SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DamnLSAT

Bronze

Re: SMU 2011

Post by DamnLSAT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Does SMU put their status checker into "under review" or something similar, or do they render a decision from "complete" like Baylor?

bass08

Bronze

Post by bass08 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah I'm not sure why you would think the law library is small. Like Kalvano said, it has 4 stories and a good bunch of spacious areas to work with natural light, etc. Of the schools I visited before i eventually decided on smu, smu's law library is definitely the largest, I think.

Also, the classrooms have been recently renovated, although sometimes they can feel kinda crammed when the room is full...but i guess that's like a lot of schools.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:08 pm

bergg007 wrote:I just can't think of a good reason for them making us wait this long in the first place. When I applied SMU was my number one. Then they made me wait.
That fact that you are impatient does not mean that "they made [you] wait."

SMU promises to mail decisions to ED applicants by the end of January. It's not the end of January. If they don't put a decision letter in the mail by Monday, then you can complain that they made you wait. Until then, you're getting what you signed up for.

I suppose you'll also complain about an interviewer who "made you wait" if you have a job interview at 2:00 PM and you show up at noon and they don't see you until the scheduled time?

It's cool to be excited... but complaining about an organization because they are doing exactly what they said they would do makes you look like... well... fill in the blank yourself.
Last edited by Iconoclast on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:08 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:Does SMU put their status checker into "under review" or something similar, or do they render a decision from "complete" like Baylor?
Mine went from "Complete" to "Held for Further Review"

SMUPonyGrad10

New

Post by SMUPonyGrad10 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Speaking as someone who is 42 years old and spent the last four semesters on the campus of SMU in undergrad - those of you who are unimpressed are bang on. The campus is old, very old. The side walks are cracking, the windows are original, well - everything is original. When you say the rooms have been renovated you will be dismayed when you look a little closer - renovated = another coat of paint. The floors are filthy and the facilities feel, smell, etc., etc. like 100 year old buildings. I won't even discuss the restrooms. The law library is small and cluttered. Unless you visit Meadows or Cox School of Business, get ready to be unimpressed and get ready to fight for parking. For $30k/year+, you will be hating life by the end of your first semester. I did.

And for the record, while SMU is old and unimpressive, I don't regret attending and I'd take a "held for further review" in a heart beat. In fact, I'd do cartwheels down the hall way - so everyone, based on my glaring "DENIED" - be thrilled with a held. :mrgreen:

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
DamnLSAT wrote:Does SMU put their status checker into "under review" or something similar, or do they render a decision from "complete" like Baylor?
Ah, thanks. When did you apply?

Also, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is "held" the same thing as WL?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Also, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is "held" the same thing as WL?
I applied 12/5, complete 12/6, I don't know how I wound up getting a decision with ED.

And +1 on the is it like a WL?

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:19 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

No. Held means that you will be reconsidered with the regular decision applicants.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I just can't think of a good reason for them making us wait this long in the first place. When I applied SMU was my number one. Then they made me wait.
That fact that you are impatient does not mean that "they made [you] wait."

SMU promises to mail decisions to ED applicants by the end of January. It's not the end of January. If they don't put a decision letter in the mail by Monday, then you can complain that they made you wait. Until then, you're getting what you signed up for.

I suppose you'll also complain about an interviewer who "made you wait" if you have a job interview at 2:00 PM and you show up at noon and they don't see you until the scheduled time?

It's cool to be excited... but complaining about an organization because they are doing exactly what they said they would do makes you look like... well... fill in the blank yourself.

I didn't think it was a personal attack on you to say I had to wait, geez, overreact much? I knew what I signed up for, yes, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't give out acceptances earlier just like every other law school in the country, sans emory. It's just frustrating to have to wait so long especially when they move the ed deadline by 2 weeks and then still release decisions at the end of january. It's annoying. My complaint isn't that they don't have the right to wait til the end of january, it's just that i think it's stupid that they make us wait until then.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm

bass08 wrote:Yeah I'm not sure why you would think the law library is small. Like Kalvano said, it has 4 stories and a good bunch of spacious areas to work with natural light, etc. Of the schools I visited before i eventually decided on smu, smu's law library is definitely the largest, I think.

Also, the classrooms have been recently renovated, although sometimes they can feel kinda crammed when the room is full...but i guess that's like a lot of schools.

the Law library at my UG is way bigger/ nicer.
SMUPonyGrad10 wrote:Speaking as someone who is 42 years old and spent the last four semesters on the campus of SMU in undergrad - those of you who are unimpressed are bang on. The campus is old, very old. The side walks are cracking, the windows are original, well - everything is original. When you say the rooms have been renovated you will be dismayed when you look a little closer - renovated = another coat of paint. The floors are filthy and the facilities feel, smell, etc., etc. like 100 year old buildings. I won't even discuss the restrooms. The law library is small and cluttered. Unless you visit Meadows or Cox School of Business, get ready to be unimpressed and get ready to fight for parking. For $30k/year+, you will be hating life by the end of your first semester. I did.

And for the record, while SMU is old and unimpressive, I don't regret attending and I'd take a "held for further review" in a heart beat. In fact, I'd do cartwheels down the hall way - so everyone, based on my glaring "DENIED" - be thrilled with a held. :mrgreen:

Best of luck.

thanks.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 pm

When I visited the campus, my general impression was that it was beautiful.

