Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby stlisforlovers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 am

Sadly I know nothing about ND financial aid (though consensus on this forum seems to be they're accommodating?!? someone correct me if I'm wrong.) But just wanted to give you a major congrats on your acceptance and thank you for your service.
(sorry I can't be more helpful).

User avatar
Trip Coker
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby Trip Coker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question boils down to the fact that I am not trying to negotiate any more merit based aid out of them but I am simply trying to get them to realize that many other schools offer a lot more money to veterans. I definitely don't feel like I am entitled to get more money but in this world you kind of have to be your own best cheerleader and try to get everything you can. Thanks for the congratulations. I was pretty surprised to be accepted but in the back of my mind I was always hopeful. I think the Why ND? essay is incredibly important. I am a white male who wrote his personal statement about being a professional wrestler but I took a lot of time to make my Why ND essay amazing and I think it was the key to my admission since my numbers are nothing special. Best of luck to everyone still waiting and feel free to PM me your Why ND Essay if you are looking for feedback.

teleste
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby teleste » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 am

"Freezing Cold South Bend"

I applied to the U,
I thought they might hire Leach;
Tis absolutely true,
It is nice near South Beach.

But...I'd rather be in freezing cold South Bend.

Sent'n app to USC,
Guess I'm willin' to pay;
Can't complain 'bout Cali,
Weather's great in LA.

But...I'd rather be in freezing cold South Bend.

Texas help'd me a bit,
Reject'n me wasn't fate;
Though my pride did get hit,
Can't help bein' outta state.

And...I'd rather be in freezing cold South Bend.

So come on Notre Dame,
Your school makes me go "awe;"
I'm not just after fame,
I wanna study law!

And...I wanna do it IN FREEZING COLD SOUTH BEND!!!

-Teleste '11

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:34 am

teleste wrote:"Freezing Cold South Bend"

I applied to the U,
I thought they might hire Leach;
Tis absolutely true,
It is nice near South Beach.

But...I'd rather be in freezing cold South Bend.

Sent'n app to USC,
Guess I'm willin' to pay;
Can't complain 'bout Cali,
Weather's great in LA.

But...I'd rather be in freezing cold South Bend.

Texas help'd me a bit,
Reject'n me wasn't fate;
Though my pride did get hit,
Can't help bein' outta state.

And...I'd rather be in freezing cold South Bend.

So come on Notre Dame,
Your school makes me go "awe;"
I'm not just after fame,
I wanna study law!

And...I wanna do it IN FREEZING COLD SOUTH BEND!!!

-Teleste '11


1L here. That made my night. I hope you get in.

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:43 am

I've seen several people discussing financial aid here, so I thought I'd chime in. I'm a 1L.

First, all scholarship/fellowship aid at ND is merit based.

I've heard of a few people negotiating scholarships upward, but only be a couple of thousand (i.e. $18,000 to $20,000, $20,000 to $22,000). You won't offend them, so it doesn't hurt to ask, but it rarely works, and even then, the difference will be immaterial. They don't seem interested in matching other schools.

By and large, ND doesn't give out big scholarships, but they do give out a lot of them. A quick glance at LSN or the ABA data will corroborate this. I got $30,000 per year, and a close friend got full tuition, but those are extraordinarily rare amounts (and would be the highest on LSN). (Interestingly, neither of us are URM, so that wasn't a factor.) The official ABA data says less than 15% of the class gets over half tuition (i.e. $20,000), and nearly all of those are in the $22,000 range. Only two or three people in the law school get full tuition, and those are either the people who are in athletics (i.e. Chris Stewart, who is on the football team) or who meet the requirements of some earmarked scholarship.

I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with questions.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby SrLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Does anyone know how 2Ls are doing at OCI

User avatar
kad1026
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby kad1026 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 pm

just got the acceptance packet in the mail!! submitted my application in mid-november

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby bergg007 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 pm

kad1026 wrote:just got the acceptance packet in the mail!! submitted my application in mid-november


Congratulations!
What state are you in? They probably sent out our stuff on the same day. I called them on monday and they said they had sent out my decision in the mail this week. I'm just wondering how long it takes for a rejection letter to make it to Utah. I'm still hopeful but i've mostly resigned to the fact that i won't get to attend.

User avatar
kad1026
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby kad1026 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm

bergg007 wrote:
kad1026 wrote:just got the acceptance packet in the mail!! submitted my application in mid-november


Congratulations!
What state are you in? They probably sent out our stuff on the same day. I called them on monday and they said they had sent out my decision in the mail this week. I'm just wondering how long it takes for a rejection letter to make it to Utah. I'm still hopeful but i've mostly resigned to the fact that i won't get to attend.


