SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:52 pm

deliriousxix wrote:this thread is providing me great entertainment at work right now :) thanks guys.

This thread is so much better than working on our brief.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 pm

kalvano wrote:
deliriousxix wrote:this thread is providing me great entertainment at work right now :) thanks guys.

This thread is so much better than working. period.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 pm

swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I spend 75% of my time at work on TLS. I probably am socially awkward and naive. And the anonymous muckraking does make me feel better.

I think there's too much bad blood between me and SMU now. I will withdraw by the end of the week.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:15 pm

bartleby wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I spend 75% of my time at work on TLS. I probably am socially awkward and naive. And the anonymous muckraking does make me feel better.

I think there's too much bad blood between me and SMU now. I will withdraw by the end of the week.

Sorry, can I request a showdown at high noon during an admitted students event, instead? As you know Bart, I'm from NY and naturally assume this sort of stuff still goes on in Texas.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Nah, we're generally nice and polite. Until the boot comes out :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:28 pm

bartleby wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Good luck at UGA (no sarcasm). The in-state tuition for your 2L and 3L years is a sweet deal, and I've heard that the girls out there are hot.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:29 pm

kalvano wrote:This thread is so much better than working on our brief.

I couldn't agree more. Thankfully less than 5 days until its done and over with.

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:30 pm

bartleby wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Have you visited SMU yet? If not, I would recommend that you do before making a final decision.

JRDallas11

Postby JRDallas11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:40 pm

bartleby wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

*Enters sandbox*

Well, you started it.

*Kicks sand in bartleby's face for good measure and leaves sandbox again*

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 pm

betasteve wrote:I just want to stop in to throw around my dallas biglaw summer slang. And I will thank SMU for getting me there.

Where the hell have you been? Look, just because there are other SMU students about to answer questions doesn't mean you can abdicate responsibility.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:18 pm

kalvano wrote:Where the hell have you been? Look, just because there are other SMU students about to answer questions doesn't mean you can abdicate responsibility.

Word

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm

kalvano wrote:For what it's worth, I want a clerkship and to do public interest law. I get looked at funny by Career Services for these goals.

"Wait, you don't want to work for Vinson & Elkins or Jackson-Walker? We aren't sure what to do with you, strange creature. Begone from our sight and make hearty use of the Internet to answer thine queries."

Could you touch on this some more? Now that you're there, do you think SMU can get you where you want to go with that, and is there much opportunity in Dallas for public interest?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:48 pm

betasteve wrote:My bad? I sorry?

What questions remain champs?

I was simply mocking you to avoid working on my brief.

betasteve wrote:Oh... Having a decent idea of the makeup of most of the biglaw summer classes talking to friends... if you want dallas, you need to be at UT, SMU or a T14 with ties.

The problem with employment and my year is not that the big firms hired elsewhere, it's that they drastically cut their class size. Piecing together the last three years, here is the trend: 2 years ago, they had big class sizes, but shitty offer rates. Everyone was up in arms... as they should be. There is no 3L OCI. Last year (the people about to graduation), they shrunk the class size, but generally have really high offer rates. My year, it looks like they slightly expanded class sizes, cautiously optimistic about the coming years. I think we will see another year of high offer rates. For the current 1Ls, I'm hearing good signs. There are 1Ls getting money summer spots at big firms, which was unheard of last year - even for the absolute top of the class. I think we will see bigger classes for the current 1Ls come 2L OCI. And for incoming 0Ls, assuming nothing else changes, I think we will see similar gains.

Sounds good to me.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:51 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
kalvano wrote:For what it's worth, I want a clerkship and to do public interest law. I get looked at funny by Career Services for these goals.

"Wait, you don't want to work for Vinson & Elkins or Jackson-Walker? We aren't sure what to do with you, strange creature. Begone from our sight and make hearty use of the Internet to answer thine queries."

Could you touch on this some more? Now that you're there, do you think SMU can get you where you want to go with that, and is there much opportunity in Dallas for public interest?

Absolutely, SMU can provide me what I want. Just because career services isn't public service oriented doesn't mean you don't have good opportunities. The Dallas DA offers many inter and externships. There are two federal districts in the are (Northern and Eastern).

The thing is, most people want some form of business law. There just aren't a whole lot of people jumping up and down to work for the DA. That doesn't mean the opportunities aren't there, and that the places aren't receptive to SMU students. It's just that career services won't be a lot of help in finding stuff.

But there is plenty of chances for public interest.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Also it bears mentioning that in the last 6-8 months the career services office has added a boat load of resources and hired more people to help with the job search. My new counselor lady has been really helpful.

On the downside, there are currently no ceilings in the mens bathrooms in the library. So I guess we take the good with the bad.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:09 pm

They are paying career services people in home remodeling materials.

Also, I'm not really blaming career services. If 99% of the people want business law, then business law is where they need to be focused. I'm not saying they can;t do anything at all for you, but they will mostly point you to websites and such, albeit ones that are specific to law students looking for public interest.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Hey guys, anyone applied part time? Really would like to go to SMU, it's close to home.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

This was touched on a few pages ago, but in general, do you guys feel that part-timers are fairing with regard to employment?

Edit: At guy above me - I might have :wink:

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Justathought wrote:This was touched on a few pages ago, but in general, do you guys feel that part-timers are fairing with regard to employment?

As far as I can tell, you are no different from another JD once you graduate. It's like like they stamp your diploma as "Part-JD."

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:16 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
Justathought wrote:This was touched on a few pages ago, but in general, do you guys feel that part-timers are fairing with regard to employment?

As far as I can tell, you are no different from another JD once you graduate. It's like like they stamp your diploma as "Part-JD."

Yeah, that's whats been said. I guess I need to get over this. :P

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Why o why won't SMU give me a decision yet?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Why o why won't SMU give me a decision yet?

Hey near numbers twin. You're due I say.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Because they are at home depot buying ceiling tiles for the bathrooms in the library. Given how many bathrooms there are in the library I would not expect them to get back to you for a couple of weeks.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 pm

betasteve wrote:

they hate your face.

Well I knew that already. I just wish they would take pity on this poor Aggie.
justathought wrote:Hey near numbers twin. You're due I say.

I would like to think so.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Hey how's the interior of the law school? SMU looks outwardly stunning, but they rarely show the inside of the place! I know there was a slightly heated discussion here on TLS, with regard to the interior of the school, but I'm just curious if its got the same type of charm as the exterior.

Disclaimer: This is not a big selling point to me. Just wondering.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”