Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amers73

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby amers73 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:Dinged.

Whatever. Your loss, ND.

:( sorry to hear.

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 pm

tillie512 wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:
Punisha20 wrote:In today, complete 1/21. Go Irish

f***. all i got in the mail today was financial aid stuff from a school.

c'mon ND. please accept me.

For what it's worth... I found out that I was accepted in an email. Hope you hear good news soon!!

Is there anyone on this thread who is a current ND student? I am trying to figure out if the apartments at Eddy St Commons are mostly undergrads or grad students? Those weren't around when I was in undergrad @ Nd. Thanks!

I'm a 1L and a lot of us live in the foundry. It seems to be more grad students than a lot of the other apartments.

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 am

rganders wrote:Warning to those who think they will like living in South Bend!!!

I live in South Bend currently and hate it. I live here with my wife who works in South Bend. There is only one good restaurant in the South Bend and Elkhart area (Bonefish). She is a pharma rep so we go out to eat 3 or 4 times a week and have visited countless restaurants; I speak from experience. The options for entertainment are drinking, bowling, and movies. One poster said they were afraid of a hick feel. South Bend is a burned out industrial town that if you weren't in the very center of campus you would not know you were in a college town. If you drive 30 seconds away from campus you are in a very sketchy part of town. If you drive 30 seconds the other direction you are in a corn field.

For those who like culture or a unique social life South Bend is not the place to be. Sure there are a lot of activities sponsored by the school but my view of law school is that you would want an occasional escape from the campus and the law school community to catch your breath.

You registered to post this? South Bend is not likely going to be anyone's ideal town, but it's not as bad as this post makes it out to be. You're generally safe if you stay away from the bad parts of town, which are not that close to campus. It is an affordable place to live and drink, and you'll be so busy during law school that you won't have time for all the benefits of a big city anyway. While the town could be better, you are coming here for three school years, not permanently relocating. Chicago is a good time and it's not far at all. Finally, the town being less than perfect actually makes everyone hang out together and builds a sense of community. And make fun of bowling but the school bowling league in the spring semester is a great time. It's basically a pregame for a fun Thursday night.

I would say if you're wondering about life at Notre Dame to come visit. Don't take the word of someone that just registered to make this post. It might not be for you, or you might find that you like the school and the people enough to live in the town for a couple years. I know people that have gone to law school in big cities and they seem to have fewer friends in their class and less fun overall, while racking up more debt.

corvettekid

Postby corvettekid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:30 am

Last edited by corvettekid on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:48 am

brocklanders12 wrote:
rganders wrote:Warning to those who think they will like living in South Bend!!!

I live in South Bend currently and hate it. I live here with my wife who works in South Bend. There is only one good restaurant in the South Bend and Elkhart area (Bonefish). She is a pharma rep so we go out to eat 3 or 4 times a week and have visited countless restaurants; I speak from experience. The options for entertainment are drinking, bowling, and movies. One poster said they were afraid of a hick feel. South Bend is a burned out industrial town that if you weren't in the very center of campus you would not know you were in a college town. If you drive 30 seconds away from campus you are in a very sketchy part of town. If you drive 30 seconds the other direction you are in a corn field.

For those who like culture or a unique social life South Bend is not the place to be. Sure there are a lot of activities sponsored by the school but my view of law school is that you would want an occasional escape from the campus and the law school community to catch your breath.

You registered to post this? South Bend is not likely going to be anyone's ideal town, but it's not as bad as this post makes it out to be. You're generally safe if you stay away from the bad parts of town, which are not that close to campus. It is an affordable place to live and drink, and you'll be so busy during law school that you won't have time for all the benefits of a big city anyway. While the town could be better, you are coming here for three school years, not permanently relocating. Chicago is a good time and it's not far at all. Finally, the town being less than perfect actually makes everyone hang out together and builds a sense of community. And make fun of bowling but the school bowling league in the spring semester is a great time. It's basically a pregame for a fun Thursday night.

I would say if you're wondering about life at Notre Dame to come visit. Don't take the word of someone that just registered to make this post. It might not be for you, or you might find that you like the school and the people enough to live in the town for a couple years. I know people that have gone to law school in big cities and they seem to have fewer friends in their class and less fun overall, while racking up more debt.

Haha, well, I went to school in NY for undergrad and have a pretty good network of friends, tyvm. And I agree that South Bend is a very meh city. However, Notre Dame is an excellent school with a gorgeous campus and beautiful new law building. My cousin went to ND undergrad and loved it. There is a tremendous pride associated with the school, and definitely a social atmosphere. I have no doubt that attending ND law school is enjoyable...despite its location.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Anymore late nov/early Dec completes left?

