SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:28 pm

AP-375 wrote:My application compete date just changed from 1/18 to 2/16. Anyone else? Does anyone know what this means? I've got solid SMU numbers, but I'm still very anxious to get the next phase of my life rolling, etc...
This was on my status checker page: "You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither [sic] of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed."

I'm hoping the "initial review" included stuffing a generous scholarship offer into an envelope. Any ideas?


My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:My application compete date just changed from 1/18 to 2/16. Anyone else? Does anyone know what this means? I've got solid SMU numbers, but I'm still very anxious to get the next phase of my life rolling, etc...
This was on my status checker page: "You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither [sic] of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed."

I'm hoping the "initial review" included stuffing a generous scholarship offer into an envelope. Any ideas?


Mine did the same, really hoping for a call today or tomorrow.


Here, we recover from UT Waitlist misery.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 pm

simontemplar wrote:My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.

Well that's good, because my score is directly equal to my current post count, and rising.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23915
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

AP-375 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.

Well that's good, because my score is directly equal to my current post count, and rising.


With that LSAT, you'll be fine. I'd be shocked if you weren't admitted in the next round of admits.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Thirteen wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.

Well that's good, because my score is directly equal to my current post count, and rising.


With that LSAT, you'll be fine. I'd be shocked if you weren't admitted in the next round of admits.


Anyone have ideas on timeframe after date change?

deliriousxix
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby deliriousxix » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Good luck guys! When did you both go complete? I wonder if they did some PT too.. hmmmm

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:41 pm

deliriousxix wrote:Good luck guys! When did you both go complete? I wonder if they did some PT too.. hmmmm

Complete 1/18 --> 2/16

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 pm

AP-375 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.

Well that's good, because my score is directly equal to my current post count, and rising.


With that LSAT, you'll be fine. I'd be shocked if you weren't admitted in the next round of admits.


Anyone have ideas on timeframe after date change?


My status date changed on friday morning 1/28 and then it changed to "admitted" on the following Monday 1/31.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm

It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

SMU is very, very, very into LSAT. That more than GPA determines scholarship money.

And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:37 pm

kalvano wrote:And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.


You get caught on Facebook?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 pm

ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.


You get caught on Facebook?


Ah, no. I did not. I don't use the Facebook. Just sort of a general warning.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23915
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Thirteen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.


You get caught on Facebook?


Ah, no. I did not. I don't use the Facebook. Just sort of a general warning.


Kalvano wasn't the one who got caught :oops:

User avatar
timmah427
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby timmah427 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 pm

kalvano wrote:It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

SMU is very, very, very into LSAT. That more than GPA determines scholarship money.

And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.


Some say that he shakes babies to death if he catches you on facebook during class. All we know is that he's called The Eads.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:44 pm

timmah427 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

SMU is very, very, very into LSAT. That more than GPA determines scholarship money.

And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.


Some say that he shakes babies to death if he catches you on facebook during class. All we know is that he's called The Eads.



While "Eads" is a she, that still amazingly accurate.

User avatar
byronmullens
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby byronmullens » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 pm

AP-375 wrote:
deliriousxix wrote:Good luck guys! When did you both go complete? I wonder if they did some PT too.. hmmmm

Complete 1/18 --> 2/16
I just don't see decisions going out until next week at the earliest, but my dates changed as well.

RightPrice
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby RightPrice » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Any one in PT have status change today, mine remained constant at 1/3/11 App completed

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

kalvano wrote:
timmah427 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

SMU is very, very, very into LSAT. That more than GPA determines scholarship money.

And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.


Some say that he shakes babies to death if he catches you on facebook during class. All we know is that he's called The Eads.



While "Eads" is a she, that still amazingly accurate.



She will destroy someone the first day of class. Pray it is not you.

User avatar
frognot
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby frognot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Applied FT/PT

My date (1/10/2011) hasn't changed yet. :cry:

Kyllo
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:51 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Kyllo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am

Long time stalker, first time poster so forgive me if my questions have already been answered. I am trying to sift through so many pages of posts for several schools that my eyes are starting to cross.

Submitted app 1/5, first complete 1/12, second complete 1/19 then silence. Do they have an "in review" status or are they like Temple where the complete date just keeps changing until a decision has been made?

I'm sure this has been answered but how have they been notifying those who have been accepted? I see that someone posted that it appears denials and holds are on the status checker.

graceful1
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby graceful1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Kyllo wrote:Long time stalker, first time poster so forgive me if my questions have already been answered. I am trying to sift through so many pages of posts for several schools that my eyes are starting to cross.

Submitted app 1/5, first complete 1/12, second complete 1/19 then silence. Do they have an "in review" status or are they like Temple where the complete date just keeps changing until a decision has been made?

I'm sure this has been answered but how have they been notifying those who have been accepted? I see that someone posted that it appears denials and holds are on the status checker.


My PT admit first appeared on the status checker.

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I read through a lot of the 2010 thread looking for info about the people selected for the Sumners interview, but wasn't able to find much. Does anybody know the numbers of past recipients?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Can any current SMU students speak to how the class is fairing on job prospects ITE?

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Can any current SMU students speak to how the class is fairing on job prospects ITE?


+1...I want to hear about this too!

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby nouseforaname123 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Can any current SMU students speak to how the class is fairing on job prospects ITE?


Nobody seems to be getting 1L paying gigs with big firms. I've had two interviews and I'm hopeful about one (although it could probably be called more like a midlaw gig).

From the inexact research I did, I estimate that roughly 10-15% of the class of 2010 ended up with biglaw jobs and my guess is that when the NLJ releases its go-to-law schools list in the next few weeks we'll find that about 20-25% of the class ended up at NLJ250 jobs. Historically SMU has placed around 30% of its grads in those jobs.

RightPrice
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby RightPrice » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 pm

According to admin office, it will go from App Complete to Decision Render. We will not be notified when we're in review.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”