SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm

withdrawing today 8)

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Everyone withdraw and go somewhere with P/F legal writing.

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby renee88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:01 pm

I called them today... I've been waiting since November with no "application completed" thing yet. They said I'd know by late April.

Oh, SMU. I hope you're worth this anxiety!

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 pm

kalvano wrote:Everyone withdraw and go somewhere with P/F legal writing.

That bad, huh? I think I remember reading in one of the earlier threads that legal writing as a class takes up an exorbitant amount of 1L time, right?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:14 pm

ebo wrote:That bad, huh? I think I remember reading in one of the earlier threads that legal writing as a class takes up an exorbitant amount of 1L time, right?

The brief is just awful. And now we get to do moot court with a partner who can point out all the misplaced periods and improper citations.

Awesome.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Has anyone been able to find on the SMU website the total cost of attendance? All I am finding when I search is the current tuition rate.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:02 pm

.
Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Has anyone been able to find on the SMU website the total cost of attendance? All I am finding when I search is the current tuition rate.

COA estimates are listed here.

Tyty, google fail'd. :oops:

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Would begging for an admit be poor form at this point? I've got some deposit deadlines coming up, and I'm wondering if the time for begging has come...

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Would begging for an admit be poor form at this point? I've got some deposit deadlines coming up, and I'm wondering if the time for begging has come...


I wouldn't Jacket. Play it cool, schools like that. They're just like girls in that way.





I'm actually serious.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm

If you insist, send this exact letter:


To SMU,

Hey, you going to be in Dallas this August? I'm in town and I was thinking maybe I'd stop by for some law classes. My schedule is pretty hectic, so I'm not sure I'll have time, but its something to consider.

Jacket






(Okay, that post was less serious. Good luck Jacket.)

Edit: typo
Last edited by Justathought on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Justathought wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:Would begging for an admit be poor form at this point? I've got some deposit deadlines coming up, and I'm wondering if the time for begging has come...


I wouldn't Jacket. Play it cool, schools like that. They're just like girls in that way.





I'm actually serious.

Yeah, I'm just panicky about the deposit deadlines coming up. I would really rather not send $100-200 to a school that I won't be attending.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Justathought wrote:If you insist, send this exact letter:


To SMU,

Hey, you going to be in Dallas this August? I'm town and I was thinking maybe I'd stop by for some law classes. My schedule is pretty hectic, so I'm not sure I'll have time, but its something to consider.

Jacket






(Okay, that post was less serious. Good luck Jacket.)

I like this.

User avatar
OklahomasOK
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 pm

...still waiting :(

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Can I ask to be considered for PT after being denied for FT? Sorry if this was already asked but thanks for any help!!

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby sceva31st » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

So I'll be at the dinner tomorrow night. Any other part timers on TLS gonna be there? We need a secret handshake or something. lol

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:31 pm

sceva31st wrote:So I'll be at the dinner tomorrow night. Any other part timers on TLS gonna be there? We need a secret handshake or something. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0g27yEu ... re=related

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby sceva31st » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
sceva31st wrote:So I'll be at the dinner tomorrow night. Any other part timers on TLS gonna be there? We need a secret handshake or something. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0g27yEu ... re=related

LOL I guess Ill be up all night practicing....

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Would begging for an admit be poor form at this point? I've got some deposit deadlines coming up, and I'm wondering if the time for begging has come...



I wouldn't think it poor form to call and explain that SMU is your first choice (if it is), but you have other schools that are about to start requiring deposits, and you would appreciate an update.

Don't let the student who answers the phone bullshit you. Push a little for information.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am

kalvano wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:Would begging for an admit be poor form at this point? I've got some deposit deadlines coming up, and I'm wondering if the time for begging has come...



I wouldn't think it poor form to call and explain that SMU is your first choice (if it is), but you have other schools that are about to start requiring deposits, and you would appreciate an update.

Don't let the student who answers the phone bullshit you. Push a little for information.

Oh, SMU is my first choice, and I think I'm gonna give them a call today.

User avatar
scutarius
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby scutarius » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 am

anni wrote:Can I ask to be considered for PT after being denied for FT? Sorry if this was already asked but thanks for any help!!


Most schools will not let you apply for PT after being denied for FT. Some schools allow you to apply for PT after being Held or WLed for FT. I would call the SMU admissions office. However, you should know that once your are in PT, it is not as easy to transfer from PT to FT at SMU as it is at some other other schools.

Good Luck...

User avatar
legalprincess
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby legalprincess » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 am

anni wrote:Can I ask to be considered for PT after being denied for FT? Sorry if this was already asked but thanks for any help!!

SMU allowed me to be considered for PT, though I hadn't yet been denied for FT (I asked to be considered for PT after my EA application was held). They're pretty relaxed about that, so give them a call and ask.

RightPrice
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby RightPrice » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am

jacketman03 wrote:Oh, SMU is my first choice, and I think I'm gonna give them a call today.

let us know how that phone call goes. Hopefully it is more impactful than sometime late April to early May!

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm

RightPrice wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:Oh, SMU is my first choice, and I think I'm gonna give them a call today.

let us know how that phone call goes. Hopefully it is more impactful than sometime late April to early May!

So I just called the Admissions Office, and they told me late April/early May. The only other thing they said was to send a LOCI, which I did when I was held. So yeah.

User avatar
RaspberryBeret
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby RaspberryBeret » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:42 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
RightPrice wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:Oh, SMU is my first choice, and I think I'm gonna give them a call today.

let us know how that phone call goes. Hopefully it is more impactful than sometime late April to early May!

So I just called the Admissions Office, and they told me late April/early May. The only other thing they said was to send a LOCI, which I did when I was held. So yeah.



Lame. They're so slow!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, grandpapy360, Jgats, Leliana, mmengden, mudiverse, pizzagoblin, Question12345, Rio123, tinafeyclone and 16 guests