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 pm

amers73 wrote:Anymore late nov/early Dec completes left?

Applied 11/30, complete 12/15. Still nothing from Notre Dame.

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Lwoods wrote:
brocklanders12 wrote:

Haha, well, I went to school in NY for undergrad and have a pretty good network of friends, tyvm. And I agree that South Bend is a very meh city. However, Notre Dame is an excellent school with a gorgeous campus and beautiful new law building. My cousin went to ND undergrad and loved it. There is a tremendous pride associated with the school, and definitely a social atmosphere. I have no doubt that attending ND law school is enjoyable...despite its location.

Sorry if that came off the wrong way. What I meant is that the people I know who went to school in bigger cities feel less connected to their class. This is strictly anecdotal and definitely a small sample size. It could be the people or those individual schools. My point is that from my experience the downside of South Bend actually becomes a positive because it brings us together. Ultimately, I think everyone should visit whatever schools they are considering and decide on that basis. I just wanted to offer up the opinion of a student at ND who is happy going to school here.

patagonia

Postby patagonia » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Waitlisted with below median numbers. Truly surprised that it wasn't a rejection. I wonder what the chances are of getting off the waitlist. I would rather stay in California, but I would probably turn down warm weather for ND.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:35 pm

anyone got any ND news?

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 pm

None, week 14 :(

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 pm

amers73 wrote:None, week 14 :(

14?! I thought 9 was getting bad :(

So, no. No news here, either.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Alas, we are still in the same boat... I keep half forgetting that I even applied to ND :|

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Hit the 12 week mark yesterday..still nothing. Come on ND...PLEASE

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:

14?! I thought 9 was getting bad :(

So, no. No news here, either.

13 incredibly long weeks since I went complete.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Notre Dame is my first choice, so every day my mailbox is empty my heart sinks a little more.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

amers73 wrote:Notre Dame is my first choice, so every day my mailbox is empty my heart sinks a little more.

Agreed - I would almost certainly go if they'd admit me, unless the money situation somehow turned out to be impossible. Such a gorgeous law school, and (from what I saw) great community. (Please admit me!)

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:01 pm

amers73 wrote:Notre Dame is my first choice, so every day my mailbox is empty my heart sinks a little more.

My heart actually rises a bit every time I open the mailbox and don't have a letter in there from ND. After hearing that most acceptances are by e-mail first then followed up with a mailed package, I do notttt want a letter from them without an e-mail first!

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:07 pm

^^ really? I feel like I've seen lots of people getting their packages in the mail first lately, or its a mixed bag. I just hope I hear something (hopefully good) soon whether e-mail or mail.

goodgrief wrote:Agreed - I would almost certainly go if they'd admit me, unless the money situation somehow turned out to be impossible. Such a gorgeous law school, and (from what I saw) great community. (Please admit me!)

Yeah $$ is gonna be an issue for me now, whereas before applying I didn't think it would be. I have a nice scholarship at another school I really like, so hopefully I'll get something from ND if I do get an acceptance.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm

goodgrief wrote:

Agreed - I would almost certainly go if they'd admit me, unless the money situation somehow turned out to be impossible. Such a gorgeous law school, and (from what I saw) great community. (Please admit me!)

Same here! If they even throw the tiniest of financial bones my way, I'm there. I haven't had a chance to visit, but I really don't think that would do anything to dissuade me.

But scholarships from other schools are making this a really hard decision. I wish ND would make it easier by responding...

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
goodgrief wrote:

Same here! If they even throw the tiniest of financial bones my way, I'm there. I haven't had a chance to visit, but I really don't think that would do anything to dissuade me.

But scholarships from other schools are making this a really hard decision. I wish ND would make it easier by responding...

LS Bound where do you go for undergrad? b/c I also go to a "small-private school in NYC" and I am curious.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Here's hoping St. Patty's Day brings us good news from the Fighting Irish! Unless they're all too distracted by celebrations, of course... :)

amers73

Postby amers73 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:42 pm

goodgrief wrote:Here's hoping St. Patty's Day brings us good news from the Fighting Irish! Unless they're all too distracted by celebrations, of course... :)

Yes! :D I feel like its been days since anybody has heard anything...

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:49 am

ND; please show me some love!!!!

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 am

hokie wrote:ND; please show me some love!!!!

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”