SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
waketiger

Re: SMU 2011

Postby waketiger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Just went from Held for Further Review - 2/10/2011 to Application Complete 3/23/2011. I am officially freaking out/worried...

renee88

Postby renee88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:09 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
RightPrice wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:Oh, SMU is my first choice, and I think I'm gonna give them a call today.

let us know how that phone call goes. Hopefully it is more impactful than sometime late April to early May!

So I just called the Admissions Office, and they told me late April/early May. The only other thing they said was to send a LOCI, which I did when I was held. So yeah.

Lame. They're so slow!

When I called the other day, they said they're behind because they had a lot of snow days this year. ;) In all fairness, I'm sure Dallas is not equipped with much snow removal gear, but that is kind of a lame reason. (I may be biased.. I live in Wisconsin).

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Do any of you SMU students have opinions on the Oxford summer program? Is that the sort of experience that anyone would care about, or is it more of a glorified vacation? I ask because as a part time student, I could structure my summers something like - 1E/Oxford, 2E/typical 1L gig, 3E/SA position.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:20 pm

renee88 wrote:
When I called the other day, they said they're behind because they had a lot of snow days this year. ;) In all fairness, I'm sure Dallas is not equipped with much snow removal gear, but that is kind of a lame reason. (I may be biased.. I live in Wisconsin).

Personally, I have no knowledge of Dallas' snow preparedness. But I will say that it has snowed one time in my whole life here in my hometown in Central/Southern California. It was 1999 and we only got about 2/3 of an inch, but the whole city (I'm not joking) shut down. Once I got to my undergrad in Ohio I realized how completely absurd that was.

I can see this happening in Dallas, to a lesser degree! :) But still, it's frustrating!!!

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:23 pm

swilson215 wrote:
renee88 wrote:

Personally, I have no knowledge of Dallas' snow preparedness. But I will say that it has snowed one time in my whole life here in my hometown in Central/Southern California. It was 1999 and we only got about 2/3 of an inch, but the whole city (I'm not joking) shut down. Once I got to my undergrad in Ohio I realized how completely absurd that was.

I can see this happening in Dallas, to a lesser degree! :) But still, it's frustrating!!!

Remember, the entire state of Texas was shut down the whole week before the Super Bowl because of some snow/ice.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

renee88 wrote:When I called the other day, they said they're behind because they had a lot of snow days this year. ;) In all fairness, I'm sure Dallas is not equipped with much snow removal gear, but that is kind of a lame reason. (I may be biased.. I live in Wisconsin).

In Dallas' defense it wasn't the snow, but the ice. It was a freak weather situation where was 50 degrees, it rained an inch or two, and then it dropped into the 20s and then the teens in a matter of hours. It didn't get freezing for almost a week so the ice never had a chance to melt.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Just finished interviewing for the Sarah T Hughes. I have to quit replaying my answers in my head. Did anyone else on TLS interview?

Edit: fat finger iPhone fail
Last edited by ArchRoark on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Saw this on ATL today. FWIW it shows median starting pay in private sector for SMU at 80k, UT at 83k, Houston at 78k, and Baylor at 75k.

http://blogs.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen/2011/03/23/law-school-graduates-do-not-make-160000/

edit: added link

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 pm

fathergoose wrote:Saw this on ATL today. FWIW it shows median starting pay in private sector for SMU at 80k, UT at 83k, Houston at 78k, and Baylor at 75k.

http://blogs.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen/2011/03/23/law-school-graduates-do-not-make-160000/

more evidence that USNWR under-ranks SMU.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 pm

fathergoose wrote:Saw this on ATL today. FWIW it shows median starting pay in private sector for SMU at 80k, UT at 83k, Houston at 78k, and Baylor at 75k.

Just saw this. Interesting... SMU's 80k is also ahead of:

Emory
Notre Dame
BU
W&L
WUSTL
UNC
Wake Forest

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

ebo wrote:

Emory
Notre Dame
BU
W&L
WUSTL
UNC
Wake Forest

Great, it is in a dead tie with Rutgers! How wonderful since that's my other top contender, at the moment. This decision is a real pain in the neck.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Justathought wrote:
ebo wrote:

Emory
Notre Dame
BU
W&L
WUSTL
UNC
Wake Forest

Great, it is in a dead tie with Rutgers! How wonderful since that's my other top contender, at the moment. This decision is a real pain in the neck.

