SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Has anyone else gotten a Sumner's invite?


I got a letter yesterday and just recieved a call from a current student about the interviews.

guyindfw
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby guyindfw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Justathought wrote:
sjlawand88 wrote:I'm PT and my status has not yet changed. From what status did it change? What is your new status?


I believe it was "application complete" on 1/26, and now its "application completed" on 3/4. I could swear they added a "D!" But I might be crazy. :lol:


I am "application complete" updated 3/4 too. Not sure how long more the wait is.

Did anybody who is not EA and applied late (January) get accepted?

Did the status checker change to "in committee" or "under review" or "???" before the result?

User avatar
FutureLitigator27
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby FutureLitigator27 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Justathought wrote:
sjlawand88 wrote:I'm PT and my status has not yet changed. From what status did it change? What is your new status?


I believe it was "application complete" on 1/26, and now its "application completed" on 3/4. I could swear they added a "D!" But I might be crazy. :lol:


I noticed this too, I believe in went to Completed today.

swmswm2011
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swmswm2011 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 pm

So I need some helpful advice.

I'm going crazy waiting! I went complete on 10/27 and am still stuck there! My numbers arent horrible, and I am just starting to get really concerned. Should I call? Just continue to wait? I need to know so I can start to make some actual decisions! ahhhhhhh

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:22 pm

swmswm2011 wrote:So I need some helpful advice.

I'm going crazy waiting! I went complete on 10/27 and am still stuck there! My numbers arent horrible, and I am just starting to get really concerned. Should I call? Just continue to wait? I need to know so I can start to make some actual decisions! ahhhhhhh


Truth be told, my numbers aren't great, 2.4/164/URM applied PT, so it might be good that your checker didn't update today. I am not yet taking this as a sign of admission. :|

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:05 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Has anyone else gotten a Sumner's invite?


I got a letter yesterday and just recieved a call from a current student about the interviews.


F. How did I not get an invite yet? This is a terrible day.

User avatar
frognot
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby frognot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 pm

deliriousxix wrote:Did any PTers have their status updated to today's date??? Because mine just did!

My date changed too! 1/10/11 ---> 3/4/11 I applied for both FT and PT. In the program pulldown I believe it changed from (Full/Part Time) to (Full/Part Time)(JD Evening); I don't remember the JD Evening being there before. In the status box for degree it was blank but now says JD Evening. I am hoping this means I got in the PT evening program. My preference was FT, but I'd be thrilled to be part of the PT class.

162, 3.24

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm really curious about the following statements from the last page of this thread.

ebo wrote:
bartleby wrote:Same. Not sure what this means.

For all of the admitted candidates so far, the status changed to the current date, and then again to "admitted" a day or so later. I believe
those that were held for further review or rejected had their statuses changed directly to that. Take it for what's it worth...




I have it on good authority some acceptances are going out tomorrow and Monday.

Good luck!

kcristina
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kcristina » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 am

Does anyone know stats of past Sumners scholars?

annelise88
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby annelise88 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am

I am "application complete" updated 3/4 too. Not sure how long more the wait is.

Did anybody who is not EA and applied late (January) get accepted?

Did the status checker change to "in committee" or "under review" or "???" before the result?[/quote]


I applied Jan 16 and heard back the 22nd of Feb. My status checker went directly from "Application Completed" to "Admitted".....

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:44 pm

12thman2011 wrote:This is a question for the SMU students on here.

How much freedom do you have to choose electives and how much variety is there in your 2L and 3L years? I went to Texas earlier and there seemed to be a ton of elective options to take with clinics and stuff. Does SMU have a comparable variety?



We haven't gotten a course catalog yet, but you take a lot of courses in 1L, so there are very few remaining mandatory courses to take 2L and 3L. They do seem to have a wide variety of courses available.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:43 pm

.
Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby mbusch22 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:This is a question for the SMU students on here.

How much freedom do you have to choose electives and how much variety is there in your 2L and 3L years? I went to Texas earlier and there seemed to be a ton of elective options to take with clinics and stuff. Does SMU have a comparable variety?



We haven't gotten a course catalog yet, but you take a lot of courses in 1L, so there are very few remaining mandatory courses to take 2L and 3L. They do seem to have a wide variety of courses available.


Lots of variety. But "elective-class variety" should be really far down on your list of priorities in choosing a school.

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Does SMU (or any other schools for that matter) offer additional merit scholarships to students that excelled during 1L?

