SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm

simontemplar wrote:
Justathought wrote:Checking in today. Can anyone who received their admittance letter tell me what the initial packet looks like? Any scholarship information comes in a later packet, right?

Most importantly, is the packet fancy? I'm expecting fancy. :)

its pretty legit

Nice, this is what I like to hear.

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Justathought wrote:
simontemplar wrote:
Justathought wrote:Checking in today. Can anyone who received their admittance letter tell me what the initial packet looks like? Any scholarship information comes in a later packet, right?

its pretty legit

Nice folder, glossy magazine, little course description book, Park'n'Pony brochure, a spread on the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports (which I worked out in when I was there for my hurricane semester-- it's HUGE and awesome), and the admit letter.

I didn't get scholly info in the initial packet, so that makes me nervous. Hopefully they send financial aid soon!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
simontemplar wrote:

its pretty legit

Nice folder, glossy magazine, little course description book, Park'n'Pony brochure, a spread on the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports (which I worked out in when I was there for my hurricane semester-- it's HUGE and awesome), and the admit letter.

I didn't get scholly info in the initial packet, so that makes me nervous. Hopefully they send financial aid soon!

Well the message they left with me said that scholarship information would be sent within two weeks. So I'm thinking, if I get anything, it certainly won't be coming in the initial packet. Seems like it should be the same for you.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:50 pm

how long does it take to get your acceptance packet?? and does anybody know a good way to go about looking for housing? I've looked a little online but I haven't came across a really good site or anything.

frognot

Postby frognot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:52 pm

deliriousxix wrote:how long does it take to get your acceptance packet?? and does anybody know a good way to go about looking for housing? I've looked a little online but I haven't came across a really good site or anything.

What type of housing are you looking for?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 pm

deliriousxix wrote:how long does it take to get your acceptance packet?? and does anybody know a good way to go about looking for housing? I've looked a little online but I haven't came across a really good site or anything.

I think it took me about 3 days to receive mine once there was confirmation that they had been sent (I got accepted right before the snowpocalypse). I'm in California.

As far as housing goes, I know that in last year's thread a lot of people mentioned using (and being happy with) one particular real estate locator service, but the name escapes me. I would go back and look. Apartment locator services are good because you don't have to pay them and a lot of times you can get a bonus for using them (no move-in costs, one month free rent, a free tv, etc.).

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 pm

The message SMU left on Tuesday said they would be sending the packet out the following day. So I'm hoping it gets here tomorrow or Saturday. I guess Saturday or even Monday is more likely - but I have no idea, the mail is a mystery to me.

mcnabb5

Postby mcnabb5 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 pm

As far as housing goes, I just got a place lined up near SMU starting in August earlier this week. A friend of mine referred me to a realtor named Sam Sawyer and he was great to work with- very knowledgeable and eager to help me find the right spot. He went to SMU and knows the surrounding area very well, and I was able to find a place not too far away from campus (up on M Streets off Greenville Ave) that was still affordable on my limited budget- I highly recommend him.

--LinkRemoved--

Is anyone planning on coming down for any of the ASWs? If you've already committed to SMU, does it make much sense to do so?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

mcnabb5 wrote:As far as housing goes, I just got a place lined up near SMU starting in August earlier this week. A friend of mine referred me to a realtor named Sam Sawyer and he was great to work with- very knowledgeable and eager to help me find the right spot. He went to SMU and knows the surrounding area very well, and I was able to find a place not too far away from campus (up on M Streets off Greenville Ave) that was still affordable on my limited budget- I highly recommend him.

--LinkRemoved--

Is anyone planning on coming down for any of the ASWs? If you've already committed to SMU, does it make much sense to do so?

Welcome to TLS, Sam Sawyer

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm

bartleby wrote:
mcnabb5 wrote:As far as housing goes, I just got a place lined up near SMU starting in August earlier this week. A friend of mine referred me to a realtor named Sam Sawyer and he was great to work with- very knowledgeable and eager to help me find the right spot. He went to SMU and knows the surrounding area very well, and I was able to find a place not too far away from campus (up on M Streets off Greenville Ave) that was still affordable on my limited budget- I highly recommend him.

--LinkRemoved--

I thought this too, but w/e, I'll need someone to help me find a place!

Edit: Actually, think this will be pretty helpful, and judging from the poster's history, he's likely not Sam. :lol:

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Justathought wrote:
bartleby wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I thought this too, but w/e, I'll need someone to help me find a place!

