that stopping, I can say that there is no ill-will on my part. I'll even buy you a drink if you root for the Silver and Black in the playoffs next year. Although, after looking at your profile, I think you will be better positioned financially than me to be buying drinks.

Besides, there is a lot that we can agree on as well. For example: John Elway is Satan, the Chargers will never win the big one, and so on.

No, I will be happy to go to school with a Chiefs fan.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 am

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simontemplar

Postby simontemplar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:15 pm

1Ls...do SMU professors really care if students use laptops in class? I thought this was basically a given (that you CAN), but I visited Wash U last week and the 2L that gave our tour said that most of his professors didn't allow it.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:29 pm

simontemplar wrote:1Ls...do SMU professors really care if students use laptops in class? I thought this was basically a given (that you CAN), but I visited Wash U last week and the 2L that gave our tour said that most of his professors didn't allow it.

I can't remember a professor ever mentioning it, and would guess that at least 80% of our class takes notes on a laptop.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:05 pm

I've heard of a couple of professors who ask you not to but it's not common.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Thirteen wrote:
simontemplar wrote:1Ls...do SMU professors really care if students use laptops in class? I thought this was basically a given (that you CAN), but I visited Wash U last week and the 2L that gave our tour said that most of his professors didn't allow it.

I can't remember a professor ever mentioning it, and would guess that at least 80% of our class takes notes on a laptop.

At least 99% has a laptop in front of them. Whether they are taking notes or screwing off is a completely different matter.

No professor for 1L has banned it.

timmah427

Postby timmah427 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Does anybody know if I can just drop my deposit off, or do I have to mail it?

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 pm

timmah427 wrote:Does anybody know if I can just drop my deposit off, or do I have to mail it?

You may also pay by credit card at --LinkRemoved--.

timmah427

Postby timmah427 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 pm

graceful1 wrote:
timmah427 wrote:Does anybody know if I can just drop my deposit off, or do I have to mail it?

You may also pay by credit card at --LinkRemoved--.

Oh, I didn't see that. Many thanks.

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Have any 1Ls lived in Hawk or Martin Halls? I'm considering living on-campus my first year and am hoping to tour the residence halls while I'm in town this weekend. Anything I should know?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:36 pm

txsunshine wrote:Have any 1Ls lived in Hawk or Martin Halls? I'm considering living on-campus my first year and am hoping to tour the residence halls while I'm in town this weekend. Anything I should know?

I only know of one person who lives on campus and I don't think they care for it very much. Most people I talk to who are happy about where they live either live in uptown, the village, or in the UP area.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm

After a whooole lot of deliberation today, I finally decided to withdraw before the April 1 deadline. This one was tough...I've spent my entire adult life in Texas and thought SMU's campus absolutely beautiful when I visited, but alas, it's time to experience new things.

Hope my $75k is freed up to another deserving candidate. Good luck all!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:After a whooole lot of deliberation today, I finally decided to withdraw before the April 1 deadline. This one was tough...I've spent my entire adult life in Texas and thought SMU's campus absolutely beautiful when I visited, but alas, it's time to experience new things.

dibs! :wink:

Good luck with your decision and wherever you end up!

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:13 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:After a whooole lot of deliberation today, I finally decided to withdraw before the April 1 deadline. This one was tough...I've spent my entire adult life in Texas and thought SMU's campus absolutely beautiful when I visited, but alas, it's time to experience new things.

Haha thank ya. I should have included a little postscript demanding they give you my spot...have they at least provided a timeline on when you'll hear back? It's been a lifetime since you first time me you were held :?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:32 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

Haha thank ya. I should have included a little postscript demanding they give you my spot...have they at least provided a timeline on when you'll hear back? It's been a lifetime since you first time me you were held :?

Apparently I'll hear late April/May aka too damn late :cry: Which sucks because at the beginning of my cycle I 100% thought I'd be at SMU in the fall. SMU please stop torturing me :cry:

str038

Postby str038 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 am

Long time first time. Most likely I'll be starting up at SMU this fall, full time program. I've got a couple questions for any current students still checking this thread.

1) Any idea how SMU places in Houston? I assume that UH may have a slight edge (and of course UT a larger edge), but I hope that SMU is at least competitive for big/mid law jobs outside of Dallas but inside of Texas.

2) What's the social scene look like for law students at SMU? Is it study study study or do most people find a night or so a week to kick back and drink a few? If so, do the law students tend to do this together or is every man for himself?

3) I've started taking a look at apartments, and I'm wondering which tends to be a more popular destination: the knox henderson area or the west village area. It sounds like knox henderson tends to be overcrowded with the undergrads, but do law students end up in this area as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

renee88

Postby renee88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 am

Could a current student also mention some of the most affordable places to live? Are there any decent, cheap suburbs within a reasonable commute time that you'd recommend?

ClutchCity24

Postby ClutchCity24 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:51 am

Can any current students help out on which apartments and areas are most popular for law students?

Peripatetic

Postby Peripatetic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

renee88 wrote:Could a current student also mention some of the most affordable places to live? Are there any decent, cheap suburbs within a reasonable commute time that you'd recommend?