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Got denied on the Sumners scholly. My numbers aren't that far above median so not totally surprising, I guess. Good luck to the rest.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Got denied on the Sumners scholly. My numbers aren't that far above median so not totally surprising, I guess. Good luck to the rest.

How were you notified? I haven't heard a peep from them.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:36 am

ArchRoark wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:Got denied on the Sumners scholly. My numbers aren't that far above median so not totally surprising, I guess. Good luck to the rest.

How were you notified? I haven't heard a peep from them.

I got the snail mail on Thursday. That's strange considering you're also from TX...might be worth giving them a call if you don't get something by early next week.

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Can anyone help me understand what holds SMU back in the rankings? I just can't understand why USNEWS puts SMU at only 48th. Dallas is an amazing city. The job market is relatively strong. The campus is beautiful. What are they supposedly "lacking" that other schools have? Are rankings just crap? Outside of the T14, wouldn't multiple regionally based ranking systems be exponentially more useful?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:16 pm

simontemplar wrote:Can anyone help me understand what holds SMU back in the rankings? I just can't understand why USNEWS puts SMU at only 48th. Dallas is an amazing city. The job market is relatively strong. The campus is beautiful. What are they supposedly "lacking" that other schools have? Are rankings just crap? Outside of the T14, wouldn't multiple regionally based ranking systems be exponentially more useful?


I have heard the relaxed standards of the part-time program may be partially to blame. Btw, I'm a part-time applicant hoping to get in soon! :P

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Longhorn88 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:38 pm

The rankings have a coastal bias.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Just booked my tickets to Dallas for the ASW on the 1st! SMU has been creeping closer and closer to the top of my list, and I can't wait to see it. Only bummer is that deposits are due the 1st, right?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 pm

ASW is on a Friday. That's weird.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Ever since that poster said acceptances were going out Friday and Monday, and then I got a status change on Friday, I'm now obsessively researching SMU.

Since a few SMU students seem to hang around this thread, would anyone mind telling me about the quality of life in Dallas? That's my only concern about SMU, I've been to Texas briefly, and I'm open to starting a career there, but being a guy from NY, it might be a bit of a culture shock.

I like baseball more than football, walking more than driving, I like seeing water occasionally, and the "experience SMU" video on the website ended with a pan out shot of Barbara Bush. I need some info!

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 pm

There's gonna be an adjustment period, particularly with the commuter-culture. You won't be able to get anywhere without a car, and even then, traffic will make everything take about 20 minutes longer than it should. Although the SMU campus itself is beautiful, the city certainly doesn't have the same aesthetics as NYC or any of the best cities in the NE. Still, there is a certain charm to Texas...the people here are incomparably nice and there's never a shortage of things to do or great places to eat. I think you'll like it.
Last edited by jwmalone87 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Justathought wrote:Ever since that poster said acceptances were going out Friday and Monday, and then I got a status change on Friday, I'm now obsessively researching SMU.

Since a few SMU students seem to hang around this thread, would anyone mind telling me about the quality of life in Dallas? That's my only concern about SMU, I've been to Texas briefly, and I'm open to starting a career there, but being a guy from NY, it might be a bit of a culture shock.

I like baseball more than football, walking more than driving, I like seeing water occasionally, and the "experience SMU" video on the website ended with a pan out shot of Barbara Bush. I need some info!



What do you want to know? It will be very different from NY. You'll drive more than walk, and it will be hot as hell half the year. Everything will be much, much more spread out than you're used to.

Other than that, you might like parts of it. A lot of restaurants, even more than NYC. Get ready for real Tex-Mex food, which is AWESOME. If you go to SMU, check out Blue Goose. Also, lot's of good burger places and steak places.

Usually something cool to do, and you get student tickets to mavericks, Stars, and I think Rangers games. Not great seats, but cheap.

You can go to White Rock Lake for water, though it won't be quite the same.

There's cool stuff to do. I love the Dallas Aquarium, and the Sixth Floor Museum is pretty cool.

Things will be cheaper here than in NY. Unfortunately, Dallas has a bad habit of tearing down older, cool buildings to make room for yet another Wal-Mart or something like that. But, stuff is cheap. There's a ton of places to shop if you're into that.

Mainly, SMU has some cool stuff around it, or within a 10-15 minute drive. People are friendly at the school, and helpful. It's a pretty campus, and if you're single you can score with undergrad girls all the time.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, BACsop, Google [Bot], Long shot hero, MSNbot Media, ProductofUnreality, Pugnax, RamTitan and 26 guests