SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MichaelB123

New

Re: SMU 2011

Post by MichaelB123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Thirteen wrote:
cartercl wrote:
texasforever wrote: Everything is relative, the weeks are god awful but most of the normal people go and have crazy drunken shenanigans on the weekends, which is awesome in Dallas. Using the line "Yeah I'm a law student" has yielded a roughly .750 batting average over the past seven weekends, the undergrads here seem to have been bred on silicon and daddy's black card and all you really have to do is look at them, say attorney, and it's a done deal.
This is all I read. Effin awesome.
If you're a decent looking guy with confidence, you're golden in this town.
Yea, but when you all graduate from this mediocre school with no jobs, you will be far from golden. Just my 2 cents.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:00 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
cartercl wrote:
texasforever wrote: Everything is relative, the weeks are god awful but most of the normal people go and have crazy drunken shenanigans on the weekends, which is awesome in Dallas. Using the line "Yeah I'm a law student" has yielded a roughly .750 batting average over the past seven weekends, the undergrads here seem to have been bred on silicon and daddy's black card and all you really have to do is look at them, say attorney, and it's a done deal.
This is all I read. Effin awesome.
Yea, but when you all graduate from this mediocre school with no jobs, you will be far from golden. Just my 2 cents.
Have any questions about the application process, or about life as a 1L at SMU? If you aren't thinking about applying to SMU, why bother posting in the thread?

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Have any questions about the application process, or about life as a 1L at SMU? If you aren't thinking about applying to SMU, why bother posting in the thread?[/quote]

I am going to apply and get accepted. But, I won't be attending. I'm going to wait a long time to withdraw my application after I get accepted just to piss people off.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:14 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Have any questions about the application process, or about life as a 1L at SMU? If you aren't thinking about applying to SMU, why bother posting in the thread?
I am going to apply and get accepted. But, I won't be attending. I'm going to wait a long time to withdraw my application after I get accepted just to piss people off.
Applicants are admitted to law school. If you have any questions about the application process, fire away. If you prefer privacy, feel free to send a PM my way.

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Thirteen wrote:
MichaelB123 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Have any questions about the application process, or about life as a 1L at SMU? If you aren't thinking about applying to SMU, why bother posting in the thread?
Applicants are admitted to law school. If you have any questions about the application process, fire away. If you prefer privacy, feel free to send a PM my way.
Wow, now I feel like an idiot. Getting out of here now... :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Yea, but when you all graduate from this mediocre school with no jobs, you will be far from golden. Just my 2 cents.

Lulz.

Your posting history is...interesting.
Last edited by kalvano on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:35 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
MichaelB123 wrote:
Wow, now I feel like an idiot. Getting out of here now... :oops:
I'm just messing with you. All jokes aside, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions.

abarrios

Bronze

Post by abarrios » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Just curious about what I should write in my "Why SMU" essay. I don't have any compelling reasons for considering SMU besides the school's good reputation. Also, I'm a Texas resident, I want to work in Texas when I graduate, and Dallas seems like a cool place to live.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

abarrios wrote:Just curious about what I should write in my "Why SMU" essay. I don't have any compelling reasons for considering SMU besides the school's good reputation. Also, I'm a Texas resident, I want to work in Texas when I graduate, and Dallas seems like a cool place to live. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
You've already listed the reasons I wrote about last year. Throw in some stuff about the ability to network in the Dallas legal community while in school, and you'll be good to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:57 pm

abarrios wrote:Just curious about what I should write in my "Why SMU" essay. I don't have any compelling reasons for considering SMU besides the school's good reputation. Also, I'm a Texas resident, I want to work in Texas when I graduate, and Dallas seems like a cool place to live.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I agree with Thirteen. Being from Texas and wanting to stay here is reason enough.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

I wrote my Why SMU essay about how I was afraid that UT wouldn't accept me, and that U of H wouldn't give me any money.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Hahahahhaahha well done. Well done.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:53 pm

texasforever wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
texasforever wrote:
kalvano wrote:Get a 164 or better. Submit PS about murdering hookers.

