SMU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I've been dreaming about an SMU admission for a long time now. I can't hold off on starting this thread any longer. Pony Up everyone!

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 am

I was on campus recently and really enjoyed walking around. The whole campus is beautiful. I poked my head in a few classrooms and they looked great can't wait to get started applying there!

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:35 pm

I'll be applying to SMU as well, it is one of my top choices. Good luck with your app! :D

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I'll be applying to SMU as well, it is one of my top choices. Good luck with your app! :D


Do you mind sharing your numbers? Mine are 161 (retaking in october)/3.74

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I'll be applying to SMU as well, it is one of my top choices. Good luck with your app! :D


Do you mind sharing your numbers? Mine are 161 (retaking in october)/3.74


Sure, I'll PM you with my stats.

annelise88
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby annelise88 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 am

I'll be applying for Fall 2011! I am a foreign applicant though, so I'm currently waiting for LSDAS to evaluate my transcript.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:01 am

annelise88 wrote:I'll be applying for Fall 2011! I am a foreign applicant though, so I'm currently waiting for LSDAS to evaluate my transcript.


awesome, let us know how it goes!

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm

..

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:46 am

I got a fee waiver from them and am looking forward to applying. Best of luck to everyone!

clairecate
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby clairecate » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Here's hoping this year will have better results than the last.

I graduated UG SMU 2010 and was waitlisted for this year - 162, 3.5

GPA is up to 3.64 since graduation and will be retaking the LSAT in October. Plus I've got a pretty nice clerk job at an (undisclosed) law firm downtown.

SMU or bust - good luck y'all!

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:41 pm

clairecate wrote:Here's hoping this year will have better results than the last.

I graduated UG SMU 2010 and was waitlisted for this year - 162, 3.5

GPA is up to 3.64 since graduation and will be retaking the LSAT in October. Plus I've got a pretty nice clerk job at an (undisclosed) law firm downtown.

SMU or bust - good luck y'all!


I asusme you were applying FT. Is that the only thing you're interested in? Did you write a "Why SMU" essay?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:44 pm

You're required to write a "Why SMU" essay.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:46 pm

kalvano wrote:You're required to write a "Why SMU" essay.


whoops

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:49 pm

For what it's worth for you next-year people, SMU seemed to really like LSAT's, and they liked 163-164+.

Also, apply early. They're slow. But their EA deadline is late; I think it was around 12/15 last year.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:54 pm

kalvano wrote:For what it's worth for you next-year people, SMU seemed to really like LSAT's, and they liked 163-164+.

Also, apply early. They're slow. But their EA deadline is late; I think it was around 12/15 last year.


Well that sucks about the EA deadline. Looks like they backed it up this year. From their website: Early Decision
Applications must be postmarked by November 1. All supporting documentation, including your LSDAS report, must be received by November 15. By the end of January, we will mail decisions informing you that your application has been accepted, denied, or held for further review. If your application is held for further review, it will be reconsidered with regular decision applications.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Make sure you do EA, otherwise you won't hear back until almost to the deadlines from other schools.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Does SMU usually offer merit based fee waivers?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cartercl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:44 pm

AA male applying to SMU for Fall 2011 w/ fee waiver!! Really hoping to get in since I live only 3 hours away! I'm in love with this school!

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm

cartercl wrote:AA male applying to SMU for Fall 2011 w/ fee waiver!! Really hoping to get in since I live only 3 hours away! I'm in love with this school!


Is it a merit based fee waiver?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: SMU 2011

Postby cartercl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:49 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
cartercl wrote:AA male applying to SMU for Fall 2011 w/ fee waiver!! Really hoping to get in since I live only 3 hours away! I'm in love with this school!


Is it a merit based fee waiver?


Nah... I just e-mailed admissions and explained how I don't have the money (which I don't) and they sent me a fee waiver code. No questions asked. Try it out.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:51 pm

cartercl wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
cartercl wrote:AA male applying to SMU for Fall 2011 w/ fee waiver!! Really hoping to get in since I live only 3 hours away! I'm in love with this school!


Is it a merit based fee waiver?


Nah... I just e-mailed admissions and explained how I don't have the money (which I don't) and they sent me a fee waiver code. No questions asked. Try it out.


Oh ok cool, thanks! Good luck with your app!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm applying!
163/3.3- retaking in Oct., but applying before the retake.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
cartercl wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
cartercl wrote:AA male applying to SMU for Fall 2011 w/ fee waiver!! Really hoping to get in since I live only 3 hours away! I'm in love with this school!


Is it a merit based fee waiver?


Nah... I just e-mailed admissions and explained how I don't have the money (which I don't) and they sent me a fee waiver code. No questions asked. Try it out.


Oh ok cool, thanks! Good luck with your app!


I emailed for a merit based and got this:
We will honor any LSAC fee waivers. If, however, you are not granted a fee waiver from LSAC, you may request one directly from SMU Dedman School of Law. In order to be considered, please send us (1) a copy of your LSAC fee waiver denial, and (2) a brief statement regarding your need.


I didn't apply for the LSAC so I just figured... it's not gonna happen.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 pm

barbie, you should go ahead and apply for the LSAC one. all they can tell you is no. i did it. all you need is last year's tax return. if they say no, you can apply for one at smu. if they say yes, then you apply everywhere for free. it's a win-win

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: SMU 2011

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:barbie, you should go ahead and apply for the LSAC one. all they can tell you is no. i did it. all you need is last year's tax return. if they say no, you can apply for one at smu. if they say yes, then you apply everywhere for free. it's a win-win


I didn't file my taxesssss. :( :( and before the bashing begins, at least they owe me money, so it's not too bad.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”