SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justathought

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
Justathought wrote:Ever since that poster said acceptances were going out Friday and Monday, and then I got a status change on Friday, I'm now obsessively researching SMU.

Since a few SMU students seem to hang around this thread, would anyone mind telling me about the quality of life in Dallas? That's my only concern about SMU, I've been to Texas briefly, and I'm open to starting a career there, but being a guy from NY, it might be a bit of a culture shock.

I like baseball more than football, walking more than driving, I like seeing water occasionally, and the "experience SMU" video on the website ended with a pan out shot of Barbara Bush. I need some info!

What do you want to know? It will be very different from NY. You'll drive more than walk, and it will be hot as hell half the year. Everything will be much, much more spread out than you're used to.

Other than that, you might like parts of it. A lot of restaurants, even more than NYC. Usually something cool to do, and you get student tickets to mavericks, Stars, and I think Rangers games. Not great seats, but cheap.

You can go to White Rock Lake for water, though it won't be quite the same.

There's cool stuff to do. I love the Dallas Aquarium, and the Sixth Floor Museum is pretty cool.

Things will be cheaper here than in NY. Unfortunately, Dallas has a bad habit of tearing down older, cool buildings to make room for yet another Wal-Mart or something like that. But, stuff is cheap. There's a ton of places to shop if you're into that.

Mainly, SMU has some cool stuff around it, or within a 10-15 minute drive. People are friendly at the school, and helpful. It's a pretty campus, and if you're single you can score with undergrad girls all the time.

Thanks, this post really contains a lot of good information. A few other questions: I would be attending part-time, do you know if the OCS would be able to help in finding a 1L law related job? Thoughts on part-time students working in general - I'm sure most do, but do you think it would be wise to just suck it up and go the no work gunner route or just get something as low stress as possible?

Also, I can't find a definitive answer on this anywhere: I don't mind attending part-time for the duration of law school, but is it possible to make the switch to full-time for 2L if I decided on going that route? Obviously both paths have their advantages, but if I couldn't find a somewhat decent job that worked well with the part-time program, I would want to try and get out of there in 3 years.

Finally, though handsome, at age 30 I'm too old to hit on the undergrads. Know any 3Ls? :P

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm a second year evening student.

Justathought wrote:A few other questions: I would be attending part-time, do you know if the OCS would be able to help in finding a 1L law related job? Thoughts on part-time students working in general - I'm sure most do, but do you think it would be wise to just suck it up and go the no work gunner route or just get something as low stress as possible?

Occassionally, specific job postings are sent out by OCS looking for PT students. OCS will not be much help your first semester. They can't talk to you until November or December.

Work vs. no work is a completely personal decision. I think about the half of the evening class is works. IMHO, working forces me to be more efficient in studying.

Justathought wrote:Also, I can't find a definitive answer on this anywhere: I don't mind attending part-time for the duration of law school, but is it possible to make the switch to full-time for 2L if I decided on going that route? Obviously both paths have their advantages, but if I couldn't find a somewhat decent job that worked well with the part-time program, I would want to try and get out of there in 3 years.

It is possible to make a switch. You have to petition the school and you'll be strongly discouraged from doing it. They will try to discourage you by advising you of possible adverse consequences in regards to both LR and OCI. Plenty of people still accelerate graduation.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:I'm a second year evening student.

Justathought wrote:A few other questions: I would be attending part-time, do you know if the OCS would be able to help in finding a 1L law related job? Thoughts on part-time students working in general - I'm sure most do, but do you think it would be wise to just suck it up and go the no work gunner route or just get something as low stress as possible?

Occassionally, specific job postings are sent out by OCS looking for PT students. OCS will not be much help your first semester. They can't talk to you until November or December.

Work vs. no work is a completely personal decision. I think about the half of the evening class is works. IMHO, working forces me to be more efficient in studying.

Justathought wrote:Also, I can't find a definitive answer on this anywhere: I don't mind attending part-time for the duration of law school, but is it possible to make the switch to full-time for 2L if I decided on going that route? Obviously both paths have their advantages, but if I couldn't find a somewhat decent job that worked well with the part-time program, I would want to try and get out of there in 3 years.

