Notre Dame 2014 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
egilb

New

Re: Notre Dame 2014 dreamers

Post by egilb » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:23 pm

I need to be a part of this thread. ND is absolutely my dream school. I had no idea they had changed to binding ED... I definitely still plan to apply ED, but, evidently, I need to be a little bit more thorough. How is everyone doing on the "Why ND" essay? I want it so badly that I have a ridiculous case of writer's block.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:48 am

fulkersonr1 wrote: Why ND essay is really important and try to articulate not just how much you want to go to ND, but also why it is a better fit for you than other law schools and what you would bring to the ND community.

This gunner is not lying and what he said could not be overstated enough

Also....applying early would be a smart decision. Money tends to dry up quick.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:45 pm

This is why I started this thread, it felt like I was the only one who wanted to get to ND so badly. I'm having a really hard time writing and re-writing because I've been focusing on this application for so long now that it's here it's really hard to put into words why. Not sure if I'm looking forward to or dreading October 2nd. Pushing the deadline back and extending how long they'll accept apps makes me wonder what kind of applicants they're trying to attract these days.

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 am

sckon wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote: Why ND essay is really important and try to articulate not just how much you want to go to ND, but also why it is a better fit for you than other law schools and what you would bring to the ND community.

This gunner is not lying and what he said could not be overstated enough

Also....applying early would be a smart decision. Money tends to dry up quick.
Gunner? LMAO. I think you are still bitter because of your ruined word jumble. Also the fact that we are still frequenting this board shows that (in addition to being super helpful awesome people) we are attempting to find any possible diversion to avoid doing the work we should be spending our time on.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I hold my daily jumble to be sacred sir. You better check yourself before you wreck yourself next time. And yes, this site sadly is a home away from home from the trials and tribulations of the 1L life.

Any prospective students have questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

sckon wrote:I hold my daily jumble to be sacred sir. You better check yourself before you wreck yourself next time. And yes, this site sadly is a home away from home from the trials and tribulations of the 1L life.

Just saw this thread and thought I would throw my hat in here. I would love to go to Notre Dame. It is a reach for me, but with a 3.34/166 I think it is a realistic reach.

Sckon. I would love to hear in general your overall impression of 1L thus far. Everything from classmates, to South Bend and anything in between.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Signing a binding ED application supplement may slightly diminish the importance of the "Why Notre Dame" essay for those above both 75th percentiles since it will be clear that Notre Dame is that applicant's first choice law school & not being used as a back-up school.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:54 pm

I do not know if I would call myself a dreamer per se (NYU is my dream school) but I definitely plan to apply to ND. I live about 3 blocks away from it and have for the last 10 years so it is a rather logical decision to apply. I also work at a local not-for-profit that recieves a surplus of its funding from ND and has very close ties to the community. As a married female, I plan to write my ND essay about being able to stay home while raising my family, being able to continue my job and serve the community, and still assist with some of the volunteer work I do outside of where I work (which is also partially funded via a ND program, lol). One of their old directors retired from there and came to where I work (just to have something to do) and is going to be one of the people on my contact list, and I have 2 LORs from people who are closely affiliated to the law school. While my LSAT isn't as high as I'd like it to be (I am taking the October version and am in the low 160's) I think some of my background will really help. To be honest, not to call ND a safety school, but I am almost considering it one; I live right next to it though and that might be why.

I think it is comletely awesome that you guys love the school, just beware- there isn't a whole lot in South Bend outside of ND. The economy isn't great here either- Elkhart (about 10 miles away) was ranked in the top 10 most unemployed metropolitain areas in the US for QUITE some time. I'd say ND might be a good choice, but don't expect a big night life, or great working opportunities in the area. While they exist, they are rather scarce.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:24 pm

ND is a bit of a dream school for me. My dad went there for UG and I'd love to be a part of the Fighting Irish. Plus, even when the football team is lame...it's still awesome. The only school that I would take over ND would be UT-Austin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 pm

theavrock wrote:
sckon wrote:I hold my daily jumble to be sacred sir. You better check yourself before you wreck yourself next time. And yes, this site sadly is a home away from home from the trials and tribulations of the 1L life.

Just saw this thread and thought I would throw my hat in here. I would love to go to Notre Dame. It is a reach for me, but with a 3.34/166 I think it is a realistic reach.

Sckon. I would love to hear in general your overall impression of 1L thus far. Everything from classmates, to South Bend and anything in between.

You are in realistic reach mode. Our whole class is scattered in terms of numbers. They really do look beyond numbers. 1L life-.........it is a significant amount of work. I think it depends on person to person though depending on how they handle stress. I feel people who surround themselves with stressful people in turn become stressed. There is ample time to have a life though. I try to get done around 6-7 every night so I have the nights to enjoy. There is a weekly bar night, and in terms of our class...there is a daily bar night. South Bend is less than exciting especially if you are coming from a bigger city. It is definitely not a college town, but there are opportunities to have fun. Chicago is close and gamedays are unreal. Generally, and I stress generally, there is not much competition at ND and gunning is a joke. We have our share of goobers but every school does. Its relaxed and easy to meet people. Our facebook group is incredibly active and in fact a solid majority of the class met up either at a BBQ we had or the various bar nights leading up to orientation. I hope I answered everything, let me know if there are any specifics you want answered.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, does anyone at ND have any info about why they've changed the app process? Also, how many people there had ND as a backup?

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 pm

andythefir wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, does anyone at ND have any info about why they've changed the app process? Also, how many people there had ND as a backup?

ABA and LSAC rules ( I assume you are talking about the ED being binding?) .......No clue, a lot of double domers and a fair amount who wanted to go here.

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am

theavrock wrote:

Certainly realistic.

I'm also a 1L here, so if you have any questions, feel free to pm/ask.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 am

App is available today! Good luck everyone!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Just hit submit today. Ah! Who else out there has submitted?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Just submitted. Worked my tail off for 3 years for this next month of misery. Am I still the only EDer?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 pm

I applied RD. Good luck though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:40 pm

I hit submit, the pdf of my application was made and this morning I got an email that they can't send because they haven't processed a recommendation I overnighted to them on Thursday. Given I hope to only apply to 1 school I can't believe how frustrating the LSAC is. My recommender sent a letter a month ago, it got lost, and they can't even confirm if they got the new letter. Worse still, I asked my recommenders to mention ND specifically, so if I get denied/waitlisted I have to submit new ones anyway. Any speculation on whether they will review on the date submitted or the date complete? I guess if I'm the only one to apply ED it's a moot point.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Has anyone already submitted and gotten acknowledgement from ND? I submitted 2 days ago and haven't received anything from them specifically yet.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Nothing on my end.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm

You wont for awhile.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 pm

sckon wrote:You wont for awhile.
This.

Don't be surprised if you don't know your status until A. you're rejected B. you're waitlisted C. you're in.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:17 am

Submitted my application last evening. Now I wait for a rejection letter. :)

HornetGuy

New

Post by HornetGuy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:23 pm

andythefir wrote:This is why I started this thread, it felt like I was the only one who wanted to get to ND so badly.
+!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Watched them beat Pitt yesterday and hoped for a miracle!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”