Where do you want to live? If it's NY/NJ/Northeast, then go Rutgers, SMU won't do you any favors up there. If you want TX, then SMU is the better choice

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm

ebo wrote:
Justathought wrote:
ebo wrote:

Emory
Notre Dame
BU
W&L
WUSTL
UNC
Wake Forest

Where do you want to live? If it's NY/NJ/Northeast, then go Rutgers, SMU won't do you any favors up there. If you want TX, then SMU is the better choice

Still deciding. I like the idea of no state income tax and a much lower cost of living, but NYC is home to friends and family.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Justathought wrote:Great, it is in a dead tie with Rutgers! How wonderful since that's my other top contender, at the moment. This decision is a real pain in the neck.

Not trying to influence your decision, but I would bet that 80k in Dallas goes a bit further than 80k in New York.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Justathought wrote:Still deciding. I like the idea of no state income tax and a much lower cost of living, but NYC is home to friends and family

Have you spent much time in Texas? I'm not from there and I love it, but you definitely need to spend some considerable time there before making such a decision...It's not for everyone

-Captain Obvious

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 pm

ebo wrote:
Justathought wrote:Still deciding. I like the idea of no state income tax and a much lower cost of living, but NYC is home to friends and family

Have you spent much time in Texas? I'm not from there and I love it, but you definitely need to spend some considerable time there before making such a decision...It's not for everyone

-Captain Obvious

+1

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Justathought wrote:Great, it is in a dead tie with Rutgers! How wonderful since that's my other top contender, at the moment. This decision is a real pain in the neck.

Not trying to influence your decision, but I would bet that 80k in Dallas goes a bit further than 80k in New York.

Exactly, and although I consider both schools to be underrated, Rutgers seems to be heavily focused on Public interest, whereas SMU seems focused on private practice. The latter is more appealing to me. Finally, I don't like that Rutgers is tied to the state for funding. I don't trust that. I see they have a high student faculty ratio, I see don't really spend on student focused programs the way SMU does, and that concerns me.

Still, its a full time option, and its in an area I love. So the decision is tough.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:34 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Just finished interviewing for the Sarah T Hughes. I her to quick replaying my answers on my head. Did anyone else on TLS interview?

I applied, but didn't make the finalists, apparently :( Well, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 pm

ebo wrote:

-Captain Obvious

Never been to Dallas; I did spend some time in Houston, and although I know its very different from Dallas, I enjoyed the city quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I would be okay with Dallas long term. I love warmer weather, and the city, from what I've gathered, seems very welcoming and sufficiently diverse - in terms of social activities.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:11 pm

renee88 wrote:When I called the other day, they said they're behind because they had a lot of snow days this year. ;) In all fairness, I'm sure Dallas is not equipped with much snow removal gear, but that is kind of a lame reason. (I may be biased.. I live in Wisconsin).

The entire city was shut down for a week. Then a couple days the next week, as well.

No joke.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 pm

mbusch22 wrote:

more evidence that USNWR under-ranks SMU.

They certainly do. Though I do think Dallas is a little harder to rank, since it has a more in-between market. Other places seem to be either $160K or $45K with very little in-between. Dallas seems to have a lot in that $75K - $100K area.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Justathought wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Exactly, and although I consider both schools to be underrated, Rutgers seems to be heavily focused on Public interest, whereas SMU seems focused on private practice. The latter is more appealing to me. Finally, I don't like that Rutgers is tied to the state for funding. I don't trust that. I see they have a high student faculty ratio, I see don't really spend on student focused programs the way SMU does, and that concerns me.

Still, its a full time option, and its in an area I love. So the decision is tough.

I will say that, regardless of what you want to do (public or private), Dallas seems to pay pretty well, and the money goes further here.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 pm

swilson215 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Just finished interviewing for the Sarah T Hughes. I her to quick replaying my answers on my head. Did anyone else on TLS interview?

I applied, but didn't make the finalists, apparently :( Well, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Thanks!

Damn my post was horrendous. Fat finger iphone posting while trying to catch a flight never ends well.

sceva31st

Postby sceva31st » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Just got home from the ASD for evening students. The campus is really really nice and so were the people I sat with.

renee88

Postby renee88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 pm

kalvano wrote:

The entire city was shut down for a week. Then a couple days the next week, as well.

No joke.

I understand; my Dad lives near Dallas. I was just mentioning it for people who are waiting, and because after waiting since November, it just wasn't the explanation I was expecting to hear. Truly not trying to knock the city of Dallas for something for which they understandably unprepared... just poking fun as a resident of the miserable northern Midwest. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”