SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm

ebo wrote:Congrats to all who received their scholarship info- sounds like SMU is just as generous this year.

Has anyone made a Facebook group for us yet?


Congratulations to everyone who got $$$! My eyes are glued to my mailbox.

I don't think so. Go ahead and make one! They also don't have a wikipedia community page (like UT for example... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Universit ... 541?ref=ts) under education. I guess that could be something the school makes itself.

EDIT: nevermind, found it... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dedman-Sc ... 140?ref=ts

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ebo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

simontemplar wrote:I don't think so. Go ahead and make one! They also don't have a wikipedia community page (like UT for example... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Universit ... 541?ref=ts) under education. I guess that could be something the school makes itself.

EDIT: nevermind, found it... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dedman-Sc ... 140?ref=ts

Bill-O doesn't make Facebook groups. He joins them.

nfggcaar
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:55 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby nfggcaar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:34 pm

12thman2011 wrote:Has anybody in College Station gotten theirs yet? My mail hadn't been delivered when I left my house at 11:00.


Just got mine! $33,557/year. Thanks and Gig 'em!

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby swilson215 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 pm

I got my packet today in California! So stoked, I wasn't expecting it until Monday or Tuesday! I got $21,557 per year, contingent on remaining in good standing.

Yayyyyyy!

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ClutchCity24 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Got mine today in Houston. 25,557 a yr and good standing. Extremely excited about this. Good luck to everybody still waiting

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Stonewall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:17 pm

still in this "held for further review limbo".. not cool SMU

gummy19vp
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby gummy19vp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:27 pm

1/2 tuition scholarship for SMU pretty exciting considering my 2.9 GPA

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Stonewall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:31 pm

gummy19vp wrote:1/2 tuition scholarship for SMU pretty exciting considering my 2.9 GPA


damn lsdas crushed you on GPA, 166 def helped though. CONGRATS!

gummy19vp
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby gummy19vp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Stonewall wrote:
gummy19vp wrote:1/2 tuition scholarship for SMU pretty exciting considering my 2.9 GPA


damn lsdas crushed you on GPA, 166 def helped though. CONGRATS!


Lol yeah I had two semesters where I was starting and running my own business that I ended up with all unofficial withdrawals which as you can imagine destroyed my GPA

User avatar
maqkitty214
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby maqkitty214 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 pm

No packet in Chicago yet.

Any mention of ASW or seat deposit due dates? I am impatiently trying to plan my move back to Texas!

graceful1
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby graceful1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:14 pm

maqkitty214 wrote:No packet in Chicago yet.

Any mention of ASW or seat deposit due dates? I am impatiently trying to plan my move back to Texas!

Full-Time Admitted Students Days:
Friday, April 1, 2011, 9:30-2:30
Friday, April 29, 2011, 9:30-2:30

Part-Time Admitted Students Dinners:
Wednesday, March 23, 2011, Tours 5:15 p.m., Dinner 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011, Tours 5:15 p.m., Dinner 6:00-7:30 p.m.

Seat Deposits Due Dates
April 1st - first deposits ($250 - non-refundable) are due - you may pay by check, money order, or credit card (--LinkRemoved--)
June 1st - second deposits ($150 - non-refundable) are due - you man pay by check, money order, or credit card (--LinkRemoved--)

graceful1
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby graceful1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Any PT students receive a scholarship offer?

asuusa
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby asuusa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Wait, the entire seat deposit is only $400? Or is that just yours, and it varies person to person?

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.


Same with me. I've never been dissapointed with $75,000 but then again I've never received that before. haha

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:31 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.
Same with me. I've never been dissapointed with $75,000 but then again I've never received that before. haha
Here's the deal. I had my choices narrowed down to UT or SMU. I really liked SMU and was looking for a justification for turning down Texas. I was hoping for a full ride which would've done the trick for me but now, unless I get the Sumner's scholly, i'll be in Austin.

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.
Same with me. I've never been dissapointed with $75,000 but then again I've never received that before. haha
Here's the deal. I had my choices narrowed down to UT or SMU. I really liked SMU and was looking for a justification for turning down Texas. I was hoping for a full ride which would've done the trick for me but now, unless I get the Sumner's scholly, i'll be in Austin.


I just sent you a pm saying the same thing.

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby lokist86 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.
Same with me. I've never been dissapointed with $75,000 but then again I've never received that before. haha
Here's the deal. I had my choices narrowed down to UT or SMU. I really liked SMU and was looking for a justification for turning down Texas. I was hoping for a full ride which would've done the trick for me but now, unless I get the Sumner's scholly, i'll be in Austin.


With your credentials, I'm really surprised $25k/yr was all they offered to you. Do you think you can negotiate a higher scholarship amount with them? I definitely think you deserve at least 3/4 of tuition covered, if not a full-ride, like you said. Based off LSN's data for 2009-2010, it seems as if SMU favors higher GPA when it comes to schollys. It's surprising to say, but I think your 3.7 is what brought you down. =/

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:41 pm

lokist86 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.
Same with me. I've never been dissapointed with $75,000 but then again I've never received that before. haha
Here's the deal. I had my choices narrowed down to UT or SMU. I really liked SMU and was looking for a justification for turning down Texas. I was hoping for a full ride which would've done the trick for me but now, unless I get the Sumner's scholly, i'll be in Austin.


With your credentials, I'm really surprised $25k/yr was all they offered to you. Do you think you can negotiate a higher scholarship amount with them? I definitely think you deserve at least 3/4 of tuition covered, if not a full-ride, like you said. Based off LSN's data for 2009-2010, it seems as if SMU favors higher GPA when it comes to schollys. It's surprising to say, but I think your 3.7 is what brought you down. =/

Sadly, I agree. This blows

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my packet. $25k per year. I'm a little disappointed.

Same $ for me, despite your higher numbers. Seems to be a pretty standard package.

I'm excited about the offer but conflicted about it at the same time. My plan was always to leave TX but applied to SMU in case I changed my mind, and now I highly doubt that any other OOS school will offer me a comparable package. What to do :?

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Did they personalize anyones admission/scholarship letter saying "we found particular interest in ________________ ." or something along those lines?

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ClutchCity24 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry to hear that Burg. Anybody with NPH and the hot crazy scale as their avatar would be a great addition for SMU. Maybe you can use the playbook to get the Sumners.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm

simontemplar wrote:Did they personalize anyones admission/scholarship letter saying "we found particular interest in ________________ ." or something along those lines?

Yep, I was president of a student group in UG and they put that. I had a feeling they did something similar for everyone, but it was kinda interesting to see which soft they considered the best part of my application.

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby bergg007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:15 pm

ClutchCity24 wrote:Sorry to hear that Burg. Anybody with NPH and the hot crazy scale as their avatar would be a great addition for SMU. Maybe you can use the playbook to get the Sumners.



Try the Lorenzo Von Matterhorn, it never fails.

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby simontemplar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:16 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:Did they personalize anyones admission/scholarship letter saying "we found particular interest in ________________ ." or something along those lines?

Yep, I was president of a student group in UG and they put that. I had a feeling they did something similar for everyone, but it was kinda interesting to see which soft they considered the best part of my application.


Cool. I'm fairly certain they picked something at random from my resume lol but it was def. a nice touch I think.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, genjustice, Houzy, jstans and 19 guests