SMU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
simontemplar

Bronze

Re: SMU 2011

Post by simontemplar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:28 pm

AP-375 wrote:My application compete date just changed from 1/18 to 2/16. Anyone else? Does anyone know what this means? I've got solid SMU numbers, but I'm still very anxious to get the next phase of my life rolling, etc...
This was on my status checker page: "You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither [sic] of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed."

I'm hoping the "initial review" included stuffing a generous scholarship offer into an envelope. Any ideas?
My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:My application compete date just changed from 1/18 to 2/16. Anyone else? Does anyone know what this means? I've got solid SMU numbers, but I'm still very anxious to get the next phase of my life rolling, etc...
This was on my status checker page: "You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither [sic] of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed."

I'm hoping the "initial review" included stuffing a generous scholarship offer into an envelope. Any ideas?
Mine did the same, really hoping for a call today or tomorrow.
Here, we recover from UT Waitlist misery.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 pm

simontemplar wrote: My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.
Well that's good, because my score is directly equal to my current post count, and rising.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

AP-375 wrote:
simontemplar wrote: My guess is youre in. They straight up told you "denied" or "held" during the last round. I think that a date change signaled acceptances across the board. I think the consensus is that scholarship amounts were heavily influenced by LSAT scores.
Well that's good, because my score is directly equal to my current post count, and rising.
With that LSAT, you'll be fine. I'd be shocked if you weren't admitted in the next round of admits.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Thirteen wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
With that LSAT, you'll be fine. I'd be shocked if you weren't admitted in the next round of admits.
Anyone have ideas on timeframe after date change?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Good luck guys! When did you both go complete? I wonder if they did some PT too.. hmmmm

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:41 pm

deliriousxix wrote:Good luck guys! When did you both go complete? I wonder if they did some PT too.. hmmmm
Complete 1/18 --> 2/16

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 pm

AP-375 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
Anyone have ideas on timeframe after date change?
My status date changed on friday morning 1/28 and then it changed to "admitted" on the following Monday 1/31.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm

It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

SMU is very, very, very into LSAT. That more than GPA determines scholarship money.

And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:37 pm

kalvano wrote:And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.
You get caught on Facebook?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 pm

ebo wrote:
kalvano wrote:And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.
Ah, no. I did not. I don't use the Facebook. Just sort of a general warning.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
ebo wrote:
Ah, no. I did not. I don't use the Facebook. Just sort of a general warning.
Kalvano wasn't the one who got caught :oops:

timmah427

New

Post by timmah427 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 pm

kalvano wrote:It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

SMU is very, very, very into LSAT. That more than GPA determines scholarship money.

And, Top Gear Top Tip - if you attend SMU and draw Eads for any classes, don't screw around on your computer during class.
Some say that he shakes babies to death if he catches you on facebook during class. All we know is that he's called The Eads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:44 pm

timmah427 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It seems as if they are letting people know about holds and denials off the status checker this year. So if your status changes without seeing that, then it's probably good news.

Some say that he shakes babies to death if he catches you on facebook during class. All we know is that he's called The Eads.

While "Eads" is a she, that still amazingly accurate.

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 pm

AP-375 wrote:
deliriousxix wrote:Good luck guys! When did you both go complete? I wonder if they did some PT too.. hmmmm
Complete 1/18 --> 2/16
I just don't see decisions going out until next week at the earliest, but my dates changed as well.

RightPrice

New

Post by RightPrice » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Any one in PT have status change today, mine remained constant at 1/3/11 App completed

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

kalvano wrote:
timmah427 wrote:

While "Eads" is a she, that still amazingly accurate.

She will destroy someone the first day of class. Pray it is not you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

frognot

New

Post by frognot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Applied FT/PT

My date (1/10/2011) hasn't changed yet. :cry:

Kyllo

New

Post by Kyllo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am

Long time stalker, first time poster so forgive me if my questions have already been answered. I am trying to sift through so many pages of posts for several schools that my eyes are starting to cross.

Submitted app 1/5, first complete 1/12, second complete 1/19 then silence. Do they have an "in review" status or are they like Temple where the complete date just keeps changing until a decision has been made?

I'm sure this has been answered but how have they been notifying those who have been accepted? I see that someone posted that it appears denials and holds are on the status checker.

graceful1

New

Post by graceful1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Kyllo wrote:Long time stalker, first time poster so forgive me if my questions have already been answered. I am trying to sift through so many pages of posts for several schools that my eyes are starting to cross.

Submitted app 1/5, first complete 1/12, second complete 1/19 then silence. Do they have an "in review" status or are they like Temple where the complete date just keeps changing until a decision has been made?

I'm sure this has been answered but how have they been notifying those who have been accepted? I see that someone posted that it appears denials and holds are on the status checker.
My PT admit first appeared on the status checker.

12thman2011

New

Post by 12thman2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I read through a lot of the 2010 thread looking for info about the people selected for the Sumners interview, but wasn't able to find much. Does anybody know the numbers of past recipients?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Can any current SMU students speak to how the class is fairing on job prospects ITE?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Can any current SMU students speak to how the class is fairing on job prospects ITE?
+1...I want to hear about this too!

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Can any current SMU students speak to how the class is fairing on job prospects ITE?
Nobody seems to be getting 1L paying gigs with big firms. I've had two interviews and I'm hopeful about one (although it could probably be called more like a midlaw gig).

From the inexact research I did, I estimate that roughly 10-15% of the class of 2010 ended up with biglaw jobs and my guess is that when the NLJ releases its go-to-law schools list in the next few weeks we'll find that about 20-25% of the class ended up at NLJ250 jobs. Historically SMU has placed around 30% of its grads in those jobs.

RightPrice

New

Post by RightPrice » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 pm

According to admin office, it will go from App Complete to Decision Render. We will not be notified when we're in review.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”