SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
ebo wrote:... Tex-Mex food.

Nail on the head, the thing I miss most about Dallas, the variety of dining. I get shivers thinking about the last time I had good tex-mex food... :lol:

I do like fajitas.

+1 in the SMU column.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in this morning. Coming from a Dallas resident (for most of my life), I loved it there. There's nothing the West or East cost has (aside from being on a coast) that Dallas doesn't offer. SMU is such a nice school too.

Seems like everyone admitted was admitted PT so far, any full time admittances this morning? I'm hoping for a phonecall!

Any FT admits? Dying here. Want to pick up a Nowitzki jersey instead of a Horford one.

ebo

Postby ebo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Justathought wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:

Nail on the head, the thing I miss most about Dallas, the variety of dining. I get shivers thinking about the last time I had good tex-mex food... :lol:

I do like fajitas.

+1 in the SMU column.

What are everyone's favorite Mexican restaurants in Dallas? Mi Cocina and Rafa's for me
Last edited by ebo on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm

ebo wrote:What are everyone's favorite restaurants in Dallas? Mi Cocina and Rafa's for me

Mi Cocina is great tex-mex, they have awesome tacos del brisket. Ask for rancho-loco sauce (not on menu) next time you go. It's sort of a meaty-chipotle sauce that goes great on chicken or beef.

Bunch of great restaurants along the tollway, Maguires is a pricey ($$$$/$$$$$) steakhouse that has stellar dishes. Balls (close to SMU) has great burgers, very college atmosphere. Gloria's has great el-salvadorian food, and great drinks for happy hour. Contrary to perception, Dallas has very good seafood options. Typically the first place seafood is flown into from the coast is Dallas, so you'll be able to get anything from Alaskan salmon, crawfish, to lobster very fresh. Oceanaire in the Galleria is a great seafood option, but again, very pricey. If you love steaks, there's a row of about 5-6 great steakhouses along DNT: Ruth Chris, 3 Forks, Sullivans, just to name a few. I'm a big fan of Fogo de Chow and Texas de Brazil too (obvious carnivore here). Breadwinners off McKinney is great for brunch (great curve for hangovers). There's more great restaurants popping up in Plano and Frisco too with new entertainment developments. I went to highschool in Plano, so I'd be quick to recommend places in the Shops of Legacy such as RA Sushi, Jasper's, and Halfshells.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Provided I get in to the FT program at SMU, I'll make a list of place to hit up... maybe if a bunch of us end up going to SMU we could get a pub-crawl going to acquaint some of the non-Dallas folk with the area.

simontemplar

Postby simontemplar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:48 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
ebo wrote:What are everyone's favorite restaurants in Dallas? Mi Cocina and Rafa's for me

Mi Cocina is great tex-mex, they have awesome tacos del brisket. Ask for rancho-loco sauce (not on menu) next time you go. It's sort of a meaty-chipotle sauce that goes great on chicken or beef.

Bunch of great restaurants along the tollway, Maguires is a pricey ($$$$/$$$$$) steakhouse that has stellar dishes. Balls (close to SMU) has great burgers, very college atmosphere. Gloria's has great el-salvadorian food, and great drinks for happy hour. Contrary to perception, Dallas has very good seafood options. Typically the first place seafood is flown into from the coast is Dallas, so you'll be able to get anything from Alaskan salmon, crawfish, to lobster very fresh. Oceanaire in the Galleria is a great seafood option, but again, very pricey. If you love steaks, there's a row of about 5-6 great steakhouses along DNT: Ruth Chris, 3 Forks, Sullivans, just to name a few. I'm a big fan of Fogo de Chow and Texas de Brazil too (obvious carnivore here). Breadwinners off McKinney is great for brunch (great curve for hangovers). There's more great restaurants popping up in Plano and Frisco too with new entertainment developments. I went to highschool in Plano, so I'd be quick to recommend places in the Shops of Legacy such as RA Sushi, Jasper's, and Halfshells.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Provided I get in to the FT program at SMU, I'll make a list of place to hit up... maybe if a bunch of us end up going to SMU we could get a pub-crawl going to acquaint some of the non-Dallas folk with the area.

pub-crawl
great idea

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:

+1

That would be a great.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 pm

ebo wrote:
Justathought wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:

I do like fajitas.

+1 in the SMU column.

What are everyone's favorite Mexican restaurants in Dallas? Mi Cocina and Rafa's for me

If you wanna go to Ft. Worth, Uncle Julio's is pretty good.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Ah, SMU will not give me a travel stipend to come down and visit. I just do not think it is in the cards for me to attend SMU.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 pm

SrLaw wrote:Ah, SMU will not give me a travel stipend to come down and visit. I just do not think it is in the cards for me to attend SMU.

But the school has so many pictures of that rotunda on the website! What more do you need?! :wink:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

ebo wrote:What are everyone's favorite Mexican restaurants in Dallas? Mi Cocina and Rafa's for me

Bandito's is just across the street in Snider Plaza, and it's pretty good. Overall, Blue Goose wins it for me. Soft cheese enchiladas and brisket tacos....yummy.

bep244

Postby bep244 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:36 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:

I was just about to mention Gloria's, but you beat me to it. If you're looking for Tex Mex, Matt's Rancho by White Rock Lake is also pretty good and has a nice patio. I love to eat out and Dallas has so many great restaurants to choose from. Uptown, Lovers, Henderson areas all have a ton of places to go. If you're looking for a specific food type, PM me and I'll give you some suggestions.

And as an SMU admit, I would definitely be in for a pub crawl down McKinney or Henderson.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Avatar updated to reflect possibility of New Yorker in Texas.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm

ebo wrote:
Justathought wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:

I do like fajitas.

+1 in the SMU column.

Joe T Garcia's in Ft. Worth.. hands down. Awesome tex-mex, good atmosphere, and pitchers of everclear margaritas

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

These names, they mean nothing to me! I feel so left out.

On another note, the woman who left the message today sounded really friendly. Yep, that's all I have to offer to the thread at this point.

scutarius

Postby scutarius » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:01 pm

In PT via voicemail. :D

The message said scholarships would be decided over the next few weeks and would come in a separate letter.

Time to start looking for a house in University Park.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

scutarius wrote:In PT via voicemail. :D

The message said scholarships would be decided over the next few weeks and would come in a separate letter.

Time to start looking for a house in University Park.

Congrats! You set on SMU?

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Status updated to "Application Complete 3/8/2011" today. Should I expect a decision soon?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 pm

EricBerry wrote:Status updated to "Application Complete 3/8/2011" today. Should I expect a decision soon?

I would think so, the second update seemed to do the trick for a lot of us. I'm betting tomorrow or the next day.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm

application complete or completed? i'm still at completed - 3/2

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:15 pm

bartleby wrote:application complete or completed? i'm still at completed - 3/2

Sorry, it's "Completed". I don't guess there's anything I can deduce from this as far as acceptance/denial/waitlist?

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm "Completed" 1/3, but didn't change to "-ed" until 3/2. I'm applying for the FT program... somewhat unsettling I haven't heard anything.

Looks like today was a big admit day for PT's, maybe tomorrow will be a big day for FT-ers.

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:

I'm "Completed" 1/3, but didn't change to "-ed" until 3/2. I'm applying for the FT program... somewhat unsettling I haven't heard anything.

Looks like today was a big admit day for PT's, maybe tomorrow will be a big day for FT-ers.

+1

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

IN! Just got the phone call for FT :)

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 pm

txsunshine wrote:IN! Just got the phone call for FT :)

CONGRATS!

Could you PM your numbers? Did you go "Completed" 3/2?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”