SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Thirteen wrote:Also, stop taking shots at our student body. If you're this bothered by what went on this thread, which is tame by TLS standards, I pray that you'll have the nicest boss in the world that only doles out constructive criticism. Otherwise, it seems like you're in for a rude awakening. Like I said earlier, good luck with your decision.

The funny thing is that people are SMU are overwhelmingly nice.

ebo

Postby ebo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 pm

bergg007 wrote:then I saw that someone had said that if you want to be a dallas lawyer, got to SMU. That is patently false. Go to UT for anywhere in texas.

That was for someone deciding between UH and SMU. C'mon man, it wasn't that difficult to follow.

bergg007 wrote:SMU is a very good school but this forum makes me wonder about the experience I would get as a member of the student body. If this is the kind of discourse one could expect in the classes and amongst the students, I would be worried for anyone who does matriculate.

Thanks for helping me with my law school decision.

Really? A few people on a message board enabled you to make this sweeping characterization? SMU has one of the friendliest student bodies anywhere. Sure there's a lot of fake snobby undergrads, but even the girls with three pounds of makeup on their face and the guys driving Hummers with spinning rims will stop to give you directions with a smile. And from my limited experiences the whole stuck-up undergrad culture doesn't exist in the law school- perhaps Kalvano or Thirteen can vouch for this better than I can.

Honestly, I really don't know what you were expecting. You came into this thread acting like a smart-ass ripping on SMU, and people didn't welcome you with open arms? Imagine that. Good luck with Emory, though, it's a great school and apparently a much better choice for you.

JRDallas11

Postby JRDallas11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 pm

@bergg007 - Bless your heart.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 pm

ebo wrote:And from my limited experiences the whole stuck-up undergrad culture doesn't exist in the law school- perhaps Kalvano or Thirteen can vouch for this better than I can.

Definitely true. Even the people I meet who are 21, 22, and driving a Range Rover on daddy's money are super, super nice people.

JRDallas11 wrote:@bergg007 - Bless your heart.

I lol'ed. In fact, I big lol'ed. I blolzed.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
ebo wrote:And from my limited experiences the whole stuck-up undergrad culture doesn't exist in the law school- perhaps Kalvano or Thirteen can vouch for this better than I can.

Definitely true. Even the people I meet who are 21, 22, and driving a Range Rover on daddy's money are super, super nice people.

Yep. I love all of my classmates, even when they joke about my old age or unpreparedness for class :lol: . I can think of maaaaybe one person that is stuck up in our section of ~95, but, in the interest of full disclosure, I have heard that we (pretty much every 1L that posts in this thread) have the friendlier section.

For anyone considering SMU or any other school, I would advise you to visit the campus and sit in on a class, then hang out in the common areas and ask current students questions about their experience at the school. Hell, if any of y'all visit SMU, I'll be your informal tour guide for the day (send a PM my way).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 am

Thirteen wrote:Hell, if any of y'all visit SMU, I'll be your informal tour guide for the day (send a PM my way).

I volunteer for this also, assuming you want the guy who was prepared in class.

:lol:

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 am

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Hell, if any of y'all visit SMU, I'll be your informal tour guide for the day (send a PM my way).

I volunteer for this also, assuming you want the guy who was prepared in class.

:lol:

Asshole :lol:

ClutchCity24

Postby ClutchCity24 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 am

Thirteen and Kalvano, will you both be around for the Admitted Students Day on April 1? It would be great to get your thoughts in person.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 am

ClutchCity24 wrote:Thirteen and Kalvano, will you both be around for the Admitted Students Day on April 1? It would be great to get your thoughts in person.

Yeah, I will. I'll be the tall black guy in the pastel polo, Toms/Topsiders, and khaki shorts that rest above the knee. I'll literally be the only person fitting this description, so it won't be hard to find me.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 am

ClutchCity24 wrote:Thirteen and Kalvano, will you both be around for the Admitted Students Day on April 1? It would be great to get your thoughts in person.

Yeah, I'll be there. I normally take off around 12:00, after class is over, but I can stick around. If anyone does want to meet, we'll figure out a better system than just guessing which white dude in shorts and a tee shirt might be the brilliant and suave TLS poster.

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:27 am

Just RSVP'd for the Admitted Students Day on April 1. See y'all in Dallas.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 am

Yay! I'm glad so many TLSers will be at the ASW on April 1! I booked my tickets out from california last week!

