SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
Justathought wrote:I'm really going to be out of style in Texas. Seriously, you will spot me across the room and say, "who the hell let in the NYer?"

Like, I don't even know what half these things are, but I'm certain I don't have them.



Do you have a pair of regular shorts and a tee-shirt and some flip-flops?

You'll be fine.


Negative on the flip-flops. The rest I can supply.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Justathought wrote:I'm really going to be out of style in Texas. Seriously, you will spot me across the room and say, "who the hell let in the NYer?"

Like, I don't even know what half these things are, but I'm certain I don't have them.

Edit: Granted I don't care, I take off my skinny jeans and beat up converse for no one!

Image

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Justathought wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Justathought wrote:I'm really going to be out of style in Texas. Seriously, you will spot me across the room and say, "who the hell let in the NYer?"

Like, I don't even know what half these things are, but I'm certain I don't have them.



Do you have a pair of regular shorts and a tee-shirt and some flip-flops?

You'll be fine.


Negative on the flip-flops. The rest I can supply.



Converse are fine.


If I see you wearing skinny jeans, I will punch you square in the pancreas. No one should wear those atrocities.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 pm

kalvano wrote:If I see you wearing skinny jeans, I will punch you square in the pancreas. No one should wear those atrocities.

You must have already assaulted a fair amount of the male undergraduates then

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 pm

ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:If I see you wearing skinny jeans, I will punch you square in the pancreas. No one should wear those atrocities.

You must have already assaulted a fair amount of the male undergraduates then


I don't doubt that.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 pm

ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:If I see you wearing skinny jeans, I will punch you square in the pancreas. No one should wear those atrocities.

You must have already assaulted a fair amount of the male undergraduates then



I never really leave the law quad. I don't live near campus.


But seriously - even the hottest girl I've ever seen immediately becomes akin to a troll living under a bridge if she dons those things.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Converse ftw

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Missouri and Minnesota are sort of like skinny jeans to me right now.

0L's - briefs suck.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23858
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
betasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:I think that's true, but the blinding pastel colors in his shirts make it hard to tell.

lolol


Kiss my ass :evil:



That's OK. You have fashion sense at least. I wear nothing but jeans / shorts and cheap blank tee-shirts.


I have a huge collection of lime green and hot pink polos, so grabbing one is like putting on a t-shirt to me. I rarely even iron them anymore.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 pm

kalvano wrote:Missouri and Minnesota are sort of like skinny jeans to me right now.

0L's - briefs suck.

Haha best

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Longhorn88 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:53 am

kalvano wrote:
Justathought wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Justathought wrote:I'm really going to be out of style in Texas. Seriously, you will spot me across the room and say, "who the hell let in the NYer?"

Like, I don't even know what half these things are, but I'm certain I don't have them.



Do you have a pair of regular shorts and a tee-shirt and some flip-flops?

You'll be fine.


Negative on the flip-flops. The rest I can supply.



Converse are fine.


If I see you wearing skinny jeans, I will punch you square in the pancreas. No one should wear those atrocities.



On the other end of the spectrum, wannabe frat stars who wear ties w/ baseball caps deserve an immediate Chuck Norris to the trachea.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 am

Ok, this settles it...I'll be the guy at orientation in skinny jeans and a button down and tie with a baseball cap on.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23858
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 am

ebo wrote:Ok, this settles it...I'll be the guy at orientation in skinny jeans and a button down and tie with a baseball cap on.


You should wear a d-bag cycling cap.

Image

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Reasons to go to SMU: dry hands, water conservation, good relationship with home improvement stores, hot, ditzy undergrads. I'm sold.

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby anni » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Dinged yesterday via status checker :(

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:10 pm

anni wrote:Dinged yesterday via status checker :(


Shoot, sorry to hear that.

annelise88
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby annelise88 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 pm

anni wrote:Dinged yesterday via status checker :(


Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear that! Bizarre too, since your numbers were high enough. ?!

Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby nouseforaname123 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 am

I'm sorry to drag up something from 10 pages back, but I want to clarify something for the 0L's considering SMU as USNWR just released clerkship data.

bergg007 wrote:
*horrible clerkship percentages* 2% compared to UT's 11% Emory's 6% and Vandy's 8% even Houston and Baylor beat it for clerkships.



http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/article-iii-clerks-rankings/page+2

A sample of a few schools.

Percent employed in a judicial clerkship by an Article III federal judge

Emory - 5.7%
IUB - 4.7%
GW - 4.0%
SMU - 4.0%
Tulane - 4.0%
Baylor - 2.6%
Houston - 2.0%

I'm not going to suggest that anybody should come to SMU banking on an Art. III clerkship but your chances at SMU are not horrible relative to other schools you may be considering. They seem to be about the same.

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby sceva31st » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 am

application status updated from Application Completed 1/6 to Application Completed 3/17

edit: I just got the acceptance phone call! :D

RightPrice
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby RightPrice » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm

sceva31st wrote:application status updated from Application Completed 1/6 to Application Completed 3/17

edit: I just got the acceptance phone call! :D


Awesome! Would you mind sharing your numbers? Also are you full or part time.

waketiger
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:27 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby waketiger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:58 pm

RightPrice wrote:
sceva31st wrote:application status updated from Application Completed 1/6 to Application Completed 3/17

edit: I just got the acceptance phone call! :D


Awesome! Would you mind sharing your numbers? Also are you full or part time.


+1

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23858
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 pm

sceva31st wrote:application status updated from Application Completed 1/6 to Application Completed 3/17

edit: I just got the acceptance phone call! :D


Congrats!!!

Also, I'm shocked that they're in the office during spring break.

ZSR10
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ZSR10 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 pm

still waiting to hear back...tried scrolling through the thread to see what numbers had gotten in but there is wayyyyyy too much for that haha.

163, 3.37, strong resume, currently working in the oil and gas area doing paralegal esque stuff as well as Real Estate. Thoughts?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:12 pm

ZSR10 wrote:still waiting to hear back...tried scrolling through the thread to see what numbers had gotten in but there is wayyyyyy too much for that haha.

163, 3.37, strong resume, currently working in the oil and gas area doing paralegal esque stuff as well as Real Estate. Thoughts?


Full time and non-urm? If yes, I would say WL/in
Part-time and non-urm? If yes, I would say in w/ money
Full time and urm? If yes, I would say in. No idea on money
Part-time and urm? If yes, I would say in w/ money

I'm part-time, and was accepted in early March. Stats are 2.4/164/urm. In w/ 9k per year.
Hope this helps. Just my best guess.

ZSR10
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ZSR10 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 pm

full time non URM.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hip to be Square, longsh0305, SevenSeven77 and 12 guests