SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Diamond

Re: SMU 2011

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 pm

I got that with a 3.2/164.

Just apply early.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
ebo wrote:Finishing up my app now for full-time early action. SMU is my first choice.

non-URM
2 yrs. WE

You all seem pretty knowledgeable, what would you say my chances are, and (if they're good) what kind of scholarship $$ would I be looking at? I looked at LSN but I realize that it's very self-selective- also, will this cycle of admissions be considerably harder than last year, or can we expect about the same results?

Good luck everyone
bergg007 wrote:What're my chances for SMU 2.89 UGPA real GPA is 3.2 with a 167 on the october LSAT. I just applied I have mid-weak softs. Sent in a decent diversity statement, but I'm a white dude, just had different experiences. Help me out! Lawschoolnumbers.com gives me hope but what do you think? SMU is my absolute first choice.
I think the LSAT's will make up for low GPA's for both of you. I would say you are both gonna get in but I wouldn't expect much money.

well I hope you're right, I'm going to SMU money or not, well, if I get in...

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 am

bergg007 wrote:What're my chances for SMU 2.89 UGPA real GPA is 3.2 with a 167 on the october LSAT. I just applied I have mid-weak softs. Sent in a decent diversity statement, but I'm a white dude, just had different experiences. Help me out! Lawschoolnumbers.com gives me hope but what do you think? SMU is my absolute first choice.
I think you'll be fine with that LSAT. There's a slim chance that you could only get admitted to the PT program (happened to me when I applied in 09), but I think the early app should secure a spot for you in the day program. Good luck!

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Thirteen wrote:
I think you'll be fine with that LSAT. There's a slim chance that you could only get admitted to the PT program (happened to me when I applied in 09), but I think the early app should secure a spot for you in the day program. Good luck!
Thanks, I hope your right. I think that my diversity statement will put me over the top. ON top of having several hundred hours of community service, I am a religious minority(though definitely not underrepresented) and I have a physical disability.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Ok so I submitted my application last Thursday and haven't received an e-mail or anything. I was able to figure out my login and password for the status checker and it says application received and dated 10/28. My application is complete, they have everything they need. Do they not send out an e-mail or anything stating they have received your application? Also, how long before it will say complete?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abarrios

Bronze

Post by abarrios » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:54 pm

da87 wrote:Ok so I submitted my application last Thursday and haven't received an e-mail or anything. I was able to figure out my login and password for the status checker and it says application received and dated 10/28. My application is complete, they have everything they need. Do they not send out an e-mail or anything stating they have received your application? Also, how long before it will say complete?
How do you get the status checker for SMU? I applied on 10/28 as well and I haven't recieved an e-mail.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 pm

abarrios wrote:
da87 wrote:Ok so I submitted my application last Thursday and haven't received an e-mail or anything. I was able to figure out my login and password for the status checker and it says application received and dated 10/28. My application is complete, they have everything they need. Do they not send out an e-mail or anything stating they have received your application? Also, how long before it will say complete?
How do you get the status checker for SMU? I applied on 10/28 as well and I haven't recieved an e-mail.
SMU's status checker is the same exact one as another school I applied to. Your username is your first initial of you first name plus your last name and then the last 4 numbers of your LSAC account number. Then they just had me create a password. So for example... John Smith would be jsmith0000

Oh, and you can get the status checker link from their website...go to law.smu.edu then prospective students then check application status

abarrios

Bronze

Post by abarrios » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:02 pm

da87 wrote:
abarrios wrote:
SMU's status checker is the same exact one as another school I applied to. Your username is your first initial of you first name plus your last name and then the last 4 numbers of your LSAC account number. Then they just had me create a password. So for example... John Smith would be jsmith0000

Oh, and you can get the status checker link from their website...go to law.smu.edu then prospective students then check application status
Cool thanks a lot.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 pm

abarrios wrote:
da87 wrote:
abarrios wrote:

i can't find where to enter this stuff. when i use the status checker it just tells me that there is no such account. please help
Cool thanks a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 pm

They will send you an email, it just takes a while. Being able to check your status before they send you the email wouldn't do you any good any way, since they are presumably not looking at your app yet. They're certainly not updating your status.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Marionberry wrote:They will send you an email, it just takes a while. Being able to check your status before they send you the email wouldn't do you any good any way, since they are presumably not looking at your app yet. They're certainly not updating your status.
ok thanks, I am just antsy about this whole thing

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:19 pm

bergg007 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:They will send you an email, it just takes a while. Being able to check your status before they send you the email wouldn't do you any good any way, since they are presumably not looking at your app yet. They're certainly not updating your status.
ok thanks, I am just antsy about this whole thing
No problem, I'm right there with you. This whole process is incredibly nerveracking. Good luck!