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:09 am

Anyone going to the ASW on the 29th?

lokist86

Postby lokist86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 am

I've been away from this thread for a couple of days and it seems like I've missed quite a bit. I'm glad the posters here are not overreacting to the new rankings the same way that the Emory people are. It's seriously a jungle over there.

@Kalv and Thirteen - thanks for always being informative and supportive to your fellow TLSers.

@all other hopeful 1L peers - see you guys on April 1st. :)

JRDallas11

Postby JRDallas11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Alright, so back to acceptance banter. It seems rejections have all been notified by status checker. Those whose status checker changed to "Completed" (along with a date change to that particular day) seem to have all been accepted a few days later by phone call.

To my knowledge, no one has seen the completed change (along with the date change) and then been held or rejected.

A few of us changed to completed on March 10th and no word yet. I know it's Spring Break but my status changed over the weekend which makes me think there is someone working. This is hopeful thinking of course.

Thoughts?

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:46 pm

JRDallas11 wrote:Alright, so back to acceptance banter. It seems rejections have all been notified by status checker. Those whose status checker changed to "Completed" (along with a date change to that particular day) seem to have all been accepted a few days later by phone call.

To my knowledge, no one has seen the completed change (along with the date change) and then been held or rejected.

A few of us changed to completed on March 10th and no word yet. I know it's Spring Break but my status changed over the weekend which makes me think there is someone working. This is hopeful thinking of course.

Thoughts?

I am taking a tour this week and meeting with the admissions counselor so people are definitely working.. I'm not sure though if they are doing decisions this week.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

I went "completed" on 1/31 and still haven't heard one way or the other.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

This thread receives two thumbs up for its recent action. :D

JRDallas11

Postby JRDallas11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Just to clarify, I understand there are people who submitted their apps a while ago and have been "complete" or "completed" since that time (Jan., Feb. etc.) I was in the same boat until the recent date change to March 10th. I would guess those whose completed dates haven't changed are still being reviewed, or have been reviewed and the admissions folks are waiting to make a decision. But for those of us whose status date recently changed, I would assume a decision has been made. Otherwise, why update the date?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm

bergg007 wrote: The article is about the "test drive" program which is a joke.

I hate to jump into this late but this isn't true at all. Apparently this program has done extremely well at placing grads. I think something like 39 out of 40 ended up getting hired on.

Thirteen wrote:I'll be the tall black guy in the pastel polo, Toms/Topsiders, and khaki shorts that rest above the knee. I'll literally be the only person fitting this description, so it won't be hard to find me.

Haha true

Thirteen wrote:For anyone considering SMU or any other school, I would advise you to visit the campus and sit in on a class, then hang out in the common areas and ask current students questions about their experience at the school. Hell, if any of y'all visit SMU, I'll be your informal tour guide for the day (send a PM my way).

Yo tambien.

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Justathought wrote:This thread receives two thumbs up for its recent action. :D

I agree. :D

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:28 pm

So is it safe to assume that the few schools that have been sitting on my app for 2+ months, as deposit deadlines approach I will be waitlisted ? SMU isnt high on my list now because of the lack of movement and expected scholarship, but will there be some flurry of activity as March 31/April 15 approaches?

JRDallas11

Postby JRDallas11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Sandro wrote:So is it safe to assume that the few schools that have been sitting on my app for 2+ months, as deposit deadlines approach I will be waitlisted ? SMU isnt high on my list now because of the lack of movement and expected scholarship, but will there be some flurry of activity as March 31/April 15 approaches?

At this point in the game, if you haven't received a decision and haven't seen any change on your status checker, I personally don't see much difference between "no decision rendered" and being waitlisted. You're not rejected and are simply waiting for a decision, one way or the other.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:42 pm

JRDallas11 wrote:
Sandro wrote:So is it safe to assume that the few schools that have been sitting on my app for 2+ months, as deposit deadlines approach I will be waitlisted ? SMU isnt high on my list now because of the lack of movement and expected scholarship, but will there be some flurry of activity as March 31/April 15 approaches?

At this point in the game, if you haven't received a decision and haven't seen any change on your status checker, I personally don't see much difference between "no decision rendered" and being waitlisted. You're not rejected and are simply waiting for a decision, one way or the other.

Thats what I figured. makes sense, because at this point they have all applications in and presumably have had time to atleast glance at them all.

waketiger

Postby waketiger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Sandro wrote:
JRDallas11 wrote:

Thats what I figured. makes sense, because at this point they have all applications in and presumably have had time to atleast glance at them all.

+1, still held for further decision which I'm taking as a waitlist. Very disappointing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”