...Of course, I actually couldn't find the law school at first. lol I had to ask a random person who happened to be a law student. Instead of one big building like..Baylor for example...the school is spread out across four buildings. The facilities are characteristic of any old building. Think beautiful facades with cracking paint on the inside.

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:45 pm

SMUPonyGrad10 wrote:Speaking as someone who is 42 years old and spent the last four semesters on the campus of SMU in undergrad - those of you who are unimpressed are bang on. The campus is old, very old. The side walks are cracking, the windows are original, well - everything is original. When you say the rooms have been renovated you will be dismayed when you look a little closer - renovated = another coat of paint. The floors are filthy and the facilities feel, smell, etc., etc. like 100 year old buildings. I won't even discuss the restrooms. The law library is small and cluttered. Unless you visit Meadows or Cox School of Business, get ready to be unimpressed and get ready to fight for parking. For $30k/year+, you will be hating life by the end of your first semester. I did.

Best of luck.
It's a law school, not the French Embassy. But I don't think I've EVER heard the aesthetics of the SMU campus being mentioned as a negative for the school as a whole. Some of the buildings (including the law school) are older inside, but overall the campus itself is as nice as any I've ever visited. Granted, some schools might have newer facilities for their law schools, but how big of a postive/negative can that be, all things considered? I think there's a plethora of more important things to consider in the long run- reputation, location, job prospects, cost of tuition, etc.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:51 pm

ebo wrote:

Best of luck.
It's a law school, not the French Embassy. But I don't think I've EVER heard the aesthetics of the SMU campus being mentioned as a negative for the school as a whole. Some of the buildings (including the law school) are older inside, but overall the campus itself is as nice as any I've ever visited. Granted, some schools might have newer facilities for their law schools, but how big of a postive/negative can that be, all things considered? I think there's a plethora of more important things to consider in the long run- reputation, location, job prospects, cost of tuition, etc.
+1

Although, a parking spot is a beautiful thing...but I remember reading somewhere that the law school had its own parking garage? Can anyone offer any insight on that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm

simontemplar wrote:
ebo wrote:

Best of luck.
+1

Although, a parking spot is a beautiful thing...but I remember reading somewhere that the law school had its own parking garage? Can anyone offer any insight on that?
Yes, it does.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:27 pm

The law school has it's own parking garage directly across the street from the school. Parking isn't an issue.

If the buildings seem older, well, maybe it's because they are? Some of the rooms are old, some aren't. The two biggest classrooms, where you spend a lot of your time, are as nice as any classroom in any law school in the US.

If you want to see old and ugly, go to the UofH campus.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:29 pm

kalvano wrote:The law school has it's own parking garage directly across the street from the school. Parking isn't an issue.

If the buildings seem older, well, maybe it's because they are? Some of the rooms are old, some aren't. The two biggest classrooms, where you spend a lot of your time, are as nice as any classroom in any law school in the US.

If you want to see old and ugly, go to the UofH campus.
Awesome!

P.S. I am staring at my phone, but I'm starting to lose heart. :(

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

ebo wrote:

Best of luck.

I know that and i have better options than SMU that's why I said earlier that they'd have to throw a ton of money my way to make me even consider them. Right now I am sitting on acceptances and scholarships from higher ranked and higher regarded schools, and I don't care if i work in TX so that isn't a draw either. Look I don't mean to crap on anyone's choice to go there, i'm just saying their facilities aren't all that they are cracked up to be here.
Last edited by bergg007 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swiftwings88

New

Post by swiftwings88 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:48 pm

simontemplar wrote:
Awesome!

another work day down and while ive still yet to be eliminated i still haven't heard anything. Ugh.

maqkitty214

New

Post by maqkitty214 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 pm

swiftwings88 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:
Awesome!

another work day down and while ive still yet to be eliminated i still haven't heard anything. Ugh.

I know. It's frustrating not to see a change, but awesome not to have been dinged or held. Whew. Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow!

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

bergg007 wrote:
ebo wrote:

Best of luck.

I know that and i have better options than SMU that's why I said earlier that they'd have to throw a ton of money my way to make me even consider them. Right now I am sitting on acceptances and scholarships from higher ranked and higher regarded schools, and I don't care if i work in TX so that isn't a draw either. Look I don't mean to crap on anyone's choice to go there, i'm just saying their facilities aren't all that they are cracked up to be here.

poor taste?

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 pm

I think we're all getting a little testy- a phone call tomorrow could fix all of this!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Best of luck.
This is right about the facilities. The grounds of the university as a whole are immaculate, and the law school quad looks stately from the outside. However, each building is long overdue for a remodeling. The library is large, but very dated. It was built in the early 70s, and I doubt that it has had a significant remodel since then (with the possible exception of Hillcrest classroom). Walsh (the other large classroom) reminds me of the theater my grandmother used to take me to when I was six. The carpet is old, the seats are creaky, and the HVAC system is all or none. Florence is in bad shape - water damage, cracks, etc. My point is that if you want a modern facility, you should probably look elsewhere. If you're willing to overlook the age and condition of the buildings, I believe SMU has a lot going for it (when compared with other similarly-ranked schools).
Last edited by Billy Batts on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:28 pm

ebo wrote:I think we're all getting a little testy- a phone call tomorrow could fix all of this!
+1 word

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm

I think tomorrow is the day! (I hope) Good luck everyone!

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Same here. 160/3.5x

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”