Notre Dame 2014 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hurricane10

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame 2014 applicants

Post by hurricane10 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:04 am

fedexmalcom wrote:just called to check something.
a regular mail was sent to me yesterday. I guess it would be a waiting list at best.
everyone accepted seemed to be notified by email first.
good luck to everyone!
They sent you something on a Sunday? That seems pretty weird... unless they meant Friday.

renaissanceman83

New

Post by renaissanceman83 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm getting really, really anxious. Is it bad form to call a school to check on your status if they don't provide online status check?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 pm

renaissanceman83 wrote:I'm getting really, really anxious. Is it bad form to call a school to check on your status if they don't provide online status check?
I wouldn't do it, personally. They're just going to give you a generic response, that will leave you no better off than you are now. Even online status checkers have little value, when it comes down to it. The best thing you can do about your anxiousness, try to forget about it (as I have done with all school without status checkers) and stalk this board/LSN if necessary.

francisConn

Bronze

Post by francisConn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

I concur with the above post. It's not gonna help any, and potentially (but not likely, of course) it could yield the law admissions equivalent of a chef spitting on an obnoxious customer's food.

Anyway, as an intro on the thread, I'm 167/3.63 (3.68 once they get my new transcript), don't really know what to expect. I applied to ND because I love the school and its history. They have profs who apparently take the Catholic identity seriously, and the facilities look wonderful. I don't know how practical it would be for me to go, however, as I'm a Texan and I don't know about a career in the Midwest.

ndirish2014

New

Post by ndirish2014 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Normally i would advise against calling the admissions office. However, in my dealings with the admissions office they have been EXTREMELY friendly. Right now it's probably a hectic time for them but i also think they understand that applicants get anxious and i don't think it would have any negative consequences. Maybe try sending Wendy Barnes and email and just asking for your status.

Francisconn- I am a huge Notre Dame fan as well and would pick Notre Dame over some schools in the T14 so take this with a grain of salt but i don't think you would be confined to the midwest. I don't know about Texas but many firms on the East Coast hire ND grads. Alot of people on here disagree but ND really does have an excellent reputation, especially among older folks (likely those who will hire you). And looking at some of last years data provided by the ABA, Notre Dame is only going to keep getting sronger.
Last edited by ndirish2014 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 pm

ndirish2014 wrote:Normally i would advise against calling the admissions office. However, in my dealings with the admissions office they have been EXTREMELY friendly. Right now it's probably a hectic time for them but i also think they understand that applicants get anxious and i don't think it would have any consequences. Maybe try sending Wendy Barnes and email and just asking for your status.

Francisconn- I am a huge Notre Dame fan as well and would pick Notre Dame over some schools in the T14 so take this with a grain of salt but i don't think you would be confined to the midwest. I don't know about Texas but many firms on the East Coast who hire ND grads. Alot of people on here disagree but ND really does have an excellent reputation, especially among older folks (likely those who will hire you). And looking at some of last years data provided by the ABA, Notre Dame is only going to keep getting sronger.
Credited. Of all the schools ranked around it, Notre Dame is most likely the least confined to its region. Its alumni are also VERY loyal.
Last edited by soccerfreak on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 pm

completed on 11/5.
maybe they sent the mail on friday. anyway, I am out of the cycle now and wish everyone waiting good luck!

purduepete2011

New

Post by purduepete2011 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:29 pm

don't be scared to call the admissions office. they are friendly people, and as long as you aren't a tosser, they are there to answer your questions; it is one of their duties.

anyways, i called today, because in the email they sent after receiving my application, a response should have been received after 8 weeks. it is now week 12. i was a little worried something might have gone wrong. the admissions person told me that my letter would be mailed around the end of this week, and i should have it end of this week or beginning of next.

so to those who are waiting and very anxious, hope is possibly on the horizon. for reference, i received the email on 11/1.

