Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
HelltotheNo
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:55 pm

It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby PrayingforHYS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.


This could just be me, but it seems like ND law has much more lay prestige than WUSTL. I believe more ND grads go biglaw than WUSTL (which is known for great midlaw, I guess), so I feel like if ND used their endowment better, they could easily move to where WUSTL is in the USN&WR...that is, if ND even cares about their ranking -- they may be content to be in the same ballpark as WUSTL and IU-B in terms of 2nd tier midwest powers (after NU and UChicago) and then rely on that (alleged) lay prestige to attract applicants.

tazvec
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby tazvec » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.


This could just be me, but it seems like ND law has much more lay prestige than WUSTL. I believe more ND grads go biglaw than WUSTL (which is known for great midlaw, I guess), so I feel like if ND used their endowment better, they could easily move to where WUSTL is in the USN&WR...that is, if ND even cares about their ranking -- they may be content to be in the same ballpark as WUSTL and IU-B in terms of 2nd tier midwest powers (after NU and UChicago) and then rely on that (alleged) lay prestige to attract applicants.

ND has arguably the most massive alum network in the country--hence why the football team has their own tv contract across the country--but there is a reason WUSTL is ranked *much* higher.

User avatar
HelltotheNo
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

tazvec wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.


This could just be me, but it seems like ND law has much more lay prestige than WUSTL. I believe more ND grads go biglaw than WUSTL (which is known for great midlaw, I guess), so I feel like if ND used their endowment better, they could easily move to where WUSTL is in the USN&WR...that is, if ND even cares about their ranking -- they may be content to be in the same ballpark as WUSTL and IU-B in terms of 2nd tier midwest powers (after NU and UChicago) and then rely on that (alleged) lay prestige to attract applicants.

ND has arguably the most massive alum network in the country--hence why the football team has their own tv contract across the country--but there is a reason WUSTL is ranked *much* higher.



ND alumni network is not worth 90K more than IU-B. ND will suffer a hit if they cut back scholarships this year.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby soccerfreak » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 am

HelltotheNo wrote:It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.

agreed. At the beginning of the cycle, WUSTL and Notre Dame were about dead even on my list, with Wash U being in my home city while I really like the different kind of lawyer aspect of ND. However, with a huge scholly from Wash U it will be very hard to ignore that to pay 25k more a year at Notre Dame. Seems the most they are giving out is 20k/year.

pinkzebra
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby pinkzebra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:14 am

soccerfreak wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.

agreed. At the beginning of the cycle, WUSTL and Notre Dame were about dead even on my list, with Wash U being in my home city while I really like the different kind of lawyer aspect of ND. However, with a huge scholly from Wash U it will be very hard to ignore that to pay 25k more a year at Notre Dame. Seems the most they are giving out is 20k/year.

I think one person actually got $25k/year but that person had like a 175/3.9 - which happen to be my stats as well, but I'm a retake (162) so I only got $20k/year... It is definitely hard to ignore WUSTL's scholarships though, considering they gave me $135k...

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:04 pm

pinkzebra wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:It looks like ND is giving out ~ 15K p/y with people holding my numbers. My best guess is that ND struggles very hard this year in attracting the best non-die-hard-catholic time candidates. ND has the endowment, they need to show the $.

agreed. At the beginning of the cycle, WUSTL and Notre Dame were about dead even on my list, with Wash U being in my home city while I really like the different kind of lawyer aspect of ND. However, with a huge scholly from Wash U it will be very hard to ignore that to pay 25k more a year at Notre Dame. Seems the most they are giving out is 20k/year.

I think one person actually got $25k/year but that person had like a 175/3.9 - which happen to be my stats as well, but I'm a retake (162) so I only got $20k/year... It is definitely hard to ignore WUSTL's scholarships though, considering they gave me $135k...


Agreed. Haven't heard back from either ND or WUSTL yet, but despite ND's alumni network, if ND seems to be capping their schollies at 25 (and that was for the ultra >75 candidate(s) and WUSTL is being twice/thrice as generous with scholarships to similar applicants (i.e. 10k/yr at ND vs. 20 or 30/yr at WUSTL), I'd definitely have to go with WUSTL...

Both ND and WUSTL feed the midwest market, and while ND probably has more lay/biglaw prestige, I'd think you could do just fine if you did well at WUSTL...and had 60k less debt over 3 years.
Last edited by PrayingforHYS on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Just got in via e-mail :)

3.69/158, 166. Wrote the "Why ND," decent softs, submitted early January after receiving my December LSAT score. My preference is California, but the prestige that ND shares is pretty alluring. Hoping for at least some merit aid and a decent need-based grant.

User avatar
waitlisteddd
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby waitlisteddd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Just got in via e-mail :)

3.69/158, 166. Wrote the "Why ND," decent softs, submitted early January after receiving my December LSAT score. My preference is California, but the prestige that ND shares is pretty alluring. Hoping for at least some merit aid and a decent need-based grant.


complete date?

edit: oh and congrats!!

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks :) Complete January 12.

User avatar
amers73
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby amers73 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:33 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Thanks :) Complete January 12.


Huge congrats! I want to hear from ND :( My 12th week of waiting is approaching soon.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:36 pm

amers73 wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:Thanks :) Complete January 12.