Thanks! I live in NH. I just received the acceptance packet in the mail today. Good luck I hope you get some good news in the mail

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm

yay! congrats!!!

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby krad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Congrats! I submitted in mid/late Nov as well... Maybe I'll have something fun in my mailbox today!

User avatar
Flett
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby Flett » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm

In via email today. Time stamp of 10:05 PST. :shock:

Numbers in profile / URM / Complete 11/17 / I did a Why ND.

fogcue2
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby fogcue2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

in today too, now hoping for enough money for me to feel good about turning down the large Indiana offer.

narayan1121
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby narayan1121 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I called for an update, and was told decisions are coming out about 12 weeks after completion. Does this seem true for those receiving decisions today (or earlier)?

spicymeatball111
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby spicymeatball111 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 pm

in today, 164/3.7, wrote Why ND, SOOO EXCITED!

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby RPK34 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Like others, in today as well!

User avatar
J. Cheever Loophole
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby J. Cheever Loophole » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Many congrats to the newly IN, for the record, when were you all complete?

User avatar
J. Cheever Loophole
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby J. Cheever Loophole » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18 pm

And not to be obsessive-compulsive, well, okay, to be obsessive-compulsive, when were your mailings postmarked?

User avatar
Trip Coker
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby Trip Coker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:26 pm

narayan1121 wrote:I called for an update, and was told decisions are coming out about 12 weeks after completion. Does this seem true for those receiving decisions today (or earlier)?


I don't recall when I went complete but I applied on 10/01/10 and my acceptance package was postmarked 01/26/11 (I got it on 01/29 and I am in Hawaii). so yeah it took quite a while. Definitely worth the wait though once you are in. Conrats to everyone who got in today and best of luck those still patiently awaiting a decision.

User avatar
J. Cheever Loophole
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby J. Cheever Loophole » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:53 am

Is 3 days typical for priority mail? Can anyone verify some more postmarks-receive dates? If the admissions office was closed Wednesday for the blizzard, then Tuesday plus 3 was yesterday. Thursday plus 3 would be Monday, which theoretically would mean no mailings today, unless either more or less than 3 days for priority mail. More is unlikely if Hawaii is 3 days. So if 2 days, then Thursday's mailings could arrive today.

Today is day 10 from when they said it would likely be within 10 days for me.

Can anyone tell that I'm anxious? Seriously, you have no idea.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:28 pm

I've been complete since 11/17... I feel a waitlist coming. :?

pinkzebra
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby pinkzebra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I've been complete since 11/17... I feel a waitlist coming. :?

Complete since 11/23 here... Don't lose hope!!

User avatar
J. Cheever Loophole
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby J. Cheever Loophole » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Nothing today.
From studying the mail patterns, it seems all the acceptance packets have arrived on the third mailing day except angiej who lives within a few hours of Notre Dame.

Therefore:

if they sent a packet on Thursday, it would arrive Monday.
if they sent a packet on Friday, it would arrive Tuesday.

No one should ever receive a ND acceptance packet on Wednesday, except in the case of angiej, because it only took 2 days (could hold true for other northern Indiana/Michiana, Chicagoland residents).

Monday mailings mean a Thursday arrival.
Tuesday mailings mean a Friday arrival.

Wednesday mailings mean a Saturday arrival, and as noted, this past Wednesday the office was not open due to the blizzard.

Apparently, emails are scheduled to coincide with the arrival of the packet. Can anyone falsify this? (Accepted by mail, no email whatsoever?)

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby bergg007 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:36 pm

J. Cheever Loophole wrote:Nothing today.
From studying the mail patterns, it seems all the acceptance packets have arrived on the third mailing day except angiej who lives within a few hours of Notre Dame.

Therefore:

if they sent a packet on Thursday, it would arrive Monday.
if they sent a packet on Friday, it would arrive Tuesday.

No one should ever receive a ND acceptance packet on Wednesday, except in the case of angiej, because it only took 2 days (could hold true for other northern Indiana/Michiana, Chicagoland residents).

Monday mailings mean a Thursday arrival.
Tuesday mailings mean a Friday arrival.

Wednesday mailings mean a Saturday arrival, and as noted, this past Wednesday the office was not open due to the blizzard.

Apparently, emails are scheduled to coincide with the arrival of the packet. Can anyone falsify this? (Accepted by mail, no email whatsoever?)



Mailed monday, still not here... consider your theory debunked.

User avatar
Lovely Ludwig Van
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:37 pm

FYI (for y'all's information), I got the admit packet on Thursday, and the email on Friday. And I live on the West coast so maybe they were expecting a delay or something. Also, I submitted back in mid-November, so I think many people will be hearing from ND soon.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blahblah123, cyclawps, Google Adsense [Bot], JazzyMac, potatocowpower and 12 guests