It is possible to make a switch. You have to petition the school and you'll be strongly discouraged from doing it. They will try to discourage you by advising you of possible adverse consequences in regards to both LR and OCI. Plenty of people still accelerate graduation.

Wow you guys are exceedingly helpful! Thanks so much for the response.

mcnabb5

Postby mcnabb5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm

So the 2012 US News Rankings will be coming out March 15th...just for fun, any guesses as to whether SMU rises or falls from last year?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:45 pm

mcnabb5 wrote:So the 2012 US News Rankings will be coming out March 15th...just for fun, any guesses as to whether SMU rises or falls from last year?

46th.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/SMUFollies2011
came across that a few days ago, some pretty funny ones in there.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

txadv11 wrote:
mcnabb5 wrote:So the 2012 US News Rankings will be coming out March 15th...just for fun, any guesses as to whether SMU rises or falls from last year?

46th.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

46th.

Nice, a school on the rise. Also, my status checker isn't getting any younger over here, SMU.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:22 pm

They get bumped to T2 and Attanasio freaks out and starts only accepting 168's or better.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Wow. No movement for me after the "Application Completed" action on Thursday.

Might be time to panic.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

bartleby wrote:Wow. No movement for me after the "Application Completed" action on Thursday.

Might be time to panic.

Its official, we're doomed. Either that or we're in tomorrow. One or the other, can't figure it out yet.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 pm

IN! via phone call!!!! :) :)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 pm

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Edit: missed the call btw. Thanks for posting!

guyindfw

Postby guyindfw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm

deliriousxix wrote:IN! via phone call!!!! :) :)

Congrats!! Any talk of scholly?

When did you apply? My numbers are similar to yours.

Justathought wrote:INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Edit: missed the call btw. Thanks for posting!

CONGRATS!

Did your status checker change?
Last edited by guyindfw on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 pm

guyindfw wrote:

x2. When did you get the call?

I'd really like some hometown love.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
guyindfw wrote:

I got the call about 20 min ago and I missed it but they left a message. They said an acceptance package and scholarship info would be in the mail! Applied 12/28 Complete 1/10, but I only applied PT

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm

deliriousxix wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:
guyindfw wrote:

I got the call about 20 min ago and I missed it but they left a message. They said an acceptance package and scholarship info would be in the mail! Applied 12/28 Complete 1/10, but I only applied PT

I applied 1/19. Complete 1/26, and then 3/4. No status checker change as of yet.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:13 pm

I am now convinced I am getting hit by the good old WL.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Justathought wrote:I applied 1/19. Complete 1/26, and then 3/4. No status checker change as of yet.

+1, is SMU your top choice?

frognot

Postby frognot » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

IN!!! PT via phone call

guyindfw

Postby guyindfw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:18 pm

in PT via phone call!!!

I will attend as I work in Dallas.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:19 pm

deliriousxix wrote:
Justathought wrote:I applied 1/19. Complete 1/26, and then 3/4. No status checker change as of yet.

+1, is SMU your top choice?

Yes and No. Yes because, of my choices, I think it is by far and away the best chance I'll have at securing meaningful work at a respected firm. No, because I have other options that are either full time and/or closer to home (NYC).

However, I am very open to living and working in Texas, and SMU seems near unbeatable in Dallas. Thus, despite some reservations, the chance to go to a good school in a region where it is beloved seems to be the obvious choice.

90% sure I'll be a mustang.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in this morning. Coming from a Dallas resident (for most of my life), I loved it there. There's nothing the West or East cost has (aside from being on a coast) that Dallas doesn't offer. SMU is such a nice school too.

Seems like everyone admitted was admitted PT so far, any full time admittances this morning? I'm hoping for a phonecall!

ebo

Postby ebo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in this morning. Coming from a Dallas resident (for most of my life), I loved it there. There's nothing the West or East cost has (aside from being on a coast) that Dallas doesn't offer. SMU is such a nice school too.

+1. East Coast native here who thinks Dallas is awesome. Big city with tons of things to do, but it's much easier to get around than most big cities, and there's no state income tax- can't beat that. Oh, and Tex-Mex food.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:40 pm

ebo wrote:... Tex-Mex food.

Nail on the head, the thing I miss most about Dallas, the variety of dining. I get shivers thinking about the last time I had good tex-mex food... :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”