Huge congrats! I want to hear from ND :( My 12th week of waiting is approaching soon.

It is refreshing to visit this thread with actual news versus my usual stalking. Your numbers are very similar to mine and your softs are better. Should only be a matter of time. :)

User avatar
amers73
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby amers73 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:It is refreshing to visit this thread with actual news versus my usual stalking. Your numbers are very similar to mine and your softs are better. Should only be a matter of time. :)


Thanks, Here's to hoping! But again congrats!

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Thanks :) Complete January 12.


Wow. Isn't that an impressively fast turnaround for ND? I can only hope that I hear from them in the next week or two...I submitted around the same time as you did! ND is easily my top choice right now, and I'm starting to get antsy (though I'm aware it's only been 6 weeks for me...)

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Hey, any accepted applicants from OOS do the travel stipend form yet? Is there a way I can do it all through the internets or do I need to mail it to them???? Anyone have any luck getting flown out yet?

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Just got in via e-mail :)

3.69/158, 166. Wrote the "Why ND," decent softs, submitted early January after receiving my December LSAT score. My preference is California, but the prestige that ND shares is pretty alluring. Hoping for at least some merit aid and a decent need-based grant.

good work on the retake. i have a feeling it was that and not the Why ND that got you in.

Autoaccept
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby Autoaccept » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Just got the rejection letter (3.6/167). I think C&F issues are hurting me a little bit.

RedItalus10
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby RedItalus10 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Just got in via e-mail :)

3.69/158, 166. Wrote the "Why ND," decent softs, submitted early January after receiving my December LSAT score. My preference is California, but the prestige that ND shares is pretty alluring. Hoping for at least some merit aid and a decent need-based grant.



Wow we almost have the same numbers..159/166/3.70...I got in too! via e-mail on Friday morning..complete 12/13/10...I wrote the Why ND....I want to end up in LA and I think the alumni network would serve me well! At this point ND looks like my top choice (still waiting on USC and Berk though) I'm excited about this acceptance! Congrats to all who got in!!

User avatar
bep244
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby bep244 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I visited ND this past week when I was in the area and talked with the Asst. Director of Admissions. He said that they are still trying to get decisions back within the 4-8 week mark after you go complete. Also said that right now, they're a little backed up, but it sounded like they were trying to get through them quickly. I went complete at the end of January, so I'm just at the 4 week mark.

On another note, the campus was beautiful (even for someone who is not used to the snow), and everyone I met was extremely nice.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:41 pm

bep244 wrote:I visited ND this past week when I was in the area and talked with the Asst. Director of Admissions. He said that they are still trying to get decisions back within the 4-8 week mark after you go complete. Also said that right now, they're a little backed up, but it sounded like they were trying to get through them quickly. I went complete at the end of January, so I'm just at the 4 week mark.

On another note, the campus was beautiful (even for someone who is not used to the snow), and everyone I met was extremely nice.


If bolded is true, this is very exciting news. I'm about to hit 7 weeks, and thought I was still going to have to wait 4-5 more!

goodgrief
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby goodgrief » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
bep244 wrote:I visited ND this past week when I was in the area and talked with the Asst. Director of Admissions. He said that they are still trying to get decisions back within the 4-8 week mark after you go complete. Also said that right now, they're a little backed up, but it sounded like they were trying to get through them quickly. I went complete at the end of January, so I'm just at the 4 week mark.

On another note, the campus was beautiful (even for someone who is not used to the snow), and everyone I met was extremely nice.


If bolded is true, this is very exciting news. I'm about to hit 7 weeks, and thought I was still going to have to wait 4-5 more!



I'm at 11 weeks, so don't get too optimistic. Here's hoping for good decisions for all of us though.

User avatar
amers73
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby amers73 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 pm

In week 12 officially, I hope I'll possibly have a big envelope in the mail? :)
Although IDK given some of the people who were waitlisted.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:51 pm

goodgrief wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:
bep244 wrote:I visited ND this past week when I was in the area and talked with the Asst. Director of Admissions. He said that they are still trying to get decisions back within the 4-8 week mark after you go complete. Also said that right now, they're a little backed up, but it sounded like they were trying to get through them quickly. I went complete at the end of January, so I'm just at the 4 week mark.

On another note, the campus was beautiful (even for someone who is not used to the snow), and everyone I met was extremely nice.


If bolded is true, this is very exciting news. I'm about to hit 7 weeks, and thought I was still going to have to wait 4-5 more!



I'm at 11 weeks, so don't get too optimistic. Here's hoping for good decisions for all of us though.


Well, I guess it was nice to think that way for a few minutes.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 pm

amers73 wrote:In week 12 officially, I hope I'll possibly have a big envelope in the mail? :)
Although IDK given some of the people who were waitlisted.


Week 13-14 here

User avatar
chrisnashville
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby chrisnashville » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Tomorrow will be 13 weeks for me. I'm a number twin with two admits above (3.69/166), but no "Why ND"... mostly because I didn't have a compelling reason to apply, at least any more than the other schools I applied to :-) Figured they'd see right through anything I could craft from just spending an hour or two on their Web site. Crap ;)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, dddddd90, Keilz and 13 guests