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Planning on submitting my application tonight. Would it make a whole hell of big difference if I we're to leave out the diversity statement? I'm white with a fairly normal life, but I'm sure I could think of something compelling if it plays a large enough factor in the decision process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

I don't know where the idea came from that everyone should write a diversity statement. If you're middle class and white and you're not gay, disabled, a voodoo priest, or were raised by wolves, a diversity statement is probably not called for.

Am I wrong on this?

Not directed at the previous poster, I can definitely see where one could get the idea that you should write a DS if they let you. I just don't see it that way.

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Marionberry wrote:I don't know where the idea came from that everyone should write a diversity statement. If you're middle class and white and you're not gay, disabled, a voodoo priest, or were raised by wolves, a diversity statement is probably not called for.

Am I wrong on this?
Excuse me, not a diversity statement -- the optional statement that SMU offers.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

What does the prompt say? I just did the PS, an addendum, and the Why SMU statement. Oh, and to answer your original question which I dickishly ignored to get on a soapbox: no, I don't think it would make a difference and submitting a DS-type statment of little substance might actually be detrimental to your app.

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Marionberry wrote:What does the prompt say? I just did the PS, an addendum, and the Why SMU statement.
Optional Admissions Question: Describe any personal accomplishments, achievements, blah blah blah that you think would contribute to a diverse SMU experience. Must be submitted if you would like to be considered for academic schlarships.

Thats about the gist of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Albatross wrote:
Marionberry wrote:What does the prompt say? I just did the PS, an addendum, and the Why SMU statement.
Optional Admissions Question: Describe any personal accomplishments, achievements, blah blah blah that you think would contribute to a diverse SMU experience. Must be submitted if you would like to be considered for academic schlarships.

Ahhh....that is different than what I was imagining, which is the usual "history of overcoming adversity or hardship, racial, socioeconomic etc.". I don't remember that, and I didn't submit one. This is a question for someone more informed than me. Now I'm concerned that I won't be considered for scholarship money since I didn't submit one.

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Albatross wrote:

Was wondering the same thing...I'm not planning on writing one. I doubt the admissions cmte. wants to read an extra BS essay about a white male trying to sound like he brings some sort of diverse perspective

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Albatross wrote:

Ahhh....that is different than what I was imagining, which is the usual "history of overcoming adversity or hardship, racial, socioeconomic etc.". I don't remember that, and I didn't submit one. This is a question for someone more informed than me. Now I'm concerned that I won't be considered for scholarship money since I didn't submit one.
No, it says clearly in the application instructions that all applicants are automatically considered for scholarships as long as they're submitted before the RD deadline

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Albatross wrote:

My thought is that is couldn't hurt you, at worst they would just look at your statement and say, "nice try wonderbread." It doesn't take that long and you can use it at multiple schools. I'd do it if i were you. I wasn't going to write one, but after I wrote it i felt like it would really help. I even sent the same statement to baylor even though they don't ask for it, that may not be as good of an idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:01 pm

[quote="MarionberryAhhh....that is different than what I was imagining, which is the usual "history of overcoming adversity or hardship, racial, socioeconomic etc.". I don't remember that, and I didn't submit one. This is a question for someone more informed than me. Now I'm concerned that I won't be considered for scholarship money since I didn't submit one.[/quote]

No concern necessary. These essays are only suggested if you want to be considered for one of the named scholarships that are only for minority students (Sarah T Hughes scholarship, I believe). As stated above, everyone is considered for the "wonderbread" scholarships.

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Does anyone know if you can apply for FT after you have been accepted for PT? Or if you can apply for PT if you have been denied for FT?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Albatross wrote:Does anyone know if you can apply for FT after you have been accepted for PT? Or if you can apply for PT if you have been denied for FT?
I think I remember reading about someone being denied for the FT program, then having their app considered for PT, but I'm not sure. See if you can find the SMU 2010 thread.

Here's the thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=88637

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Hmm. Also, I just sent in my apps for Bama and SMU. Where is this status checker or ticker or whatever supposed to be for my application?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”