Edit: Actually, think this will be pretty helpful, and judging from the poster's history, he's likely not Sam. :lol:

haha, i was kidding

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm

bartleby wrote:
haha, i was kidding

Everything on TLS must be viewed with a heavy dose of cynicism. Clearly Sam has created this TLS account, researched the admissions process, posted his various law school related thoughts, and now is reaping the rewards in the SMU real estate market!

Clever Sam, but we are wise to this game!

annelise88

Postby annelise88 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 am

has anyone started on the optional reading?!

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:51 am

frognot wrote:

I'm looking for a one bedroom, one bath. Something younger and close to campus.. and <$900! Apparently this is hard to find! hahah..

Thanks for yall's help.. I think I'm going to try to set up an appointment with Sam Sawyer :)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:01 pm

frognot wrote:

I'm going to wait till I get the scholarship packet before making my final decision, but I'm pretty set on SMU right now. I think I'll look for a 2 bedroom to share. Usually, you get more for your money when you have a roommate, and I don't know anyone in Dallas, so a roommate would potentially have added social positives.

Also, since I do most of my studying in the library, and since I can sleep through pretty much any type of noise, I'm pretty lax on my standards. As long as you're not in total undergrad frat-boy mode, I'm pretty sure I can deal. :lol:

Nothing against frats mind you, I was president of Sigma Nu at my university, but I'm a bit more mellow these days.

avery87

Postby avery87 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Still waiting to go complete after Feb LSAT. Thoughts on whether there is any scholarship money left at this point??

ebo

Postby ebo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Justathought wrote:Nothing against frats mind you, I was president of Sigma Nu at my university, but I'm a bit more mellow these days.

Loser. Who's getting blackout five nights a week with me?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Justathought wrote:
frognot wrote:

I'm going to wait till I get the scholarship packet before making my final decision, but I'm pretty set on SMU right now. I think I'll look for a 2 bedroom to share. Usually, you get more for your money when you have a roommate, and I don't know anyone in Dallas, so a roommate would potentially have added social positives.

Also, since I do most of my studying in the library, and since I can sleep through pretty much any type of noise, I'm pretty lax on my standards. As long as you're not in total undergrad frat-boy mode, I'm pretty sure I can deal. :lol:

Nothing against frats mind you, I was president of Sigma Nu at my university, but I'm a bit more mellow these days.

+1. If I end up going (about 75% sure at this time), then I'll probably focus on a nice two bedroom and get a roommate. What areas would Dallas natives suggest looking in for something safe and close(ish) to campus, but reasonably-priced?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 pm

I think I'm just going to withdraw. Just sitting on my app and missing out on $$ , why doesnt SMU just reject/WL me instead of keeping me on complete for 2 months ?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Sandro wrote:I think I'm just going to withdraw. Just sitting on my app and missing out on $$ , why doesnt SMU just reject/WL me instead of keeping me on complete for 2 months ?

I think I've seen your numbers somewhere before. I'm thinking you're going to get in, and I'm thinking you'll get some money. You should wait it out if you have any interest in attending.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm leaning toward SMU over UGA and UH.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm

bartleby wrote:I'm leaning toward SMU over UGA and UH.

:D

timmah427

Postby timmah427 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
frognot wrote:

+1. If I end up going (about 75% sure at this time), then I'll probably focus on a nice two bedroom and get a roommate. What areas would Dallas natives suggest looking in for something safe and close(ish) to campus, but reasonably-priced?

Take a look at the Village Apartments across the freeway and a couple of exits north of campus. They have different complexes ranging from seedy to really nice. I love my complex, the Dakota. I'm guessing it's the most expensive, but my roommate and I got an awesome deal, and the amenities are outstanding. There are lots of young people, but no undergrads, which is nice. Westchase and Northbridge are pretty decent too, and They should be cheaper.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm

timmah427 wrote:
Take a look at the Village Apartments across the freeway and a couple of exits north of campus. They have different complexes ranging from seedy to really nice. I love my complex, the Dakota. I'm guessing it's the most expensive, but my roommate and I got an awesome deal, and the amenities are outstanding. There are lots of young people, but no undergrads, which is nice. Westchase and Northbridge are pretty decent too, and They should be cheaper.

Here's a silly question: I'm from NYC, and as you know its a very clustered and vertical city. Its also not very warm, unlike Dallas. Since Dallas is a more open city, do a lot of apartment complexes have pools and outdoor spaces? Places to BBQ and such? Just curious, as that's something I'd probably enjoy and search for, if such things are commonplace.
Last edited by Justathought on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm

bartleby wrote:I'm leaning toward SMU over UGA and UH.

Whats your reasoning ? Just asking.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”