The Village apartments are probably the most popular because they are cheap and close to SMU. The furthest north I would consider is Addison, but during rush hour the commute can take up to 45 min. This is mainly because congestion around 635 – both the tollway and IH75 - will take an additional 15-20 minutes. I wouldn’t venture much further south than uptown (Knox Henderson area) because of safety concerns. Lastly, I would not llive anywhere west of IH35E and east of White Rock Lake.

There are some apartments near the end of W University Blvd that are close to the campus. I believe the apartment is called Archstone now and I lived there during my undergrad at SMU. They were relatively nice and modestly priced and close enough to the social scene, but no so close that it would distract you from your studies.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:24 pm

str038 wrote:1) Any idea how SMU places in Houston? I assume that UH may have a slight edge (and of course UT a larger edge), but I hope that SMU is at least competitive for big/mid law jobs outside of Dallas but inside of Texas.

It will do OK. If you want Houston, UH is really a better choice, but SMU has name recognition in Houston.

str038 wrote:2) What's the social scene look like for law students at SMU? Is it study study study or do most people find a night or so a week to kick back and drink a few? If so, do the law students tend to do this together or is every man for himself?

Most people are pretty social. Everyone in my section is very friendly to each other, and several of us have gone to Gingerman on occasion.

str038 wrote:3) I've started taking a look at apartments, and I'm wondering which tends to be a more popular destination: the knox henderson area or the west village area. It sounds like knox henderson tends to be overcrowded with the undergrads, but do law students end up in this area as well?

Either one is fine. You should also check out The Village at Lovers and Skillman. Reasonably-priced, and fairly popular.

Peripatetic wrote:The furthest north I would consider is Addison, but during rush hour the commute can take up to 45 min.

Poppycock. My drive barely takes over 45 minutes.

But I do agree on the Village, good place to look.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:26 pm

str038 wrote:Long time first time. Most likely I'll be starting up at SMU this fall, full time program. I've got a couple questions for any current students still checking this thread.

1) Any idea how SMU places in Houston? I assume that UH may have a slight edge (and of course UT a larger edge), but I hope that SMU is at least competitive for big/mid law jobs outside of Dallas but inside of Texas.

2) What's the social scene look like for law students at SMU? Is it study study study or do most people find a night or so a week to kick back and drink a few? If so, do the law students tend to do this together or is every man for himself?

3) I've started taking a look at apartments, and I'm wondering which tends to be a more popular destination: the knox henderson area or the west village area. It sounds like knox henderson tends to be overcrowded with the undergrads, but do law students end up in this area as well?

Current 1L here.

1) I'm not entirely educated on how SMU places in Houston. However OCS just had a little meeting with the Dean's List kids (top 25%) and explained to us that there is a separate Houston OCI program in the fall, where OCS pays for lodging in Houston for a night or two while big Houston firms interview those who are selected to interview. I've also know a few 2Ls and 3Ls landing Houston midlaw/biglaw jobs. But again, I'm not sure on averages or anything.

2) Social scene is good. There is always a group who goes out, obviously more towards the beginning of the semester. The law school hosts plenty of bar events and you will always be able to find people to go out in uptown, etc. They also just hosted Barrister's Ball, "Law Prom". I didn't go, but I heard it was fun. (and had an open bar)

3) I'm not sure I'm personally aware of any of my classmates living in the Knox Henderson area. I live in lower uptown a few blocks south of West Village and I love it. I never get on the highway to get to class (I take Cole/Mckinney back and forth) and it's about a 10 minute commute everyday. I never have to fight traffic, but I do have to go through a few school zones, which slows me down a bit. Anyway from what I've seen people either live in "The Village" up north off Greenville or In Uptown around where I am. I went here for undergrad too so If anyone has any more questions regarding where to live lemme know. I've lived in 5 different places in 5 years.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
str038 wrote:Long time first time. Most likely I'll be starting up at SMU this fall, full time program. I've got a couple questions for any current students still checking this thread.

Current 1L here.

1) I'm not entirely educated on how SMU places in Houston. However OCS just had a little meeting with the Dean's List kids (top 25%) and explained to us that there is a separate Houston OCI program in the fall, where OCS pays for lodging in Houston for a night or two while big Houston firms interview those who are selected to interview. I've also know a few 2Ls and 3Ls landing Houston midlaw/biglaw jobs. But again, I'm not sure on averages or anything.

2) Social scene is good. There is always a group who goes out, obviously more towards the beginning of the semester. The law school hosts plenty of bar events and you will always be able to find people to go out in uptown, etc. They also just hosted Barrister's Ball, "Law Prom". I didn't go, but I heard it was fun. (and had an open bar)

3) I'm not sure I'm personally aware of any of my classmates living in the Knox Henderson area. I live in lower uptown a few blocks south of West Village and I love it. I never get on the highway to get to class (I take Cole/Mckinney back and forth) and it's about a 10 minute commute everyday. I never have to fight traffic, but I do have to go through a few school zones, which slows me down a bit. Anyway from what I've seen people either live in "The Village" up north off Greenville or In Uptown around where I am. I went here for undergrad too so If anyone has any more questions regarding where to live lemme know. I've lived in 5 different places in 5 years.

I think there were around four hands that went up when she asked about the Houston thing.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Yeah but i think people will reconsider.
Last edited by mbusch22 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”