Win.
I put in 19 hour days usually Monday - Thursday, with 17 hours devoted solely towards law school. This isn't nearly enough to get it all done though, but if I put anymore in I would probably kill myself.

Wow. I am interested to see where you end up.
And for God's sake, throw away your cargo shorts and affliction tees when you get to law school and trade them in for a button down and slacks, no one likes looking at a bad jersey shore episode from across the room.
Edited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:55 pm

U mad

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Since he never said (I don't think) that he is in section 002, I find it very amusing that both of you could be together in Torts class right now.

abarrios

Bronze

Post by abarrios » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Marionberry wrote:I wrote my Why SMU essay about how I was afraid that UT wouldn't accept me, and that U of H wouldn't give me any money.
Did you really? This sounds like it would be a bad idea.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Lol, no, that would in fact be at terrible idea. I did the standard crap, no real outstanding reason to go there and it's not my first choice, but I would like to stay in Texas and I think it's a reasonably safe bet. Were I being honest, though, that's probably about what it would have said.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 pm

kalvano wrote:Since he never said (I don't think) that he is in section 002, I find it very amusing that both of you could be together in Torts class right now.
I decided to edit that comment for apparent reasons.

He is in Section 002. Even if he was in our section, it would make no difference to me.

BTW, Kal, shouldn't you being paying attention to Professor Martin instead of looking at TLS? Haha

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:16 pm

maxpayne wrote:
kalvano wrote:Since he never said (I don't think) that he is in section 002, I find it very amusing that both of you could be together in Torts class right now.

He is in Section 002. Even if he was in our section, it would make no difference to me.

BTW, Kal, shouldn't you being paying attention to Professor Martin instead of looking at TLS? Haha

That's why I didn't quote it.

As far as Professor Martin, this is the 4th time he's gone over self-defense. I think I got it.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
maxpayne wrote:

That's why I didn't quote it.

As far as Professor Martin, this is the 4th time he's gone over self-defense. I think I got it.
Very appreciated.

thirdlibra

New

Post by thirdlibra » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:24 pm

This may be a dumb question but i'll ask anyway............ If I'm taking the LSAT this weekend and I'm already signed up for the next one in December should I still apply to SMU before December? I'm almost positive that my score is going to much higher come Christmas time. Also on top of that my GPA will be higher too since im sure ill be getting straight A's this semester. The GPA is really my biggest concern.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sra_sundance

New

Post by sra_sundance » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm interested in thoughts on applying early and the December retake....just in case!

Also, I have a hard time keeping PS type stuff in a 'super serious' tone...does anyone think that it would be inappropriate to mention the lack of chile con queso at my current location in my 'why smu' essay (coupled with the fact that I am born/bred/undergrad in Texas and all family in DFW)

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm going to apply to smu in about a week. But with my numbers I don't think I'll get in.

Gpa 2.7
LSAT 1-150
LSAT 2- this Saturday.

How high would my LSAT be in order to get in to smu. Btw I am a Houston resident born and raised. Went to university of Houston.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 pm

merc280 wrote:I'm going to apply to smu in about a week. But with my numbers I don't think I'll get in.

Gpa 2.7
LSAT 1-150
LSAT 2- this Saturday.

How high would my LSAT be in order to get in to smu. Btw I am a Houston resident born and raised. Went to university of Houston.
probably like a 170. not to be a douche, but they typically want either your GPA or LSAT to be higher than their averages. But with your GPA, your LSAT had better be a lot higher than their average. (approx gpa 3.76 LSAT 164, for the full time program at least)

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:57 pm

according to LSN, last cycle there were only a few people with a 164 or higher who didn't get in to SMU, including GPAs down to around 2.5. I would say 165+, with a polished and well crafted application, and your chances are good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”