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

purduepete2011 wrote:anyways, i called today, because in the email they sent after receiving my application, a response should have been received after 8 weeks. it is now week 12. i was a little worried something might have gone wrong. the admissions person told me that my letter would be mailed around the end of this week, and i should have it end of this week or beginning of next.

so to those who are waiting and very anxious, hope is possibly on the horizon. for reference, i received the email on 11/1.
Hmm, I think it's been 10 weeks for me, so maybe there is a slim chance I'll hear something soon. I would feel much better having a decision from them, since they are one of my top choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gz5hc9

New

Post by gz5hc9 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm

today marks 14 weeks since i received the complete e-mail.

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Lou9 wrote:
purduepete2011 wrote:anyways, i called today, because in the email they sent after receiving my application, a response should have been received after 8 weeks. it is now week 12. i was a little worried something might have gone wrong. the admissions person told me that my letter would be mailed around the end of this week, and i should have it end of this week or beginning of next.

Hmm, I think it's been 10 weeks for me, so maybe there is a slim chance I'll hear something soon. I would feel much better having a decision from them, since they are one of my top choices.

expecting a mail. and i dont think it is a good one.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Miraculously, I'm in! Letter was dated on the 17th. GPA is above 75th LSAT is way below 25th.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:57 pm

angiej wrote:Miraculously, I'm in! Letter was dated on the 17th. GPA is above 75th LSAT is way below 25th.
this makes me want to go check my mail. I hate being let down by an empty mailbox though....on the other hand, I did leave a solicitation from Brooklyn LS in there yesterday, so it won't be empty...

edit: I almost forgot, congrats!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amers73

Bronze

Post by amers73 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 pm

angiej wrote:Miraculously, I'm in! Letter was dated on the 17th. GPA is above 75th LSAT is way below 25th.
Sorry if you said already, but when did you go complete?
Congrats!! :D

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

JenDarby wrote:
this makes me want to go check my mail. I hate being let down by an empty mailbox though....on the other hand, I did leave a solicitation from Brooklyn LS in there yesterday, so it won't be empty...

edit: I almost forgot, congrats!!!
Thanks! I do live close so it may take longer for others to receive. I just wish my grandma would have lived just one more week so I could tell her. I'm a first gen college grad so this is pretty huge. To my family, Notre Dame is like Harvard!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:05 pm

amers73 wrote:
I applied the first week of October and got the weird 6-10 week email and then 6-10 weeks later got the complete email. Either way my guess is ND made an admissions error or their applicant pool is lacking because I was not expecting to get in. I was just merely applying so I wouldn't always have to wonder "what if?"

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

CONGRATS!!! Was it just a letter or was it a packet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gz5hc9

New

Post by gz5hc9 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:07 pm

are you a URM?

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Post by CrimLaw300 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:13 pm

angiej wrote:
amers73 wrote:
I applied the first week of October and got the weird 6-10 week email and then 6-10 weeks later got the complete email. Either way my guess is ND made an admissions error or their applicant pool is lacking because I was not expecting to get in. I was just merely applying so I wouldn't always have to wonder "what if?"
Congrats! Would you mind pming me your stats? Thanks

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

hurricane10 wrote:CONGRATS!!! Was it just a letter or was it a packet?
HUGE packet that included a spiral bound 100ish page booklet.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm

CONGRATS angiej, that's awesome, especially since it is so special to you and your family :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow congrats, angiej! I'm first gen, too, and when I told my mom I got a fee waiver from Notre Dame, she started to cry!!!
It may not be Harvard but its still phenomenal!!!

J. Cheever Loophole

New

Post by J. Cheever Loophole » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Congrats to AngieJ! Pray for the rest of us!

Oh, and when were you complete?? It seems like they are mailing out those who were complete right about the 11-10/11-12 range. Does that fit you?

Edit: Nevermind, just read the earlier post.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Thank you everyone! If I can afford to go, I will. I'm a little torn because IU-Indy was my top choice and I have the opportunity to go sans-tuition. But I think ND would open many more doors.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm

angiej wrote:Thank you everyone! If I can afford to go, I will. I'm a little torn because IU-Indy was my top choice and I have the opportunity to go sans-tuition. But I think ND would open many more doors.
Either way you've got some great things to decide between!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”